What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Movie Club: We're Getting the Band Back Together: Metallica vs Nina Simone Movie Docs (1 Viewer)

I currently have

• Netflix

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Amazon Prime

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • HBO Max

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Hulu

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Disney+

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Criterion

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • TCM Chanel

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
April Double Feature: Buddy Cop Standoff

Lethal Weapon vs Bad Boys

Both are available on Netflix. Due 4/27. 

People seemed to want to keep it light given the current state of the world so I figured some nostalgic action comedies might be the movie version of comfort food. 

People seemed to want to keep it light given the current state of the world so I figured some nostalgic action comedies might be the movie version of comfort food. 
picked just the right time for the guy whose Netflix acct i piggybacked on to discontiue

picked just the right time for the guy whose Netflix acct i piggybacked on to discontiue
lol I was looking forward to some very insightful discussion from you on the impact these movies have had on the mindset of the modern American LEO as a shoot first, ask questions later urban cowboy 

Hey - if Michael Bay is quality enough to get the Criterion treatment, he's good enough for the FFA Movie Club!! 
If either of these movies came out today and were as successful, they would be paraded around as proof that original non-franchise movies for adults are still viable. 

Anybody up for a Netflix Party for one or both of these films?

:tfp:

I started watching LW this morning before passing out.   Between the neon blue title cards and the boobies you know in about 2mins we are in the 80s, baby! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me put it like this, people love these movies so much that between them there are 8 movies which is more than all the French Connections, Godfathers and Chinatowns combined.That’s really elite company for American cinema. 
And that's the quarantine extra credit - watch all 8 movies! 

Don’t worry for May we have a great pairing of movies about heroin addicted Vietnam Vet amputees who consider suicide after their entire family is wiped out in a drive by shooting by NAZIs during the Justinian Plague of 541 AD. 

Yeah, I will try to watch them I did like Lethal Weapon. I hated bad boys so much that it ruined Martin Lawrence and to some extent Will Smith for me. I will give it a shot but I am going on record that I am not sure I will make it through the whole movie.

That was a long time ago and I do like some things now that I did not in the past. Maybe I will like Bad boys this time around :shrug: but I doubt it, even hearing the title kind of pisses me off.

Yeah, I will try to watch them I did like Lethal Weapon. I hated bad boys so much that it ruined Martin Lawrence and to some extent Will Smith for me. I will give it a shot but I am going on record that I am not sure I will make it through the whole movie.

That was a long time ago and I do like some things now that I did not in the past. Maybe I will like Bad boys this time around :shrug: but I doubt it, even hearing the title kind of pisses me off.
It’s a stupid movie for sure but Lawrence and Will Smith are just so likable and fun to watch on screen. I don’t think I’ve seen it since I was in college so I might feel differently now myself. 

I’m considering it a bit of nostalgia and a mystery science theater type where we can laugh at it.

What was everyone up to in 87 when Lethal Weapon came out?

I’m considering it a bit of nostalgia and a mystery science theater type where we can laugh at it.

For details about '86 you can go back to the songs of our lives draft, but as great as '86 had been, '87 felt equally :tfp: -ish at the time. I was in my 2nd semester at the University of Maryland (also the 2nd one after Len Bias' death, so there was a pall over the whole school, which didn't help), and I was in a dating drought that had started when I broke up with the hottest girl I would ever date the previous Fall.

I don't think I saw Lethal Weapon in the theater, but rather on cable, and I don't recall being moved that much by it.  I haven't watched it in probably 25 years, so it will be interesting to see what I think of it now.

For details about '86 you can go back to the songs of our lives draft, but as great as '86 had been, '87 felt equally :tfp: -ish at the time. I was in my 2nd semester at the University of Maryland (also the 2nd one after Len Bias' death, so there was a pall over the whole school, which didn't help), and I was in a dating drought that had started when I broke up with the hottest girl I would ever date the previous Fall.

I don't think I saw Lethal Weapon in the theater, but rather on cable, and I don't recall being moved that much by it.  I haven't watched it in probably 25 years, so it will be interesting to see what I think of it now.
I was 5 when LW came out so I know I didn’t see it then but it wasn’t too much later. My mom loved her some Mel Gibson so I know her and my dad rented- likely on BETA still- and let me watch it with them. They were very liberal about what I could watch. I remembering liking and renting it again later when I would start checking out things like Arnold movies, Die Hard, Bruce Lee, etc. I likely haven’t seen it in 20 years and I don’t think I ever saw any of them past part 2.

I was huge into the Celtics back then. I remember Len Bias death was a real shock at the time. 

I was huge into the Celtics back then. I remember Len Bias death was a real shock at the time. 
I went to a rival high school so I got to see him up close before he played college ball. TBH, I didn't think he was going to live up to his hype; he was a physical freak to be sure, but he relied on that too much. He would have had an almost unblockable jumpshot but he wasn't all that good at putting the ball on the floor.

I was 12.   Definitely not watching LW yet - not 100% sure when I did, but I would assume in HS when we started catching up on a lot of R movies that we missed.  

I know I saw Adventures in Babysitting, Harry and the Hendersons, Spaceballs, Monster Squad, and Throw Mama From the Train in the theater though.  

I was 5 when LW came out so I know I didn’t see it then but it wasn’t too much later. My mom loved her some Mel Gibson so I know her and my dad rented- likely on BETA still- and let me watch it with them. They were very liberal about what I could watch. I remembering liking and renting it again later when I would start checking out things like Arnold movies, Die Hard, Bruce Lee, etc. I likely haven’t seen it in 20 years and I don’t think I ever saw any of them past part 2.
I think same here.  I know I've seen all of them despite even then not liking Pesci much.   I think Chris Rock was in #4?   

"I'm too old for this ####!"

Murtaugh says it multiple times in the movie, but it's also the feeling I am battling the more and more I watch movies from my "youth" - mostly 80s movies, but some 90s movies too.   I will hold off specific feeling about LW, but I was wondering if movies like this is a good time to discuss how all of you filter and judge movies from that era when you re-watch them now.  Might not be too much to talk about with these two, so maybe that could add to it.  

Specifically, I TRY to give an honest critical eye to stuff from that time, and when I am watching I am doing a bit of a mental list of movies that I think hold up still today - mostly for future watching with my son.    Seems like a lot have stuff that is cringeworthy viewed through the lens of now - ie does just about every 80s movie have a liberal use of the 3 letter F word?  On top of that just situations that women were in, and I could list multiple other things.   Some I think just aren't as good, but not really anything to do with stuff of that nature, it's just they aren't as good.  

SO - I guess my question is, how much do you think about that when you are watching old movies, and how much does it take away from your rating or enjoyment of the movie?  

Hard to come up with too many examples offhand.  I would say that I am thinking about stuff like Revenge of the Nerds and Sixteen Candles not holding up well in this light.  Or how does something like LW hold up to other action movies of the era like Die Hard or Terminator?

Correction:  it appears the movie I saw was Lethal Weapon 2.  As predicted, I haven’t seen either of these movies.

I don’t expect that to change. ;)  

Lethal Weapon is an American treasure....

Change bad boys to Coffee and Kareem

But og tea leoni is fantastic

Bad Boys was watched last night.  :oldunsure:

Quickest I've gotten to a movie club pairing yet. 

Was going to watch Potrait of a Lady on Fire this am, but knew 0 about it, including that it's a foreign language movie, so I had to abandon that one.  Might pick it up during the 5yos nap time.  I assume that one @krista4 has seen.  

Users who are viewing this thread