What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Movie Club: We're Getting the Band Back Together: Metallica vs Nina Simone Movie Docs (6 Viewers)

I currently have

• Netflix

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Amazon Prime

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • HBO Max

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Hulu

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Disney+

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Criterion

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • TCM Chanel

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
Also speaking of Hulu, and I think it was @krista4 asked me to post if I saw it, AND I think most who will enjoy it in the general movie thread are in here anyway - Portrait of a Lady on Fire is an absolutely stunning movie.  Not sure I could say a negative thing, everything was brilliant.  It would fit into last month's movies as well - written/directed by a woman and probably could pull a couple similar themes like having a lingering dread about reintegrating with society.   Acting was fantastic, as was the cinematography.   

Not an aples to apples, but it reminded me a bit of Phantom Thread, but mostly in the sense of how great it looks, well acted, period drama about relationships, with very few characters in the movie.   I think there are a handful of you in here that will really love this movie.  IMDB has it listed as 2019, but I am assuming it didn't make the cutoff for Oscars.  If that is not the case, it absolutely blows mind that it wasn't nominated for anything.  I would probably give this the nod over Parasite for International Feature.  Again, this might all get fixed this year if it didn't have a release in the states until 2020.  

I would love to hear more thoughts in either thread by people who have seen it, especially the ending sequences.  If I had to take a stab, I would say at least 5-6 of you should bump this way up the queue if you have Hulu.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Also speaking of Hulu, and I think it was @krista4 asked me to post if I saw it, AND I think most who will enjoy it in the general movie thread are in here anyway - Portrait of a Lady on Fire is an absolutely stunning movie.  Not sure I could say a negative thing, everything was brilliant.  It would fit into last month's movies as well - written/directed by a woman and probably could pull a couple similar themes like having a lingering dread about reintegrating with society.   Acting was fantastic, as was the cinematography.   

Not an aples to apples, but it reminded me a bit of Phantom Thread, but mostly in the sense of how great it looks, well acted, period drama about relationships, with very few characters in the movie.   I think there are a handful of you in here that will really love this movie.  IMDB has it listed as 2019, but I am assuming it didn't make the cutoff for Oscars.  If that is not the case, it absolutely blows mind that it wasn't nominated for anything.  I would probably give this the nod over Parasite for International Feature.  Again, this might all get fixed this year if it didn't have a release in the states until 2020.  

I would love to hear more thoughts in either thread by people who have seen it, especially the ending sequences.  If I had to take a stab, I would say at least 5-6 of you should bump this way up the queue if you have Hulu.  
I will absolutely see it before this week is over and chime in. My wife wants to watch it with me but she's been a lot busier with work. You have been really soaking up the French seaside between this and All the Light We Cannot See.

IMDB has it listed as 2019, but I am assuming it didn't make the cutoff for Oscars.  If that is not the case, it absolutely blows mind that it wasn't nominated for anything.  I would probably give this the nod over Parasite for International Feature.  Again, this might all get fixed this year if it didn't have a release in the states until 2020.  
The French Ministry of Culture nominates one film as the country's official entry for the Best International Film Oscar.  Portrait of a Lady on Fire was shortlisted last year but Les Misérables was selected instead. 

Les Misérables is streaming on Amazon Prime.

The French Ministry of Culture nominates one film as the country's official entry for the Best International Film Oscar.  Portrait of a Lady on Fire was shortlisted last year but Les Misérables was selected instead. 

Les Misérables is streaming on Amazon Prime.
I feel like the French don't have the best recent reputation with their film award choices. 

Oh good grief- really?  That is a shame it wont get recognition, but I guess that par for the course for foreign movies.  

I will absolutely see it before this week is over and chime in. My wife wants to watch it with me but she's been a lot busier with work. You have been really soaking up the French seaside between this and All the Light We Cannot See.
Lol.  I guess so.  

Oh good grief- really?  That is a shame it wont get recognition, but I guess that par for the course for foreign movies.  
That's how the Best International/Foreign Language category has run for years.  All nominees get submitted to the Academy by their respective national film boards.  I assume the Academy does a cull to get down to the final nominees.

I think the process would tend to reward more "Important" films rather than smaller, more personal ones.

That's how the Best International/Foreign Language category has run for years.  All nominees get submitted to the Academy by their respective national film boards.  I assume the Academy does a cull to get down to the final nominees.

I think the process would tend to reward more "Important" films rather than smaller, more personal ones.
Thanks- I never knew that.  I guess I ignorantly thought that they just tried to pick the "best" of the crop of foreign movies. 

