Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Ilov80s

FBG Movie Club: The Last Black Man in San Francisco vs American Factory due 2/3

How would you rate Last Black Man in San Francisco?  

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Mice. They’re all for ya as long as you’re in the chips. I never seen a dame yet that’s still around when you hit the skids.

11 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

I walked. For how long I don't know; I didn't have a watch. They don't put that kind of time in watches anyway....

11 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

How could I have known that murder could sometimes smell like honeysuckle?

Hey, you know somethin'? You ought to be doin' radio commercials - how to talk a lot and say nothin'.

40 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

You're like a leaf that the wind blows from one gutter to another. You can’t help anything you do, even murder.

Keep on riding me and they're gonna be picking iron out of your liver.

Maybe you'll like this, maybe you won't; either way, there's more.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, Ilov80s said:

Very nice incorporation there. Thanks. 

Not sure how familiar you are with the Smithereens, but noir was an influence on their material, especially early on.  That's probably the best example, but there are others. 

3 minutes ago, Charlie Steiner said:

Not sure how familiar you are with the Smithereens, but noir was an influence on their material, especially early on.  That's probably the best example, but there are others. 

I know A Girl Like You and that everyone used to want to blow everything to them. 

20 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I know A Girl Like You and that everyone used to want to blow everything to them. 

Fun fact for ya: that song was their "response" to the burgeoning grunge sound coming from the left coast.  Bonus fun fact for ya: this song was in the running for use in Say Anything, but lost out to that Peter Gabriel song.  Guess theirs was too on the nose.

Blood and Roses (one of my many personal favorites of theirs) was used in the film Dangerously Close.

Behind the Wall of Sleep was one of the first of their songs that I heard.  I was hooked.

They even do pretty kickass covers of other songs, like Time Won't Let Me, which was featured the Jean-Claude Van Damme vehicle Time Cop.

Sorry for going on so much about them, but noir is in their wheelhouse, and they are in mine. That last one is from 2011, 30+ years since they started.  FWIW, they still tour despite their lead singer passing away in 2017.  Marshall Crenshaw and Robin Wilson of the Gin Blossoms take turns filling in for him, and the group was recently inducted into the New Jersey Hall of Fame, performing arts category.

GOD SAVE THE SMITHEREENS!

Edited by Charlie Steiner
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Did you just watch it, or you talking in general? 

Surprised there hasn't been more chatter about Let the Right One In around here.  I guess it is the harder one to track down though.  I was going to do a rewatch this weekend so its fresh in my mind.  

I still need to watch both. Downloaded the Kanopy app for it though.  The Nats’ postseason run has been dominating my TV watching lately..

2 hours ago, Charlie Steiner said:

Fine tune. Nice reference. And any chance to see Suzanne Vega's eyes is a great way to start one's online day. If i had a gf w eyes like that, she'd never get any sleep cuz i wouldn't let her close em...

For noir citations, let's not forget the master:

“I needed a drink, I needed a lot of life insurance, I needed a vacation, I needed a home in the country. What I had was a coat, a hat and a gun. I put them on and went out of the room.”

Only one i've seen top Chandler was William Faulkner himself, scripting Chandler's The Big Sleep:

Then she tried to sit in my lap while I was standing up

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

Fine tune. Nice reference. And any chance to see Suzanne Vega's eyes is a great way to start one's online day. If i had a gf w eyes like that, she'd never get any sleep cuz i wouldn't let her close em...

For noir citations, let's not forget the master:

Only one i've seen top Chandler was William Faulkner himself, scripting Chandler's The Big Sleep:

I could listen to Suzanne Vega sing the phone book, and I think I once got a semi listening to 99.9 f

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Charlie Steiner said:

I could listen to Suzanne Vega sing the phone book, and I think I once got a semi listening to 99.9 f

She could've been naked in that and i wouldn't have noticed....

• Laughing 1

Watching Let the Right One In, pretty good so far. It definitely has more heart than one typically finds it a horror film. It's not what I would call scary but I don't think horror movies have to be scary. It is sad more than anything and reminds me a lot of KA's pick last month: The Sweet Hereafter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

Watching Let the Right One In, pretty good so far. It definitely has more heart than one typically finds it a horror film. It's not what I would call scary but I don't think horror movies have to be scary. It is sad more than anything and reminds me a lot of KA's pick last month: The Sweet Hereafter. 

For me, it is a brutally honest situation and something has to change for these desperate characters (albeit better and/or for worse). Great film

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

For me, it is a brutally honest situation and something has to change for these desperate characters (albeit better and/or for worse). Great film

I couldn’t help but see it as a parable for addiction 

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

On 10/25/2019 at 4:49 PM, Ilov80s said:

Vote for the  November Movie Theme

Option 1: Noirvember 

Option 2: Hitchcockian

Option 3: The Deep State

Reply to this post with your vote and I will keep tabs (note must have at least 7 votes for it to be official). Last day to vote is Election Day Tuesday, November 4th 

Hitchcockian

Watched Carrie last night. I have seen this movie a lot. That includes seeing at the theaters when it was first released. I enjoy it every time. Does a great job of building sympathy and hope all at the same time for Carrie. Effects are minimal and are great. Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie are great together. This may be one of the best adaptations of a King novel in my opinion. It's pretty faithful to the source material. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, prosopis said:

Hitchcockian

Noted. You will need to orchestrate a big comeback. Noirvember got a hot start. 

Don't forget to watch your scary movies these next 2 days  😱👻👹👽☠️

5 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I will  (won't?) - but, can I use my blanket to cover my eyes during the really scary parts? 🙈

Edited by Man of Constant Sorrow

20 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Watched Carrie the other day. Wasn't sure I was going to survive the first 5 minutes but I powered through it. Also forgot how much I liked Piper Laurie until I saw her again in this.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Charlie Steiner said:

Watched Carrie the other day. Wasn't sure I was going to survive the first 5 minutes but I powered through it. Also forgot how much I liked Piper Laurie until I saw her again in this.

The start is interesting. It was much more HS 80s movie than I expected. 

6 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

The start is interesting. It was much more HS 80s movie than I expected. 

Since this came out in '76,  I guess he set the precedent for Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Porky's. I'm just not sure what DePalma was going for. Didn't really work as a juxtaposition against where the rest of the movie was going, and seemed gratuitous even for its era. Seems now more like he did it because he could.

But it does make me wonder why Nancy Allen wasn't more of a star.

12 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

I’m gonna watch Parasite soon. Looks promising.

It's a really entertaining movie that's loaded with surprises.

Anybody have any suggestions for the next Bong Joon Ho films to watch next?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Charlie Steiner said:

But it does make me wonder why Nancy Allen wasn't more of a star.

Getting divorced from De Palma wasn't a good career move.

Carrie stars the wives of De Palma and Steven Spielberg.

P. J. Soles was briefly married to Rolling Thunder Revue guitarist Steven Soles and later married Dennis Quaid.  She was older when she married him in 1978 than Quaid's new fiancee.

17 minutes ago, Eephus said:

It's a really entertaining movie that's loaded with surprises.

Anybody have any suggestions for the next Bong Joon Ho films to watch next?

@Eephus - have you seen any of his other movies?  The order for me of the ones that I have seen would be:

Mother

The Host

Memories of Murder

Snowpiercer

Never typically like it when foreign directors dip into the American/English speaking movies.  Snowpiercer had an interesting idea, but thought it was OK overall.  Mother and The Host are two of my favorites from the last 10-15 years though.   I sadly still haven't seen Okja - I should correct that soon, as I THINK it's on Netflix.  

• Thanks 1

11 votes right now which is right on target for where we have been. Hopefully we get 5-10 more before we switch to Noirvember. 

4 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

@Eephus - have you seen any of his other movies?  The order for me of the ones that I have seen would be:

Mother

The Host

Memories of Murder

Snowpiercer

Never typically like it when foreign directors dip into the American/English speaking movies.  Snowpiercer had an interesting idea, but thought it was OK overall.  Mother and The Host are two of my favorites from the last 10-15 years though.   I sadly still haven't seen Okja - I should correct that soon, as I THINK it's on Netflix.  

Thanks. 

Okja and Snowpiercer are on Netflix.  Memories of Murder WAS on Prime last week when I watchlisted it but it's been taken down since.  The Host is on Tubi with commercial breaks.

1 minute ago, bigbottom said:

Is Parasite only in theaters?

As far as I know....and not many

56 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

Is Parasite only in theaters?

I am sure there are a bloke or two that has some sketchy download hookup 'round these parts.  

Watched all of Carrie last night.  Yeah, it's a tad dated with the soundtrack and pubic hair, but I still think it holds up really well for the genre.  Most of that has to do with the acting from Spacek and Laurie.  I also really like the Sue character and the dynamic with her and the other women and how they reacted to what they did and have done to Carrie. Like I said when i posted these movies, it's still one of my favorite horror movies.  

