What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Movie Club: We're Getting the Band Back Together: Metallica vs Nina Simone Movie Docs (3 Viewers)

I currently have

• Netflix

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Amazon Prime

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • HBO Max

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Hulu

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Disney+

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Criterion

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • TCM Chanel

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
Nice. I got a hint about one of them. Perhaps I am mistaken.

Awesome write-ups. I couldn't make it through the first fifteen of TLBMISF. I was instantly turned off by the character who kept trespassing. I was like Walking Boot, in a sense, I just never let it play out. Weird. I've always thought the first issue in politics is property. As Bill Buford notes about soccer riots, "the first thing to go....property." Always kept that in mind. I also didn't like the disjointed pacing and that magical realism quality about it. I figured I'd really have not much to add here, either, so I stopped watching. 

This was probably the toughest decision for @KarmaPolice and I. We wanted to do something Oscar related since the Oscars are coming up. However, the Prime and NF options are limited. So what we have decided to do is highlight one of the breakout stars of 2019 movies and a person who might make Oscar history Sunday. One of the more widely celebrated but until this year, widely unknown directors in the world. Get your kush, lighter and grinder because we are about to pack a DOUBLE BONG HIT!

February 2020 Movie Club   due 3/2 

2013- Snowpiercer   A failed climate-change experiment has killed all life except for the lucky few who boarded a train that travels around the globe. Starring Chris Evans, Viola Davis and Tilda Swinton. Directed and written by Bong Joon Ho

Trailer

2018- Okja   A young girl risks everything to prevent a powerful, multinational company from kidnapping her best friend - a fascinating beast named Okja. Starring Paul Dano, Jake Gyllenhaal, Tilda Swinton. Written and directed by Bong Joon Ho. 

Trailer

ETA: In case anyone isn't aware, Bong Joon Ho is a long time Koren writer-director who had a massive International hit in 2019 with Parasite. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Good.  I'll have motivation to plow through Snowpiercer.  Dystopian sci-fi isn't my jam; I started watching it twice but switched over to sports about 20 minutes in.

Nice. I got a hint about one of them. Perhaps I am mistaken.

Awesome write-ups. I couldn't make it through the first fifteen of TLBMISF. I was instantly turned off by the character who kept trespassing. I was like Walking Boot, in a sense, I just never let it play out. Weird. I've always thought the first issue in politics is property. As Bill Buford notes about soccer riots, "the first thing to go....property." Always kept that in mind. I also didn't like the disjointed pacing and that magical realism quality about it. I figured I'd really have not much to add here, either, so I stopped watching. 
The best part of the move IMO is the magical realism that never bends to magical outcomes. Wonderful blurring of reality and parable. I don't think it tells any story about trespassing be right or wrong. There actually aren't many moral lessons in it. The ultimate statement of the movie comes near the end as a couple of wealthy young women who are new to the city begin trashing it and talking of how much they hate San Fran. The protagonist tells her “You don't get to hate San Francisco. You don't get to hate it unless you love it.”  What a message. 

The best part of the move IMO is the magical realism that never bends to magical outcomes. Wondeful blurring of reality and parable. I don't think it tells any story about trespassing be right or wrong. There actually aren't many moral lessons in it. The ultimate statement of the movie comes near the end as a couple of wealthy young women who are new to the city being trashing it and talking of how much they hate San Fran. The protagonist tells her “You don't get to hate San Francisco. You don't get to hate it unless you love it.”  What a message. 
I wasn't worried about what they thought about trespassing, just notably, that he was. But that is a nice ending. Only those who hold a thing dear can see fit to criticize and be broken-hearted about.

I wasn't worried about what they thought about trespassing, just notably, that he was. But that is a nice ending. Only those who hold a thing dear can see fit to criticize and be broken-hearted about.
Hmmm...some of the movies I love the most have some of the characters and acts that I find most despicable and distasteful. Seeing actions I dislike in art never turned me off from the art but to each their own. I am glad we agree on the the moral lesson of the relationship of love and hate. 

Ilov80s said:
2013- Snowpiercer    In a future where a failed climate-change experiment has killed all life except for the lucky few who boarded the Snowpiercer, a train that travels around the globe, a new class system emerges.
Imagine you're a Hollywood producer, and someone pitches that to you. Would you actually greenlight something like that? 

