What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Movie Club: We're Getting the Band Back Together: Metallica vs Nina Simone Movie Docs (3 Viewers)

I currently have

• Netflix

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Amazon Prime

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • HBO Max

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Hulu

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Disney+

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Criterion

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • TCM Chanel

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
KarmaPolice said:
There sure are a lot of dirty pillows in this opening scene.  
For 43 years I thought she called her nips, "dirty fellows." Then I watched it with my wife recently and she said, "dirty pillows." We then argued about it until wiki cleared it up. I lose again.

What kind of vote is it?  I'm confused.
The kind where people who ask questions don't get a say. OK? 

Actually, I will add a poll in the near future where I tell you the theme (not the movies) and we vote. I want to wait until it's a bit closer so I am confident the movies I have in mind are still streaming. 

Vote for the  November Movie Theme

Option 1: Noirvember 

Option 2: Hitchcockian

Option 3: The Deep State

Reply to this post with your vote and I will keep tabs (note must have at least 7 votes for it to be official). Last day to vote is Election Day Tuesday, November 4th 

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to this post with your vote and I will keep tabs (note must have at least 7 votes for it to be official). Last day to vote is Election Day Tuesday, November 4th 
Noirvember

I rewatched Dressed to Kill when it was on TCM recently.  It wasn't as good as I remembered but it was still pretty decent.  My daughter happened to wander in during the art museum scene and hung around through Angie's murder.  We were alternately laughing, oohing and screaming during the segment.

The Black Dahlia isn't very good but it's still better than The Bonfires of the Vanities.
My dad had this movie on VHS when I was a kid. I don’t think I ever watched the whole movie. Just the first five minutes. About 100 times. 

I loved Let the Right One In. I thought pretty much everything about it was brilliant. 
Did you just watch it, or you talking in general? 

Surprised there hasn't been more chatter about Let the Right One In around here.  I guess it is the harder one to track down though.  I was going to do a rewatch this weekend so its fresh in my mind.  

I like all the options, but will vote for Noirvember as well.  

Surprised there hasn't been more chatter about Let the Right One In around here.  I guess it is the harder one to track down though.  I was going to do a rewatch this weekend so its fresh in my mind.  
Sorry, I didn’t just watch it, which I know is the point of this thread. I’ve seen it twice previously though. There is just so much I like about it though. The acting performances. The mood. The cinematography.  The story. The weirdness. 

Sorry, I didn’t just watch it, which I know is the point of this thread. I’ve seen it twice previously though. There is just so much I like about it though. The acting performances. The mood. The cinematography.  The story. The weirdness. 
The point of this thread is to talk about movies.  Doesn't matter if you just rewatched it, I was just asking out of curiosity.  

Speaking of which, I finally finished watching De Palma's latest movie Domino on Netflix.  It's a low budget cop vs. terrorists affair set in Copenhagen, Brussels and Almeria.  The best known star is Guy Pearce playing a CIA bad guy.  To be fair to De Palma, I don't think Hitchcock could have made a good movie from this script but he probably would have kept things moving along quicker to hide the plot holes.

It looks like De Palma saved his budget for three big signature set pieces.  The rooftop chase at the start of the movie is the best by far.  The first person perspective of a mass shooting on a film festival red carpet is creepy even if you take it as an industry inside joke.  The climax where the good guys foil (SPOILER) a terror attack on a Spanish bullring is like a parody of a De Palma film.  It has everything you came for: overhead camera angles, slow motion, long wordless passages with swelling strings and Bolero rhythms, more slow motion, binocular shots, intercutting.  It's completely ridiculous but it has a strange magnificence to it.

One of the best things about it is the score is from longtime De Palma collaborator Pino Donaggio who has provided music for eight De Palma films dating back to Carrie.

Two stars

Yeah I need to take the time to rent it this weekend/week. I am excited to watch- just lazy and putting on the horror movies I recorded on TCM or that are on NF/AP. 

Mice. They’re all for ya as long as you’re in the chips. I never seen a dame yet that’s still around when you hit the skids.

