What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Movie Club: We're Getting the Band Back Together: Metallica vs Nina Simone Movie Docs (2 Viewers)

I currently have

• Netflix

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Amazon Prime

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • HBO Max

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Hulu

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Disney+

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Criterion

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • TCM Chanel

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
How about a retro sci-fi double feature? Westworld or Futureworld and Hackers?
Everyone keep posting suggestions like this.  Even if the exact movies aren't used, at least we might get an idea of what people might like.  

I know it's not a popular genre 'round these parts, but I will be pushing hard for a horror double feature for October.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone posting suggestions like this.  Even if the exact movies aren't used, at least we might get an idea of what people might like.  

I know it's not a popular genre 'round these parts, but I will be pushing hard for a horror double feature for October.  
That’s a no brainer imo

Oh hell yeah. Double feature suggestion would be something " highbrow" like Exorcist, Silence of the Lambs, Suspiria , the Omen vs something trashy like Last House on the Left, I Spit On Your Grave or practically everything made in the last 15 years.

Obviously I'm talking about the originals of these films.  Damn, have there been a lot of crappy horror remakes in the 2000s.

Oh hell yeah. Double feature suggestion would be something " highbrow" like Exorcist, Silence of the Lambs, Suspiria , the Omen vs something trashy like Last House on the Left, I Spit On Your Grave or practically everything made in the last 15 years.

Obviously I'm talking about the originals of these films.  Damn, have there been a lot of crappy horror remakes in the 2000s.
I would probably be easier to list any good ones.  None are coming to mind but I do remember liking a couple here and there. (Ok, "not hating" might be the correct terminology). 

Just about every single one seems to feel the need to try to explain why the bad guys are bad, when most of the time its creepier to not know.  

KarmaPolice said:
Yep, but like I said- it's not a popular genre, so I think striking a balance will be key, as will be finding something not too over the top that people might not have seen.  
True- I’m not a big fan but during October I will watch some since it’s the season. Cabin in the Woods is one I really want to watch.

Ilov80s said:
Charlie Steiner said:
have this like/dislike thing for Cooper.  I know that it was common for actors to basically play the same in every film they starred in, but to me, Cooper always came off more wooden than many of the other 'big' stars of his time. To me, the worst was casting him as Howard Roark in The Fountainhead, but then again, I don't know that any of the cast matched/did much with their roles in that one.  All that one really did for me was demonstrate what it looks like when a director has clearly been left in the dust by his craft.
Yeah Cooper isn’t my fave either and I think High Noon is overrated but worth seeing.
Cooper was straddling 50 when he made High Noon and The Fountainhead.  By that stage of his, he'd become more of a symbol than an actor.

He did his best work a decade before with Beau Geste, The Westerner, Meet John Doe, Sgt. York, Pride of the Yankees and Ball of Fire (and others) in a three year period.  A decade before that, he was an extremely good looking man.

Herb said:
Always down for a rewatch of a Kubrick film. Except for Barry Lyndon. That was... not good.
A double feature of Barry Lyndon and Tom Jones would be good, for me at least.

Cooper was straddling 50 when he made High Noon and The Fountainhead.  By that stage of his, he'd become more of a symbol than an actor.

He did his best work a decade before with Beau Geste, The Westerner, Meet John Doe, Sgt. York, Pride of the Yankees and Ball of Fire (and others) in a three year period.  A decade before that, he was an extremely good looking man.
I won’t argue he wasn’t good looking but he was always a bit stiff for me. Ball of Fire, The Westerner and Sgt York are all really good though 

Haven't read all of the posts so sorry if this was already posted

Magnificent 7 streaming on Amazon prime video (until 6/30) 

Hateful 8 streaming on Netflix 

Justwatch.com is a great site to see where movies are streaming
How did you see it was only streaming through 6/30? 

Watched The Magnificent Seven last night. In the process have discovered lots of possible options for future movies. The options on Prime aren’t too bad. 

Anyone notice a difference in stream quality between movies on Netflix and Prime?

Watched The Magnificent Seven last night. In the process have discovered lots of possible options for future movies. The options on Prime aren’t too bad. 

Anyone notice a difference in stream quality between movies on Netflix and Prime?
I have gotten some ####ty looking movies on AP.  Seems like some are not in HD or something. 

I have gotten some ####ty looking movies on AP.  Seems like some are not in HD or something. 
Netflix seems more discerning about the quality of what they stream. However, they also have a much smaller collection of older films available.

"We deal in lead my friend"

" You came back...For a village like this? Why? "

Just rewatched the original M7. Still an unbelievable classic, but dated somewhat with sexism and racism.

But a great cast, great action and great dialogue.

Watched H8 a while ago. Was not that impressed, but will rewatch it again soon

I am watching The Guns of Navarone and it is full qualifier for the 60s group of guys action movie. Right in line with Magnificent Seven or The Dirty Dozen. 

Watched Magnificent Seven today. I liked it. Kind of reminded me of High Plains Drifter.

Was going to re-watch Hateful 8 but forgot how long it is. Probably do that next weekend.

I didn't love or hate either movie.  Both were mediocre IMO.  One thing I find interesting about old movies like the original Magnificent Seven is the music compared to the music in newer movies.  Not only is the music very different (obviously), but the way it's used is too.

July Movie Club Double Feature 

Jazz gets called the greatest American art form a lot but to be perfectly honest, it's the Western.  - @Eephus

So to celebrate the upcoming American b-day, we will checkout two numerically titled westerns about bounty hunters. 

1960: The Magnificent Seven

7 gunman are hired to protect a small town from bandits 

Directed by John Sturges, Starring Yul Brenner, Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson and Eli Wallach. 

Streaming on Amazon Prime 

2015: The Hateful Eight

A bounty hunter and his prisoner find shelter from a winter storm  in a cabin inhabited by a collection of nefarious characters.

Directed by Quentin Tarantino, Starring Samuel Jackson, Kurt Russell, Jennifer Jason Leigh 

Streaming on Netflix (there is also an extended mini-series so make sure you choose  original movie) 

Discussion for the movies will open up July 15. That gives about 3.5 weeks and clears us past the 4th of July holiday week. 
I am in on these. I have seen them both a few times but I will happily re watch.

Users who are viewing this thread