What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Movie Club: We're Getting the Band Back Together: Metallica vs Nina Simone Movie Docs (3 Viewers)

I currently have

• Netflix

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Amazon Prime

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • HBO Max

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Hulu

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Disney+

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Criterion

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • TCM Chanel

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
Carrie stars the wives of De Palma and Steven Spielberg.

P. J. Soles was briefly married to Rolling Thunder Revue guitarist Steven Soles and later married Dennis Quaid.  She was older when she married him in 1978 than Quaid's new fiancee.

It's a really entertaining movie that's loaded with surprises.

Anybody have any suggestions for the next Bong Joon Ho films to watch next?
@Eephus - have you seen any of his other movies?  The order for me of the ones that I have seen would be:

Mother

The Host

Memories of Murder

Snowpiercer

Never typically like it when foreign directors dip into the American/English speaking movies.  Snowpiercer had an interesting idea, but thought it was OK overall.  Mother and The Host are two of my favorites from the last 10-15 years though.   I sadly still haven't seen Okja - I should correct that soon, as I THINK it's on Netflix.  

11 votes right now which is right on target for where we have been. Hopefully we get 5-10 more before we switch to Noirvember. 

@Eephus - have you seen any of his other movies?  The order for me of the ones that I have seen would be:

Mother

The Host

Memories of Murder

Snowpiercer

Never typically like it when foreign directors dip into the American/English speaking movies.  Snowpiercer had an interesting idea, but thought it was OK overall.  Mother and The Host are two of my favorites from the last 10-15 years though.   I sadly still haven't seen Okja - I should correct that soon, as I THINK it's on Netflix.  
Thanks. 

Okja and Snowpiercer are on Netflix.  Memories of Murder WAS on Prime last week when I watchlisted it but it's been taken down since.  The Host is on Tubi with commercial breaks.

Watched all of Carrie last night.  Yeah, it's a tad dated with the soundtrack and pubic hair, but I still think it holds up really well for the genre.  Most of that has to do with the acting from Spacek and Laurie.  I also really like the Sue character and the dynamic with her and the other women and how they reacted to what they did and have done to Carrie. Like I said when i posted these movies, it's still one of my favorite horror movies.  

Since it's ####### snowing on Halloween here, the plan is to watch Let the Right One In tonight, since that will set the mood even more for the movie.  There were a few interesting themes I thought connected the two movies when I picked the double feature.  There is bullying, and who carries out the revenge on bullies.  Carrie is a tale of puberty based on the first scene, and in a way we have the opposite in LTROI with one of the characters.  Good acting, isolation, loneliness, etc..  lots of stuff.   I just hope enough take the plunge with Let the Right One In - I know I didn't pick a very accessible movie for watching.  

Watched all of Carrie last night.  Yeah, it's a tad dated with the soundtrack and pubic hair, but I still think it holds up really well for the genre.  Most of that has to do with the acting from Spacek and Laurie.  I also really like the Sue character and the dynamic with her and the other women and how they reacted to what they did and have done to Carrie. Like I said when i posted these movies, it's still one of my favorite horror movies.  

Since it's ####### snowing on Halloween here, the plan is to watch Let the Right One In tonight, since that will set the mood even more for the movie.  There were a few interesting themes I thought connected the two movies when I picked the double feature.  There is bullying, and who carries out the revenge on bullies.  Carrie is a tale of puberty based on the first scene, and in a way we have the opposite in LTROI with one of the characters.  Good acting, isolation, loneliness, etc..  lots of stuff.   I just hope enough take the plunge with Let the Right One In - I know I didn't pick a very accessible movie for watching.  
I'm home today with a bad back, so I'm going to watch LTROI today, probably after I finish this post.  Don't know what to expect, but here goes nothing.

:lol:

No way I would have lasted through that.  I can't even do a dubbed version.  Had to have been a setting for subtitles somewhere 

I kept waiting for subtitles or voice dubbing, but when it didn't happen I decided to just stick with it as long as I could.  What I did notice was that non-verbal language seems to translate well.
I like this.

I used to be a big fan of the old Adams Family episodes in Spanish - which I don't speak a lick of. Something about it raised the humor for me. Unfortunately, I can't find the ones I liked so much - they seem to be gone now. :(

:lol:

No way I would have lasted through that.  I can't even do a dubbed version.  Had to have been a setting for subtitles somewhere 
I just accepted the missing dialog as filler for between the action scenes that moved the story along.  Don't know if I missed any foreshadowing or backstory, but I usually just try to get the big picture when I see a film the first time anyway.

I just accepted the missing dialog as filler for between the action scenes that moved the story along.  Don't know if I missed any foreshadowing or backstory, but I usually just try to get the big picture when I see a film the first time anyway.
I am sure you didn't need the subtitles for the pool scene.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Just watched LTROI and I loved it. I know I have seen bits and pieces of it in the past but I feel this was my first tie watching it in its entirety. I love it. Loved much of the lighting, practical effects, and atmosphere. I am in the desert and I felt like I was in the European woods while watching this. It had just the right amount of old world feel to it as well. 

I also particularly enjoyed the death by house cat attack. I kind of want to know why that guy would have that many cats. I think I counted a dozen or more cats that show up from no where. Awesome fun but confusing.

Excellent pairing this month. Love love love bullies getting owned. 

I made this a little while ago and have been updating it with our movies, ratings, best comments, etc. Now seems like a good time to share. We shall see who can make the cut and get their reviews/comments into the October review. 

