What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Movie Club: We're Getting the Band Back Together: Metallica vs Nina Simone Movie Docs (7 Viewers)

I currently have

• Netflix

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Amazon Prime

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • HBO Max

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Hulu

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Disney+

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Criterion

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • TCM Chanel

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
September Movie Club Double Feature 

This month we did something a little different. @KarmaPolice picked a movie and then I was tasked with picking something that I thought would compliment it for a logical double feature. He picked the first film

1997: The Sweet Hereafter

A bus crash in a small town brings a lawyer to the town to defend the families, but he discovers that everything is not what it seems.

Streaming on Amazon Prime 

and I chose 

1980: Ordinary People

An affluent family finds their relationships deeply strained following the accidental death of their oldest son. 

Spoiler discussion for the movies will open up 10/7. 

Last edited by a moderator:

This month we did something a little different. @KarmaPolice picked a movie and then I was tasked with picking something that I thought would compliment it for a logical double feature. He picked the first film

A bus crash in a small town brings a lawyer to the town to defend the families, but he discovers that everything is not what it seems.

One of my all-time top 20.   :popcorn:  

Haven't seen either of the two newer picks. That The Sweet Hereafter made a top twenty sounds promising. 

Looks like good discussion this month. Did not watch the end of In The Heat Of The Night (got to the first greenhouse scene -- musta missed the slap) or re-watch Bonnie and Clyde.

Haven't seen either of the two newer picks. That The Sweet Hereafter made a top twenty sounds promising. 

Looks like good discussion this month. Did not watch the end of In The Heat Of The Night (got to the first greenhouse scene -- musta missed the slap) or re-watch Bonnie and Clyde.
The slap is during the greenhouse scene- tough to miss and probably a top 20 all time movie moment imo.

The slap is during the greenhouse scene- tough to miss and probably a top 20 all time movie moment imo.
Oh, wow. I stopped it right when he's manipulating the flower and comparing it to "The Negro..."

I sort of stopped it because I didn't like where the soliloquy was heading and it was late night/early morning. Didn't want to get agitated. Funny. 

Oh, wow. I stopped it right when he's manipulating the flower and comparing it to "The Negro..."

I sort of stopped it because I didn't like where the soliloquy was heading and it was late night/early morning. Didn't want to get agitated. Funny. 
Yeah it was all set up for the moment black characters/actors were first given an equal place on the movie screen. Black audiences apparently cheered like it was a Jackie Robinson homerun when Poitier smacked him. 

Yeah it was all set up for the moment black characters/actors were first given an equal place on the movie screen. Black audiences apparently cheered like it was a Jackie Robinson homerun when Poitier smacked him. 
Oh, Poitier slapped him? I just gleaned the last page so I might not be encumbered with any spoilers, figured that endeavor useless, and read Eephus's comment about rural/urban America and settings and the attendant slap/Shatner comments.

I'm glad this seemed to go well. 

On to this iteration of Movie Club. I hope to be two for four.

And the slap has to be viewed through the lens of 1967. Civil Rights, MLK assassination that postpone the Oscars (which In the Heat of the Night wins Best Picture against a loaded field). 

Oh, Poitier slapped him? I just gleaned the last page so I might not be encumbered with any spoilers, figured that endeavor useless, and read Eephus's comment about rural/urban America and settings and the attendant slap/Shatner comments.

I'm glad this seemed to go well. 

On to this iteration of Movie Club. I hope to be two for four.
The slap

That’s exciting- it’s new to me. I can’t wait to hear your thoughts on it. 
I actually put together an all-time top 10 maybe 15 years ago, which you can imagine was as difficult as ranking all the Beatles songs.  At that time, The Sweet Hereafter was in my top 10.  I figure it’s slipped down into 11-20 by now but haven’t actually made a list.  I’ll watch it again for this, and I’m excited to see the discussion!

He wouldn't have gotten as much tail in the 40s.

Beatty is an interesting guy who benefited tremendously from the breakup of the studio system.  He was good looking enough to have been a star in an earlier era but he would have been typecast and eventually shuffled out for younger studs.  In the New Hollywood which he helped create, Beatty became the star as auteur able to control all aspects of a production.   He's in his 80s now and known now for announcing the wrong winner at the Oscars but he's a guy who changed the industry.

His critics fault Beatty for his limited acting chops but as Clyde he carried the picture.  I can't think of any other 60s stars who could have filled the role.  Maybe James Coburn but he would have brought a more sinister edge that might have disturbed the audience's relationship with the antiheroes.
an old firm where I worked got hired by him and annette to do their main LA house. we were the 7th firm they hired (firing the previous 6). warren would call my boss ALL the time, at all hours, expecting him to not only pick up but get #### done (middle of the night on a sunday). sounds like that's just how he rolled- extremely high expectations of the people around him getting stuff done, and at his behest. we lasted a little less than a month before they went on to firm #8.

One of my all-time top 20.   :popcorn:  
no surprise, it's way up there for me too. 

after exotica and this, (and the adjuster, iirc) I thought egoyan was on a tippy top level... some of the stuff since then ... not so much.

