What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Movie Club: We're Getting the Band Back Together: Metallica vs Nina Simone Movie Docs (5 Viewers)

I currently have

• Netflix

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Amazon Prime

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • HBO Max

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Hulu

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Disney+

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Criterion

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • TCM Chanel

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
I haven't seen the movie but I've watched foreign films on NF before and don't ever remember that
I've seen other foreign films on Netflix too and it's not in all of them, but it's in some, so it's probably a part of this film and not a Netflix thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah. Netflix has displayed some weird subtitles for me. I once had an instance when the last subtitle listed would never disappear ... so, when the piece returned to English after a brief translation need, I kept seeing the words spoken ... 30 minutes later. I finally discovered that by moving my cursor, the text would disappear.

It's not the same, but just goes to show ...

Trying to watch The Lives of Others now.  The way the subtitles are handled is very annoying.  When an alarm was going off, it would say "(alarm ringing)" in subtitles.  Doorbell, "(doorbell ringing)".  When they picked a lock with an electric tool and it whirred, subtitles said "(whirring)".  Song playing on the radio and it said "(song playing on radio)" in subtitles.  I tried to turn it off, but it's either all subtitles or no subtitles.  WTF?
i've had a similar trouble the last couple of weeks on Netflix. It wasnt showing subtitles on English language docs which had foreign speakers. i'd have to punch up "subtitles" in order to see them and then i'd get the closed captioning you're talking about. pita -

Despite the problems with including closed captioning with the subtitles with no option to turn it off, this was a good movie.  I won't go into specifics until 8/12.

ETA - movies like this is one of the reasons I was interested in the FBG movie club.  I probably never would have heard of The Lives of Others if not for this.

Despite the problems with including closed captioning with the subtitles with no option to turn it off, this was a good movie.  I won't go into specifics until 8/12.

ETA - movies like this is one of the reasons I was interested in the FBG movie club.  I probably never would have heard of The Lives of Others if not for this.
("whirring")

I’m excited to see it as well. I hadn’t heard of it until Karma mentioned it for this thread. Out of curiosity, how familiar are you with pre-70s movies? Have you seen a lot? Not many? I’m just tying to get an idea of what kind of movies people want to see,  what people have/haven’t seen, etc.

Lives of Others is on NF, The Conversation is on Prime. I believe Wikkid has a doozy of a critique coming for The Conversation- that is worth coming back for if nothing else. 
just a differnt take is all. it might not be about what you think it's about

I’m excited to see it as well. I hadn’t heard of it until Karma mentioned it for this thread. Out of curiosity, how familiar are you with pre-70s movies? Have you seen a lot? Not many? I’m just tying to get an idea of what kind of movies people want to see,  what people have/haven’t seen, etc.
I've seen a few pre-70s movies, but not a lot, and for the most part haven't liked them.  The Thomas Crown Affair (original one) was one of the few pre-70s movies I liked.

I've seen a few pre-70s movies, but not a lot, and for the most part haven't liked them.  The Thomas Crown Affair (original one) was one of the few pre-70s movies I liked.

Nice- haven't seen that once. Off hand, what were some of the ones you saw with some hopes and were disappointed with? 

Even though this question was not directed at me, I will answer it. I think I have seen quite a few pre 70s movies and for the most part liked them. In the 70s we only got three channels. One of them would feature an actor and show his movies all week. I remember a lot of John Wayne and Humphrey Bogart. There were others mixed in but those are the ones that immediately come to mind. This is about the same time I was indoctrinated into Clint Eastwood westerns. Anyway that is how I saw many pre 70s movies.

* I also watched a lot of Creature Feature which was all of the old horror movies. That was good stuff. A local independent theater is showing Creature from the Black Lagoon on the big screen. Thinking of catching that. I remember really liking it as a kid.

Nice- haven't seen that once. Off hand, what were some of the ones you saw with some hopes and were disappointed with? 
The Magnificent 7 was one of them.  I knew it was popular when I first watched it, and I like Westerns for the most part, but it's indicative of why I generally don't like old movies - different style that I don't really relate to.  Another was 2001: A Space Odyssey.  I found it slow, but it's been a while since I last saw it so I'm willing to give it another chance.  However, there are some I did like such as Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and the original Italian Job.  I liked the James Bond movies from before 1970, but I'll take Daniel Craig's James Bond movies over any of them. 

