What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Movie Club: We're Getting the Band Back Together: Metallica vs Nina Simone Movie Docs (3 Viewers)

I currently have

• Netflix

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Amazon Prime

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • HBO Max

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Hulu

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Disney+

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Criterion

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • TCM Chanel

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
Watched The Conversation during the annual polls that we were doing last year.  I'll see if I can work in a re-watch.  I haven't seen The Lives of Others -- definitely giving that one a watch.

Watched The Conversation during the annual polls that we were doing last year.  I'll see if I can work in a re-watch.  I haven't seen The Lives of Others -- definitely giving that one a watch.
I have only seen it once so I am curious to see how a rewatch is where I know the ending feels. I loved it the first time. 

Looks like 80s is posting, so maybe this is a double post.   AD was right, the next double feature is going to be:

The Conversation + The Lives of Others

This one was my pick, so @ me if you wanna fight about it! ;)
I don't believe I have ever heard of either of these movies. Will be fun to watch two new ones as the last two I had seen before. Are these easy to find? Are you sticking to the formula of movies on Netflix and Amazon?

I don't believe I have ever heard of either of these movies. Will be fun to watch two new ones as the last two I had seen before. Are these easy to find? Are you sticking to the formula of movies on Netflix and Amazon?
Oh sorry, important info. The Conversation is on Amazon Prime and The Lives of Others are on Netflix.  @KarmaPolice maybe edit your post and add that

@prosopis  I haven't seen The Lives of Others but it won the Oscar for Foreign Film and got a lot of love when it came out. Maybe we should warn people that this is a foreign film. Hopefully that isn't totally offputting for anyone. The Conversation is a  70s classic IMO. Francis Ford Coppola, Gene Hackman, John Cazale (Fredo), Harrison Ford, Robert Duvall, Cindy Williams, Terri Garr. It's maybe the most 70s movies of all 70s movies. 

Trailer

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have Prime so I can't re-watch The Conversation, but I saw it a while ago.  I thought it was pretty boring to be honest.  I'm sure I'm in the minority on that.  I haven't seen The Lives of Others but look forward to checking it out.

I remember very much liking The Lives of Others and have not seen The Conversation. So looking forward to it. 

Has anyone yet looked where to find them?

The Conversation + The Lives of Others

I don't believe I have ever heard of either of these movies. 
LoO i understand missing, but The Conversation is part of the most excellent category in cinema history - John Cazale movies.

He made five flicks: Godfather, G2, Deer Hunter, Dog Day Afternoon and The Conversation. And he was the love & inspiration of Meryl Streep's life. Does it get better?!

My best friend coined the term for the way i like to think of storytelling - the "narrative truth". ...
Thanks for this wonderful breakdown; it has given me some good thoughts.

I will try to elaborate more tonight, but for now, this part:

- The word must be more powerful than the reader. Reading is 2D, so writing must be 3D. The word must take into account all that led up to each moment and all the results of each moment, then integrate those back into the moment without changing it.
... really speaks to me.

I need to think of some other examples to hopefully make my thoughts clearer
I also thought of another writing example that is often polarizing. Hunter S. Thompson. I am not a fan of the man himself or much of his later writing, but his early and mid career gonzo writing is an example of my view of authentic falsehood. I think some of it approaches the "arch" status that you mentioned before, but some of the stuff that I enjoy the most straddles the grey area between "real" and "arch". This can be confusing and off putting to many, but it is something I enjoy reading very much.

I may have some other examples later.

Slightly off-topic, but since there is a reference to Gene Hackman it is a little disappointing that after such a wonderful career  his last role was in “Welcome To Mooseport”.

The Anderson Tapes-

Was the first major film to focus on the pervasiveness of electronic surveillance, from security cameras in public places to hidden recording devices

I also thought of another writing example that is often polarizing. Hunter S. Thompson. I am not a fan of the man himself or much of his later writing, but his early and mid career gonzo writing is an example of my view of authentic falsehood. I think some of it approaches the "arch" status that you mentioned before, but some of the stuff that I enjoy the most straddles the grey area between "real" and "arch". This can be confusing and off putting to many, but it is something I enjoy reading very much.

