Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Ilov80s

FBG Movie Club: The Last Black Man in San Francisco vs American Factory due 2/3

How would you rate Last Black Man in San Francisco?  

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, krista4 said:

All this talk of it makes me want to watch this today; going to fire it up.  I'm fitting in a few horror films this month that SmoovySmoov (does he post here anymore) recommended on Facebook.  Watched The Babadook yesterday on his recommendation.

Did you like it?

I was kind of meh for me as I recall.

5 minutes ago, krista4 said:

All this talk of it makes me want to watch this today; going to fire it up.  I'm fitting in a few horror films this month that SmoovySmoov (does he post here anymore) recommended on Facebook.  Watched The Babadook yesterday on his recommendation.

I was surprised how much Carrie has in common with just a typical teen movie. Also, I was definitely joking about it being restrained. It's over the top and campy as hell (in a good way). 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, identikit said:

Did you like it?

I was kind of meh for me as I recall.

I liked it a lot, but I enjoy the gradual builds that I could understand some might find too slow or boring.  To me, it was incredibly terrifying due to the metaphorical aspects; I've probably not been good at addressing grief, though hopefully not to the extent of the mother!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I was surprised how much Carrie has in common with just a typical teen movie. Also, I was definitely joking about it being restrained. It's over the top and campy as hell (in a good way). 

that was gonna be the base of my review, a lot more focused on Carrie helping develop the tropes upon which the teen movie was based more than the horror movie. problem is, i thought it was contrived then & that was pretty much my gen (the movie is set a few years after my class, but the principals are around the same age)

• Like 1

I'm only five minutes into Carrie but predict the 70s grooming habits will be the most terrifying part of the movie for me.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 3

20 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I'm only five minutes into Carrie but predict the 70s grooming habits will be the most terrifying part of the movie for me.

Yeah, this poor girl and the insane way adults treat the kids, society treats the outcasts. I get a little bit of a young Daenerys Targaryen vibe too. 

• Laughing 1

3 minutes ago, krista4 said:

How were guys with perms ever a thing?

i'll put my shags up against em anyday

ETA: and i'm sure if we looked up the ol' Joe Bob Briggs review, we'd see the words "electric curler fu"

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Laughing 1

Why are all these high-school students in their late 20s?  Were they all held back?

Edited by krista4

3 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Don't do it, mean kids!  You'll be sorry!

Uh oh.  They did it.

On 10/20/2019 at 7:59 PM, krista4 said:

As you prolly know, my high school had a "no hair below the collar" policy. 

Well... in order to get around it, me & and pal got perms to curl our hair up above the collar at school. 

At night - blow dry it straight. :bag:

We only did it one semester - '85 I think. 

I dunno fer sure, as my head was kinda fuzzy. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

On 10/20/2019 at 4:59 PM, krista4 said:

I was talking about this with the woman that cuts my hair. They're back for high school-aged kids. Apparently there are some YouTube and social media sensations with half perms/shaved/long fronts.

Just laughed along with her. She'd had requests for them and I think she was debating refusing to do them. It all comes full circle. 

eta* sorta like this https://www.allthingshair.com/en-us/mens-hairstyles/curly-hairstyles-for-men/man-perm/

Edited by rockaction
  • Thinking 1

Since November is always election time in America, I will let the people vote for the theme. 

3 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Since November is always election time in America, I will let the people vote for the theme. 

Latina chubby mature

• Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

1 minute ago, wikkidpissah said:

Latina chubby mature

It is not a write in contest, I repeat, it is not a write in contest 

• Laughing 1

16 hours ago, rockaction said:

I was talking about this with the woman that cuts my hair. They're back for high school-aged kids. Apparently there are some YouTube and social media sensations with half perms/shaved/long fronts.

Just laughed along with her. She'd had requests for them and I think she was debating refusing to do them. It all comes full circle. 

eta* sorta like this https://www.hairstylo.com/2018/11/perm-hairstyles-for-men.html

I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry at this, so I went with "thinking." ;) 

• Like 1

When I saw Carrie for the first time it was the first run in the theater and I was in high school. I saw it with 4 of my other high school friends, we all resembled the actors. We all thought it was the coolest movie ever and it was the talk of school. I watched it again recently and was amazed by the performance of Spacek and Piper Laurie (mom). Brilliant De Palma masterpiece and I don't think I'd even read a Stephen King at the time (now I've read all of them). 

• Like 2

On 10/20/2019 at 8:31 PM, KarmaPolice said:

There sure are a lot of dirty pillows in this opening scene.  

For 43 years I thought she called her nips, "dirty fellows." Then I watched it with my wife recently and she said, "dirty pillows." We then argued about it until wiki cleared it up. I lose again.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, The Man With No Name said:

All The President's Men
Being There
Dr. Strangelove

The Candidate

The Contender

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry at this, so I went with "thinking." ;) 

My browser didn't know what to do either so it went with: Error establishing a database connection

53 minutes ago, The Man With No Name said:

All The President's Men
Being There
Dr. Strangelove

I love all 3 but it's not that kind of vote. 

15 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

My browser didn't know what to do either so it went with: Error establishing a database connection

Link fixed. 

