Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Ilov80s

FBG Movie Club: Noirvember w/ Billy Bob, Kubrick and a Femme Fatale

Noirvember Movies due 12/2  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Posted (edited)

Movie Club! We watch 1 or 2 movies a month, discuss them, analyze them, talk, drink, etc. Each month will have a double feature of 2 movies with some kind of connection. There will be a due date posted to indicate when we can spoiler talk about the movies. Feel free to participate as available. 

Keep track of the movies, reviews and ratings so far in the FBG Movie Club Picture Book---> Here

November 2019: The Killing (1956) vs. A Simple Plan (1998)  due 12/2 ---> movie discussion starts here 

October 2019: Carrie (1976) vs Let the Right One In (2008)  due 11/4 ---> movie discussion starts here

September 2019: The Sweet Hereafter (1997) vs Ordinary People (1980) due 10/7 --->  movie discussion starts here

August 2019: In the Heat of the Night (1967) vs. Bonnie and Clyde (1967)  due September 9 ---> movie discussion starts here

July 2019:  The Conversation (1974) vs. The Lives of Others (2006) due August 12  --> movie discussions starts here

June 2019: The Magnificent Seven (1960)  vs The Hateful 8 (2015) due July 15--> movie discussion starts here

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Love 1

I have access to Netflix, Amazon, and HBO. I'm not opposed to watching or re-watching popcorn movies, but it'd be fun to review some serious cinema since we're figuring out what this will be. The question is how will we nominate? The AFI top 100? A rotation of user picks?

I'm interested, but I have not submitted an answer to your pole. It will only let me select one option for #3.

2 minutes ago, jdoggydogg said:

I have access to Netflix, Amazon, and HBO. I'm not opposed to watching or re-watching popcorn movies, but it'd be fun to review some serious cinema since we're figuring out what this will be. The question is how will we nominate? The AFI top 100? A rotation of user picks?

That I am not sure. We certainly could rotate members choice, have nominees and let us vote, have some kind of theme set-up so the movies have a relationship to something relevant. 

Just now, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

I'm interested, but I have not submitted an answer to your pole. It will only let me select one option for #3.

I fixed it 

4 minutes ago, jdoggydogg said:

No TCM- I assume don't have cable?  

Voted.

1. I am interested
  2. I selected all but "00's - Present". I will watch recent movies for the club tho.
  3. Netflix, TCM, HBO, Showtime (All via streaming only.)
  4. 2 movies a month

I am good for anything in reality. 

Love me some movies

I just watched Miami vice.   2006.  Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx.   I never saw it before.   Absolutely terrible and am glad I never watched it previously 

• Like 2

I'm interested, but have been completely slammed at work for a couple months (with another month more of slammedness at least)... so, hard to think straight.

we have HBO (for now), Amazon and Netflix. 

I'm down for any/all eras. 

I voted 1/month, mostly because I'm slammed and because I'll probably have to watch these late at night after the wife goes to bed. 

Posted (edited)

Will there be a "Rush-documentary" category?  

ETA:  If so, definitely in.  

Edited by Binky The Doormat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

8 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

No TCM- I assume don't have cable?  

Sorry, I guess I have that as well.

4 minutes ago, need2know said:

I just watched Miami vice.   2006.  Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx.   I never saw it before.   Absolutely terrible and am glad I never watched it previously 

I love Michael Mann, but that is one dreary movie. 

@Ilov80s, you need to tweak the Services question. I have none of them. Maybe “other”?

I’ll probably pop in occasionally to tell you all that the movie sucked

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In

• Like 1

I'm in, and up for most everything.

I wouldn't mind some of the longer (3+ hour) epic movies that I keep pushing off.  It may take me a few nights to watch, but some group discussion would commit me to it.

12 minutes ago, jdoggydogg said:

I love Michael Mann, but that is one dreary movie. 

I mean wtf was that

• Like 1

Like I posted in the other thread- I kinda like the idea of a double feature that is tied in somehow - whether its something simple like same director, genre, year, actor, or getting more creative.  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

@Ilov80s, you need to tweak the Services question. I have none of them. Maybe “other”?

Done

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

I might pop in from time to time

49 minutes ago, Dan Lambskin said:

I’ll probably pop in occasionally to tell you all that the movie sucked

54 minutes ago, Buddy Ball 2K3 said:

Sounds promising. Will we get demerits if we don't watch everything?

Ofcourse anyone would be invited to chime in or pick which movies they participate in.

Just now, Ilov80s said:

Of course anyone would be invited to chime in or pick which movies they participate in.

WAT?!?

I'm out then!

;)

26 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Like I posted in the other thread- I kinda like the idea of a double feature that is tied in somehow - whether its something simple like same director, genre, year, actor, or getting more creative.  

Toughest part will be just finding movies that meet some dual criteria and are available for everyone that month.

1 minute ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

WAT?!?

I'm out then!

;)

Well if you are out you can still come here and participate which makes you in.

