What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Movie Club: We're Getting the Band Back Together: Metallica vs Nina Simone Movie Docs (4 Viewers)

I currently have

• Netflix

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Amazon Prime

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • HBO Max

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Hulu

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Disney+

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Criterion

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • TCM Chanel

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
I didn't do this month. Had the flu and a super-big work project. Still in this thing - just passed on Feb. Sorry.

That said, Okja would not have piqued my interest. Not many types of movie I do not like, but the "human befriends animal is in peril are separated but it works out bittersweet perhaps and maybe we all learned something" is my least favorite genre.
That is a very specific genre of movies.  

• Smile
Reactions: jwb
We see if this goes over better than our Feb Bong rips.  

Since my horror double feature research, we have been talking about doing a female director double feature.  We THINK we might have found a combo that might be new movies for people, and I like the fact that the directors both co-wrote these movies too.  Both these directors did other movies they are probably more know for : Meek's Cutoff for Reichardt and Winter's Bone for Granik, so I am hoping that most haven't seen one or both of these and since we haven't seen them, we also hope there is enough here for some good movie watching and good discussion.  Both of these are on Prime.    March's movie homework will be:

Leave No Trace (2018)  + Wendy and Lucy (2008)

Since my horror double feature research, we have been talking about doing a female director double feature.  We THINK we might have found a combo that might be new movies for people, and I like the fact that the directors both co-wrote these movies too.  Both these directors did other movies they are probably more know for : Meek's Cutoff for Reichardt and Winter's Bone for Granik, so I am hoping that most haven't seen one or both of these and since we haven't seen them, we also hope there is enough here for some good movie watching and good discussion.  Both of these are on Prime.    March's movie homework will be:

thrilled about Leave No Trace. Winter's Bone was a damn fine move beyond the incandescence of JLaw & i enjoyed Granik's PBS thing on the Nam Vet too. and Ben Foster is my default protagonist when i write screenplays or teleplays and dont have a specific picture of my lead

ETA: and i see Michelle Williams is in W&L. after watching her Gwen Verdon (for my money, the acting performance of 2019) i am down like a clown, Charlie Brown

Last edited by a moderator:
thrilled about Leave No Trace. Winter's Bone was a damn fine move beyond the incandescence of JLaw & i enjoyed Granik's PBS thing on the Nam Vet too. and Ben Foster is my default protagonist when i write screenplays or teleplays and dont have a specific picture of my lead

ETA: and i see Michelle Williams is in W&L. after watching her Gwen Verdon (for my money, the acting performance of 2019) i am down like a clown, Charlie Brown
The one before that - Down to the Bone, I remember really liking too.  

I've posted before how much I :wub:   Michelle Williams.  Easily one of the best if not the best actors working today.  

Thomasin McKenzie stars in Leave No Trace. Now I am excited, she was so good in JoJo Rabbit. She has real star potential. 

I updated the Movie Club Book

@Walking Boot @Eephus @jwb @Charlie Steiner @dickey moe made the cut 

@wazoo11 welcome to the club this month! 

Interesting facts about this week:

- We actually saw a surge in voters with 24. That is  the most votes since our first week in June (Mag7 vs H8). 

- 10 people voted they did not watch Okja, that has to be the most ever by a wide margin and IDK why

- Okja and Snowpiercer rank as the 16th and 17th lowest rated movies we have but The Hateful 8 retained it's status as the lowest rated film club movie

I have not seen either. I look forward to them. I really liked Winters Bone.

I have not seen either. I look forward to them. I really liked Winters Bone.
I take it back. After seeing the poster I have seen Leave no Trace. I remember being disappointed in it but I do not recall why. I suspect I got to geeked up for it prior to watching it. I really like that actor and this movie seemed to have many of the elements that I love. I am looking forward to seeing it again with my expectations tempered a little. This may make it more enjoyable to me. 

Wendy and Tracy I have not seen. I do like when we have a flick I have not seen. I am a little concerned with the dog in the poster. Am I going to need a box of kleenex? Does something bad happen to the dog? 😟

I take it back. After seeing the poster I have seen Leave no Trace. I remember being disappointed in it but I do not recall why. I suspect I got to geeked up for it prior to watching it. I really like that actor and this movie seemed to have many of the elements that I love. I am looking forward to seeing it again with my expectations tempered a little. This may make it more enjoyable to me. 

Wendy and Tracy I have not seen. I do like when we have a flick I have not seen. I am a little concerned with the dog in the poster. Am I going to need a box of kleenex? Does something bad happen to the dog? 😟
Oh I hope not. I literally know nothing about Leave No Trace or Mindy and Amy. 

