What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Movie Club: We're Getting the Band Back Together: Metallica vs Nina Simone Movie Docs (5 Viewers)

I currently have

• Netflix

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Amazon Prime

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • HBO Max

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Hulu

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Disney+

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Criterion

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • TCM Chanel

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
Carrie provides an opportunity to praise and slag off Brian De Palma.  Few directors can move between genius and hack as quickly as De Palma can.

The film he directed this year Domino didn't even get a theatrical release in the US.  It's available on Netflix.  Other De Palma films on Prime are Blow Out, Snake Eyes :shock:   and an early film called The Wedding Party with a very young Robert De Niro.

Carrie provides an opportunity to praise and slag off Brian De Palma.  Few directors can move between genius and hack as quickly as De Palma can.

The film he directed this year Domino didn't even get a theatrical release in the US.  It's available on Netflix.  Other De Palma films on Prime are Blow Out, Snake Eyes :shock:   and an early film called The Wedding Party with a very young Robert De Niro.
Interesting. Directed quite a few movies, and the one I remember most (or second-to-most) is Femme Fatale.

:bag:

Blow Out is probably my favorite film from BDP- would have been a perfect fit with out July movies of The Conversation and The Lives of Others. However, I’ll never forgive him for the absolute mess he made of The Black Dahlia.

I rewatched Dressed to Kill when it was on TCM recently.  It wasn't as good as I remembered but it was still pretty decent.  My daughter happened to wander in during the art museum scene and hung around through Angie's murder.  We were alternately laughing, oohing and screaming during the segment.

The Black Dahlia isn't very good but it's still better than The Bonfires of the Vanities.

I suggested a "birthday" theme with 80s - I share a birthday (not year) with DePalma.   I love Blow Out and Carrie, but yeah - his stinkers are rock bottom.  

I suggested a "birthday" theme with 80s - I share a birthday (not year) with DePalma.   I love Blow Out and Carrie, but yeah - his stinkers are rock bottom.  
that b'day is scarier than most of his movies. my favorite DePalma was his closest rip from his idol, Hitchcock - a reconstruction of Vertigo themes called Obsession, with Cliff Robertson, Genevieve Bujold, John Lithgow and, most importantly, one of the last soundtracks of the great Bernard Herrman's career

I have seen Rosemarys Baby once. I would think most have seen it but it’s also from the 60s and I was surprised by how many hadn’t seen Bonnie and Clyde/ItHotN
Rosemary's Baby is a fav of mine, but I don't have many horror flix under my belt. What I like of the horror flix that appeal - psychological suspense. The gory stuff, and the shock stuff - and similar don't really affect me much. It's kinda like action flix in a way. I end up zoning out during the action waiting for dialogue. Horror - I end up zoning out during the gore waiting for the psych stuff. I dunno why I react that way, but it is not a judgement thing - my mind just zones out.

Carrie I saw years ago. I liked it. I am ready for a rewatch. I don't think I have seen Let ... I'll give it a go though.

I also finally got my Netflix back. Bastids still piss me off tho. 

Just starting Carrie now...that is quite the interesting opening sequence. Slow motion, fog, low lit high school girls running around naked throwing underwear at each other, nude girl in shower doing a softcore shower scene with a bar of soap to hysteria to the rabid bullying to a teacher shoving and slapping around students.

Just starting Carrie now...that is quite the interesting opening sequence. Slow motion, fog, low lit high school girls running around naked throwing underwear at each other, nude girl in shower doing a softcore shower scene with a bar of soap to hysteria to the rabid bullying to a teacher shoving and slapping around students.
Watched it a few days ago and realized that, while i'd watched snippets on the tube, i'd never actually watched Carrie stem-to-stern. It's funny how #metoo changes one's feeling about Porkyness on film. A little predatory wasn't it? Guess i won't be able to source '73's The Cheerleaders for a tug anymore....There was a lotta bimbettes of my era in this too. Didn't know Amy Irving's actual mother played her mother in this. I dated Amy's sister Katie when we both volunteered @ Santa Fe School for the Deaf and met Priscilla Pointer several times. Both her daughters have a little of her cat-eye factor, but hers have such intense felinity that you halfway expect her to cough a furball at you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched it a few days ago and realized that, while i'd watched snippets on the tube, i'd never actually watched Carrie stem-to-stern. It's funny how #metoo changes one's feeling about Porkyness on film. A little predatory wasn't it? Guess i won't be able to source '73's The Cheerleaders for a tug anymore....There was a lotta bimbettes of my era in this too. Didn't know Amy Irving's actual mother played her mother in this. I dated Amy's sister Katie when we both volunteered @ Santa Fe School for the Deaf and met Priscilla Pointer several times. Both her daughters have a little of her cat-eye factor, but hers have such intense felinity that you halfway expect her to cough a furball at you.
Yeah my thoughts were weird: on one hand, I remember being a kid in the 80s and 90s. I would have rewound a scene like this over and over, even before I fully understood why. Now I’m a high school teacher and it’s creepy, awkward  and absurd. Then there’s blood and screaming and it becomes the one of us scene from Freaks. It’s a lot to process. 

