What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Movie Club: We're Getting the Band Back Together: Metallica vs Nina Simone Movie Docs (4 Viewers)

I currently have

• Netflix

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Amazon Prime

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • HBO Max

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Hulu

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Disney+

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Criterion

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • TCM Chanel

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
LBMiSF get any award love? 
Not at the Oscars. Won some awards at Sundance and Directors Guild does a rookie of the year award for first feature and Joe Talbot is nominated. The Oscars should adopt that idea and do a first time director and debut acting awards. 

January Movie Club Double Feature

The movie club enters a new year and with it @KarmaPolice and I decided to do something different. We wanted to highlight two movies from 2019 that people likely hadn't seen. On it's face these movies don't seem to have connective tissue. One is a scripted drama about a $4 million dollar home and the other a documentary set in blue collar middle America. However, as we reflect on the decade past, we think it will be very clear how much these movies have in common. I say  think because we haven't seen either of them ourselves LOL. 

2019: The Last Black Man in San Francisco

A young man searches for home in the changing city that seems to have left him behind.

Streaming on Amazon Prime

2019: American Factory

In post-industrial Ohio, a Chinese billionaire opens a new factory in the husk of an abandoned General Motors plant.

Streaming on Netflix

due 2/3 
Have not seen either. Both look very interesting.

I'm surprised anyone liked The Apartment. Since it had voice over narration, I just assumed it would be blown up in here with criticism.
I am fine with some voice over. It works well in some films.

But when it reaches the level of The Thin Red Line where I realize that I am saying "Just shut the F up!" to the screen, it's a little too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am fine with some voice over. It works well in some films.

But when it reaches the level of The Thin Red Line where I realize that I am saying "Just shut the F up!" to the screen, it's a little too much.
This is why "Days of Heaven" is Malick's masterpiece. It's got some but it's almost easy to ignore entirely.

I thought the narration in Days of Heaven was one of the best parts of the movie.  Poetic, at times.
I didn't care for the movie, but agree about the narration. The refined unrefinement of the girl's patter gave it all a Huck Finn quality which matched the story & setting.

And establishing narration, as in The Apartment, is a whole nuther to ongoing narration. It's not only a scene-setter & time-saver, but can be an invitation - an underrated element to storytelling

Barry Lyndon was very narration happy, much more so than I remembered.  The 1844 novel used Lyndon himself as an unreliable narrator but Kubrick decided to change it to an omniscient third person.  The main function of the narration in the movie was traditional exposition to introduce characters and transition from scene to scene.

Barry Lyndon was very narration happy, much more so than I remembered.  The 1844 novel used Lyndon himself as an unreliable narrator but Kubrick decided to change it to an omniscient third person.  The main function of the narration in the movie was traditional exposition to introduce characters and transition from scene to scene.
i would have been a perfect narrator for Barry Lyndon, for i am unreliably omniscient...

The movie would be five hours long then.
"And then our unfortunate subject met Lord Lowell George and together they paid a duchess's ransom for the local villagers to forage locally for magic fungi to go with their cocktails of mead and laudanum and for hours and hours and hours did they ruminate upon the pun of "fungi" and "fun guy" and other mysteries of language and languor and then oh, how loud & ribald did their voices ring with song before the wenching began..."

I generally like documentaries so I was interested in seeing this one (American Factory).  It was interesting, although not very flattering to the Chinese.  They did not come across well at all IMO.

I generally like documentaries so I was interested in seeing this one (American Factory).  It was interesting, although not very flattering to the Chinese.  They did not come across well at all IMO.
i don't think the locals came off much better, but the differences will be the focus of my review

I thought the narration in Days of Heaven was one of the best parts of the movie.  Poetic, at times.
It is sprinkled throughout the film and that suits the narrative very nicely. His films like ""Badlands" and Thin Red Line" (which I mostly like) can cope better with it while others like "Tree of Life" just can't hold up. I *love* "Days of Heaven" tremendously. It's in my top 10, if not top 5. 

Trying to start early, and got 1/2 way through American Factory last night.   Plan is to finish today.  