• Thinking 1

1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

Toughest part will be just finding movies that meet some dual criteria and are available for everyone that month.

Honestly, it's going to be tough to find good options if we are mostly doing streaming.  Most of the services absolutely blow for movies pre-1985.  

Just now, Ilov80s said:

Well if you are out you can still come here and participate which makes you in.

Damn you 80's and your 🥨 logic!!!

5 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Honestly, it's going to be tough to find good options if we are mostly doing streaming.  Most of the services absolutely blow for movies pre-1985.  

Yeah but Netflix seems to switch the older movies up a bit. Amazon Prime has an interesting collection. The best is obviously just TCM, but maybe we have chord cutters who don’t have it?

One way to nominate: each person has one decade per film. So you get to nominate one film from the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, etc.

in like Flynn, down like (Zanuck &)Brown, here like Gere, there like rented hair

netflix/basic cable all i got

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

Yeah but Netflix seems to switch the older movies up a bit. Amazon Prime has an interesting collection. The best is obviously just TCM, but maybe we have chord cutters who don’t have it?

I dont have TCM, but assume I can get just about anything through the library system.  

3 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I am a cord cutter, but I cheat. I use my 80 and 84 yo parents cable account to stream at my house. They don;t even know how to stream, so I am not really increasing the bandwidth.

I never advocate for cheating, but options are available at present to those who have cut the cord.

2 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

I never advocate for cheating, but options are available at present to those who have cut the cord.

I seldom advocate ...

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

I am a cord cutter, but I cheat. I use my 80 and 84 yo parents cable account to stream at my house. They don;t even know how to stream, so I am not really increasing the bandwidth.

Lots of these are built for sharing as you can often have up to 6 log-ins at a time. My friends and I share services. We have Hulu, someone else has Netflix and another couple has HBO. We all share accounts. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ilov80s said:

Lots of these are built for sharing as you can often have up to 6 log-ins at a time. My friends and I share services. We have Hulu, someone else has Netflix and another couple has HBO. We all share accounts. 

Yeah, the last I read on this, I came away thinking that if the services really wanted to prevent this, it would be pretty easy.

I have no idea if that is true, but I do know they don't seem too concerned at present.

Not trying to be a ####, but I am honestly curious since I seem to have little luck finding stuff on Netflix/AP/Hulu to watch movie-wise : what are ilov80s and others finding on those services to watch? 

Off the top of my head, I think I have Network, African Queen? Not many in my queue i would consider movie club-worthy.  

10 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

I seldom advocate ...

:hifive:

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Not trying to be a ####, but I am honestly curious since I seem to have little luck finding stuff on Netflix/AP/Hulu to watch movie-wise : what are ilov80s and others finding on those services to watch? 

Off the top of my head, I think I have Network, African Queen? Not many in my queue i would consider movie club-worthy.  

I just pulled up my Netflix - on page one (I hate the way Netflix organizes)

Lincoln, The King's Speech, The Imitation Game, No Country For Old Men, Clockwork Orange, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, All The President's Men, Gran Torino, ...

That is just the one "line" I scrolled through. Are these "club level"?

• Like 1

Just looking at Netflix for older movies

1 minute ago, KarmaPolice said:

On Amazon, I am watching "

This is what is pre-80s and streaming on Netflix now: 
All the Presidents Men,  Monty Python movies, The Third Man, Bonnie and Clyde, Deliverance, Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe,  The Graduate, Network, Apocalypse Now, Cool Hand Luke, Clockwork Orange

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

I just pulled up my Netflix - on page one (I hate the way Netflix organizes)

Lincoln, The King's Speech, The Imitation Game, No Country For Old Men, Clockwork Orange, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, All The President's Men, Gran Torino, ...

That is just the one "line" I scrolled through. Are these "club level"?

Absolutely club worthy IMO. 

Posted (edited)

film #1:  Weekend at Bernie's.

discuss.

Edited by Maik Jeaunz
lol, flim.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Monty Python movies

A must!!!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maik Jeaunz said:

discuss.

Drunk Andrew McCarthy theme....I like it. :thumbup:

1 minute ago, Osaurus said:
2 minutes ago, Maik Jeaunz said:

discuss.

Drunk Andrew McCarthy theme....I like it. :thumbup:

Plus, we could discuss what constitutes an ethical use of the dead.

• Thinking 1

1 minute ago, Maik Jeaunz said:

flim #1:  Weekend at Bernie's.

discuss.

30 years later and it's still the best movie on the subject of making a corpse blend in to varioius social events. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How about Castle Keep with Burt Lancaster? It’s kind of a weird movie.

• Like 2

I am guessing when loading my queues, I am mostly skipping stuff I've seen which is all but 2 from those two lists.  Not that I am against rewatches and discussing those.  

I would say those are "club worthy", but not digging too deep.   Maybe I'm wrong, but figure most in here have seen the likes of Monty Python, Apocalypse Now, NCFOM, etc. 

• Like 1