What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Movie Club: We're Getting the Band Back Together: Metallica vs Nina Simone Movie Docs (1 Viewer)

I currently have

• Netflix

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Amazon Prime

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • HBO Max

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Hulu

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Disney+

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Criterion

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • TCM Chanel

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
In.

Picked all eras, but interested more in pre-1990

Have Netflix, Amazon and HBO. And about 2k dvds. 

1 a month sounds about right.

What does he do if there is no swimming pool?

Did he at least bring a cabana shirt or something?
He has no shirt, shoes, nothing. Just trunks and he mapped it all out how to get home by going from pool to pool. I remember reading the story in school in college and  I knew the themes but I forgot how weird the general premise is. 

I voted.

I'd prefer to see things I haven't seen before, particularly pre-60's classics. I feel like I always intend to watch some of the ones you guys have discussed in the various threads, but it just skips my mind by the time I get home and am ready to veg. But I'll work with just about anything, variety is good. The only genre I'd probably skip is horror - just not my thing.

Not trying to be a ####, but I am honestly curious since I seem to have little luck finding stuff on Netflix/AP/Hulu to watch movie-wise : what are ilov80s and others finding on those services to watch? 

Off the top of my head, I think I have Network, African Queen? Not many in my queue i would consider movie club-worthy.  
haven't seen most of these, but these would be my thoughts on netflix...

lion

the one i love

other people

city of god

hell or high water

all the presidents men

the third man

strangers on a train

the stranger

moonlight

dallas buyers club

wind river

The most interesting thing so far is how so many people have kept HBO now that GOT and Chernobyl are done. 

maybe interested but I'm not much of a deep discussioner

I have pretty much every pay channel/service but hulu

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazon Prime has a lot too but it's not set-up well for always finding them. 
This is so true.  Pretty crap interface.  There's also been a few that I am interested in seeing, but they are rental/buy only and not included in Prime.  

This is so true.  Pretty crap interface.  There's also been a few that I am interested in seeing, but they are rental/buy only and not included in Prime.  
Those interfaces are designed to get people to watch what rhe service wants them to watch and not necesarily what the viewer wants to watch.

Maybe I just need to Google stuff a little better.  Found a list of stuff on Netflix that I haven't seen that would be good:

Magnificent Ambersons

The Stranger 

West Side Story

Doctor Zhivago

The Dirty Dozen

Wild Bunch 

Once Upon a Time in America

Like I said, I am not opposed to watching stuff I've seen before too.  There are a ton of movies that I've only seen once or twice that I would love to look at again - Schindler's List, The Graduate, Annie Hall, Cool Hand Luke, and a couple others from 80s and MOCS's lists.  

Maybe I just need to Google stuff a little better.  Found a list of stuff on Netflix that I haven't seen that would be good:

Magnificent Ambersons

The Stranger 

West Side Story

Doctor Zhivago

The Dirty Dozen

Wild Bunch 

Good list of movies there to watch- some lengthy epics in there too. We probably don't want to make the first movie a 3.5 hour movie though.

He has no shirt, shoes, nothing. Just trunks and he mapped it all out how to get home by going from pool to pool. I remember reading the story in school in college and  I knew the themes but I forgot how weird the general premise is. 
I've been think'n about this ...

What did he map it out on? Or, is it all in his head?

If he did map it out, how does he keep it dry when he swims?

Magnificent Ambersons

The Stranger 

West Side Story

Doctor Zhivago

The Dirty Dozen

Wild Bunch 

Good list of movies there to watch- some lengthy epics in there too. We probably don't want to make the first movie a 3.5 hour movie though.
Agreed.

How bout The Deer Hunter? 😀

I'm interested.  I have Hulu, Netflix and Showtime for now.  Once Disney comes out I will probably drop Netflix and sign up for Disney.  I have Showtime as a promotion so I'm not sure how much longer I will have it.  

The Swimmer
Is that the Meechum/Mitchim/Mooch'em (sp? or whoever) movie we are discussing?

So - he gets his head wet - where the maps are - got it.

Has anyone gotten suspicious of him yet?

I mean - no shoes, no shirt, no nothin - but trunks --- hmmm --- ugly, flashy trunks? 

Or, more subtle trunks?

