What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Movie Club: We're Getting the Band Back Together: Metallica vs Nina Simone Movie Docs (3 Viewers)

I currently have

• Netflix

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Amazon Prime

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • HBO Max

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Hulu

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Disney+

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Criterion

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • TCM Chanel

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
Warning that The Proposition is a Western. Also, I think The Apartment is a great choice at some point for the list. It's an older movie that doesn't feel old, it has the qualifications of a classic film yet I find a lot of people haven't seen it- often they don't even know much about it. 
I'm aware.  I am pretty open to any type of movie, but westerns and musicals are the blind spots by far, so I do need to mix some of those in a little and keep trying.  

I do like the idea of pairing a somewhat recent movie with an older movie doing a double feature thing. Like you said, The Killing and Resevoir Dogs go together well- just not sure how available they are. That is will be the trick is fining combos where both are widely available- especially in the beginnig if we are trying to encourage participation. 
I am sure we could get a list going somehow.  Like you said, the streaming options rotate things a bit too.  

Another question that might have been good to include is if people are open to foreign movies and/or documentaries.  

Something like Night of the Living Dead/Train to Bussan would be fun.  

The more I think about it, the more I like this newer/older double feature idea if we could pull it off. 

I am sure we could get a list going somehow.  Like you said, the streaming options rotate things a bit too.  

Another question that might have been good to include is if people are open to foreign movies and/or documentaries.  

The more I think about it, the more I like this newer/older double feature idea if we could pull it off. 
I certainly have lots of ideas for pairings, but it's the finding things that are widely available that makes that a challenge

I like Docs and Foreign w/subtitles.

but it's the finding things that are widely available that makes that a challenge
I hate to say it, but if we are only doing 1 official and 1 optional per month, then pay-per-view (rental) may be an excellent option. I would not mind paying for 1-2 movies/month. That way everyone who can stream can get it.

On musicals, I am a huge fan of The Sound of Music, Wizard of Oz, The Music Man, Mary Poppins, Willy Wonka and all the other older ones, but I have not kept up with many of the newer ones. I'd like to expand that too.

Have you seen The Swimmer?

It sounds awesome!

He has cool trunks too!
I have not.

80s, a gentle suggestion not to overthink it or wait for some sort of consensus that will never come.  Do your thing; you have a great idea of what people are interested in, from the thousand or so other movie threads. People that are in will find a way to be in; others won't.  Have fun.

I have not.

80s, a gentle suggestion not to overthink it or wait for some sort of consensus that will never come.  Do your thing; you have a great idea of what people are interested in, from the thousand or so other movie threads. People that are in will find a way to be in; others won't.  Have fun.
Good point. KP is just as much behind this. It was more his idea, I just helped out by starting the thread for him. He and I will make a decision shortly.

Shoot the locks of your wallets and rent from Vudu, Google, etc. Lots of older movies can be checked out from the library.

Criterion had its own channel now, if that hasn't been mentioned.

There are three types of movies I'm NOT interested in watching

1. Post 80's comedies

2. Movies like "Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom" or "The Human Centipede"

3. Anything by Robert Rodriguez

I don't like renting because of the 24 hour limit once you start watching at most of the rental sites.  A decent amount of my movie watching starts while my kid is napping on the weekend, but he will wake up part-way through (or after my wife goes to bed, but I'm staying up for another hour or so). So, I find myself watching in phases.  I like flexibility in start to finish versus being forced to watch in 24 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
I certainly have lots of ideas for pairings, but it's the finding things that are widely available that makes that a challenge
I don't know about others, but I'm perfectly willing to rent a movie on Amazon.

ETA - I see we're already into this discussion.

One idea I had just because it's a movie I pimped to a lot of people, but maybe many haven't seen it = Short Term 12.  Has a few people in it that are bigger now like Brie Larsen and Remi Malick.   I thought a pairing of that + One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest might be interesting. 

As of now 62% prefer 1 movie a month. As one of those 62% can we consider just doing one movie a month?

As of now 62% prefer 1 movie a month. As one of those 62% can we consider just doing one movie a month?
Yeah I get that. I know when KP and I talked about it, we liked the idea of pairing a newer move and older movie. Now I would say many will have seen one of the movies already or even people can skip movies they don’t want to see/have time for. I do get that a double feature set-up might make it dangerous for spoilers. 

Maybe a smart compromise is to often do a single movie and sometimes do special double features.

We won't always do double features but we are starting with one. It's not medival, there will be no muppets and both were made in this here younited states. I will be back around 6:00 to post it. 

KarmaPolice said:
Maybe I just need to Google stuff a little better.  Found a list of stuff on Netflix that I haven't seen that would be good:

The Dirty Dozen
I wish I was you. Because if I were you, I could watch that movie for the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread