What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Movie Club: We're Getting the Band Back Together: Metallica vs Nina Simone Movie Docs (2 Viewers)

I currently have

• Netflix

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Amazon Prime

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • HBO Max

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Hulu

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Disney+

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Criterion

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • TCM Chanel

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
As you would know, this drove me absolutely insane.  There was a part in Act 4 with the same completely unnecessary voiceover.
Was coming in here to post this. I asked myself wtf is this? Narration for dumb people who can’t follow along? I feel like it detracted from the suspense.

Was coming in here to post this. I asked myself wtf is this? Narration for dumb people who can’t follow along? I feel like it detracted from the suspense.
Seemed very 1950s- the studio demanded narration be added because the audience isn’t smart enough. 

I didn't hate H8 when I saw it I just didn't like it and felt it was a long form masturbation writ large for QT.  It is getting to be painful to watch it again.  Like, I can't do it for more than a few minutes because I know where everything is going and the "great dialogue" just isn't to me.  

I could watch M7 over and over still to this day.  It's just a great picture into the movie industry of the time, what made leading men in the time.... and it's fun.  I think that is the problem with H8; it's not fun.  Kill Bill was fun in many parts.  Pulp and RD were non stop awesome for me.  Most of his movies are fun or at least just great interactions with the characters that I just don't feel here, and I know on some level that isn't fair because this was a really good cast.

There is just too much QT and not enough movie if that makes sense.  I don't know.  If I have to watch this movie until the end I'm going to end up hating it almost as much as Castaway.

I didn't hate H8 when I saw it I just didn't like it and felt it was a long form masturbation writ large for QT.  It is getting to be painful to watch it again.  Like, I can't do it for more than a few minutes because I know where everything is going and the "great dialogue" just isn't to me.  

I could watch M7 over and over still to this day.  It's just a great picture into the movie industry of the time, what made leading men in the time.... and it's fun.  I think that is the problem with H8; it's not fun.  Kill Bill was fun in many parts.  Pulp and RD were non stop awesome for me.  Most of his movies are fun or at least just great interactions with the characters that I just don't feel here, and I know on some level that isn't fair because this was a really good cast.

There is just too much QT and not enough movie if that makes sense.  I don't know.  If I have to watch this movie until the end I'm going to end up hating it almost as much as Castaway.
You just couldn't help yourself, could ya? 👊

Will it always be a double-feature? Some months that may be tougher than others.
That’s probably the plan. We assume for a multitude of reasons that some months won’t work for some people. Even if they can watch one of the movies, it still could be fun to participate. More movies gives people more options and makes the conversation more interesting. 

That’s probably the plan. We assume for a multitude of reasons that some months won’t work for some people. Even if they can watch one of the movies, it still could be fun to participate. More movies gives people more options and makes the conversation more interesting. 
All this, plus I am guessing a majority of time people will probably have seen one of the movies before anyway.  

All this, plus I am guessing a majority of time people will probably have seen one of the movies before anyway.  
Yes and some will rewatch but many won't. I wasn't sure at first, but now I agree with you that the double feature is the ideal approach. 

Ok, I have always been a "last minute" kinda guy on my assignments. 

I am going to do the Netflix extended H8 today/tonight. M7 will follow. 

I will have it all fresh and ready in me head fer Monday. 

So @Ilov80s - do you deduct for last minute cramming over proper preparation? 

What was the best performance between the films? Who was your favorite chartacter? 
I'd rate Jennifer Jason Leigh's performance as the best of both movies.  She's such a chameleon and can handle the broadest range of roles, and she brought it all to bear in H8. 

My favorite character, on the other hand, probably would be Robert Vaughn's in M7, though he didn't do much in the role, if that makes sense.  I think I understand what they were going for with the character and that's why Vaughn was cast; however, I think another actor around his age, Dennis Hopper, probably would have stolen the show if he had been cast in that role.

The pairing of these movies created a dichotomy for me; I preferred everything about M7 over H8 except the acting, where I would give the H8 cast a collective edge with regards to performing their roles, though I appreciate what the M7 actors brought to theirs, especially Coburn. Too bad he wasn't in his prime when they made The Terminator. Even though that role didn't require a lot of range, I think Coburn more menacing and scary than Arnold was.

What was the best performance between the films? Who was your favorite chartacter? 
For M7 I would say the entire cast other then Robert Vaughn. I'm not sure it is Vaughn's fault, it may have been the director or the writing. I kept waiting for some big reveal due to the way he was always acting so mysterious but nothing really happened. The standouts for me were Bronson and Coburn.  While I think Brynner and McQueen were excellent I also feel they were doing Brynner and McQueen. Not much of an acting reach but it was good. They are like AC/DC, we know all the tunes are going to be the same but those tunes are awesome.

For Hateful 8 I would say Jennifer Jason Leigh and Kurt Russell. The rest of the cast in my opinion was passable but nothing to get excited about. I was most disappointed in Goggins. I really like him as an actor and I felt like he missed an opportunity here. I cant really put my finger on it but there ws something missing from his performance. Could be there was to much to his performance. I may have liked it better if his character was a little more understated. Zoe Bell who payed six horse Judy was abysmal and should have been cut from the film. 

I'd rate Jennifer Jason Leigh's performance as the best of both movies.  She's such a chameleon and can handle the broadest range of roles, and she brought it all to bear in H8. 

My favorite character, on the other hand, probably would be Robert Vaughn's in M7, though he didn't do much in the role, if that makes sense.  I think I understand what they were going for with the character and that's why Vaughn was cast; however, I think another actor around his age, Dennis Hopper, probably would have stolen the show if he had been cast in that role.

The pairing of these movies created a dichotomy for me; I preferred everything about M7 over H8 except the acting, where I would give the H8 cast a collective edge with regards to performing their roles, though I appreciate what the M7 actors brought to theirs, especially Coburn. Too bad he wasn't in his prime when they made The Terminator. Even though that role didn't require a lot of range, I think Coburn more menacing and scary than Arnold was.
Interesting that your view of Vaughn was so much different than mine.

To me, it seems like Vaughn’s character development may have been a casualty of editing, but I can’t confirm that. They were going somewhere with him and then it just fizzled out.

Score of H8 blew away score of M7.*

*I haven't watched M7 and probably won't.  But that H8 score was the highlight of the movie.
I liked the H8 score, but I thought QT did not use it right.  It felt a bit under-used to me, and some of QT's other music choices seemed to detract from it.  It felt like he was having trouble picking a lane.

Funny.  I was going to say almost the same exact thing.  They didn't give him much screen time but RV did a very good job with what he had available to him. 

Agree with JJL as best performance.

In reading the Wiki on the movie, I learned (hopefully not a spoiler, but more of an Easter egg) that Kurt Russell's character was not supposed to smash the guitar that he smashed, as it was an antique guitar on loan from a museum.  JJL gives an off-camera look when she screams "whoa, whoa, whoa" (like she was trying to get QT to cut), so you can tell that was not supposed to happen. I guess it was good to get a genuine reaction movie-wise; feel bad for losing that piece of history though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with JJL as best performance.

In reading the Wiki on the movie, I learned (hopefully not a spoiler, but more of an Easter egg) that Kurt Russell's character was not supposed to smash the guitar that he smashed, as it was an antique guitar on loan from a museum.  JJL gives an off-camera look when she screams "no, no, no", so you can tell that was not supposed to happen. I guess it was good to get a genuine reaction movie-wise; feel bad for losing that piece of history though.
Yeah supposedly QT didn’t know about it and Kurt Russell was never told that it was an antique guitar that needed to be switched out for a prop guitar. I find that hard to believe. 

Yeah supposedly QT didn’t know about it and Kurt Russell was never told that it was an antique guitar that needed to be switched out for a prop guitar. I find that hard to believe. 
I could see Russell being out of the loop, but I find Tarantino particularly hard to believe, as he had to have been involved in securing the loan.  And he had to know when to cut. I was reading an article about QT snickering about it after it happened, which makes it hard to seem like a mistake.

I could see Russell being out of the loop, but I find Tarantino particularly hard to believe, as he had to have been involved in securing the loan.  And he had to know when to cut. I was reading an article about QT snickering about it after it happened, which makes it hard to seem like a mistake.
Exactly. I can’t stand him. 