Thanks- I never knew that.  I guess I ignorantly thought that they just tried to pick the "best" of the crop of foreign movies. 
Their system makes sense. There’s so many movies, there’s no way the Academy can keep up on every movie from every country. 

Their system makes sense. There’s so many movies, there’s no way the Academy can keep up on every movie from every country. 
It does make sense when I think about it.  It also prohibits one country from dominating every year in the Academy Awards as well.  

I looked on imdb, and Portrait won plenty of accolades, I was just surprised about the Academy stuff.  Funny that a remake was submitted over that movie though.  

It does make sense when I think about it.  It also prohibits one country from dominating every year in the Academy Awards as well.  

I looked on imdb, and Portrait won plenty of accolades, I was just surprised about the Academy stuff.  Funny that a remake was submitted over that movie though.  
I am sure every country has it's own level of politics and campaigning. Plus, sometimes other other countries just have a different sense about what is really good or what cultural issues they find relevant at the time. 

That was me, indeed!  Now I'm even more excited to watch it, given this rave review.  Like 80s, I vow to watch in the next week.  

krista4 said:
That was me, indeed!  Now I'm even more excited to watch it, given this rave review.  Like 80s, I vow to watch in the next week.  
Interested to hear more takes.  I found myself mesmerized by the 2 leads.  

I watched this today. I did not feel the same way. I do have some reservations critiquing this as it is a foreign film and well you know how this ends. Prosopis is a dumb American who didn't get it. He should stick to Marvel. I promise you that's not the case.

SPOILERS AHEAD FOR PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE:

The good- Beautiful scenery. Beautiful scenery Beautiful scenery. If ever a movie had me wanting to go see where it was filmed it's this one. The beach,cliff,ocean shots were just perfect.

The use and at times the lack of use in this film was also fantastic.

The last 10 minutes of the movie I felt were very good. I really liked her seeing the painting with the book open to the page number. I liked her interaction with the guy looking at her painting. If I had seen that last 10 minutes without knowing anything I would have felt this is a movie I have to see. As you will see later it did not hold up to those ten minutes for me.

The nudity was nice. Who doesn't like boobs and they were spectacular

I was also vibing on the French language, its pretty in my opinion.

The bad

Part of what I love about movies and books for that matter is the magic of getting lost in a different setting,time,circumstances. I love when I am in the middle of a story that logically I know is bull #### but here I am buying it hook line and sinker. Every once in a while I will just stop reading and try to figure out why I am totally believing what ever amazing or not so amazing thing is happening. It is just amazing to me that an artist has that kind of talent to trick my mind.

For me this movie missed that. I at no time believed I was in the 18th century on an island. I was painfully aware I was watching actors pretend to be in the 18th century. I am pretty sure I saw airplane contrails in the first 5 minutes of this period piece. I also never believed in their relationship. The scene where they were telling each other what the other does when they didnt want to answer or were embarrassed had no set up and did not make sense. It made me think there may have been some heavy editing?I know I was supposed to feel sad when they go there separate ways but the chemistry was so bad I didn't care. 

I also had to eye roll at the subtleness of their first kiss being in a cave that looked like a giant vagina. I caught a few other eye rolling images but what ever.I thought the most interesting character was the maid and wish we had more of her.

I thought the indoor lighting was weird as well. Daytime scenes I thought lighting was very good but night time not so much. 

I just watched Blinded by the Light. I remember the ads for this and wanting to see it This movie may be one of the greatest bait and switches in my movie watching history. From the ads I thought I was going to watch a light hearted comedy that centers around a young Pakistani's love for Bruce Springsteen but that is not what I got.

I did enjoy it and found it to be very touching. I was also surprised to find it was a true story. 

I wont spoil anything here but I do recommend it  Not the best movie you will see but it touched me. It got dusty in here at the end.

I think that's the main difference there - I guess I bought into their relationship a bit more.  I think some of my favorite movies have that "instant attraction" element to it.   I thought the scene that you describe as coming out of nowhere (where they talk about their tics) made perfect sense for that setting - they were basically just spending hours together while painting talking and watching each other's faces.  It was also set up from the opening scene that Marianne has to be able to do that and read people to be good at what she does.  

My one slight knock was I thought it was one beat or scene too long.  I think the scene before was more powerful for me, although I get why they had the final one too.  

I didn't notice vagina caves or contrails, but I will keep a look out on my rewatch.  

Anyway, glad you took a shot on watching it and thanks for the review.  

I think that's the main difference there - I guess I bought into their relationship a bit more.  I think some of my favorite movies have that "instant attraction" element to it.   I thought the scene that you describe as coming out of nowhere (where they talk about their tics) made perfect sense for that setting - they were basically just spending hours together while painting talking and watching each other's faces.  It was also set up from the opening scene that Marianne has to be able to do that and read people to be good at what she does.  

