What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Movie Club: We're Getting the Band Back Together: Metallica vs Nina Simone Movie Docs (3 Viewers)

I currently have

• Netflix

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Amazon Prime

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • HBO Max

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Hulu

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Disney+

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Criterion

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • TCM Chanel

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
Love the guesses. I had some PMs with @The Man With No Name and we decided....

July 2020: Ennio Morricone Spaghetti Western Tribute due 8/10

Morricone was one of the greatest musical composers and actually just composers period. He scored so many movies of all types, but he's best known for his connection with Italian westerns by directors like Sergio Leone, Corbucci and Sollima. Famous for a mixing of Italian, Spanish, American and German actors all often speaking their own languages, it gave many of the 60s American character actors like Clint Eastwood, Charles Bronson and Rick Dalton chances to be the headline stars. 

A Fistful of Dynamite aka Duck You Sucker! aka Once Upon a Time....The Revolution(1971) dir. by Sergio Leone, starring Rod Steiger and James Coburn. A low-life bandit and an I.R.A. explosives expert rebel against the government and become heroes of the Mexican Revolution. Youtube link to the Morricone theme.

Death Rides a Horse (1967 dir. by Giulio Petroni, starring Lee Van Cleef. A young gunfighter plans to track down and eliminate the bandits who killed his family, and forms a tenuous alliance with an aging ex-outlaw. Youtube link to the Morricone Theme. 

Both films are available on Prime. But I believe YouTube has them and their quality is much better. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet they are also free on YouTube 
dayum!

So no Karate Kid??!! 
i would L :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: ve to do Karate Kid with you X/Ys, maybe even have a death match with y'all over the movies (mostly KK & the BttFs) which so crucially help me maintain my disdain for all you hold dear. i've attempted to watch KK maybe 40 times - in median re as well as load-up-w-snacks-here-we-go and have never been able to survive more'n 8 minutes but, as an assignment or live watch.....

I loved Karate Kid as a kid but i don’t think it’s held up well. That said, Pat Morita deserved an Oscar. He carried the movie. The big weak link in Karate Kid is the main character kind of sucks. 

dayum!

i would L :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: ve to do Karate Kid with you X/Ys, maybe even have a death match with y'all over the movies (mostly KK & the BttFs) which so crucially help me maintain my disdain for all you hold dear. i've attempted to watch KK maybe 40 times - in median re as well as load-up-w-snacks-here-we-go and have never been able to survive more'n 8 minutes but, as an assignment or live watch.....
All the KKs and BTTFs are on NF I believe.  

I just view KK as a good pseudo father/son relationship movie.  I think it's sweet at it's core and fairly relatable in parts.  Of course I put in the top tier of "80s" movies.  Holds up much better than stuff like Sixteen Candles, et al.  

Death Rides a Horse is on many lists as a top 10 spaghetti Western, including Quentin Tarantino's.  

Out of the around 500 that were made, that's pretty good

I know that A Fistful of Dynamite is the middle of Leone's Once Upon a Time trilogy. The other two being the more famous Once Upon a Time in the West which is likely ranked 1 or 2 any list of best spaghetti westerns if not westerns period. The third wasn't a western but the gangster film Once Upon a Time in America. Hence this having an alternate title of Once Upon a Time in the Revolution

I have seen both of these. If I recall correctly in fist full of dynamite every time Coburn did something they would sing his name. If its the movie I'm thinking of his name was french, Jean or John and they sang his name three times kind of fast. I think it made it real hard to get through. I am hoping I remember wrong but if I am right it is kind of funny that the reason we are watching is what drove me crazy.

Google has a different explanation that is to long for me to type. Check it out.

My belief all these years was wrong. :shrug:
I could do that, but I wanted to further a discussion here.  ;)

My assumption was they were more on the cheesy/B movie side of things with a different theme than standard westerns.  Not sure I've seen one, so didn't make a connection they were all foreign movies.  

One of the main differences is the violence and action. Much more in the spaghetti western, It is also a much harsher view of the west as opposed to Hollywoods view.

One of the main differences is the violence and action. Much more in the spaghetti western, It is also a much harsher view of the west as opposed to Hollywoods view.
I am guessing a lot of my perception was just knowing QT loves them, loves his Grindhouse movies, and just assumed they were basically the grindhouse of westerns.  

Might try to get one of these watched this weekend.  

I am guessing a lot of my perception was just knowing QT loves them, loves his Grindhouse movies, and just assumed they were basically the grindhouse of westerns.  

Might try to get one of these watched this weekend.  
Kind of. I mentioned a bit more in the original post. Typically Italian directors and actors from several European countries and the US. Often they each speak their own language and things are dubbed. They definitely lean a bit more B movie and are more violent than the typical Hollywood western. 

Kind of. I mentioned a bit more in the original post. Typically Italian directors and actors from several European countries and the US. Often they each speak their own language and things are dubbed. They definitely lean a bit more B movie and are more violent than the typical Hollywood western. 
Evidently I just scanned the post for the titles of the movies.  :bag:

Users who are viewing this thread