What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Movie Club: We're Getting the Band Back Together: Metallica vs Nina Simone Movie Docs (3 Viewers)

I currently have

• Netflix

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Amazon Prime

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • HBO Max

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Hulu

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Disney+

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Criterion

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • TCM Chanel

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
We are strongly disagreeing on this years movies again. What did you like from this year?
meh ... i thought "The Irishman" was ok - i'm not gonna call it #### by any stretch. 

but i didn't find it to be "good", let alone great - it was terribly flawed, and terribly tedious and terribly time consuming. 

but i dug the spin on Sheeran's tall tales.  

it would've been so much better served by an age appropriate cast, and 30 or so minutes chopped (maybe a younger cast would've moved faster, now there's how time coulda been shaved! WALA!)

but Pesci killed it.  so did Ray Romano ... the comedian kid, Mamiscalco, was also remarkable. 

but the aforementioned DeNiro flubs were ridiculous.  and i just could never wrap my head around Pacino as Hoffa - see my earlier posts. 

we heard all about Hoffa when he disappeared ... it was all anyone talked about for weeks/months on end.  one of the kids in our grammar school had his dad also disappear shortly after Hoffa did ... he was a union delegate who worked very closely with Tony Pro - but has never been seen, nor heard from, nor found. 

roughly a week or so after Hoffa vanished THE story hit our 'hoods - that he was encased in a 55 gallon drum (a popular burial method 'round here back in those days), and planted in the north end zone of (the then under construction) Giants Stadium.   

any number of potential killers were bandied about ... but not once did we ever hear Sheeran's name.  never heard of him 'til the "Paint Houses" schtick hit the shelves. 

he didn't hit Crazy Joe, either ... that one's even more rank bull#### than the Hoffa hit.  

so ... yeah, as young as i was, i was still very in touch with the whole sordid affair - no innerwebz or social mediaz back then, so, when word/rumors spread, it was usually from credible sources - especially when it came to O.C. and all it's trappings. 

part of why i was slightly entertained by "The Irishman" was because i wanted to see how Marty was gonna mete out the horse#### fable ... and, once again, it was ok.  

but i will never call it any more than what it was - a grown up fairy tale - and if you're gonna foist like that, plz gimme a cast that can carry the movie proper. 

meh ... i thought "The Irishman" was ok - i'm not gonna call it #### by any stretch. 

but i didn't find it to be "good", let alone great - it was terribly flawed, and terribly tedious and terribly time consuming. 

but i dug the spin on Sheeran's tall tales.  

it would've been so much better served by an age appropriate cast, and 30 or so minutes chopped (maybe a younger cast would've moved faster, now there's how time coulda been shaved! WALA!)

but Pesci killed it.  so did Ray Romano ... the comedian kid, Mamiscalco, was also remarkable. 

but the aforementioned DeNiro flubs were ridiculous.  and i just could never wrap my head around Pacino as Hoffa - see my earlier posts. 

we heard all about Hoffa when he disappeared ... it was all anyone talked about for weeks/months on end.  one of the kids in our grammar school had his dad also disappear shortly after Hoffa did ... he was a union delegate who worked very closely with Tony Pro - but has never been seen, nor heard from, nor found. 

roughly a week or so after Hoffa vanished THE story hit our 'hoods - that he was encased in a 55 gallon drum (a popular burial method 'round here back in those days), and planted in the north end zone of (the then under construction) Giants Stadium.   

any number of potential killers were bandied about ... but not once did we ever hear Sheeran's name.  never heard of him 'til the "Paint Houses" schtick hit the shelves. 

he didn't hit Crazy Joe, either ... that one's even more rank bull#### than the Hoffa hit.  

so ... yeah, as young as i was, i was still very in touch with the whole sordid affair - no innerwebz or social mediaz back then, so, when word/rumors spread, it was usually from credible sources - especially when it came to O.C. and all it's trappings. 

part of why i was slightly entertained by "The Irishman" was because i wanted to see how Marty was gonna mete out the horse#### fable ... and, once again, it was ok.  

but i will never call it any more than what it was - a grown up fairy tale - and if you're gonna foist like that, plz gimme a cast that can carry the movie proper. 
Fair criticisms. I think recasting Deniro fixes the main problem. Who do you put there? Needs to be about 45-55 imo so he can play 30s-80s and needs to be a bigger guy than Deniro as Sheehan was a monster of a man- which I think would have sold the intimidation much more. 

Fair criticisms. I think recasting Deniro fixes the main problem. Who do you put there? Needs to be about 45-55 imo so he can play 30s-80s and needs to be a bigger guy than Deniro as Sheehan was a monster of a man- which I think would have sold the intimidation much more. 

agreed on all -  :thumbup:

and, i will allow that if someone totally unfamiliar with this tale, or Hoffa, or Crazy Joe, etc, enters it from that "virgin" perspective, sure - it can work. 

but they will chuckle at the CGI fails, as they were epic (if not haphazardly ambitious).

as far as who could've been cast?  great question ... and one i'm Shuked on.

not as familiar with the modern crop as i should be. 

agreed on all -  :thumbup:

and, i will allow that if someone totally unfamiliar with this tale, or Hoffa, or Crazy Joe, etc, enters it from that "virgin" perspective, sure - it can work. 

but they will chuckle at the CGI fails, as they were epic (if not haphazardly ambitious).

as far as who could've been cast?  great question ... and one i'm Shuked on.

not as familiar with the modern crop as i should be. 
I know the history of these guys but never lived in their world so as a movie based on historical characters-historical fiction- it worked well for me. The CGI blunders are the one knock for me. Is Liam Neeson too old? He’s big and tough and about 10 years younger than Deniro. Affleck is big but maybe still too young and not quite right. Russel Crowe maybe?

