Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Ilov80s

FBG Movie Club: Noirvember- The Killing vs A Simple Plan due 12/2

How would you rate The Killing?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

26 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I tried to watch The Sweet Hereafter last night and made it about twenty-five minutes in before I realized what I thought might unfold. I think I'll stick with all of your comments about the intricacies of the film, with identikit's quote about tragedies being forefront in my mind. It seemed a bit much to bear for my disposition then. 

Interesting. I would almost say nothing happens. The accident already has happened and so basically it’s a movie where nothing happens- which I hadn’t realized until you posted this.

2 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Interesting. I would almost say nothing happens. The accident already has happened and so basically it’s a movie where nothing happens- which I hadn’t realized until you posted this.

Yeah, I gathered. I figured it was picking up the pieces of a tragedy involving the deaths of innocent children, something I wasn't up for in terms of content, I guess. I also figured I'd cheat :)and read the thread as it had some comments from people I'm drawn to read. 

eta* Glad I was able to help you along on your journey to discovering that nothing really happens. 

Edited by rockaction

9 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

Movies don't scare me,, don't get me to bypass my sensibilities. The Crawling Eye in 1960 was the last one that did. I liked Halloween for what it was and enjoyed Motel Hell & the Dr Phibes movies for camp. Didn't like any of the other series i've seen and have turned off more (Saw, Ring, Cabin in the Woods) than i've finished. I just don't connect with the process.

Uh oh.  

One of my favorites, but will fully admit it's more of a horror movie lover's horror movie with all the nods to other tropes and horror movies.   

It looks like The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and Nosferatu are streaming, but I'm not sure how many could get to watch old German silent films (I freaking love Caligari though).

9 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

It looks like The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and Nosferatu are streaming, but I'm not sure how many could get to watch old German silent films (I freaking love Caligari though).

Caligari is a favorite of mine and much better than Nosferatu imo but I have bet seen Nosferatu is quite awhile so maybe I would change my opinion

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

Caligari is a favorite of mine and much better than Nosferatu imo

So good

• Like 1

Well, I am going to push it a little since I love the movie so much and think it's worth the effort.  I also like the pairing after I stared at it more and thought about the similarities.   Like we talked about at the start of this endeavor, watching both movies isn't mandatory so one of the pair is going to be on Kanopy and rental only - looks like it's only $2.99 on AP.  Looks like there is another streaming option called Magnolia Selects (no idea what this is) that somebody could do a 7 day free trial on to try to watch it.   I feel strongly enough about the pairing and movies that if somebody pays for the $2.99 and honestly hates the movie and gets 0 out of it, I will paypal them the $3.    

I will post the double feature later, but we are going old/new again and we are in the 70s and the late 00s.  Both have Metascores in the 80s and I think there are a lot of interesting themes we can mine out of the discussion.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Eephus said:

If you have TCM, the early horror classic The Black Cat is streaming for the next week.  It's 85 years old so there are definitely corny bits but there are also moments that are legitimately creepy still.

This is one of my favorite short stories.

4 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Well, I am going to push it a little since I love the movie so much and think it's worth the effort.  I also like the pairing after I stared at it more and thought about the similarities.   Like we talked about at the start of this endeavor, watching both movies isn't mandatory so one of the pair is going to be on Kanopy and rental only - looks like it's only $2.99 on AP.  Looks like there is another streaming option called Magnolia Selects (no idea what this is) that somebody could do a 7 day free trial on to try to watch it.   I feel strongly enough about the pairing and movies that if somebody pays for the $2.99 and honestly hates the movie and gets 0 out of it, I will paypal them the $3.    

I will post the double feature later, but we are going old/new again and we are in the 70s and the late 00s.  Both have Metascores in the 80s and I think there are a lot of interesting themes we can mine out of the discussion.  

I'm in and I can't wait. :popcorn:

I am not going to dig too deep into the genre for our first horror pairing, especially since it's not a fave of a lot of people in the thread.  In the end, I also didn't want to throw a couple out there that I wouldn't be 100% behind.  I would say that these 2 movies would be near the top of a list I would do of personal favorite horror movies.  Too many from the 70s and 80s don't hold up to current viewings.  Anyway, I won't discuss too much why I paired these together in case people haven't seen them, but for October we will try:

Carrie (1976) - Looks like it's on Prime and NF according to my search.   94% on RT, 7.4 on imdb

Let the Right One In (2008) - This is the one that's on Kanopy, Magnolia (can try this for a week free and watch it), or Hoopla (looks like a similar concept to Kanopy).  Also available for rent for $2.99 on Amazon, youtube, Vudu, etc.   98% on RT and a surprising 5.0 on imdb.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My original idea was to do modern interpretations of classic Universal monsters.  The one movie I wanted was American Werewolf in London (Wolf Man), but that left all the streaming options at the end of Sept.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

....but we are going old/new again and we are in the 70s and the late 00s.  Both have Metascores in the 80s and I think there are a lot of interesting themes we can mine out of the discussion.  