Glad we didn't pick The Irishman - I've only been able to get through 1 hour of that one so far, and that took 2 tries.  :bag:

Trying to start early, and got 1/2 way through American Factory last night.   Plan is to finish today.  

Glad we didn't pick The Irishman - I've only been able to get through 1 hour of that one so far, and that took 2 tries.  :bag:
Bored with it or fell asleep or interrupted?

absolutely ####in' absurd scene ... a disgrace - looked like my 82 yr old Aunt Lucia (meh, she's actually more spry).

Scorsese oughtta be ashamed. 
Just not something I want to see in movies, but I think unfortunately Pandora's box has been opened on this one before this, but the praise the movie is getting will also encourage it even more.  

absolutely ####in' absurd scene ... a disgrace - looked like my 82 yr old Aunt Lucia (meh, she's actually more spry).

Scorsese oughtta be ashamed. 
I just can’t believe they kept it. The scene would have worked even better if the violence was all implied and heard as we saw the daughter’s face while she viewed it.

All that said, The I loved Irishman and think it’s an absolute classic. On my 2nd watch, the CGI bothered me a lot less.

this aint a movie character - it's the most famous man in America between Elvis & Kennedy. the greatest voice of the common man in our nation's history you get right or you're wrong
As is the point of the movie- don’t matter how big you are, you are likely just a generation or 2 away from being forgotten.

Also the movie isn’t presenting history, it’s presenting what an old guy at a senior home says he remembers 

that's when it gets worse for me, because i remember Hoffa and that wasnt even close to Hoffa

this aint a movie character - it's the most famous man in America between Elvis & Kennedy. the greatest voice of the common man in our nation's history you get right or you're wrong
from '73 ... but THIS is the Hoffa i remember - was barely 5 yrs old when this aired, but i knew who he was ... everyone knew who, and what, he was - his charasmatic reach, even some 15+ years from his heyday, was astronomical. 

he was a fascinatingly complex individual ... a GIANT. 

i did not buy Pacino as Jimmy, not for a second.   i got to meet Sally Pro, and that portrayal was spot on ... but not Jimmy - nope. 

Also the movie isn’t presenting history, it’s presenting what an old guy at a senior home says he remembers 
....of a transcendent public figure, not another gangster. you can't not be wrong here - stop trying.

i would insist that Al Smith, Henry Wallace, George Marshall, Norman Vincent Peale be gotten right, too, in order for a piece to be valid, because they are incredibly important, though not well-remembered, public figures and there's footage on them. but Hoffa was bigger than all of em rolled into one

....of a transcendent public figure, not another gangster. you can't not be wrong here - stop trying.

i would insist that Al Smith, Henry Wallace, George Marshall, Norman Vincent Peale be gotten right, too, in order for a piece to be valid, because they are incredibly important, though not well-remembered, public figures and there's footage on them. but Hoffa was bigger than all of em rolled into one
That’s a fair perspective. l enjoyed the movie and the character even if it didn’t capture what he was like in real life. There’s no historical record that Mozart was anything like the movie portrays him. However, it’s a masterpiece of a movie still and I don’t require it to nail down exactly what Mozart was like. We will disagree on this one.

I actually think Amadeus is a good comparison. A biopic like Ray or Lincoln should capture the essence of the person. A story about someone else with a questionable state of mind presenting their own supposed legend that includes a historical figure allows for a lot of leeway. You can still dislike the performance or the direction they wrote it but for me it’s not an automatic disqualifier.

I finished AF this past week. 

Really good, imo. 

While the cultural differences were apparent, most of the "issues" exacerbated by those differences were very common when I was working in the factory setting. 

I had some flashbacks to some of the most frustrating discussions of my life. 

I look forward to the discussion on this in February. 

take as much amphetamine as humanly possible, and wash it down with 3 quarts of unwashed Ethiopian Guji espresso ... i dare ya to stay engaged/awake for the full 3 hrs, even with the aforementioned boosts. 
We are strongly disagreeing on this years movies again. What did you like from this year?

Users who are viewing this thread