Too much Tilda?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fair point, and I can only imagine how 'out there' other foreign movie premises are, but then how did he snag high-profile actors like Evans and Swinton?
My assumption is his reputation. Before he did these 2 mostly English movies, I think Bong Joon Ho was a really acclaimed filmmaker among South Koreans and those Americans deep in the movie know. That's just my understanding of it- Parasite was my introduction to him and I haven't seen either of these movies. 

Ilov80s said:
rockaction said:
Hmmm...some of the movies I love the most have some of the characters and acts that I find most despicable and distasteful. Seeing actions I dislike in art never turned me off from the art but to each their own. I am glad we agree on the the moral lesson of the relationship of love and hate. 
I think you have to accept the victimless trespassing as one of the fabulist elements of Last Black Man.  The script needs to stay close to the house almost as much as Jimmy does. 

It doesn't work nearly as well if the house is abandoned.  The exposition in those few scenes with the old couple is replaceable but they establish Jimmy's character in a way that a straightforward squat would not.

I think you have to accept the victimless trespassing as one of the fabulist elements of Last Black Man.  The script needs to stay close to the house almost as much as Jimmy does. 

GIt doesn't work nearly as well if the house is abandoned.  The exposition in those few scenes with the old couple is replaceable but they establish Jimmy's character in a way that a straightforward squat would not.
Great points and his interaction with the owners/former owners is essential to the movie. He turns out not to be the only one who comes back to house after they have lost the house.  In the end, the real trespasser seems to be the real estate agent...but at least he was born in San Fran, right?

Great points and his interaction with the owners/former owners is essential to the movie. He turns out not to be the only one who comes back to house. after they have lost the house.  In the end, the real trespasser seems to be the real estate agent...but at least he was born in San Fran, right?
The line where the realtor said he went to high school at St. Ignatius got a big laugh in the theater when we saw it here. 

The character's name was Clayton Newsom in a reference to former mayor and current governor Gavin Newsom.

haven't caught LBMISF yet ... but i think i'm much more likely to defer to both Boot's and RA's impressions, given all i've read thus far ... dunno, it may surprise me, and i am curious to dive into it's aesthetic beauty, if nothing else.

AF blew me away. 

i didn't want it to end, and felt like rebooting the second it finished  ... what a wonderful flow to that flick - the pacing was crisp, and the urgency was never lacking. 

but what really impressed me was the even handed treatment ... guess i expected a much more ham fisted pro-union screed to weave it's way through, so i was really appreciative of the balance. 

Wong and the Harley dude should get a reality show - their relationship was the only bicultural one that clicked, and we barely scratched the surface ... was really touched by both of them. 

dear Chairman was given a very reasonable flesh out ... the part towards the end, where he's reminiscing about being poor, and feeling he was happier then ... and having misgivings about his billion dollar endeavors possibly doing more harm than good ... as he strolls through his palace-like halls ... pretty surreal stuff. 

but what most stuck out was how post racial the workers were when confronted with a common "enemy" ... black and white melded into gray when confronted by Red (China).

don't think i would've seen this without the thread bringing it to my attention ... was very glad to have had the experience, so, thanks y'all!

Same. Feared it'd be some kind of Michael Moore propaganda, ended up actually being reasonable and fair. Don't see that much in the documentary world.
I’m a bit curious to see the “prequel” of American Factory by the same team — “The Last Truck: The Closing of a GM Plant.” It involves the same factory.

It looks like it is available on HBO Go. It seems like a similar setup as Roger & Me, but I expect a bit more even-handed.

Don't see that much in the documentary world.
I am curious about this part though.  I honestly cant think of many docs I've seen where I thought they were heavy handed or propaganda.   Maybe I avoid them or maybe because of my leanings I don't view them as such.  

I am curious about this part though.  I honestly cant think of many docs I've seen where I thought they were heavy handed or propaganda.   Maybe I avoid them or maybe because of my leanings I don't view them as such.  
They lean left. There's almost no doubt. It's like an evenhanded Soc/Anthro 101 course sometimes.

not leaning right is decidedly not leaning left. it is due north for creativity & storytelling. such a tired angle, esp since y'all started the phenomenon
We'll have to agree to really disagree on this. Michael Moore and his acolytes and his influence on the uptick of documentaries certainly came from the left and made no apologies about it.