Since it's ####### snowing on Halloween here, the plan is to watch Let the Right One In tonight, since that will set the mood even more for the movie.  There were a few interesting themes I thought connected the two movies when I picked the double feature.  There is bullying, and who carries out the revenge on bullies.  Carrie is a tale of puberty based on the first scene, and in a way we have the opposite in LTROI with one of the characters.  Good acting, isolation, loneliness, etc..  lots of stuff.   I just hope enough take the plunge with Let the Right One In - I know I didn't pick a very accessible movie for watching.  

27 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Watched all of Carrie last night.  Yeah, it's a tad dated with the soundtrack and pubic hair,

🤣

The movies definitely pair well together. There are a ton of similarities.

2 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

The movies definitely pair well together. There are a ton of similarities.

When I watch LTROI, I'll takes extra notes on the pubic hair.

Curious to see how that stacks up against Carrie///

28 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Watched all of Carrie last night.  Yeah, it's a tad dated with the soundtrack and pubic hair, but I still think it holds up really well for the genre.  Most of that has to do with the acting from Spacek and Laurie.  I also really like the Sue character and the dynamic with her and the other women and how they reacted to what they did and have done to Carrie. Like I said when i posted these movies, it's still one of my favorite horror movies.  

Since it's ####### snowing on Halloween here, the plan is to watch Let the Right One In tonight, since that will set the mood even more for the movie.  There were a few interesting themes I thought connected the two movies when I picked the double feature.  There is bullying, and who carries out the revenge on bullies.  Carrie is a tale of puberty based on the first scene, and in a way we have the opposite in LTROI with one of the characters.  Good acting, isolation, loneliness, etc..  lots of stuff.   I just hope enough take the plunge with Let the Right One In - I know I didn't pick a very accessible movie for watching.  

I'm home today with a bad back, so I'm going to watch LTROI today, probably after I finish this post.  Don't know what to expect, but here goes nothing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Charlie Steiner said:

I'm home today with a bad back, so I'm going to watch LTROI today, probably after I finish this post.  Don't know what to expect, but here goes nothing.

Awesome - hope you enjoy! 

(the movie, not the bad back)

1 hour ago, Charlie Steiner said:

Are there subtitles?

yes, it's a foreign movie.  Or are you saying that the subtitles are showing up?

1 minute ago, KarmaPolice said:

yes, it's a foreign movie.  Or are you saying that the subtitles are showing up?

No subtitles, but I'm following the gist of it...I think.

38 minutes ago, Charlie Steiner said:

No subtitles, but I'm following the gist of it...I think.

Yep.

Probably missed a few things, but I at least kept up with the story. 

Wait you watched it without subtitles? I actually think it would be easy to follow but lol

6 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Wait you watched it without subtitles? I actually think it would be easy to follow but lol

I kept waiting for subtitles or voice dubbing, but when it didn't happen I decided to just stick with it as long as I could.  What I did notice was that non-verbal language seems to translate well.

• Like 1

:lol:

No way I would have lasted through that.  I can't even do a dubbed version.  Had to have been a setting for subtitles somewhere 

7 minutes ago, Charlie Steiner said:

I kept waiting for subtitles or voice dubbing, but when it didn't happen I decided to just stick with it as long as I could.  What I did notice was that non-verbal language seems to translate well.

I like this.

I used to be a big fan of the old Adams Family episodes in Spanish - which I don't speak a lick of. Something about it raised the humor for me. Unfortunately, I can't find the ones I liked so much - they seem to be gone now. :(

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

:lol:

No way I would have lasted through that.  I can't even do a dubbed version.  Had to have been a setting for subtitles somewhere 

I just accepted the missing dialog as filler for between the action scenes that moved the story along.  Don't know if I missed any foreshadowing or backstory, but I usually just try to get the big picture when I see a film the first time anyway.

16 minutes ago, Charlie Steiner said:

I just accepted the missing dialog as filler for between the action scenes that moved the story along.  Don't know if I missed any foreshadowing or backstory, but I usually just try to get the big picture when I see a film the first time anyway.

I am sure you didn't need the subtitles for the pool scene.  

I made this a little while ago and have been updating it with our movies, ratings, best comments, etc. Now seems like a good time to share. We shall see who can make the cut and get their reviews/comments into the October review. 

Check out the FBG Movie Club

Thanks to @Eephus @wikkidpissah @krista4 @Andy Dufresne @Don Quixote @Charlie Steiner @jwb @saintfool @identikit @RC94 @prosopis @McJose and everyone else who has helped KP and I make this thread worthwhile. 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

I just hope enough take the plunge with Let the Right One In - I know I didn't pick a very accessible movie for watching.  

Watched it Tuesday night.

Watched Carrie a couple weeks ago. Had seen it previously but that was many many years ago.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, The Man With No Name said:

Watched it Tuesday night.

Was it your first time seeing it? Did you like it?