What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Movie Club: We're Getting the Band Back Together: Metallica vs Nina Simone Movie Docs (5 Viewers)

I currently have

• Netflix

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Amazon Prime

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • HBO Max

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Hulu

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Disney+

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Criterion

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • TCM Chanel

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
I was thinking even older when I posted.  I have a very love/hate relationship with 70s movies, and probably could come up with few from that decade - Deer Hunter being one, and probably any comedy movie people would list for a best of decade list.  
Comedy ages differently than drama. 

I think the verbal based comedy of the 30s and 40s holds up better today than the more character-centric comedies of the 70s and 80s.  Both are prone to the occasional racist or sexist gag that's out of line with current attitudes.

I think the verbal based comedy of the 30s and 40s holds up better today than the more character-centric comedies of the 70s and 80s.  Both are prone to the occasional racist or sexist gag that's out of line with current attitudes.
Yeah, good point. Although not truly "movies", the old cartoons often have this flaw. It is tough. I still love them, but understand the issues. I have often started to link to one in reference to a post, and then realize that it could be misunderstood.

This is a good question for people as well.  I am sure that if I think harder I can think of more but I cant think of many offhand.  I remember not loving The Apartment, and there are a couple subpar Hitchcock movies.  

More often than not I have liked them more than I expected.  Perfect example is Citizen Kane after hearing from people how dull it is.  I ended up watching it a couple times over a weekend I liked it so much.  
Ouch, The Apartment might be my favorite movie ever 

I was surprised how funny I thought Some Like it Hot was vs most of the 70s comedies i dont crack a smile during my watches. (With rare exception, like some Monty Python). 

I agree- to me the best comedies of all time are from the 30s and 40s

I was surprised how funny I thought Some Like it Hot was vs most of the 70s comedies i dont crack a smile during my watches. (With rare exception, like some Monty Python). 
Yep- SOME of the 70s comdies have ages like rotten fish. Some Like It Hot hasn't lost anything though- totally fresh. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch, The Apartment might be my favorite movie ever 

I know, and I want to revisit it.  Could have been my mood- will give it another try.  
it's the Jack Lemmon Factor, both ways. nobody else could do that - capture the neurotic noodge in a man and just fire it out there. even though the words were written first, it still seems like the script is straining to keep up. it is both an immensely beautiful and ridiculously ugly thing to watch. Billy Wilder understood that attitude & rhythm better than anybody else and showcased it well. The Apartment is one of my favorite all time comedies and there are still times i go to watch it and turn it off almost immediately cuz i just aint in the mood to be repeatedly shot by that closet machinegun of his.

that's an extra payoff to learning to watch movies made before one's time in the perspective of that time - it also helps contemporize movies you once liked that got the stale on em. one almost laughs at why one laughed at it in the first place, but affectionately so, and that freshens things a li'lbit. physical comedy dont age so bad, but jokes shonuff do. Python is nonsense and still smarter than us, so it holds up

Tying into both of those posts, I think Billy Willder holds up better than most writer/directors of the era. Even in this world where people are extra sensitive, it is incredible that a comedy about men dressing as women holds up so well and a movie about about sexual politics in the workplace still feels relevant. 

Tying into both of those posts, I think Billy Willder holds up better than most writer/directors of the era. Even in this world where people are extra sensitive, it is incredible that a comedy about men dressing as women holds up so well and a movie about about sexual politics in the workplace still feels relevant. 
to hijack a sec, that's why i send my director cousin emails at least twice a year begging him to consider making a film version of each our favorite musical comedy, Stephen Sondheim's Company. it's a satire about sex & marriage - all the central character's couple friends extolling the virtues of marriage @ his 35th  b'day party - that was first staged almost FIFTY years ago and all the jokes still work. do you have any concept of just how ridiculously great that is ?!?!

when Rob was actually listening to me (before i told him that Japan and the Asian community in general would deeply resent Chinese actors being cast in the major roles of Memoirs of a Geisha and ended up being right) i was forever shopping a version of Company shot in an almost constant 4-way split screen (one central action, one cutout of what the women in his life reflected in the dialogue/song are doing, one NYC shot, one cutout of the actual lives of the couple reflected in the dialogue/song). had him thiiiis close once, but he concluded - as he still does - that it's too complicated. he'll never do it now (he sold himself to Disney as their corporate musical -Mary Poppins, live Little Mermaid - guy) but that doesnt stop me from sending him storyboardings of scenes now & then to keep his mind ever so slightly poisoned toward the concept. it's worth it for a work that eternal

I agree- to me the best comedies of all time are from the 30s and 40s

Yep- SOME of the 70s comdies have ages like rotten fish. Some Like It Hot hasn't lost anything though- totally fresh. 
I watched Smokey and the Bandit last night. It's still funny as hell, wish they had more Gleason. 

prosopis said:
Yes I did have those models!!!! I loved them. I also had the one from Jaws which was Jaws attacking a guy in a shark cage. If memory serves it was in a bottle. Still love the smell of model glue.
Ha! Speaking of model glue ... my pop worked for a paint company, and I began part-time (weekend/holiday) work there also as soon as I was old enough. On my first day, the other guys (boss didn't know) told me to get into a 2000 gallon tub with rubber boots. They then poured in about 5 gallons of toluene (the solvent in most models glues from our youth) and told me to wash down the tub.

I only remember the beginning ... passed out, and they had to pull me out and take me to the break room couch. Boss found out about it too. 

Good times.