We'll have to agree to really disagree on this. Michael Moore and his acolytes and his influence on the uptick of documentaries certainly came from the left and made no apologies about it.
Michael Moore is a polemicist. That he makes films is incidental.

Being interested enough in the human dilemma to spotlight it on film does not make one a leftist, merely baseline human. Yours is the artifice.

Michael Moore is a polemicist. 

Being interested enough in the human dilemma to spotlight it on film does not make one a leftist, merely baseline human. Yours is the artifice.
If you can't see the politics in the framework or the focus, then that's on you. Not much more I can say about it. 

If you can't see the politics in the framework or the focus, then that's on you. Not much more I can say about it. 
because there's nothing to say. i worked with significant practitioners of reportage and documentation and they invariably saw truth as their only master. that artificial viewpoints were not served is the bugaboo of the right.

because there's nothing to say. i worked with significant practitioners of reportage and documentation and they invariably saw truth as their only master. that artificial viewpoints were not served is the bugaboo of the right.
And denying implicit bias in the structural element of it all is the bugaboo of the left. Another day. 

They lean left. There's almost no doubt. It's like an evenhanded Soc/Anthro 101 course sometimes.
Could you provide some examples besides Mr. Moore?  Like I said, I am having trouble thinking of any.  

Also, I guess IMO "lean left" is not quite what Boot was talking about.  Propaganda is a pretty strong word he used.  

aside from say, Morgan Spurlock, who would you say is an "acolyte" of Moore's? Also, where is the "uptick" you mention here? 

This seems like a low rent variation on the tired old complaint about the liberal media except instead of being parts of giant corporations, the subject is a filmmaker trying to get a passion project funded and distributed. 

I'm normally not a fan of both sides arguments but it holds true in this case.  Using the broadest definition of documentary film, there are hundreds of them on Amazon and tens of thousands on YouTube expressing every point of view on the spectrum.  Some make more of effort to appear objective but all art is subjective (using the broadest definition of art).

This seems like a low rent variation on the tired old complaint about the liberal media except instead of being parts of giant corporations, the subject is a filmmaker trying to get a passion project funded and distributed. 

I'm normally not a fan of both sides arguments but it holds true in this case.  Using the broadest definition of documentary film, there are hundreds of them on Amazon and tens of thousands on YouTube expressing every point of view on the spectrum.  Some make more of effort to appear objective but all art is subjective (using the broadest definition of art).
I am guessing that that counter would be that it's not all of the POVs that get the accolades and the box office numbers (what little of this there is - I can't imagine more than a couple make any huge dent at the box office), it's just the one side.  I haven't sat down and really look at the historical Oscar nominees.  Dunno, but this discussion is interesting.  

LOL.  I just looked and I don't know about political side, but it probably says something about us that the Jackass boys have 3 of the top movies on the all time domestic list for docs.  

I am guessing that that counter would be that it's not all of the POVs that get the accolades and the box office numbers (what little of this there is - I can't imagine more than a couple make any huge dent at the box office), it's just the one side.  I haven't sat down and really look at the historical Oscar nominees.  Dunno, but this discussion is interesting.  
The biggest box office success for a documentary that I can think of recently was a restoration of WW1 footage paying tribute to the veterans of the war. 

The biggest box office success for a documentary that I can think of recently was a restoration of WW1 footage paying tribute to the veterans of the war. 
Top of the list was Michael Jackson - This is It.  

Here is the list of the Oscar winners of the decade:

Free Solo, Icarus, OJ:  Made in America, Amy, Citizenfour, 20 Feet From Stardom, Searching for Sugar Man, Undefeated, Inside Job

Top of the list was Michael Jackson - This is It.  

Here is the list of the Oscar winners of the decade:

Free Solo, Icarus, OJ:  Made in America, Amy, Citizenfour, 20 Feet From Stardom, Searching for Sugar Man, Undefeated, Inside Job
I always forget about the concert movies. I am sure Bieber and a bunch of other pop stars have some of the highest grossing docs ever. The top 10 grossing 2019 docs were about Apollo 11, WW1, Penguins, rock climbing, BTS, Pavarotti, Aretha Franklin, farmers, Linda Ronstadt and the 60s Laurel Canyon music scene. 

Users who are viewing this thread