Ilov80s said:
Finished. I’ll save anymore talk till the appropriate time though. 
Cool. I'll follow suit. 

But I will say, I have more to say about this movie than I have in a while. 

It addresses some very important & complicated things, imo. 

Great selection, guys. 

I watched TLBMISF last night. I want to give it a high ranking but I believe it will get a three from me. I think they did some things very well and I see what I think they were going for but I feel they just missed it. I can't quite put my finger on it but something was missing or off?

While I enjoyed the movie it is not one I would ever watch again or really recommend. I would keep my eye out for the director as I feel they may be very good but we will see.

I meant more for me.  I don't think the film got too political, but sometimes it's hard to check those thoughts at the door watching something like this and talking about it.  
I have very political feelings about it as well but they are more ideological and not really about any particular party or politician. I thought AF was balanced but in the end I took out of it what I expected to take out of it.

Confirmation bias? Perhaps. 

Yeah... I think Pacino is an awful actor... and is especially bad as Hoffa.

Ironically, I thought he was pretty good in Hollywood
He’s a ham and always has been but I enjoy it mostly. If the material is good and everything around him is working, his works for me. 

Has it been discussed who the founders of "Higher Ground Productions" are yet?
No but I am sure it will come up in the discussion- it's hard not to point it out but I don't think it really impacts the movie or my perception of it since liberal leaning is the status quo for movie producers. 

It's pretty hard to stick to flicks.  Everything is political since before D.W. Griffith.
Is the political carving out a space for the personal a political act, or is the impetus for politics deeply personal and therefore, politics necessarily follows the person in the state of nature?

I argue the against the politicization of everything, as I think we are individuals before politics.

But I see what you're saying. For the sake of a message board, true discussion with go back to politics at a deep level. 

Is the political carving out a space for the personal a political act, or is the impetus for politics deeply personal and therefore, politics necessarily follows the person in the state of nature?

I argue the against the politicization of everything, as I think we are individuals before politics.

But I see what you're saying. For the sake of a message board, true discussion with go back to politics at a deep level. 
Everything's political. Everything personal is psychological, everything social is political because everything social is hierarchical. 

Everything's political. Everything personal is psychological, everything social is political because everything social is hierarchical. 
The natural rights conception of the state of nature, although a theoretical construct, would disagree with this. It would separate the private sphere from the public one because of the inherent rights held by the individual, rights he or she only trade for security. 

But this again shows why this veers towards PSF territory. I'll be happy to take it over there. It sounds like you guys were worried about the movie discussion getting unsuitably political and thus I will end my role here. Peace.

The natural rights conception of the state of nature, although a theoretical construct, would disagree with this. It would separate the private sphere from the public one because of the inherent rights held by the individual, rights he or she only trade for security. 
yeah, poppycock

*gasps*

You communist igloo-lovin' bird, you...

Nah, lots of people have said that in the centuries since natural rights/state of nature theory was given to us
that's when people were wholly-owned subsidiaries of God, looking for a better explanation. onanological nonsense

But this again shows why this veers towards PSF territory. I'll be happy to take it over there. It sounds like you guys were worried about the movie discussion getting unsuitably political and thus I will end my role here. Peace.
Political is ok. We just don't want it turn in PSF forum style conversation. I would prefer to avoid too much specific mentioning of politicians, parties, etc. I don't think the issue of gentrification, global economies, cultural relations or robotics in the workforce are really partisan issues. 

if it all gets party-political, i agree we should table it. but since our political structures have essentially abandoned us, i think figuring out how to override or circumvent those structures for the benefit of mankind is extra-political, moral even, and has a place in the discussion of art

Political is ok. We just don't want it turn in PSF forum style conversation. I would prefer to avoid too much specific mentioning of politicians, parties, etc. I don't think the issue of gentrification, global economies, cultural relations or robotics in the workforce are really partisan issues. 
Basically my thought was on the lines of what 80s said.  We have to be able to talk about the themes of the movies, but probably best to avoid too many specifics or blame.  

I mean if we can't talk about topics and theme that are in the political arena, we can't talk about movies.  

To be honest, my AF focus is primarily on the factory setting itself and the human dynamics within a corporate environment. 

I see where politics enters, but I think party based stuff won't enter my posts. 

To be honest, my AF focus is primarily on the factory setting itself and the human dynamics within a corporate environment. 

I see where politics enters, but I think party based stuff won't enter my posts. 
Mine was more on the lines of general thoughts while watching it - interesting hearing their thoughts on the Americans, how to interact with them, and their work ethic.  But then part of their work ethic is forced on them by their country, so it's an interesting dynamic.  

Users who are viewing this thread