Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Ilov80s

FBG Movie Club: Snowpiercer and Okja, due 3/2

February Movie, due 3/2  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Gonna be a little tricky keeping the discussion non-political 

That was my bad, sorry but I don’t think American Factory gets overly political.

Edited by Ilov80s

27 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

That was my sorry but I don’t think American Factory gets overly political.

It's pretty hard to stick to flicks.  Everything is political since before D.W. Griffith.

• Like 3

I watched TLBMISF last night. I want to give it a high ranking but I believe it will get a three from me. I think they did some things very well and I see what I think they were going for but I feel they just missed it. I can't quite put my finger on it but something was missing or off?

While I enjoyed the movie it is not one I would ever watch again or really recommend. I would keep my eye out for the director as I feel they may be very good but we will see.

8 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

That was my bad, sorry but I don’t think American Factory gets overly political.

I meant more for me.  I don't think the film got too political, but sometimes it's hard to check those thoughts at the door watching something like this and talking about it.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I meant more for me.  I don't think the film got too political, but sometimes it's hard to check those thoughts at the door watching something like this and talking about it.  

I have very political feelings about it as well but they are more ideological and not really about any particular party or politician. I thought AF was balanced but in the end I took out of it what I expected to take out of it.

Confirmation bias? Perhaps. 

On 1/22/2020 at 12:12 PM, wikkidpissah said:

that's when it gets worse for me, because i remember Hoffa and that wasnt even close to Hoffa

Yeah... I think Pacino is an awful actor... and is especially bad as Hoffa.

Ironically, I thought he was pretty good in Hollywood

1 minute ago, Keerock said:

He’s a ham and always has been but I enjoy it mostly. If the material is good and everything around him is working, his works for me. 

10 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Gonna be a little tricky keeping the discussion non-political 

Has it been discussed who the founders of "Higher Ground Productions" are yet?

5 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

I didn't know until I saw the discussion with them and the directors as a bonus on NF.  

15 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

No but I am sure it will come up in the discussion- it's hard not to point it out but I don't think it really impacts the movie or my perception of it since liberal leaning is the status quo for movie producers. 

1 hour ago, Don Quixote said:

Just the kind of first film a community organizer would make

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keerock said:

I just wish Pacino had gotten the lead in Bohemian Rhapsody so @Ilov80s would know what we're talking about

• Laughing 2

10 hours ago, Eephus said:

It's pretty hard to stick to flicks.  Everything is political since before D.W. Griffith.

Is the political carving out a space for the personal a political act, or is the impetus for politics deeply personal and therefore, politics necessarily follows the person in the state of nature?

I argue the against the politicization of everything, as I think we are individuals before politics.

But I see what you're saying. For the sake of a message board, true discussion with go back to politics at a deep level. 

7 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Is the political carving out a space for the personal a political act, or is the impetus for politics deeply personal and therefore, politics necessarily follows the person in the state of nature?

I argue the against the politicization of everything, as I think we are individuals before politics.

But I see what you're saying. For the sake of a message board, true discussion with go back to politics at a deep level. 

Everything's political. Everything personal is psychological, everything social is political because everything social is hierarchical. 

23 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

I just wish Pacino had gotten the lead in Bohemian Rhapsody so @Ilov80s would know what we're talking about

Couldn't have made that movie much worse. 

5 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

Everything's political. Everything personal is psychological, everything social is political because everything social is hierarchical. 

The natural rights conception of the state of nature, although a theoretical construct, would disagree with this. It would separate the private sphere from the public one because of the inherent rights held by the individual, rights he or she only trade for security. 

But this again shows why this veers towards PSF territory. I'll be happy to take it over there. It sounds like you guys were worried about the movie discussion getting unsuitably political and thus I will end my role here. Peace.

6 minutes ago, rockaction said:

The natural rights conception of the state of nature, although a theoretical construct, would disagree with this. It would separate the private sphere from the public one because of the inherent rights held by the individual, rights he or she only trade for security. 

yeah, poppycock

Just now, wikkidpissah said:

yeah, poppycock

*gasps*

You communist igloo-lovin' bird, you...

