What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Movie Club: We're Getting the Band Back Together: Metallica vs Nina Simone Movie Docs (2 Viewers)

I currently have

• Netflix

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Amazon Prime

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • HBO Max

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Hulu

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Disney+

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Criterion

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • TCM Chanel

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

Ilov80s

Footballguy
Movie Club! We watch 1 or 2 movies a month, discuss them, analyze them, talk, drink, etc. Each month will have a double feature of 2 movies with some kind of connection. There will be a due date posted to indicate when we can spoiler talk about the movies. Feel free to participate as available. 

Keep track of the movies, reviews and ratings so far in the FBG Movie Club Picture Book---> Here

November 2021: What Happened, Miss SImone? (2015) vs Some Kind of Monster (2004) due 11/29 ----> Movie Discussion Starts Here

October 2020: Peeping Tom (1960) vs Nightcrawler (2104) due 11/2 ---> Movie Discussion Starts Here

July 2020: Death Rides a Horse (1967) vs A Fistful of Dynamite aka Duck, You Sucker (1971) due 8/10 ---> Movie Discussion Starts Here

June 2020: 13th (2016) vs Just Mercy (2019) due 7/13 —> Movie discussion starts here

Memorial Day Bonus 2020: Stalag 17 (1953) vs. The Great Escape (1963)  due 6/15 ---> Movie Discussion Starts Here 

May 2020: Jerry Maguire (1995) vs High Flying Bird (2019) due 5/18 ---> Movie Discussion Starts Here

April 2020: Lethal Weapon (1987) vs Bad Boys (1995) due 4/27 ——> Movie discussion starts here

March 2020: Wendy and Lucy (2008) vs Leave No Trace (2018) due  4/6 ----> movie discussion starts here

February 2020: Snowpiercer (2013) vs Okja (2017)  due 3/2 ----> movie discussion starts here

January 2020: The Last Black Man in San Francisco (2019) vs. American Factory (2019) due 2/3 ---> movie discussion starts here

December 2019: The Apartment (1960) vs. Monty Python's Life of Brian (1979) due 1/6---> movie discussion starts here

November 2019: The Killing (1956) vs. A Simple Plan (1998)  due 12/2 ---> movie discussion starts here 

October 2019: Carrie (1976) vs Let the Right One In (2008)  due 11/4 ---> movie discussion starts here

September 2019: The Sweet Hereafter (1997) vs Ordinary People (1980) due 10/7 --->  movie discussion starts here

August 2019: In the Heat of the Night (1967) vs. Bonnie and Clyde (1967)  due September 9 ---> movie discussion starts here

July 2019:  The Conversation (1974) vs. The Lives of Others (2006) due August 12  --> movie discussions starts here

June 2019: The Magnificent Seven (1960)  vs The Hateful 8 (2015) due July 15--> movie discussion starts here

Last edited by a moderator:
I have access to Netflix, Amazon, and HBO. I'm not opposed to watching or re-watching popcorn movies, but it'd be fun to review some serious cinema since we're figuring out what this will be. The question is how will we nominate? The AFI top 100? A rotation of user picks?

I have access to Netflix, Amazon, and HBO. I'm not opposed to watching or re-watching popcorn movies, but it'd be fun to review some serious cinema since we're figuring out what this will be. The question is how will we nominate? The AFI top 100? A rotation of user picks?
That I am not sure. We certainly could rotate members choice, have nominees and let us vote, have some kind of theme set-up so the movies have a relationship to something relevant. 

No TCM- I assume don't have cable?  

Voted.

1. I am interested
  2. I selected all but "00's - Present". I will watch recent movies for the club tho.
  3. Netflix, TCM, HBO, Showtime (All via streaming only.)
  4. 2 movies a month
I am good for anything in reality. 

Love me some movies

I just watched Miami vice.   2006.  Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx.   I never saw it before.   Absolutely terrible and am glad I never watched it previously 

I'm interested, but have been completely slammed at work for a couple months (with another month more of slammedness at least)... so, hard to think straight.

we have HBO (for now), Amazon and Netflix. 

I'm down for any/all eras. 

I voted 1/month, mostly because I'm slammed and because I'll probably have to watch these late at night after the wife goes to bed. 

I'm in, and up for most everything.

I wouldn't mind some of the longer (3+ hour) epic movies that I keep pushing off.  It may take me a few nights to watch, but some group discussion would commit me to it.

Like I posted in the other thread- I kinda like the idea of a double feature that is tied in somehow - whether its something simple like same director, genre, year, actor, or getting more creative.  

Like I posted in the other thread- I kinda like the idea of a double feature that is tied in somehow - whether its something simple like same director, genre, year, actor, or getting more creative.  
Toughest part will be just finding movies that meet some dual criteria and are available for everyone that month.

Toughest part will be just finding movies that meet some dual criteria and are available for everyone that month.
Honestly, it's going to be tough to find good options if we are mostly doing streaming.  Most of the services absolutely blow for movies pre-1985.  

Honestly, it's going to be tough to find good options if we are mostly doing streaming.  Most of the services absolutely blow for movies pre-1985.  
Yeah but Netflix seems to switch the older movies up a bit. Amazon Prime has an interesting collection. The best is obviously just TCM, but maybe we have chord cutters who don’t have it?

One way to nominate: each person has one decade per film. So you get to nominate one film from the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, etc.

Yeah but Netflix seems to switch the older movies up a bit. Amazon Prime has an interesting collection. The best is obviously just TCM, but maybe we have chord cutters who don’t have it?
I dont have TCM, but assume I can get just about anything through the library system.  

I am a cord cutter, but I cheat. I use my 80 and 84 yo parents cable account to stream at my house. They don;t even know how to stream, so I am not really increasing the bandwidth.

I never advocate for cheating, but options are available at present to those who have cut the cord.

I am a cord cutter, but I cheat. I use my 80 and 84 yo parents cable account to stream at my house. They don;t even know how to stream, so I am not really increasing the bandwidth.

I never advocate for cheating, but options are available at present to those who have cut the cord.
Lots of these are built for sharing as you can often have up to 6 log-ins at a time. My friends and I share services. We have Hulu, someone else has Netflix and another couple has HBO. We all share accounts. 

Lots of these are built for sharing as you can often have up to 6 log-ins at a time. My friends and I share services. We have Hulu, someone else has Netflix and another couple has HBO. We all share accounts. 
Yeah, the last I read on this, I came away thinking that if the services really wanted to prevent this, it would be pretty easy.

I have no idea if that is true, but I do know they don't seem too concerned at present.

Not trying to be a ####, but I am honestly curious since I seem to have little luck finding stuff on Netflix/AP/Hulu to watch movie-wise : what are ilov80s and others finding on those services to watch? 

Off the top of my head, I think I have Network, African Queen? Not many in my queue i would consider movie club-worthy.  

Not trying to be a ####, but I am honestly curious since I seem to have little luck finding stuff on Netflix/AP/Hulu to watch movie-wise : what are ilov80s and others finding on those services to watch? 

Off the top of my head, I think I have Network, African Queen? Not many in my queue i would consider movie club-worthy.  

I just pulled up my Netflix - on page one (I hate the way Netflix organizes)

Lincoln, The King's Speech, The Imitation Game, No Country For Old Men, Clockwork Orange, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, All The President's Men, Gran Torino, ...

That is just the one "line" I scrolled through. Are these "club level"?

Just looking at Netflix for older movies

On Amazon, I am watching "

This is what is pre-80s and streaming on Netflix now: 
All the Presidents Men,  Monty Python movies, The Third Man, Bonnie and Clyde, Deliverance, Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe,  The Graduate, Network, Apocalypse Now, Cool Hand Luke, Clockwork Orange

I just pulled up my Netflix - on page one (I hate the way Netflix organizes)

Lincoln, The King's Speech, The Imitation Game, No Country For Old Men, Clockwork Orange, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, All The President's Men, Gran Torino, ...

That is just the one "line" I scrolled through. Are these "club level"?
Absolutely club worthy IMO. 

I am guessing when loading my queues, I am mostly skipping stuff I've seen which is all but 2 from those two lists.  Not that I am against rewatches and discussing those.  

I would say those are "club worthy", but not digging too deep.   Maybe I'm wrong, but figure most in here have seen the likes of Monty Python, Apocalypse Now, NCFOM, etc. 

How about Castle Keep with Burt Lancaster? It’s kind of a weird movie.
Actually I am watching a super weird Burt Lancaster movie right now- The Swimmer. It's based on the John Cheever short story and it's way out there. A shirtless Burt Lancaster just goes sneaking around his wealthy neighborhood swimming in people's backyards and getting into weird encounters with his neighbors. 

Users who are viewing this thread