Check out the FBG Movie Club

Thanks to @Eephus @wikkidpissah @krista4 @Andy Dufresne @Don Quixote @Charlie Steiner @jwb @saintfool @identikit @RC94 @prosopis @McJose and everyone else who has helped KP and I make this thread worthwhile. 
Far out

I have just begun my Carrie watch, and I feel the need to comment on the infamous opening scene before I go any further. 

Note: I rewound multiple times in order to improve my accuracy here - so, trust me.

1) The ball handling is atrocious! I counted at least 3 mishandles and 2 double hits without focusing too hard.

2) No one was setting the outside hitters. It should have been bump - set - spike. But; nope!

3) Carrie got harshed for the team loss, but the shot she missed, was actually the only decent hit displayed during the whole shebang. Not fair!

I can already see how this is not gonna end well ...

Vote for the  November Movie Theme

Option 1: Noirvember 

Option 2: Hitchcockian

Option 3: The Deep State

Reply to this post with your vote and I will keep tabs (note must have at least 7 votes for it to be official). Last day to vote is Election Day Tuesday, November 4th 
Since this has already been decided; I guess it is time for me to vote.

2) Hitchcockian

The name ... can't not vote for.

OK. Carrie down - enjoyed it much (in its campy way) - will vote after I finish Let the Right One In.

Ilov80s said:
I made this a little while ago and have been updating it with our movies, ratings, best comments, etc. Now seems like a good time to share. We shall see who can make the cut and get their reviews/comments into the October review. 

Thanks to @Eephus @wikkidpissah @krista4 @Andy Dufresne @Don Quixote @Charlie Steiner @jwb @saintfool @identikit @RC94 @prosopis @McJose and everyone else who has helped KP and I make this thread worthwhile. 
So cool!

Ilov80s said:

This is awesome - great work on that! 

Ilov80s said:

Aw, shucks. Did I write that on one of those? Thanks for the slide show. Sorry I haven't been as active a member as I would like, I'm just reading along for the most part. 

Aw, shucks. Did I write that on one of those? Thanks for the slide show. Sorry I haven't been as active a member as I would like, I'm just reading along for the most part. 
You did- that movie/month was right up your alley. Feel free to read along and join in whenever it strikes you.

Love to hear from the people who watched Let the Right One In.  I didn't get to the rewatch on Halloween, but did watch it last night.   

I never know quite how to handle the ending.  There is scenes of sweetness in the movie, but overall I am still left with an overwhelming scene of loneliness at the end for these two.  How much does Eli care vs. her just needing a human to get her blood?  Does Oskar realize the life he is in for as he becomes the next Hakan?   Seems like they are a fitting pair, but that doesn't make it a happy pair.  

Love to hear from the people who watched Let the Right One In.  I didn't get to the rewatch on Halloween, but did watch it last night.   

I never know quite how to handle the ending.  There is scenes of sweetness in the movie, but overall I am still left with an overwhelming scene of loneliness at the end for these two.  How much does Eli care vs. her just needing a human to get her blood?  Does Oskar realize the life he is in for as he becomes the next Hakan?   Seems like they are a fitting pair, but that doesn't make it a happy pair.  
Yeah it’s a real depressing movie. There is no possible escape for either at this point. 

I had joined Prime this weekend cuz i thought it was on there & my free month would cover that & Noirvember, but it wasn't. I'll rent it tonite or tomorrow.

A case could be made that Eli targeted Oskar as a possible replacement for Hakan, but initially there was no need for that.  I would add that given how things went sideways with Hakan,  there were probably enough other botched attempts that in her experience she knew she had to plan ahead for when she had to relocate quickly and replace her caretaker that she had to plan for such contingencies as a matter of survival. 

As for Oskar, yes he was a perfect choice for Eli in that he was an outcast/loner, but I think that the friendship she offers him makes him happy and is a better choice for him than the path he was on when they met, even though it means he's going to be murdering people for the rest of his life. I think the bond they have is genuine, even though it comes from very different places and has very different meanings to each of them.

A case could be made that Eli targeted Oskar as a possible replacement for Hakan, but initially there was no need for that.  I would add that given how things went sideways with Hakan,  there were probably enough other botched attempts that in her experience she knew she had to plan ahead for when she had to relocate quickly and replace her caretaker that she had to plan for such contingencies as a matter of survival. 

As for Oskar, yes he was a perfect choice for Eli in that he was an outcast/loner, but I think that the friendship she offers him makes him happy and is a better choice for him than the path he was on when they met, even though it means he's going to be murdering people for the rest of his life. I think the bond they have is genuine, even though it comes from very different places and has very different meanings to each of them.
I'm not sure it was intentional at all, I mean - why would she target a 12 year old boy to help with the killings.  I just think that over the course of the film it seemed like Hakan was becoming inept or his heart wasn't in it anymore and a replacement was probably going to be needed.  

Another thing I love about this film and what I imagine a lesser film (can't remember how much the American version did the following) wouldn't have the restraint to do, and that's try to force feed us backstory.  Unless I missed it, they never said how old Eli was (in vampire years), how long she had  been with Hakan, WTF was up with the no genitalia thing, etc..   I know some these details are in the book along with others (Hakan was a pedophile), but I like it more when movies leave these details for us to wrestle with.  It make it more creepy to think about it Eli is 150 years old vs just was turned a few years ago, and it make it more unsettling that we don't know.   I also appreciate the vampire movies more when they are represented like this, not the hypnotic sexy vampires we see too much.  Eli is more like a feral cat.  

Users who are viewing this thread