Lots of great horror movies from the 70s. Burnt Offerings scared the #### out of me as a kid.

9 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I am not going to dig too deep into the genre for our first horror pairing, especially since it's not a fave of a lot of people in the thread.  In the end, I also didn't want to throw a couple out there that I wouldn't be 100% behind.  I would say that these 2 movies would be near the top of a list I would do of personal favorite horror movies.  Too many from the 70s and 80s don't hold up to current viewings.  Anyway, I won't discuss too much why I paired these together in case people haven't seen them, but for October we will try:

Carrie (1976) - Looks like it's on Prime and NF according to my search.   94% on RT, 7.4 on imdb

Let the Right One In (2008) - This is the one that's on Kanopy, Magnolia (can try this for a week free and watch it), or Hoopla (looks like a similar concept to Kanopy).  Also available for rent for $2.99 on Amazon, youtube, Vudu, etc.   98% on RT and a surprising 5.0 on imdb.  

Meh

• Like 1

:lmao:    

I just realized another tie in.  How about for extra credit you do an unnecessary remake double feature staring Chloe Grace Moretz:  Let Me In and Carrie?? 

• Sad 1

Just now, KarmaPolice said:

:lmao:    

I just realized another tie in.  How about for extra credit you do an unnecessary remake double feature staring Chloe Grace Moretz:  Let Me In and Carrie?? 

OMG...it’s so freakin bad compared to the original imo. 

3 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Lots of great horror movies from the 70s. Burnt Offerings scared the #### out of me as a kid.

The bolded is an important part of the equation.   Poltergeist scared the crap out of me too, but when I watched that recently is was pretty bad.  

2 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

The bolded is an important part of the equation.   Poltergeist scared the crap out of me too, but when I watched that recently is was pretty bad.  

There’s some real stinkers in the 70s like Salem’s Lot and Death Line. Lots of classics too.

1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

I’m excited, I haven’t seen either. I’ll update the thread when the booze wears off ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

I’m excited, I haven’t seen either. I’ll update the thread when the booze wears off ;)

So.... Monday?

Edited by KarmaPolice
  • Laughing 1

Guess I'm going to have to get a ############# library card, you nerds.

😜

• Laughing 2

3 hours ago, identikit said:

😜

..or find $3  ;)

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

19 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

..or find $3  ;)

$3.99 for HD

I'm a snob like that.

Carrie provides an opportunity to praise and slag off Brian De Palma.  Few directors can move between genius and hack as quickly as De Palma can.

The film he directed this year Domino didn't even get a theatrical release in the US.  It's available on Netflix.  Other De Palma films on Prime are Blow Out, Snake Eyes :shock:  and an early film called The Wedding Party with a very young Robert De Niro.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Carrie provides an opportunity to praise and slag off Brian De Palma.  Few directors can move between genius and hack as quickly as De Palma can.

The film he directed this year Domino didn't even get a theatrical release in the US.  It's available on Netflix.  Other De Palma films on Prime are Blow Out, Snake Eyes :shock:  and an early film called The Wedding Party with a very young Robert De Niro.

Interesting. Directed quite a few movies, and the one I remember most (or second-to-most) is Femme Fatale.

:bag:

Blow Out is probably my favorite film from BDP- would have been a perfect fit with out July movies of The Conversation and The Lives of Others. However, I’ll never forgive him for the absolute mess he made of The Black Dahlia.

I rewatched Dressed to Kill when it was on TCM recently.  It wasn't as good as I remembered but it was still pretty decent.  My daughter happened to wander in during the art museum scene and hung around through Angie's murder.  We were alternately laughing, oohing and screaming during the segment.

The Black Dahlia isn't very good but it's still better than The Bonfires of the Vanities.

46 minutes ago, Eephus said:

I suggested a "birthday" theme with 80s - I share a birthday (not year) with DePalma.   I love Blow Out and Carrie, but yeah - his stinkers are rock bottom.  

8 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

I suggested a "birthday" theme with 80s - I share a birthday (not year) with DePalma.   I love Blow Out and Carrie, but yeah - his stinkers are rock bottom.  

that b'day is scarier than most of his movies. my favorite DePalma was his closest rip from his idol, Hitchcock - a reconstruction of Vertigo themes called Obsession, with Cliff Robertson, Genevieve Bujold, John Lithgow and, most importantly, one of the last soundtracks of the great Bernard Herrman's career

16 hours ago, identikit said:

😜

They're all going to laugh at you.