Interestingly, there seems to have been a bit of a change after 1970, although I can't say what it was specifically, but I liked a bunch of movies from the 1970s such as The French Connection (both of them) and The Day of the Jackal.  I'm not sure if it's available on the streaming services, but I think The Day of the Jackal will be popular with this crowd.  That was one of my favorite movies.

The Magnificent 7 was one of them.  I knew it was popular when I first watched it, and I like Westerns for the most part, but it's indicative of why I generally don't like old movies - different style that I don't really relate to.  Another was 2001: A Space Odyssey.  I found it slow, but it's been a while since I last saw it so I'm willing to give it another chance.  However, there are some I did like such as Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and the original Italian Job.  I liked the James Bond movies from before 1970, but I'll take Daniel Craig's James Bond movies over any of them. 

Interestingly, there seems to have been a bit of a change after 1970, although I can't say what it was specifically, but I liked a bunch of movies from the 1970s such as The French Connection (both of them) and The Day of the Jackal.  I'm not sure if it's available on the streaming services, but I think The Day of the Jackal will be popular with this crowd.  That was one of my favorite movies.
Thanks for the response. I think you might enjoy what I’m thinking about for August then.

One of the goals of the movie club is to introduce people to great movies they might not have seen before. That includes foreign films like this month, small indie films and older classics.Chances are if we pull up older movies, you have seen them. Hopefully we can find some indie movies or foreign ones that are new to you. I want it to be accessible for everyone so being on NF or Prime are my first requirements at this point. We also want to be really careful about what we pick because I know many people might be big fans of foreign movies or older movies so it’s important to do a good job curating the list.

One of the goals of the movie club is to introduce people to great movies they might not have seen before. That includes foreign films like this month, small indie films and older classics.Chances are if we pull up older movies, you have seen them. Hopefully we can find some indie movies or foreign ones that are new to you. I want it to be accessible for everyone so being on NF or Prime are my first requirements at this point. We also want to be really careful about what we pick because I know many people might be big fans of foreign movies or older movies so it’s important to do a good job curating the list.
One big problem with pre-70s movies is that very few are streaming on Netflix and Amazon.   According to Instantwatcher, Netflix currently only has 29 pre-1970 movies available.   The Third Man, The Graduate, Strangers on a Train and Bonnie & Clyde have film club potential.

One big problem with pre-70s movies is that very few are streaming on Netflix and Amazon.   According to Instantwatcher, Netflix currently only has 29 pre-1970 movies available.   The Third Man, The Graduate, Strangers on a Train and Bonnie & Clyde have film club potential.
Oh I know it’s limited but they do rotate them so every other month or so we should be able to find 1 or 2. The tougher part is getting to lesser known older movies. That’s probably not going to happen but based on my feeling, many of those participating here likely have missed some of the big classics of the studio system era so covering films like The Third Man is probably a good use of the club.

Not sure how many foreign language films I've seen. Probably under 50. Thinking  This 1974 film was the first one. It is very good. Never saw The Lives of Others and am going to watch it tonight. Have seen The Conversation but plan on watching it again soon. 

Some movies are worth watching several times

A couple older films I love many here probably haven't seen are the first 2 Burt Lancaster movies. 

1946 - The Killers
1947 - Brute Force   (prison movie)

Not sure how many foreign language films I've seen. Probably under 50. Thinking  This 1974 film was the first one. It is very good. Never saw The Lives of Others and am going to watch it tonight. Have seen The Conversation but plan on watching it again soon. 

Some movies are worth watching several times
Yep and even movies like The Conversation, it’s possible many haven’t seen it in 30+years 

A couple older films many here probably haven't seen are the first 2 Burt Lancaster movies. 

1946 - The Killers
1947 - Brute Force   (prison movie)
 I would be on the train for taking a dive into a Burt Lancaster movie pool- would be a sweet success for the movie club.
I see what you did there.

The 1964 version of The Killers is a hoot.  It features prime Lee Marvin looking for revenge and Ronald Reagan as the heavy.

I see what you did there.

The 1964 version of The Killers is a hoot.  It features prime Lee Marvin looking for revenge and Ronald Reagan as the heavy.
Yeah, I got both - Criterion. It's great set. That was Reagan's last movie. He hated playing the bad guy
I think I got Marvin's character in Point Blank mixed up with The Killers.  John Cassavetes is the guy with the vengeance motive in the latter movie.