I’m interested to watch Ordinary People again.  It’s been absolutely ages since I saw it.  Thought it was fantastic at the time, but I know some consider it a snoozer.
I can't remember it at all.... I thought I did, but now wondering if I ever even saw it.

well, i get a month off. seen both, liked neither, delighted in tormenting folks who thought any cinephile should love both (i do remember coming up with a phrase talking about OP that i used A LOT castigating the Oprah gestalt - "the better to simmer in the rendered fat of their misfortunes" - later on), but do not remember them well enough to debate their merits in a forum. only way i re-watch either is if basic cable shows OP in the next month. neither is on Netflix. i'll miss the jabberjabber, but i'll be glad not to have to watch either again.

after exotica and this, (and the adjuster, iirc) I thought egoyan was on a tippy top level... some of the stuff since then ... not so much.
I thought Felicia’s Journey was still tippy top, but I agree with you after that.  Haven’t seen the last 2-3, though.

well, i get a month off. seen both, liked neither, delighted in tormenting folks who thought any cinephile should love both (i do remember coming up with a phrase talking about OP that i used A LOT castigating the Oprah gestalt - "the better to simmer in the rendered fat of their misfortunes" - later on), but do not remember them well enough to debate their merits in a forum. only way i re-watch either is if basic cable shows OP in the next month. neither is on Netflix. i'll miss the jabberjabber, but i'll be glad not to have to watch either again.
I seem to recall your saying you wouldn’t participate in the last discussion because you didn’t like either movie, either, but you just can’t quit us.

I seen to recall your saying you wouldn’t participate in the last discussion because you didn’t like either movie, either, but you just can’t quit us.
well, i didn't have much to say about B&C, before or after rewatching, and didn't think i'd get to re-watch ITHOTN but it was on TCM. i got a lot of mileage out of how much i hate the Deep South - and no one even drew me into how much great literature & cinema i disqualify purely on southernness - so i was able to keep a hand in... 

no, i'd adore exercising my minority viewpoint on these flix (having been in the adolescent psych biz when OP came out, i had a LOT to say on that at the time), but it's been too long since i seen em to do it right.

i *loved* Exotica at the time. the trouble for me with "Sweet..." was that I read the novel beforehand. I am a fan of Russell Banks and this did a so-so job of telling this story. "Affliction" was another of his novel adapted and Nolte got jobbed for the Oscar there. Regardless, Egoyan has had a string of missteps following "Where the Truth Lies" with "Adoration", "Chloe" and everything else. 

And the slap has to be viewed through the lens of 1967. Civil Rights, MLK assassination that postpone the Oscars (which In the Heat of the Night wins Best Picture against a loaded field). 
my small town, deeply racist small town Southern grandmother told me once that she'd shoot any black man that slapped her like that. hell, she told me that she'd shoot any black man who called her a "white #####" like Eddie Murphy did on SNL in the "Prose and Cons" sketch. We were gobsmacked. My dad was like "uh, time to go to bed boys..."

I can scarcely imagine her response to Poitier doing that.

my small town, deeply racist small town Southern grandmother told me once that she'd shoot any black man that slapped her like that. hell, she told me that she'd shoot any black man who called her a "white #####" like Eddie Murphy did on SNL in the "Prose and Cons" sketch. We were gobsmacked. My dad was like "uh, time to go to bed boys..."

I can scarcely imagine her response to Poitier doing that.
like a rabid polecat under the porch, man - no more thought than that

the screenwriter was perhaps the greatest episodic TV writer of the 60s - i go to sleep to TZ and Hitchcock Presents on ME-TV every night and Stirling Siliphant's name is on almost every ep. but he's another northern guy, as is just about everybody connected w the film. black-guy-in-white-world's a great trope, one that SS woulda put in his back pocket. if they'd gotten the south too right, there probably woulda been a lot more fuss. but it's a serious flaw that slapper & slappee are free men at the end.

I'm interested in how time has changed my perspective about Ordinary People.  I saw it  shortly after it came out.  I was (and still am) the same age as Timothy Hutton.  Now I've passed the parents in age.  I wasn't impressed much by it the first time around but I didn't connect with the characters.  Maybe I'll find more universality in the story this time through.

I know nothing about The Sweet Hereafter.  1997 was peak baby time for us.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Mary Tyler Moore do anything serious before. Given the awards the movie got, I assume she does it well. She was the ultimate package. What’s everyone else think about MTM? I’m quite smitten.

Ilov80s said:
I don’t think I’ve ever seen Mary Tyler Moore do anything serious before. Given the awards the movie got, I assume she does it well. She was the ultimate package. What’s everyone else think about MTM? I’m quite smitten.
She's dead serious in it. And very believable.

Ilov80s said:
She was very odd to follow as a hottie.for someone my age. On the #### Van Dyke Show, she was rockin' those Capri pants and being all girlie, but she was also a mom and her son on the show was only a coupla yrs younger than i was, so i was feeling gooey & wrong at the same time. Then she'd been diagnosed as very diabetic just before the MTM Show and, from week to week her appearance would change. She'd be all rosy & round one week and gaunt & drawn the next. Weird. But that smile. That smile was what enjoying life was all about. Everybody wanted a girl as real & nice as her.