Nah, lots of people have said that in the centuries since natural rights/state of nature theory was given to us

1 minute ago, rockaction said:

*gasps*

You communist igloo-lovin' bird, you...

Nah, lots of people have said that in the centuries since natural rights/state of nature theory was given to us

that's when people were wholly-owned subsidiaries of God, looking for a better explanation. onanological nonsense

3 minutes ago, rockaction said:

But this again shows why this veers towards PSF territory. I'll be happy to take it over there. It sounds like you guys were worried about the movie discussion getting unsuitably political and thus I will end my role here. Peace.

Political is ok. We just don't want it turn in PSF forum style conversation. I would prefer to avoid too much specific mentioning of politicians, parties, etc. I don't think the issue of gentrification, global economies, cultural relations or robotics in the workforce are really partisan issues. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

We just don't want it turn in PSF forum style conversation.

Do you have an unbiased link to support this? TIA. 

• Laughing 1

if it all gets party-political, i agree we should table it. but since our political structures have essentially abandoned us, i think figuring out how to override or circumvent those structures for the benefit of mankind is extra-political, moral even, and has a place in the discussion of art

37 minutes ago, rockaction said:

32 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Political is ok. We just don't want it turn in PSF forum style conversation. I would prefer to avoid too much specific mentioning of politicians, parties, etc. I don't think the issue of gentrification, global economies, cultural relations or robotics in the workforce are really partisan issues. 

Basically my thought was on the lines of what 80s said.  We have to be able to talk about the themes of the movies, but probably best to avoid too many specifics or blame.  

I mean if we can't talk about topics and theme that are in the political arena, we can't talk about movies.  

• Like 2

To be honest, my AF focus is primarily on the factory setting itself and the human dynamics within a corporate environment. 

I see where politics enters, but I think party based stuff won't enter my posts. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

To be honest, my AF focus is primarily on the factory setting itself and the human dynamics within a corporate environment. 

I see where politics enters, but I think party based stuff won't enter my posts. 

Mine was more on the lines of general thoughts while watching it - interesting hearing their thoughts on the Americans, how to interact with them, and their work ethic.  But then part of their work ethic is forced on them by their country, so it's an interesting dynamic.  

• Like 2

Also, it's always hard for me to rate docs.    There are very few that I don't get something out of and like a lot.  

The first ~6 minutes of LBMISF is as gorgeous as anything I’ve seen this year 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 2

LBMISF deserved a cinematography nomination for sure 

• Like 3

What a gorgeous movie, so impressed with everything about it.

• Like 4

On 1/12/2020 at 5:07 AM, The Man With No Name said:

Watching Last Black Man now.  Good classic noir they're watching near the beginning.

DOA- the story of a man investigating his own murder via poisoning. Interesting connection. 

2 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

DOA- the story of a man investigating his own murder via poisoning. Interesting connection. 

Also shot in SF.

• Like 1

American Factory was just an all around sad movie. I grew up with and worked with assembly line/ factory workers. I did it myself for some time. The difference to me was that movie made it look like it was an entire town of people like that. While I knew those people I also knew doctors, teachers, police, grocery store guy etc.... This movie made me feel like there was no one in this town other than these assembly line workers and they were all sad and depressed. I found very little value in this movie. I did not learn much of anything new, I was not entertained, and I was made to feel sad. Not one shred of happiness or hope in this movie but not in a good way. I gave it a 1

LBMISF I gave a three. I did enjoy the directing, cinematography, and a lot of what they did with color. I do think this movie missed it's mark but not by much.

On 1/25/2020 at 4:41 PM, Ilov80s said:

LBMISF deserved a cinematography nomination for sure 

While it was beautifully shot, I didn't find the compositions all that original. It seemed fairly derivative of other films. I felt like I was watching, not quite an imitation, but, close to it. Possibly more saturated color than other similar movies, but not that far off. Like it had found the phrasebook for some foreign language and was trying out all the common sayings, while not quite grasping the meaning beneath. 