4 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

I love all 3 but it's not that kind of vote

What kind of vote is it?  I'm confused.

5 hours ago, Eephus said:

The kind where people who ask questions don't get a say. OK? 

Actually, I will add a poll in the near future where I tell you the theme (not the movies) and we vote. I want to wait until it's a bit closer so I am confident the movies I have in mind are still streaming. 

I'm holding out regardless. They devalued my position in the CBA and I want what's coming to me, vote count or no vote count. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ilov80s said:
7 hours ago, Eephus said:

The kind where people who ask questions don't get a say. OK? 

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of voting!

27 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I'm holding out regardless.

Thank you, Dennis!

Edited by Man of Constant Sorrow
  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1

Vote for the  November Movie Theme

Option 1: Noirvember 

Option 2: Hitchcockian

Option 3: The Deep State

Reply to this post with your vote and I will keep tabs (note must have at least 7 votes for it to be official). Last day to vote is Election Day Tuesday, November 4th 

Edited by Ilov80s

Just now, The Man With No Name said:

Love Noir and Hitchcock(ian) films, but I'll go with 

1. Noirvember

Mice. They’re all for ya as long as you’re in the chips. I never seen a dame yet that’s still around when you hit the skids.

7 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Reply to this post with your vote and I will keep tabs (note must have at least 7 votes for it to be official). Last day to vote is Election Day Tuesday, November 4th 

Noirvember

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Charlie Steiner said:

Noirvember

I walked. For how long I don't know; I didn't have a watch. They don't put that kind of time in watches anyway....

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 10/12/2019 at 8:22 PM, Eephus said:

I rewatched Dressed to Kill when it was on TCM recently.  It wasn't as good as I remembered but it was still pretty decent.  My daughter happened to wander in during the art museum scene and hung around through Angie's murder.  We were alternately laughing, oohing and screaming during the segment.

The Black Dahlia isn't very good but it's still better than The Bonfires of the Vanities.

My dad had this movie on VHS when I was a kid. I don’t think I ever watched the whole movie. Just the first five minutes. About 100 times. 

Edited by bigbottom
  • Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 11:12 AM, krista4 said:

Let the Right One In is top notch.  Saw Carrie as a kid and remember nothing but that one scene, so I’ll give it another whirl.

I loved Let the Right One In. I thought pretty much everything about it was brilliant. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

I loved Let the Right One In. I thought pretty much everything about it was brilliant. 

Did you just watch it, or you talking in general? 

Surprised there hasn't been more chatter about Let the Right One In around here.  I guess it is the harder one to track down though.  I was going to do a rewatch this weekend so its fresh in my mind.  

51 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I like all the options, but will vote for Noirvember as well.  

8 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I like all the options, but will vote for Noirvember as well.  

How could I have known that murder could sometimes smell like honeysuckle?

8 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

Noirvember.

Hey, you know somethin'? You ought to be doin' radio commercials - how to talk a lot and say nothin'.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Noirvember me.

Me too...

1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

Surprised there hasn't been more chatter about Let the Right One In around here.  I guess it is the harder one to track down though.  I was going to do a rewatch this weekend so its fresh in my mind.  

Sorry, I didn’t just watch it, which I know is the point of this thread. I’ve seen it twice previously though. There is just so much I like about it though. The acting performances. The mood. The cinematography.  The story. The weirdness. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

Sorry, I didn’t just watch it, which I know is the point of this thread. I’ve seen it twice previously though. There is just so much I like about it though. The acting performances. The mood. The cinematography.  The story. The weirdness. 

The point of this thread is to talk about movies.  Doesn't matter if you just rewatched it, I was just asking out of curiosity.  

• Like 1

De Palma will do plenty of Hitchcocking off in October.

• Like 1

Speaking of which, I finally finished watching De Palma's latest movie Domino on Netflix.  It's a low budget cop vs. terrorists affair set in Copenhagen, Brussels and Almeria.  The best known star is Guy Pearce playing a CIA bad guy.  To be fair to De Palma, I don't think Hitchcock could have made a good movie from this script but he probably would have kept things moving along quicker to hide the plot holes.

It looks like De Palma saved his budget for three big signature set pieces.  The rooftop chase at the start of the movie is the best by far.  The first person perspective of a mass shooting on a film festival red carpet is creepy even if you take it as an industry inside joke.  The climax where the good guys foil (SPOILER) a terror attack on a Spanish bullring is like a parody of a De Palma film.  It has everything you came for: overhead camera angles, slow motion, long wordless passages with swelling strings and Bolero rhythms, more slow motion, binocular shots, intercutting.  It's completely ridiculous but it has a strange magnificence to it.

One of the best things about it is the score is from longtime De Palma collaborator Pino Donaggio who has provided music for eight De Palma films dating back to Carrie.

Two stars

10 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Yeah I need to take the time to rent it this weekend/week. I am excited to watch- just lazy and putting on the horror movies I recorded on TCM or that are on NF/AP. 

9 hours ago, krista4 said:

Noirvember me.

You're like a leaf that the wind blows from one gutter to another. You can’t help anything you do, even murder.

9 hours ago, identikit said:

Me too...

Keep on riding me and they're gonna be picking iron out of your liver.

• Thanks 1