I walked. For how long I don't know; I didn't have a watch. They don't put that kind of time in watches anyway....

How could I have known that murder could sometimes smell like honeysuckle?

Hey, you know somethin'? You ought to be doin' radio commercials - how to talk a lot and say nothin'.

You're like a leaf that the wind blows from one gutter to another. You can’t help anything you do, even murder.

Keep on riding me and they're gonna be picking iron out of your liver.
Maybe you'll like this, maybe you won't; either way, there's more.

I know A Girl Like You and that everyone used to want to blow everything to them. 
Fun fact for ya: that song was their "response" to the burgeoning grunge sound coming from the left coast.  Bonus fun fact for ya: this song was in the running for use in Say Anything, but lost out to that Peter Gabriel song.  Guess theirs was too on the nose.

Blood and Roses (one of my many personal favorites of theirs) was used in the film Dangerously Close.

Behind the Wall of Sleep was one of the first of their songs that I heard.  I was hooked.

They even do pretty kickass covers of other songs, like Time Won't Let Me, which was featured the Jean-Claude Van Damme vehicle Time Cop.

Sorry for going on so much about them, but noir is in their wheelhouse, and they are in mine. That last one is from 2011, 30+ years since they started.  FWIW, they still tour despite their lead singer passing away in 2017.  Marshall Crenshaw and Robin Wilson of the Gin Blossoms take turns filling in for him, and the group was recently inducted into the New Jersey Hall of Fame, performing arts category.

GOD SAVE THE SMITHEREENS!

I still need to watch both. Downloaded the Kanopy app for it though.  The Nats’ postseason run has been dominating my TV watching lately..

Fine tune. Nice reference. And any chance to see Suzanne Vega's eyes is a great way to start one's online day. If i had a gf w eyes like that, she'd never get any sleep cuz i wouldn't let her close em...

For noir citations, let's not forget the master:

“I needed a drink, I needed a lot of life insurance, I needed a vacation, I needed a home in the country. What I had was a coat, a hat and a gun. I put them on and went out of the room.”
Only one i've seen top Chandler was William Faulkner himself, scripting Chandler's The Big Sleep:

Then she tried to sit in my lap while I was standing up

Fine tune. Nice reference. And any chance to see Suzanne Vega's eyes is a great way to start one's online day. If i had a gf w eyes like that, she'd never get any sleep cuz i wouldn't let her close em...

For noir citations, let's not forget the master:

Only one i've seen top Chandler was William Faulkner himself, scripting Chandler's The Big Sleep:
I could listen to Suzanne Vega sing the phone book, and I think I once got a semi listening to 99.9 f

Watching Let the Right One In, pretty good so far. It definitely has more heart than one typically finds it a horror film. It's not what I would call scary but I don't think horror movies have to be scary. It is sad more than anything and reminds me a lot of KA's pick last month: The Sweet Hereafter. 

Watching Let the Right One In, pretty good so far. It definitely has more heart than one typically finds it a horror film. It's not what I would call scary but I don't think horror movies have to be scary. It is sad more than anything and reminds me a lot of KA's pick last month: The Sweet Hereafter. 
For me, it is a brutally honest situation and something has to change for these desperate characters (albeit better and/or for worse). Great film

Hitchcockian

Watched Carrie last night. I have seen this movie a lot. That includes seeing at the theaters when it was first released. I enjoy it every time. Does a great job of building sympathy and hope all at the same time for Carrie. Effects are minimal and are great. Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie are great together. This may be one of the best adaptations of a King novel in my opinion. It's pretty faithful to the source material. 

The start is interesting. It was much more HS 80s movie than I expected. 
Since this came out in '76,  I guess he set the precedent for Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Porky's. I'm just not sure what DePalma was going for. Didn't really work as a juxtaposition against where the rest of the movie was going, and seemed gratuitous even for its era. Seems now more like he did it because he could.

But it does make me wonder why Nancy Allen wasn't more of a star.

Users who are viewing this thread