I’ve seen and enjoyed both.  Leave No Trace was a sleeper favorite of mine in 2018.  Warning:  I burst into tears at one particularly wrenching point near the end of the movie.  

@krista4 - since you've seen them, are there any connecting themes between the movies for discussion purposes? 
I saw them both in the theater, which means it’s been a while since W&L.  The most obvious theme is they both involve people living on the fringes of society, though in LNT it is more by choice.  Also people trying to maintain their dignity while facing poverty.  And in both movies there are significant and important interactions with “authority”; it could be interesting to discuss our feelings on those interactions.  LNT left me with mixed feelings on that topic while W&L was more one-sided in my mind (IIRC).

I think Krista works on more of an indirect variation: The less likely an average moviegoer has seen a movie, the more likely Krista has and vice versa
This is likely true.  I’m in opposite world.

I saw them both in the theater, which means it’s been a while since W&L.  The most obvious theme is they both involve people living on the fringes of society, though in LNT it is more by choice.  Also people trying to maintain their dignity while facing poverty.  And in both movies there are significant and important interactions with “authority”; it could be interesting to discuss our feelings on those interactions.  LNT left me with mixed feelings on that topic while W&L was more one-sided in my mind (IIRC).

This is likely true.  I’m in opposite world.
Question for you and anyone else, what are the couple of movies that the most possible people have seen but you haven't? 

I think my 3 would be Titanic, Avengers End Game (any of those movies) and Avatar. 

Question for you and anyone else, what are the couple of movies that the most possible people have seen but you haven't? 

I think my 3 would be Titanic, Avengers End Game (any of those movies) and Avatar. 
I just looked at this list of the highest grossing movies of all time, using the list that isn’t adjusted for inflation.  Of the top 30 on the list, the only one I have seen is Titanic (regrettably).  Seems to be mostly superhero or comic book movies, with a smattering of kids’ animated stuff.

I just looked at this list of the highest grossing movies of all time, using the list that isn’t adjusted for inflation.  Of the top 30 on the list, the only one I have seen is Titanic (regrettably).  Seems to be mostly superhero or comic book movies, with a smattering of kids’ animated stuff.
That list makes me sad.  

I think my 3 would be Titanic, Avengers End Game (any of those movies) and Avatar
What did James Cameron do to you?

You haven't seen any of the Marvel movies either?

You are missing some really good stuff.

I've grumbled a lot about the differences of what makes money in the theater now vs. 20-30 years ago.  Yeah, there have always been sequels, but I think long gone are the days of something like Fatal Attraction, Ghost, Dead Poets being a top grossing movie now, and those types of movies are in the top 30 grossing movies of the 80s.  

Last edited by a moderator:
You are missing some really good stuff.
I am not opposed to superhero movies - I like Marvel movies more than most in here probably.   Still that list has more bad than good, and most of the good are superhero movies.   Knowing krista's taste, I don't think she is missing much.  

What did James Cameron do to you?

You haven't seen any of the Marvel movies either?
Titanic isn't his fault. It was just my age. It came out when I was probably a freshman in HS and every girl in school was obsessed with it and they saw it over and over. I was "too cool" for it and wasn't interested in some 3 hour love story. I do want to see it at some point. Avatar falls under the super hero thing for me. I am just generally not interested in CGI heavy action movies. 

I haven't seen much there either. Lord of the Rings, that might be it. 

I haven't seen much there either. Lord of the Rings, that might be it. 
Dependent variables include age and whether you have kids.

Which would you recommend most highly?
I mean, there is some good movies in there, but I honestly don't know what people would suggest to somebody like you (not a bad thing, just your tastes and lack of desire to watch comic book movies) with a straight face.  

If I had to pick a top 5 from that list, I think I would lean to the Pixar and animated movies mostly.   Toy Story 3 is great, and I like Incredibles 2 and Aladdin.   Otherwise Jurassic Park would be my #1 and The Dark Knight would be on there too.  Rogue One as well, and I guess a non-Star Wars person could still watch that since it's a pretty self contained story.  

Otherwise the list is a ton of lesser Marvel, Star Wars, and sequels.  

Titanic isn't his fault. It was just my age. It came out when I was probably a freshman in HS and every girl in school was obsessed with it and they saw it over and over. I was "too cool" for it and wasn't interested in some 3 hour love story. I do want to see it at some point. Avatar falls under the super hero thing for me. I am just generally not interested in CGI heavy action movies. 
I could see that.   I remember being bored one night when I was in school in Iowa and going to a midnight show of Titanic by myself.  :bag:

Avatar is about the only movie that I would say was enhanced by 3D in the theater, and I think it's situation where you had to see it in that format.   Besides the visuals, the story and the rest are pretty dumb, and 0 chance I would tell somebody to watch it at home.  