My one slight knock was I thought it was one beat or scene too long.  I think the scene before was more powerful for me, although I get why they had the final one too.  

I didn't notice vagina caves or contrails, but I will keep a look out on my rewatch.  

but we never saw them spending time learning each others tics. That is why I felt it came out of the blue. Compare it to the lighthouse when Pattinson is losing it on Dafoe for all his "tics" which granted were not good but the difference is we had seen those tics. We watched all of that build up. We never saw any of the build up in portrait.

I suspect on rewatch you will notice the cave they have their first kiss in.

While I am talking Lighthouse- That movie is a great example of what I was talking about. Within the first 5 minutes I totally bought in to where they were and what they were doing. I was watching it happen. I was not watching actors act it out. I am not sure if that makes sense the way I am wording it?

Thanks for the recommendations. I believe you have very good taste in movies. I am not going to like them all but the percentage of what I do like will keep me watching what you recommend.

Contrails were when she was being brought to the island on the boat.

Another thing I noticed was that she was wet, stuff in box that went in ocean was wet, but the box was bone dry. Small continuity thing, easy to miss.

Watched Portrait of a Lady on Fire and I was impressed. Gorgeous to look at, I firmly felt the relationship between the leads and as mentioned the ending is really strong. That said, I didn't absolutely love it. It was moving and emotional but not overly entertaining. Very good movie but probably only in the top 7-10 range or so from 2019 for me. 

Watched Portrait of a Lady on Fire and I was impressed. Gorgeous to look at, I firmly felt the relationship between the leads and as mentioned the ending is really strong. That said, I didn't absolutely love it. It was moving and emotional but not overly entertaining. Very good movie but probably only in the top 7-10 range or so from 2019 for me. 
Interesting how different people see different things. I never truly believed their relationship was real. I agree the ending was strong. 

When I saw the contrails in the portrait movie it got me thinking.

What is a movie that you feel is very very good but there is a continuity error or just something that does not belong error that just bugs the #### out of you?

Another example for Game of Throne fans would be the starbucks cup in the final season.

My personal one is Jeremiah Johnson. I LOVE that movie and I was kind of hoping for something similar with Leave no Trace. I love movies where people leave society and go out in the wild on their own. Jeremiah Johnson has a lot of errors but I still love it.

What is a movie that you feel is very very good but there is a continuity error or just something that does not belong error that just bugs the #### out of you?

Another example for Game of Throne fans would be the starbucks cup in the final season.

My personal one is Jeremiah Johnson. I LOVE that movie and I was kind of hoping for something similar with Leave no Trace. I love movies where people leave society and go out in the wild on their own. Jeremiah Johnson has a lot of errors but I still love it.
I need to go back and look at the trails. I didn't notice them. You mentioned lighting and I did think the outdoor night scene looked very weird- almost like a cheap TV show production which I thought I was crazy for thinking because the rest of the film was so gorgeous. 

I will be honest- I don't seem to notice this stuff unless its pointed out to me.  

IF I see it on my own its usually because I hate what I am watching, but I've now gotten to the point that I dont hate watch stuff- too much in my queue for that.  

I mean I notice continuity errors as far as plot goes, but don't notice stuff like airplanes and the like.  

Interesting.  

I guess I got wrapped up in it more than most.  I loved the little details and the things unsaid.  

Like I said, I like it more than Parasite, but that could be because I saw similar themes in Us, and hated that movie so while being great, Parasite kept me a little at arms length.  

Interesting.  

I guess I got wrapped up in it more than most.  I loved the little details and the things unsaid.  

Like I said, I like it more than Parasite, but that could be because I saw similar themes in Us, and hated that movie so while being great, Parasite kept me a little at arms length.  
Here are my spoiler thoughts on Portrait of a Lady on Fire

I think what disappointed me partly were my expectations. Going into, I expected it was going to be a pretty simple story of two young women who have a forbidden secret affair. However, the beginning with the painting in her class, the sister who took her life, the scratched out face on the painting and the ghostly vision got me excited that there was going to be something bigger happening. I was expecting something more mystical or twisted, some kind of mystery maybe. That got me excited but ultimately it was just what I had expected it to be. Nothing wrong with that, it was earnest and vulnerable. I just misread it early on. 

I will be honest- I don't seem to notice this stuff unless its pointed out to me.  

IF I see it on my own its usually because I hate what I am watching, but I've now gotten to the point that I dont hate watch stuff- too much in my queue for that.  