I also like that one of the female students appears to dress like Super Mario everyday. 
PJ Soles had a good run of cult movies in the late 70s including Carrie, Halloween, Rock n Roll High School, Breaking Away, Stripes and Private Benjamin.

I just wonder if Carrie was too subtle and restrained? 
All this talk of it makes me want to watch this today; going to fire it up.  I'm fitting in a few horror films this month that SmoovySmoov (does he post here anymore) recommended on Facebook.  Watched The Babadook yesterday on his recommendation.

All this talk of it makes me want to watch this today; going to fire it up.  I'm fitting in a few horror films this month that SmoovySmoov (does he post here anymore) recommended on Facebook.  Watched The Babadook yesterday on his recommendation.
Did you like it?

I was kind of meh for me as I recall.

I was surprised how much Carrie has in common with just a typical teen movie. Also, I was definitely joking about it being restrained. It's over the top and campy as hell (in a good way). 

Did you like it?

I was kind of meh for me as I recall.
I liked it a lot, but I enjoy the gradual builds that I could understand some might find too slow or boring.  To me, it was incredibly terrifying due to the metaphorical aspects; I've probably not been good at addressing grief, though hopefully not to the extent of the mother!

I was surprised how much Carrie has in common with just a typical teen movie. Also, I was definitely joking about it being restrained. It's over the top and campy as hell (in a good way). 
that was gonna be the base of my review, a lot more focused on Carrie helping develop the tropes upon which the teen movie was based more than the horror movie. problem is, i thought it was contrived then & that was pretty much my gen (the movie is set a few years after my class, but the principals are around the same age)

I'm only five minutes into Carrie but predict the 70s grooming habits will be the most terrifying part of the movie for me.
Yeah, this poor girl and the insane way adults treat the kids, society treats the outcasts. I get a little bit of a young Daenerys Targaryen vibe too. 

Why are all these high-school students in their late 20s?  Were they all held back?

How were guys with perms ever a thing?
As you prolly know, my high school had a "no hair below the collar" policy. 

Well... in order to get around it, me & and pal got perms to curl our hair up above the collar at school. 

At night - blow dry it straight. :bag:

We only did it one semester - '85 I think. 

I dunno fer sure, as my head was kinda fuzzy. 

How were guys with perms ever a thing?
I was talking about this with the woman that cuts my hair. They're back for high school-aged kids. Apparently there are some YouTube and social media sensations with half perms/shaved/long fronts.

Just laughed along with her. She'd had requests for them and I think she was debating refusing to do them. It all comes full circle. 

eta* sorta like this https://www.allthingshair.com/en-us/mens-hairstyles/curly-hairstyles-for-men/man-perm/

rockaction said:
I was talking about this with the woman that cuts my hair. They're back for high school-aged kids. Apparently there are some YouTube and social media sensations with half perms/shaved/long fronts.

Just laughed along with her. She'd had requests for them and I think she was debating refusing to do them. It all comes full circle. 

eta* sorta like this https://www.hairstylo.com/2018/11/perm-hairstyles-for-men.html
I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry at this, so I went with "thinking." ;)  

When I saw Carrie for the first time it was the first run in the theater and I was in high school. I saw it with 4 of my other high school friends, we all resembled the actors. We all thought it was the coolest movie ever and it was the talk of school. I watched it again recently and was amazed by the performance of Spacek and Piper Laurie (mom). Brilliant De Palma masterpiece and I don't think I'd even read a Stephen King at the time (now I've read all of them). 

Users who are viewing this thread