I remember the Jaws model ... never had it ... but, I did have this.

wikkidpissah said:
but that doesnt stop me from sending him storyboardings of scenes now & then to keep his mind ever so slightly poisoned toward the concept. it's worth it for a work that eternal
I pm'ed you my storyboard of the recounting of @Ilov80s tryst with Canadian cops and multiple female fighting robots ... please pass it on to your cousin. 

He will thank us later.

Watched The Conversation yesterday. I know we aren't to talk about it yet but it was definitely different than I thought. I liked it.

prosopis said:
I watched Smokey and the Bandit last night. It's still funny as hell, wish they had more Gleason. 
most of the work Gleason did could benefit from more of him. he was a capable actor with tremendous comedic chops. 

ITT - 

i learned that Muppet Movie swooners actually have the balls to question the staying power/freshness of movies that are light years superior to their ridiculous puppet fetish predilections  :lmao:

- suggestions for consideration ...

"State of Grace" vs "Pope of Greenwich Village"

"Ghost World" vs "The World of Harry Orient"

"Midnight Cowboy" vs "Panic in Needle Park"

"Sid and Nancy" vs "Repo Man"

I'd like to compare and contrast an episode of Muppet Babies circa 1990 with the 2018 reboot.  Is it just me or does Baby Gonzo have some darker demons that he is dealing with?  Baby Fozzie also seems to show more characteristics of the overdone stereotype of the depressed comic.  They also seem to show a bit more of the ego (and, dare I say, superego) versus the pure id of Baby Animal.

I'd like to compare and contrast an episode of Muppet Babies circa 1990 with the 2018 reboot.  Is it just me or does Baby Gonzo have some darker demons that he is dealing with?  Baby Fozzie also seems to show more characteristics of the overdone stereotype of the depressed comic.  They also seem to show a bit more of the ego (and, dare I say, superego) versus the pure id of Baby Animal.
He had just come off another failed Terry Gilliam project - slated to enjoy the role of his career as Baby Gonzo Journalist in Fear & Loathing in Plush Vegas (with Fozzie adding unnecessary schtick as his attorney) but ultimately disappointed by Gilliam's inconsistent work habits, so he was really stressed out, overmedicated & on a deadline

Please talk about it- just don't spoil anything

I don't think this is spoiling anything but -

I guess I expected it to be more like Enemy of the State - an action movie. But it was definitely more of a psychological thriller. 

Gene Hackman is always awesome. So damn good in everything.

I had remembered that John Cazale was only in like 5 movies and they were all amazing. And I knew Godfather and Dog Day Afternoon - but was pleasantly surprised when he showed up in this one. He was a terrific actor. Terrible young loss.

Didn't realize Harrison Ford was in this. That was also a pleasant surprise.

Finally - as a native (suburban) Detroiter, it hurt to have Bernie Moran be such an unlikeable fella.

Well - let's just say that when you smoke enuff green, some things in life make more sense coming from a stuffed animal with a hand up it ### ...
i don't think i could possibly ever properly articulate just how much i despise and loathe and detest the whole franchise - starting with Sesame Street right up to present day ... one of the most vile and sickening scourges EVER to trouble daylight ... #### them all, gotDAMN Utopian, hippie, emasculated pablum.  puke inducing, i yell ya  :X

however ...

your reasoning kinda makes sense, seeing as how you glide right into their brain fried demographic (what with the nod squad and all) ... ergo, i'll allow it. 

I don't think this is spoiling anything but -

I guess I expected it to be more like Enemy of the State - an action movie. But it was definitely more of a psychological thriller. 

Gene Hackman is always awesome. So damn good in everything.

I had remembered that John Cazale was only in like 5 movies and they were all amazing. And I knew Godfather and Dog Day Afternoon - but was pleasantly surprised when he showed up in this one. He was a terrific actor. Terrible young loss.

Didn't realize Harrison Ford was in this. That was also a pleasant surprise.

Finally - as a native (suburban) Detroiter, it hurt to have Bernie Moran be such an unlikeable fella.
No- certainly not a sppiler. It is  more thriller than action. Most of the story takes place in Hackman's head really. This might be his best performance IMO. 

ETA: Cazale's last film was The Deer Hunter with his girl Mery Streep. He had lung cancer and I always assumed he was dying while filming it and that it was a sad but strong farewell. I recently learned that he had gone into remission and was feeling great. He was certain he had beaten cancer. He was telling everyone making the film they needed to stop smoking and warning them about how close he came. I don't jnow if that makes happier or even more tragic. 

No- certainly not a sppiler. It is  more thriller than action. Most of the story takes place in Hackman's head really. This might be his best performance IMO. 

He was definitely great in this. And I can see that argument - it was very nuanced.

But I just loved him so much as Little Bill. I guess that role was pretty similar to his in Mississippi Burning. But I loved him in that too.

He was definitely great in this. And I can see that argument - it was very nuanced.

But I just loved him so much as Little Bill. I guess that role was pretty similar to his in Mississippi Burning. But I loved him in that too.
I can't argue with Little Bill or Popeye Doyle either. 

Also the funniest part about Hackman is he basically looked the same age for 25 years. Normally that is a compliment but with Gene it's just because I don't think he ever looked young. 

Watched Hackman in The Gypsy Moths (1969) last week.  He stole a couple of scenes from Burt Lancaster which isn't an easy thing to do.  The movie wasn't great although director John Frankenheimer called it one of his favorites.

Users who are viewing this thread