Watched Ordinary People the other night. I forgot how powerful this film is. There’s a lot to think about in it.
I’ve been so busy with new job, football season and all kinds of weekend events that I haven’t seen any movie in awhile. I’m looking forward to these 2.

I made it through about 45 minutes of "The Call Me MISTER Tibbs", the 1970 sequel to ITHOTN.  Without any reference to the backstory of the original, Tibbs has relocated to San Francisco where he's made Lieutenant on the SFPD.  The Tibbs character is written with more of a biting sense of humor.

The racial tension that permeated ITHOTN is nowhere to be found.  The police procedural is still there, this time involving the murder of a prostitute.  Suspects include Martin Landau as a politically active minister, a sleazy Anthony Zerbe and Edward Asner in a ridiculous toupee.

The filmmakers have filled space by inserting Tibbs' wife and two children into the story.  They've also managed to cram a large soundstage apartment into a North Beach building.  Poitier's domestic struggles remind me of Danny Glover's similar issues in the Lethal Weapon series.

The production values are much lower than ITHOTN.  It looks like a 70s TV cop show with a slightly higher budget. I'm probably more interested in the location footage of SF than you will be but even with that, I'm not sure I'll finish it off before it disappears from TCM.com at the end of the month.  The third film of the Tibbs trilogy "The Organization" is there as well but I'm pretty sure I've seen that one before.

ETA:  In case you're wondering , they haven't managed to work the sequel's title into the dialog yet.

Watched "The Sweet Hereafter" last night.  Pretty dang good.  Easily could have fallen more into a more stereotypical, maudlin type of movie about the event at the center of the movie, but Egoyan kept it above that.

Ordinary People is fantastic. The performances by Hutton, MTM and Donald Sutherland are top-notch.

Definitely depressing, but should be given the subject matter. I'd put it with The Ice Storm as among the most depressing family-oriented movies I've encountered. 

I made it through about 45 minutes of "The Call Me MISTER Tibbs", the 1970 sequel to ITHOTN.  Without any reference to the backstory of the original, Tibbs has relocated to San Francisco where he's made Lieutenant on the SFPD.  The Tibbs character is written with more of a biting sense of humor.

The racial tension that permeated ITHOTN is nowhere to be found.  The police procedural is still there, this time involving the murder of a prostitute.  Suspects include Martin Landau as a politically active minister, a sleazy Anthony Zerbe and Edward Asner in a ridiculous toupee.

The filmmakers have filled space by inserting Tibbs' wife and two children into the story.  They've also managed to cram a large soundstage apartment into a North Beach building.  Poitier's domestic struggles remind me of Danny Glover's similar issues in the Lethal Weapon series.

The production values are much lower than ITHOTN.  It looks like a 70s TV cop show with a slightly higher budget. I'm probably more interested in the location footage of SF than you will be but even with that, I'm not sure I'll finish it off before it disappears from TCM.com at the end of the month.  The third film of the Tibbs trilogy "The Organization" is there as well but I'm pretty sure I've seen that one before.

ETA:  In case you're wondering , they haven't managed to work the sequel's title into the dialog yet.
I was halfway in already so I finished this one off last night.  It was a very odd sequel with little of what made ITHOTN great.  Tibbs was like an alternate universe doppelganger of the character in the original film. 

They managed to reprise the slap scene in the strangest way.  Most of the domestic drama was related to Poitier's difficult relationship to his son who must have been about twelve years old.  In one incredible scene, Tibbs catches him smoking a cigarette with a friend so he takes him to his room and forces him to smoke cigars and drink liquor until the kid vomits.  Later after the son hits his sister, Tibbs slaps him for refusing to pick up his Legos.  He hits him not just once but three times before hugging him and telling him he's not perfect.

There's a surprise ending like in the original but since the other suspects have all been killed or maimed by that time it's pretty academic.

that flick is specifically why i put in the 1970 qualifier. actually, to be fair, my two favorite Poitier moves - The Slender Thread & To Sir With Love - had little to do w racial politics. i'm not sure if that's why theyre my favorites or not.
Watched the Slender Thread on this recommendation.

Such great acting (Bancroft, Steven Hill, Sidney in particular).

Lots of familiar faces (Asner, Telly, Dabney Coleman)

A simple story, well-acted.

Modern-day Hollywood should take note.

Poitier is very good in the Cold War thriller The Bedford Incident.  I don't recall his race being a significant part of his character but he definitely plays an outsider on Richard Widmark's Navy ship.
Just finished Bedford.

Very good Cold War story, complete with a growingly-unhinged man in charge.

Forgot how good Widmark was.

Plus Wally Cox!

Poitier is very good in the Cold War thriller The Bedford Incident.  I don't recall his race being a significant part of his character but he definitely plays an outsider on Richard Widmark's Navy ship.
Double-post, sorry...

Users who are viewing this thread