Edited by zamboni
  • Laughing 1

On 10/10/2019 at 9:34 PM, Ilov80s said:

I have seen Rosemarys Baby once. I would think most have seen it but it’s also from the 60s and I was surprised by how many hadn’t seen Bonnie and Clyde/ItHotN

Rosemary's Baby is a fav of mine, but I don't have many horror flix under my belt. What I like of the horror flix that appeal - psychological suspense. The gory stuff, and the shock stuff - and similar don't really affect me much. It's kinda like action flix in a way. I end up zoning out during the action waiting for dialogue. Horror - I end up zoning out during the gore waiting for the psych stuff. I dunno why I react that way, but it is not a judgement thing - my mind just zones out.

Carrie I saw years ago. I liked it. I am ready for a rewatch. I don't think I have seen Let ... I'll give it a go though.

I also finally got my Netflix back. Bastids still piss me off tho. 

• Like 1

Let the Right One In is top notch.  Saw Carrie as a kid and remember nothing but that one scene, so I’ll give it another whirl.

• Like 3

I have seen them both and more then happy to see them both again.

Taking this month off. I’ve seen both recently and have lots of other horror movies to choose from.

22 hours ago, identikit said:

😜

6 hours ago, zamboni said:

They're all going to laugh at you.

No laughing.

While I was there, anyways.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Osaurus said:

Taking this month off. I’ve seen both recently and have lots of other horror movies to choose from.

Don't have to take the month off - come in and chat about them.  

AMC having a double-feature of the Chloe Grace Moretz Carrie and the Sissy Spacek Carrie starting tonite @ 8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/15/2019 at 12:41 PM, wikkidpissah said:

AMC having a double-feature of the Chloe Grace Moretz Carrie and the Sissy Spacek Carrie starting tonite @ 8

What, no The Rage: Carrie 2 ??!! 

• Sad 1

I saw Let Me In, which I thought was very good. I haven't seen Let The Right One In.

• Like 1

Just starting Carrie now...that is quite the interesting opening sequence. Slow motion, fog, low lit high school girls running around naked throwing underwear at each other, nude girl in shower doing a softcore shower scene with a bar of soap to hysteria to the rabid bullying to a teacher shoving and slapping around students.

I also don't know anything about raising daughters, but I think Carrie was right- he momma should have told her. 

• Laughing 1

I also like that one of the female students appears to dress like Super Mario everyday. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

Just starting Carrie now...that is quite the interesting opening sequence. Slow motion, fog, low lit high school girls running around naked throwing underwear at each other, nude girl in shower doing a softcore shower scene with a bar of soap to hysteria to the rabid bullying to a teacher shoving and slapping around students.

Watched it a few days ago and realized that, while i'd watched snippets on the tube, i'd never actually watched Carrie stem-to-stern. It's funny how #metoo changes one's feeling about Porkyness on film. A little predatory wasn't it? Guess i won't be able to source '73's The Cheerleaders for a tug anymore....There was a lotta bimbettes of my era in this too. Didn't know Amy Irving's actual mother played her mother in this. I dated Amy's sister Katie when we both volunteered @ Santa Fe School for the Deaf and met Priscilla Pointer several times. Both her daughters have a little of her cat-eye factor, but hers have such intense felinity that you halfway expect her to cough a furball at you.

Edited by wikkidpissah

13 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

Watched it a few days ago and realized that, while i'd watched snippets on the tube, i'd never actually watched Carrie stem-to-stern. It's funny how #metoo changes one's feeling about Porkyness on film. A little predatory wasn't it? Guess i won't be able to source '73's The Cheerleaders for a tug anymore....There was a lotta bimbettes of my era in this too. Didn't know Amy Irving's actual mother played her mother in this. I dated Amy's sister Katie when we both volunteered @ Santa Fe School for the Deaf and met Priscilla Pointer several times. Both her daughters have a little of her cat-eye factor, but hers have such intense felinity that you halfway expect her to cough a furball at you.

Yeah my thoughts were weird: on one hand, I remember being a kid in the 80s and 90s. I would have rewound a scene like this over and over, even before I fully understood why. Now I’m a high school teacher and it’s creepy, awkward  and absurd. Then there’s blood and screaming and it becomes the one of us scene from Freaks. It’s a lot to process. 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

I also like that one of the female students appears to dress like Super Mario everyday. 

PJ Soles had a good run of cult movies in the late 70s including Carrie, Halloween, Rock n Roll High School, Breaking Away, Stripes and Private Benjamin.

48 minutes ago, Eephus said:

PJ Soles had a good run of cult movies in the late 70s including Carrie, Halloween, Rock n Roll High School, Breaking Away, Stripes and Private Benjamin.

where my spatula at?!

• Like 1

I just wonder if Carrie was too subtle and restrained? 

8 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I just wonder if Carrie was too subtle and restrained? 

All this talk of it makes me want to watch this today; going to fire it up.  I'm fitting in a few horror films this month that SmoovySmoov (does he post here anymore) recommended on Facebook.  Watched The Babadook yesterday on his recommendation.