• Thinking 1

17 hours ago, prosopis said:

American Factory was just an all around sad movie. I grew up with and worked with assembly line/ factory workers. I did it myself for some time. The difference to me was that movie made it look like it was an entire town of people like that. While I knew those people I also knew doctors, teachers, police, grocery store guy etc.... This movie made me feel like there was no one in this town other than these assembly line workers and they were all sad and depressed. I found very little value in this movie. I did not learn much of anything new, I was not entertained, and I was made to feel sad. Not one shred of happiness or hope in this movie but not in a good way. I gave it a 1

Ouch. I look forward to @wikkidpissah and you discussing this

TCM has a Magnificent Seven marathon tomorrow, for fans of a prior club pick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Don Quixote said:

There are way more sequels than I had thought 

Get your movie club in this weekend 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2020 at 7:24 PM, Ilov80s said:
On 1/29/2020 at 5:32 PM, Don Quixote said:

There are way more sequels than I had thought 

Mathematical proof for the law of diminishing returns.

• Like 1

Watched American Factory last night.  I'm searching for an angle to help formulate my thoughts.

• Like 1

Just now, Eephus said:

Watched American Factory last night.  I'm searching for an angle to help formulate my thoughts.

I'll give you mine: Michael Moore and Michael Keaton had a love child.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

1 hour ago, Eephus said:

There's actually lots of angles to this. 

Which is gonna be my angle. 

2 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Get your movie club in this weekend 

Will do. 

I plan to rewatch AF also. 

• Like 1

Will finish LBMiSF tonight. 

Also saw that The Lighthouse and Parasite were a decent price on Amazon to rent so have those waiting for this week.  

5 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Will finish LBMiSF tonight. 

Also saw that The Lighthouse and Parasite were a decent price on Amazon to rent so have those waiting for this week.  

I am watching it again and it's blowing me away again.

• Like 1

I'll get the ball rolling, but first I will say I enjoyed this month's pairing.  I was more 'comfortable' getting my thoughts together about American Factory than I was Last Black Man, but I definitely liked the latter more, and feel there is a lot more to it than I can express at the moment.  Anyway, I'll break the ice:

American Factory

I made a comment earlier saying this movie is like a love child between Michael Moore and Michael Keaton; I should have added Ron Howard since he directed the film this one reminded me of: Gung Ho. To me, AF hit all the same notes that Gung Ho did but without Keaton as the lightning rod. Like Gung Ho, I felt AF did strike a mostly neutral, balanced view of the story; there were people on both sides who tried to adapt to the other, and just like with Gung Ho, the gulf between ownership and labor was contaminated by the middle, vis a vis union activists and arrogant middle managers. TBH, I didn't mind seeing this story again in 'documentary' fashion, until the last few minutes when they added the automation aspect. It felt tacked on and undercut everything that came before it. Any lingering questions the movie had set up were all made moot because of the ending. :thumbdown:

Last Black Man in San Francisco

Loved the visuals (many scenes were so full of rich color that I thought they were going to drip off the screen, and others looked almost Kubrick-esque in that they were telling the story and the characters and dialogue were like captions), thought the acting was great, enjoyed the story, especially the play. I enjoyed the contrast between Jimmy/Mont and the 'chorus'/sterotypical street punks. Jimmy had my favorite line of the whole film: toward the end, about not being allowed to hate something unless you love it. It's also one of the few movies where I was able to appreciate the "hero's journey" as it unfolded and didn't try to jump to conclusions about where it was going to lead; watching the journey itself was very satisfying, and despite his original 'quest' ending in failure, Jimmy's journey ends triumphantly anyway, and in a natural way. I will probably watch it again sometime, I'm just not sure what frame of mind I would have to be in.

Edited by Charlie Steiner
  • Like 8