Been watching Invasion of the Body Snatchers the past hour
I have a very fond memory of that flick. My first job in Albq in the late 70s was at a detox center that the county had just opened in one of the old TB hospitals littering the road out of downtown. It was the kind of job i liked in the mental health field - graveyard shift (which gave me a choice of how to use my day) and a climate of either crisis or quiet, little inbetween. None of the three ward staff - me & two nurses - really had their graveyard legs yet, but we had done a good job of keeping each other awake.

Second or third week in, i had seen in the TV listings that Body Snatchers was going to be on @ 2am on a worknight. I excitedly told the nurses about it and, though we'd never watched TV during our shift, neither of them saw the harm in checkin' out this classic if things were quiet. This was also pretty much before cable & VCRs, so a good flick on TV was an event, so i wheeled the TV in from the patient lounge, i think we actually made popcorn.

Thing is, a big part of the premise of IotBS is that, if you fall asleep, you could wake up a podperson and the last half of the movie is pretty much sleep-deprived Kevin McCarthy straining against his eyelids to vanquish the enemy. Before we knew it, all three of us were out like lights from the suggestibility in his quest. Patients had to wake us up and we had a week of dread wondering if mgmt would find out & fire us. We never watched the late, late show again.

* I also watched a lot of Creature Feature which was all of the old horror movies. That was good stuff. A local independent theater is showing Creature from the Black Lagoon on the big screen. Thinking of catching that. I remember really liking it as a kid.
Sweet. Did you have the glow-in-the-dark models?

Creature

Group shot

I did not have all myself, but my cousin completed the set. We had lots of monster wars. 👺🤜👹

This seems as good a place to post this as I can come up with.  Primarily for @El Floppo and @RC94 right now because the touring dates haven't been announced that I can find, but there is a fantastic retrospective of Kiarostami works right now in NYC and then touring thereafter.  There's some stuff in here that I can't imagine could be watched anywhere else.

Maybe I'll fly to NY to see it.
Wouldn't it just be easier to buy a house in NYC? :shrug:

That show looks great.

Off hand, what were some of the ones you saw with some hopes and were disappointed with? 
This is a good question for people as well.  I am sure that if I think harder I can think of more but I cant think of many offhand.  I remember not loving The Apartment, and there are a couple subpar Hitchcock movies.  

More often than not I have liked them more than I expected.  Perfect example is Citizen Kane after hearing from people how dull it is.  I ended up watching it a couple times over a weekend I liked it so much.  

This seems as good a place to post this as I can come up with.  Primarily for @El Floppo and @RC94 right now because the touring dates haven't been announced that I can find, but there is a fantastic retrospective of Kiarostami works right now in NYC and then touring thereafter.  There's some stuff in here that I can't imagine could be watched anywhere else.

Maybe I'll fly to NY to see it.
I found this at the bottom of a rabbit hole created by Krista's post.

It's my first exposure to Kiarostami and I don't know what to make of it other than the geese at minute 40 steal the show.

This is a good question for people as well.  I am sure that if I think harder I can think of more but I cant think of many offhand.  I remember not loving The Apartment, and there are a couple subpar Hitchcock movies.  

More often than not I have liked them more than I expected.  Perfect example is Citizen Kane after hearing from people how dull it is.  I ended up watching it a couple times over a weekend I liked it so much.  
Yeah.

For me, I was disappointed with The Deer Hunter. I liked the art, but the watch itself was a chore for me ... even though I love all the actors.

Yeah.

For me, I was disappointed with The Deer Hunter. I liked the art, but the watch itself was a chore for me ... even though I love all the actors.
I was thinking even older when I posted.  I have a very love/hate relationship with 70s movies, and probably could come up with few from that decade - Deer Hunter being one, and probably any comedy movie people would list for a best of decade list.  

I was thinking even older when I posted.  I have a very love/hate relationship with 70s movies, and probably could come up with few from that decade - Deer Hunter being one, and probably any comedy movie people would list for a best of decade list.  
On '70s, I would even go so far to say that I have no desire to watch Taxi Driver ever again either. Like Deer Hunter, it is great art, but not an enjoyable watch for me.

On the older stuff, I will do some thinking and add some later.

Users who are viewing this thread