I may have some other examples later.
You're not going to get much from me on HST. I'm not a great reader, an even worse critical reader. From 1972 til 1997, i dont think i read 10 new books (from '97 to getting my 1st PC in '02, i read 4 books a week in the attempt to give myself the education i had bypassed as a lad). But i read & re-read a half dozen Kurt Vonnegut books, the same number of Raymond Chandler books, Catch-22 and the 2 Fear & Loathing books on a loop throughout that quarter-century. They are magic to me. In a life marked by the effort to figure everything out, i have remained childfully obstinate on those 15 Pantheon books and never gave a 2nd thought to how the tricks were done for fear of losing their effect. I can say something glib like Fear & Loathing are grailquests turned inside out, but that's about it.

Slightly off-topic, but since there is a reference to Gene Hackman it is a little disappointing that after such a wonderful career  his last role was in “Welcome To Mooseport”.
Gene Hackman is totally on topic right now and yes, that is a bummer. Sadly, that is likely pretty common that a legend goes out on a bad note. 

I don't have Prime so I can't re-watch The Conversation, but I saw it a while ago.  I thought it was pretty boring to be honest.  I'm sure I'm in the minority on that.  I haven't seen The Lives of Others but look forward to checking it out.
Yep.  Bored me, too.  Need to rewatch, I guess.

Loved The Lives of Others, though.

Also I love Ebert reviews- he’s so good at getting to the heart of a movie. Here’s a piece on Harry Caul, the main character in The Conversation:

This movie is a sadly observant character study, about a man who has removed himself from life, thinks he can observe it dispassionately at an electronic remove, and finds that all of his barriers are worthless

I think there will be some interesting points of discussion to where we are as a society now in this regard. 

I think there will be some interesting points of discussion to where we are as a society now in this regard. 
Plus, it's one of the very few movies that address THE question of life that nobody talks about.

Got my talking points ready to go on both and i gotta wait til what, Thanksgiving?

Ilov80s said:
Neve heard of that. Have you seen it?
Yes, many long years ago. Don't remember much about it though. But I did remember the title and that it was in the same category as this month's films.
Cast.has many familiar names:

Sean Connery
Dyan Cannon
Martin Balsam
Ralph Meeker
Christopher Walken
Garrett Morris

Andy Dufresne said:
The Conversation was more fun when they added Will Smith to the Hackman equation and called it Enemy of the State.
Oooh.  Does that need to be the extra credit movie?? 

LoO i understand missing, but The Conversation is part of the most excellent category in cinema history - John Cazale movies.

He made five flicks: Godfather, G2, Deer Hunter, Dog Day Afternoon and The Conversation. And he was the love & inspiration of Meryl Streep's life. Does it get better?!
I have seen and love of all of those movies except for The Conversation. I'm excited to see it, I hope it is on par with the others in that list.

You're not going to get much from me on HST. I'm not a great reader, an even worse critical reader. From 1972 til 1997, i dont think i read 10 new books (from '97 to getting my 1st PC in '02, i read 4 books a week in the attempt to give myself the education i had bypassed as a lad). But i read & re-read a half dozen Kurt Vonnegut books, the same number of Raymond Chandler books, Catch-22 and the 2 Fear & Loathing books on a loop throughout that quarter-century. They are magic to me. In a life marked by the effort to figure everything out, i have remained childfully obstinate on those 15 Pantheon books and never gave a 2nd thought to how the tricks were done for fear of losing their effect. I can say something glib like Fear & Loathing are grailquests turned inside out, but that's about it.
Not glib at all to me. I particularly appreciate the Grail quest comparison. 

Oddly, all of this discussion has helped me a lot in my current photo re-development - from print versions to online versions. I still have a good way to go, but I am close to finishing my 1st test run portfolio site. 

Thanks. 

Not glib at all to me. I particularly appreciate the Grail quest comparison. 

Oddly, all of this discussion has helped me a lot in my current photo re-development - from print versions to online versions. I still have a good way to go, but I am close to finishing my 1st test run portfolio site. 

Thanks. 
What’s this?

What’s this?
After years of being too anal to show my serious photography online (because of monitor limitations, and the relativity of what everyone sees on their end), I have decided to finally take the plunge. 

I couldn't publish the print versions, as they are not developed for monitors - so, I have been spending a lot of time trying to find the proper way to express my intent. 