I mean I notice continuity errors as far as plot goes, but don't notice stuff like airplanes and the like.  
Yeah it is kind of a curse. I took some film classes many years ago and that was one of the things that stuck out to me. I don't hate watch either unless its something my wife likes. In that case I hate watch but keep my mouth shut. I work on my acting skills while watching these. 😉

Sports theme would be good as well. I don't think we have done science fiction yet?

Sports is probably the way to go with many of us missing it so much. 

I just watched my DVD of Superbowl XXXVII 

One of my favorites. I giggle every time I see the meme  :lol:

Bad Boys night! Look at this gorgeous Michael Bay color palette.

Its so hilariously bad, amazingly bad! Love it.

Sports theme would be good as well. I don't think we have done science fiction yet?

Sports is probably the way to go with many of us missing it so much. 

I just watched my DVD of Superbowl XXXVII 
Sports was one of our ideas because of the reason you list.  Problem is, there are a ton of options to choose from with our streaming platforms.  

Here are my spoiler thoughts on Portrait of a Lady on Fire

I think what disappointed me partly were my expectations. Going into, I expected it was going to be a pretty simple story of two young women who have a forbidden secret affair. However, the beginning with the painting in her class, the sister who took her life, the scratched out face on the painting and the ghostly vision got me excited that there was going to be something bigger happening. I was expecting something more mystical or twisted, some kind of mystery maybe. That got me excited but ultimately it was just what I had expected it to be. Nothing wrong with that, it was earnest and vulnerable. I just misread it early on. 
I hear you, and don't disagree with any of that.  The two points you make plus the mood of the scene the first time they interact when she has her hood on seemed to point to slightly different movie than we got the rest of the way.  My love for the rest overshadowed that, I guess.  

Hasn't it been two weeks? Is the "discussion" supposed to start tomorrow? Its listed as 27th in the title.  
Hmmm I may have miscounted the weeks/dates. 

Maybe I misunderstood but I was thinking we cut it down to 2 weeks which would make this upcoming week as week 2. 

Miami Vice —> John Woo movies —> Bad Boys —> CSI: Miami

That seems to be the lineage here. 

Some people might laugh at the Michael Bay color palette in Bad Boys but you have to remember this was his first movie- before Pearl Harbor or even Bad Boys 2-  and thus not boringly predictable. 

We are going to do it a little different for the next few discussions.  Tomorrow I am going to announce the next 2 double features and days we are going to talk about them.  Until some of our stay at home orders get lifted, we are going to have an every other week schedule with the official/spoiler discussions for the movies starting every other Monday.   I THINK of the 4 next movies 2 have been seen by a lot, so the discussions might be easier on that front.  

:popcorn:

Finally going to buckle down and watch these this weekend.  I've also decided to include a little 'pre-ramble' to document my thoughts going in, so I can remember and compare them to what I come away with.

Lethal Weapon:

I probably haven't seen this movie in over 25 years, so it's not going to be familiar at first, though I reckon it will come back to me as I watch.  I faintly remember Mel Gibson's character being unhinged, but the more I think about it, he was all over the place with his mania, so my preliminary thought is that because he was still fairly new to us at the time, I might not have recognized that he was trying too hard, which is what my gut tells me going in.  I also expect to see a lot of what is now stereotypical California in the movies, and even the genesis of the "formulaic" big action movies that followed it through the 90's.  Never thought of the similarities with Die Hard, but I'll burn that bridge when I get to it.  That's enough pre-rambling for now, the rest will wait until the comments period opens up.

Finished Lethal Weapon. Will only say now it was better and worse than I remember.  On to Bad Boys next.

Bad Boys pre-ramble:

I've always felt more 'culturally' connected to the 80's than the 90's; maybe because the transition in the popular culture didn't appeal to me the way it did 10 years earlier, and maybe that was a function of my age.  Don't get me wrong, I didn't dislike most things (other than most hip-hop and some rap), I just wasn't into it.  As a result, a lot of it went right by and stars like Will Smith and Martin Lawrence didn't do much for me.  By the time Bad Boys came out, I felt completely out of step with pop culture and didn't feel like I was missing much.  Fortunately, time and reruns have given me the chance to do some personal revisionist history and while I don't regret my feelings about that era, I certainly am willing to go back and look at things I dismissed too easily.  Anyway, that's my perspective going into Bad Boys. Going into it, my gut reaction is much like it was 25 years ago when it came out, that it was a movie that 'had to be made' for 'cultural' purposes, but I'm also hoping to see some level of 'universal' appeal. Wish me luck...

Users who are viewing this thread