Is that the Meechum/Mitchim/Mooch'em (sp? or whoever) movie we are discussing?

So - he gets his head wet - where the maps are - got it.

Has anyone gotten suspicious of him yet?

I mean - no shoes, no shirt, no nothin - but trunks --- hmmm --- ugly, flashy trunks? 

Or, more subtle trunks?
Yes but it's being stored in Burt Lancaster's head because it's Burt Lancaster in the movie and not Robert Mitchum since it woiuld have been a crime for Mitchum to go around with Lancaster's head without Lancaster's body being with it and at that point why pay both actors? 

They trunks are very short and very tight. He makes a move on every woman he runs into.

Everyone in the neighborhood knows who he is and so they are often very suspicious of him. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes but it's being stored in Burt Lancaster's head ...
processing

... because it's Burt Lancaster in the movie ...
🤔

... and not Robert Mitchum ...
Meechum maybe?

... since it woiuld have been a crime for Mitchum to go around with Lancaster's head without Lancaster's body being with it ...
OK. But I never said anything about a body.

and at that point why pay both actors? 
WAT? Never!

They trunks are very short and very tight. He makes a move on every woman he runs into.
He does? Or his "trunks"?

Everyone in the neighborhood knows who he is and so they are often very suspicious of him.
Now ... THAT makes sense.

Thnx. I be back later for more clarifications - I'm syre.

I've used Prime to watch a few great movies recently: Stop Making Sense, The Last Waltz, The Swimmer, Johnny Guitar
I just got done cleaning out some riffraff in my list and updated it with a bunch from a couple lists like that I found tonight:

First Reformed

Chinatown

The Act of Killing 

Murder on the Orient Express (74)

Young Adult 

Night of the Living Dead

His Girl Friday

The Handmaiden

The Salesman

Sophie's Choice

Midnight Cowboy

Demon

The 39 Steps

The Apartment

Hoop Dreams

The Last Waltz

The Proposition 

The Sweet Hereafter

Whale Rider

Les Diabolique

I just got done cleaning out some riffraff in my list and updated it with a bunch from a couple lists like that I found tonight:

First Reformed

Chinatown

The Act of Killing 

Young Adult 

Night of the Living Dead

His Girl Friday

The Handmaiden

The Salesman

Sophie's Choice

Midnight Cowboy

Demon

The 39 Steps

The Apartment

Hoop Dreams

The Last Waltz

The Proposition 

The Sweet Hereafter

Whale Rider

Les Diabolique
Warning that The Proposition is a Western. Also, I think The Apartment is a great choice at some point for the list. It's an older movie that doesn't feel old, it has the qualifications of a classic film yet I find a lot of people haven't seen it- often they don't even know much about it. 

First Reformed

Chinatown

The Act of Killing 

Young Adult 

Night of the Living Dead

His Girl Friday

The Handmaiden

The Salesman

Sophie's Choice

Midnight Cowboy

Demon

The 39 Steps

The Apartment

Hoop Dreams

The Last Waltz

The Proposition 

The Sweet Hereafter

Whale Rider

Les Diabolique
Sweet list.

Also, I want to nominate the movie you turned me onto - but I have not watched yet. Kubrick - The Killing

Looks like it's about 50/50 on the votes for 1 or 2 movies a month.  Do we try 2 movies and have 1 pre-80s and one 1980+ or something?  

Looks like it's about 50/50 on the votes for 1 or 2 movies a month.  Do we try 2 movies and have 1 pre-80s and one 1980+ or something?  
I do like the idea of pairing a somewhat recent movie with an older movie doing a double feature thing. Like you said, The Killing and Resevoir Dogs go together well- just not sure how available they are. That is will be the trick is fining combos where both are widely available- especially in the beginnig if we are trying to encourage participation. 

Looks like that one's not included with Prime, but is a 2.99 rental.    I was going to suggest a Reservoir Dogs/The Killing double feature to kick this off when the idea first popped into my head.  
I like.

Would it be possible to do 2 movies with the understanding that one would the "primary" movie (e.g. Reservoir Dogs) and the 2nd would be optional (e.g. The Killing).

Also, if we could have them come from 2 different "platforms/sources" it may help more people get in.

Users who are viewing this thread