The stuff I have discussed here has been a huge point. I hope to have version 1.0 presentable by the weekend. I'll give you a link then. 

I'm still making changes and adding stuff. And, I will probably need to adjust some things after release and better feedback. 

Online development is much harder than for prints that I make myself. 

After years of being too anal to show my serious photography online (because of monitor limitations, and the relativity of what everyone sees on their end), I have decided to finally take the plunge. 

I couldn't publish the print versions, as they are not developed for monitors - so, I have been spending a lot of time trying to find the proper way to express my intent. 

The stuff I have discussed here has been a huge point. I hope to have version 1.0 presentable by the weekend. I'll give you a link then. 

I'm still making changes and adding stuff. And, I will probably need to adjust some things after release and better feedback. 

Online development is much harder than for prints that I make myself. 
Cool- learn something new everyday!

oh wow- love both of these... especially lives of others (currently on netflix or amazon, I think)... which might be my favorite film of the last ten years.

I'm slammed for the next few weeks- but would love to try.

oh wow- love both of these... especially lives of others (currently on netflix or amazon, I think)... which might be my favorite film of the last ten years.

I'm slammed for the next few weeks- but would love to try.
Lives of Others is on NF, The Conversation is on Prime. I believe Wikkid has a doozy of a critique coming for The Conversation- that is worth coming back for if nothing else. 

Also I love Ebert reviews- he’s so good at getting to the heart of a movie. Here’s a piece on Harry Caul, the main character in The Conversation:

This movie is a sadly observant character study, about a man who has removed himself from life, thinks he can observe it dispassionately at an electronic remove, and finds that all of his barriers are worthless

I love The Conversation and would rank it in my top 10 possibly. I haven't seen Lives since it played in the theaters but I recall it being so very good. Conversation, for me, is all about Hackman's performance with a tip of the hat for Coppola in constructing a masterful puzzle for viewers. It's just a delight!

I don't think I have seen either of these movies. I look forward to the watch after seeing all of the comments.

Hackman is a great actor, and I am surprised that I missed him in this. I even loved him as Lex Luthor in Superman.  Of course, Ned Beatty stole the show in his usual way. 

At least no squealing pigs were involved here ...  :porked:

The director of The Lives of Others is named Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck.  I guess we can shorten that to von Donnersmarck instead of using his full name Florian Maria Georg Christian Graf Henckel von Donnersmarck.

His family has been nobility since the 15th Century and were financiers of the Holy Roman Empire.  By the beginning of the 20th century, they were the second richest family in Prussia after the Krupps but they lost much of their fortune in WWII.  Von Donnersmarck  stands 6'11" so he can probably dunk on Coppola.

The Lives of Others was his first feature length film.  He followed it up with the horrible English-language Depp-Jolie vehicle The Tourist.  I tried starting it on a couple of occasions but never made it through.  I don't mind a really bad movie now and again but The Tourist was particularly dull and uninteresting.   His most recent film is Never Look Away, a fictionalized biopic about German painter Gerard Richter.  It ran in art houses earlier this year and is currently available to stream from the usual places for $5.   It's a much grander epic than The Lives of Others but if you like the older film, you'll probably enjoy Never Look Away

Nice to see that we have 10 people who have never seen The Conversation and 19 who haven't seen TLoO. Hopefully most of you are able to catch it over the next couple weeks!

Trying to watch The Lives of Others now.  The way the subtitles are handled is very annoying.  When an alarm was going off, it would say "(alarm ringing)" in subtitles.  Doorbell, "(doorbell ringing)".  When they picked a lock with an electric tool and it whirred, subtitles said "(whirring)".  Song playing on the radio and it said "(song playing on radio)" in subtitles.  I tried to turn it off, but it's either all subtitles or no subtitles.  WTF?

Trying to watch The Lives of Others now.  The way the subtitles are handled is very annoying.  When an alarm was going off, it would say "(alarm ringing)" in subtitles.  Doorbell, "(doorbell ringing)".  When they picked a lock with an electric tool and it whirred, subtitles said "(whirring)".  Song playing on the radio and it said "(song playing on radio)" in subtitles.  I tried to turn it off, but it's either all subtitles or no subtitles.  WTF?
Weird, I've never seen that before

Users who are viewing this thread