Interesting that your view of Vaughn was so much different than mine.

Funny.  I was going to say almost the same exact thing.  They didn't give him much screen time but RV did a very good job with what he had available to him. 
Perhaps I'm reading the character wrong.

To me, it seems like Vaughn’s character development may have been a casualty of editing, but I can’t confirm that. They were going somewhere with him and then it just fizzled out.
I guess this really hinges on whether or not I understood exactly what his character was supposed to be. If it was supposed to go in the direction I'm assuming, I didn't see enough of it, neither from the actor nor exposition in the story. That's why I thought of Dennis Hopper, as he seemed more able to do more with less.  TBH, I'm not very familiar with Robert Vaugh's resume, so perhaps the audience would have recognized better what he was doing.

Perhaps I'm reading the character wrong.

I guess this really hinges on whether or not I understood exactly what his character was supposed to be. If it was supposed to go in the direction I'm assuming, I didn't see enough of it, neither from the actor nor exposition in the story. That's why I thought of Dennis Hopper, as he seemed more able to do more with less.  TBH, I'm not very familiar with Robert Vaugh's resume, so perhaps the audience would have recognized better what he was doing.
I think this was one of his first movie roles so audiences wouldn’t have been too familiar with him.

OK.  I made it through Hateful Eight.  If it wasn't for this board and peer pressure, I probably would have tapped out after Chapter 3. 

My main problem was with the pacing.  Every scene lasted longer than it needed to.  Someone like Howard Hawks could have shot a half hour TV show out of the script.  I can't imagine the extended version.

I don't dislike Tarantino.  I'll probably see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood on opening week.  I appreciate his compulsion to entertain the audience and the latitude he provides for actors.   But like most manics, he's prone to excess and Hateful Eight is too much.

Maybe I'll like it better in the morning.

OK.  I made it through Hateful Eight.  If it wasn't for this board and peer pressure, I probably would have tapped out after Chapter 3. 

My main problem was with the pacing.  Every scene lasted longer than it needed to.  Someone like Howard Hawks could have shot a half hour TV show out of the script.  I can't imagine the extended version.

I don't dislike Tarantino.  I'll probably see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood on opening week.  I appreciate his compulsion to entertain the audience and the latitude he provides for actors.   But like most manics, he's prone to excess and Hateful Eight is too much.

You won't. 

I liked both movies, but preferred M7 by a significant margin. 

To begin, I see similarities in the major themes of frontier justice and race. I see differences in how they are handled, which is not surprising considering 1960 vs. 2018.

I don't have time to go deeper now, but I wanted to get the ball rolling. I will add details later. 

On the whole, I am very glad that I watched both; nice start for the Club. 

I liked both movies, but preferred M7 by a significant margin. 

To begin, I see similarities in the major themes of frontier justice and race. I see differences in how they are handled, which is not surprising considering 1960 vs. 2018.

I don't have time to go deeper now, but I wanted to get the ball rolling. I will add details later. 

On the whole, I am very glad that I watched both; nice start for the Club. 
Good thoughts on the themes there. Were they both new to you?

Good thoughts on the themes there. Were they both new to you?
Thnx.

I had seen M7 years ago and had forgotten most all of it. So, it felt like a new movie to me. I was really surprised by this. I think that my relatively recent watching of Seven Samurai confused me a bit; as I overlapped the two in my mind.

H8 was new; I watched the extended version. I am not a fan of most QT films, but I did like this. Narration (as mentioned earlier) and over the top gore (e.g. head exploding from 2 bullets) did make me laugh ... in a not-good-way. But otherwise, most of the other QT-isms I hate were relatively mild, imo.

This quote from Eep:

... I do think is accurate, but as a manic myself, this is part of his act I don't mind too much. I turned off Kill Bill mid movie and never tried KB 2 - so, this is still a tricky edge for me - but H8 worked with my tastes mostly.

So besides the random narration which we all seem to agree we hated, what did people think of the Channing Tatum twist in H8?

Users who are viewing this thread