I mean, there is some good movies in there, but I honestly don't know what people would suggest to somebody like you (not a bad thing, just your tastes and lack of desire to watch comic book movies) with a straight face.  

If I had to pick a top 5 from that list, I think I would lean to the Pixar and animated movies mostly.   Toy Story 3 is great, and I like Incredibles 2 and Aladdin.   Otherwise Jurassic Park would be my #1 and The Dark Knight would be on there too.  Rogue One as well, and I guess a non-Star Wars person could still watch that since it's a pretty self contained story.  

Otherwise the list is a ton of lesser Marvel, Star Wars, and sequels.  
I saw (and liked) Toy Story 3; think that was just outside the top 30 but I could have misread.  I saw Jurassic Park but not the sequel that made the list...is that worth seeing?  I should see Dark Knight and Rogue One.  I have seen most Star Wars stuff...I think...but not sure which ones.  I’ve seen at least 1-6 but maybe not 7-9 or the spin-off stuff.  Which ones are Adam Driver in?  He’s hot wait I mean a good actor, ahem.

I could see that.   I remember being bored one night when I was in school in Iowa and going to a midnight show of Titanic by myself.  :bag:

Avatar is about the only movie that I would say was enhanced by 3D in the theater, and I think it's situation where you had to see it in that format.   Besides the visuals, the story and the rest are pretty dumb, and 0 chance I would tell somebody to watch it at home.  
I saw 5 minutes here and 5 minutes there of Avatar when it was on HBO and it did nothing for me.The only chance I ever sit through it is if it comes back for anniversary theater run.

I saw (and liked) Toy Story 3; think that was just outside the top 30 but I could have misread.  I saw Jurassic Park but not the sequel that made the list...is that worth seeing?  I should see Dark Knight and Rogue One.  I have seen most Star Wars stuff...I think...but not sure which ones.  I’ve seen at least 1-6 but maybe not 7-9 or the spin-off stuff.  Which ones are Adam Driver in?  He’s hot wait I mean a good actor, ahem.
I had to look outside the top 30, and scanned the full list. 

#### no to the bolded.  JP is an all-timer for me, but the newest 2 are horrible.  

Driver is in 7-9.  Rogue One is set before the events of the original SW, and ties into it at the end.  If you have seen some and enjoyed them you will probably enjoy it.  I think it's the best SW movie since the new wave came out.  

I saw 5 minutes here and 5 minutes there of Avatar when it was on HBO and it did nothing for me.The only chance I ever sit through it is if it comes back for anniversary theater run.
If they re-release it when the next couple come out, I would think about seeing it again in 3D with the son.  

Which would you recommend most highly?
Looks like Karma covered it. I would add The Lord of the Rings and all the Hobbit stuff as well. I feel those were very well done, although if you just can't deal with fantasy then it is what it is.  Toy stories and other Pixar flicks are good as well.

People can like what they like but that does not mean other stuff is bad. It is just not that persons thing. I am not a fan of bashing things that I see as lesser than what I like. This goes for music as well. 

* I do not really feel this is your angle but I think it scratched my pet peeve of people who do this. I do get suspicious of this activity when I see a list such as yours. It smells of I am smarter than everyone else.

I had to look outside the top 30, and scanned the full list. 

#### no to the bolded.  JP is an all-timer for me, but the newest 2 are horrible.  

Driver is in 7-9.  Rogue One is set before the events of the original SW, and ties into it at the end.  If you have seen some and enjoyed them you will probably enjoy it.  I think it's the best SW movie since the new wave came out.  
I have generally enjoyed the SW franchise so will watch it.  Thanks!

Looks like Karma covered it. I would add The Lord of the Rings and all the Hobbit stuff as well. I feel those were very well done, although if you just can't deal with fantasy then it is what it is.  Toy stories and other Pixar flicks are good as well.

People can like what they like but that does not mean other stuff is bad. It is just not that persons thing. I am not a fan of bashing things that I see as lesser than what I like. This goes for music as well. 

* I do not really feel this is your angle but I think it scratched my pet peeve of people who do this. I do get suspicious of this activity when I see a list such as yours. It smells of I am smarter than everyone else.
Bummer for you on that last bit.  

I was a big fan of Game of Thrones so maybe I’d like the LotR stuff?  I haven’t read any of either of these.

Bummer for you on that last bit.  

I was a big fan of Game of Thrones so maybe I’d like the LotR stuff?  I haven’t read any of either of these.
They aren't quite as dark and adult as Thrones, but I really liked LotR and I'm not typically into fantasy. They are well worth checking out.

Users who are viewing this thread