What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Movie Club: We're Getting the Band Back Together: Metallica vs Nina Simone Movie Docs (6 Viewers)

I currently have

• Netflix

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Amazon Prime

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • HBO Max

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Hulu

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Disney+

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Criterion

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • TCM Chanel

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
I’m a bit curious to see the “prequel” of American Factory by the same team — “The Last Truck: The Closing of a GM Plant.” It involves the same factory.

It looks like it is available on HBO Go. It seems like a similar setup as Roger & Me, but I expect a bit more even-handed.
I plan to watch this also.

I thought about watching it instead of Snowpiercer last night, but I needed to relax. 

AF & this one are too personal for me to "relax to". 

Thnx for the heads up, as I was not aware of the prequel till your post. 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, now I'm looking forward to watching Snowpiercer.
I'll be eager to read what you think.  Your review of LBMISF was a fantastic read.  Honestly don't remember Snowpiercer that well except that I liked it much more than I expected.  Probably need to watch it again.

I'll be eager to read what you think.  Your review of LBMISF was a fantastic read.  Honestly don't remember Snowpiercer that well except that I liked it much more than I expected.  Probably need to watch it again.
You're too kind.

Seeing the Bong give his Oscar speeches piqued my interest and gives me a little backstory to work with.  He seems like an auteur, let's see what he does with dystopian sci-fi.

IMO this month highlights what's wrong with streaming services and how we lose access to movies vs a quality movie rental joint.  While I like all his movies, I think our two are slightly lesser Bongs, and would love access to Mother, The Host, and Memories of Murder.  

IMO this month highlights what's wrong with streaming services and how we lose access to movies vs a quality movie rental joint.  While I like all his movies, I think our two are slightly lesser Bongs, and would love access to Mother, The Host, and Memories of Murder.  
Also his 2 English films

Sadly, my state don't allow renting joints at the movies - of any quality.

So - I just sneak my own in - of high quality.

Seriously, I agree. I was soooo sad when my local rental shops closed. 

*My weed puns for this month may get irritating.  Please don't stone me for them.*

• Laughing
Reactions: jwb
Maybe im wrong but I thought Snowpiercer and Okja are his  two movies that had a large chunk in English and with English actors?
Gotcha.  My point was that you can't find the others on streaming easily.   Pretty sure I head Memories of Murder is not even on bluray and is hard to find (I need to see if I still have my dvd downstairs).  

Just remember the cool video store at the UW that had thousands and thousands of movies, and even when I did the disc option for NF it felt like I could watch anything I want.  Streaming changed all that.   It almost feels like the opposite of the music streaming in that music you can listen to basically whatever you want, but movies I struggle to find more than a dozen on a service.  

Gotcha.  My point was that you can't find the others on streaming easily.   Pretty sure I head Memories of Murder is not even on bluray and is hard to find (I need to see if I still have my dvd downstairs).  

Just remember the cool video store at the UW that had thousands and thousands of movies, and even when I did the disc option for NF it felt like I could watch anything I want.  Streaming changed all that.   It almost feels like the opposite of the music streaming in that music you can listen to basically whatever you want, but movies I struggle to find more than a dozen on a service.  
Oh yeah, I agree. I was just clumsily pointing out that the 2 movies for the month are in English.

From 2001 to about 2012, I purchased DVD's seemingly every week. I must have 1,500-2,000. Seeing how lousy and limited streaming really is, I'm happy I have them. 

The 1st hour of Snowpiercer: I wasn't feeling it and didn't see  the Bong touch. 

2nd hour: pretty well done social criticism, all of a sudden fun and I can totally see how this is the guy who directed Parasite.

The 1st hour of Snowpiercer: I wasn't feeling it and didn't see  the Bong touch. 

2nd hour: pretty well done social criticism, all of a sudden fun and I can totally see how this is the guy who directed Parasite.
I totally agree. (Eh, except I haven't seen Parasite yet - so I can't comment on that part.) 

Without spoiling, I can only say that in the 1st half, I had a major question that wasn't clear & it bugged me - kinda. 

2nd half answered it well. 

👍

We made it around to watching The Anderson Tapes before it goes off streaming on Sunday.

It's an entertaining heist movie that used surveillance as a gimmick to frame the film and occasionally bump the plot along.  It didn't have as much to say about the serious themes explored by the movie club films. 

Connery was strong as usual and it was a hoot to see what passed for state of the art technology in 1971.  Some of the character stereotypes were kind of cringey but that's not unusual for a movie from a half century ago.
Gonna watch it tonight. Coming at 12:40 am on Movies! Network. 
Probably been 10 years since I saw it

Interesting that Bong was so well known in the film industry, able to get names like Evans, Gyllenhaal, Swinton and $50 million from Netflix to make these American movies but didn’t really make much of a dent in mainstream movie watchers until he went back to Korea to make a Korean language film.

It got caught up in a mess of stuff.
I see that now. I hadn’t seen the post about Bos yet when I replied. Sorry about the loss but also it sounds like your family was blessed to have such a loyal companion. Thanks for all the contributions here, in the music threads and the board in general. 

Snowpiercer - Ugh. Stillborn exposition mired in the stultifying logic of zombieverse melodrama. Orwell might have regretted writing if he knew this was how it would be borrowed. The cinematic equivalent of a Rush tribute band. Oooeee - can't wait for the next one
Well posted. Have you seen Parasite? I think this is an interesting case of seeing how bad a good writer/director can be. Even Hitchcock and Wilder has duds. Snowpiercer was a total whiff for me as well. 

Are there many cases like this where foreign director does American movies like this? 

Is it something in the translation of ideas? Meddling from our studio system? 

Well posted. Have you seen Parasite? I think this is an interesting case of seeing how bad a good writer/director can be. Even Hitchcock and Wilder has duds. Snowpiercer was a total whiff for me as well. 
Pardon my delayed response - i had to watch an extra 30Rock just to get my girlish insouciance back. No - havent seen Parasite

Are there many cases like this where foreign director does American movies like this? 

Is it something in the translation of ideas? Meddling from our studio system? 
If you look at the the 30s-50s, it is full of foreign directors who fled Europe to make movies in America. Billy Wilder, Fritz Lang, Otto Preminger and so on. 

If you look at the the 30s-50s, it is full of foreign directors who fled Europe to make movies in America. Billy Wilder, Fritz Lang, Otto Preminger and so on. 
I guess I am not well versed on a couple.   Was it mostly just to be able to do movies in general?  Wilder and Preminger mostly did American/English movies, right?  

Users who are viewing this thread