Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Ilov80s

FBG Movie Club: Noirvember- The Killing vs A Simple Plan due 12/2

How would you rate The Killing?  

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 hours ago, Don Quixote said:

Throwing this out for discussion... your Top Ten film noirs?  I’m going to put some thought into this one today/tonight.

Not sure my list looks too different from Wikkid so I’ll do 3 mini lists

Classic Noir

The Big Sleep

The Big Heat

Out of the Past

The Third Man

Double Indemnity 

Lesser known Noirs 

The Breaking Point 

Scarlet Street

Sudden Fear

The Narrow Margin

Where the Sidewalk Ends

Neo-noirs

Chinatown

Night Moves

Fargo

The Long Goodbye

LA Confidential 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

wikkid's Top Ten Noirs

2. The Maltese Falcon - Huston set the tone for the form and no one's improved on it

Yep, John Huston in is his directorial debut really set the ball rolling. This and Gun for Hire to me really kicked off the noir as a major American movement. Gun for Hire has Lake/Ladd which is ace pairing, Graham Greene wrote it which is about as good as it gets. I just wish someone other than Frank Tuttle was directing it. He films it about as straight up as it gets. Someone of just slightly more skill could have really done something special with it.

15 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Yep, John Huston in is his directorial debut really set the ball rolling. This and Gun for Hire to me really kicked off the noir as a major American movement. Gun for Hire has Lake/Ladd which is ace pairing, Graham Greene wrote it which is about as good as it gets. I just wish someone other than Frank Tuttle was directing it. He films it about as straight up as it gets. Someone of just slightly more skill could have really done something special with it.

Gun for Hire was on this weekend, but i missed it. Good one, but my fave Lake/Ladd noir is The Blue Dahlia, from an original Raymond Chandler script. They're great together and there's a topnotch nutso meltdown from Wm Bendix in it.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

Gun for Hire was on this weekend, but i missed it. Good one, but my fave Lake/Ladd noir is The Blue Dahlia, from an original Raymond Chandler script. They're great together and there's a topnotch nutso meltdown from Wm Bendix in it.

Watching it on DVR right now and I might have misjudged Tuttle the first time. The second half of the film has some real nice noir shots. This might have been every bit as influential on noir as The Maltese Falcon. Unlike TMF, TGFH gets out and moves a lot more- not everything is so confined to apartments. 

Nice idea on this list.

Nice lists 80s & wikkid.

I need more time.*

*I'm not a NERD like wikkid & 80s

• Like 1

Alright, here’s mine.  Love the lists so far.  Added some movies to my watchlist....

1. The Third Man - Just about the perfect movie to me.  The zither. Post-war Vienna. Orson Welles, Joseph Cotten. Carol Reed and the cinematography. 
  2. Out of the Past - Probably the film that turned me onto early film noir.
  3. Sunset Boulevard - Combines my interest in film noir with silent movies.  Billy Wilder can’t be beat.
  4. Chinatown
  5. Miller’s Crossing 
  6. The Big Sleep - Quintessential Bogie and Bacall.
  7. The Big Lebowski - Going a bit off chalk here — it qualifies as a noir to me.  The Dude is Marlowe.
  8. Blue Collar - Not quite the traditional movie that one would associate with noir (Richard Pryor as star and the Captain Beefheart music, for a couple), but the story is all noir.  It is a heist one in the vein of The Killing. I think this one gets over-looked too much. Holds up pretty well.
  9. Gun Crazy - Dalton Trumbo classic. Early precursor to previous selection, Bonnie and Clyde.
  10. Touch of Evil - Director’s cut version. Love the opening tracking shot more than anything, but the movie is great overall.

Edited by Don Quixote
  • Like 2

I dig A Simple Plan, I've prob seen it 5 or 6.times over the years.