What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Movie Club: We're Getting the Band Back Together: Metallica vs Nina Simone Movie Docs (3 Viewers)

I currently have

• Netflix

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Amazon Prime

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • HBO Max

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Hulu

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Disney+

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Criterion

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • TCM Chanel

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
thx for slammin me back into @jdoggydogg on QT first thing. havent ate H8ful Eight yet - should be fun.

ETA: at least Tarantino hasn't done the soul-revue version of Almost Famous yet....
lol I thought of you when that pick was made. Actually, I'm more excited to see movies I've never seen, so I'd be fine without any QT movies on the agenda. 

I'll give this a try.  Never seen either, although I had M7 confused with The Wild Bunch for some reason, which I thought was a bit overrated.

Loved Seven Samurai,  so looking forward to this, if I can carve out the time.

It’s broken down into 50ish minute episodes 

I didnt watch it all together.  Best to break it into pieces.  They separate it out into episodes 
I know, just humorous to me that I will be watching a movie in it's longer version that I didn't like in the first place.  I will for sure break it up a little, and actually liked they at they did that on NF with the extended version.  

I'll give this a try.  Never seen either, although I had M7 confused with The Wild Bunch for some reason, which I thought was a bit overrated.

Loved Seven Samurai,  so looking forward to this, if I can carve out the time.
There's a definite line connecting The Magnificent 7 60 --> The Great Escape 63 --> The Dirty Dozen 67 --> The Wild Bunch 69

It was it's own kind of 60s action movie sub genre of a disparate group of guys coming together for one big task. 

There's a definite line connecting The Magnificent 7 60 --> The Great Escape 63 --> The Dirty Dozen 67 --> The Wild Bunch 69

It was it's own kind of 60s action movie sub genre of a disparate group of guys coming together for one big task. 
No heist?

Just that usually when a disparate group of people come together to get something done it’s usually involving a heist of some sort. Just a generalized joke, that’s all.
Oh yeah, there is definitely the hesit genre. Oceans 11 actually came out the same year as Mag7 however it lacks all the violence and guns that we typically see in the subgenre I am referring to. Also there's women in Ocean's 11 which seems to have not really been allowed in the 60s sort of good guys with guns movies. 

I talked about this in the Western thread but the 1950s were a transitional period in the structure of the Western.  Narrative focus shifted from a solitary hero driven by justice or vengeance to a group of professionals taking on a mission to defend society for money, love or friendship. 

Berkeley professor Will Wright developed this thesis in his book Sixguns and Society.  He pinpointed Rio Bravo as the movie that cast the new mold.  He argued that "the social values of justice, order and peaceful domesticity were replaced by a commitment to strength, skill, enjoyment of the battle and masculine companionship".  It's been a long time since I read the book; I vaguely remember him trying to tie this evolution to societal changes in post-WWII America but I think a simpler explanation is that screenwriters adapted plot structures from war and heist movies which were very popular in the 50s.

July Movie Club Double Feature 

Jazz gets called the greatest American art form a lot but to be perfectly honest, it's the Western.  - @Eephus

So to celebrate the upcoming American b-day, we will checkout two numerically titled westerns about bounty hunters. 

1960: The Magnificent Seven

7 gunman are hired to protect a small town from bandits 

Directed by John Sturges, Starring Yul Brenner, Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson and Eli Wallach. 

Streaming on Amazon Prime 

2015: The Hateful Eight

A bounty hunter and his prisoner find shelter from a winter storm  in a cabin inhabited by a collection of nefarious characters.

Directed by Quentin Tarantino, Starring Samuel Jackson, Kurt Russell, Jennifer Jason Leigh 

Streaming on Netflix (there is also an extended mini-series so make sure you choose  original movie) 

Discussion for the movies will open up July 15. That gives about 3.5 weeks and clears us past the 4th of July holiday week. 
Not sure if I mentioned it here, but I will be hosting the monthly double feature on my home network and will be available for download for those of us who don't have cable, pay services, etc..  PM me a request and I will give you the URL and grant you access. I only ask that you download it through a web browser or file manager and NOT stream it directly from my network

O

Not sure if I mentioned it here, but I will be hosting the monthly double feature on my home network and will be available for download for those of us who don't have cable, pay services, etc..  PM me a request and I will give you the URL and grant you access. I only ask that you download it through a web browser or file manager and NOT stream it directly from my network

O
How are you getting ahold of the movies? Or should I not worry about that lol

I had a film professor in college that said you could determine the national mood by comparing how Westerns do at the box office vs. how Mafia movies do. Both are quintessentially "American" genres. And in times of national prosperity, people want to see the themes of justice, law & order, and rugged individualism and flock to westerns to watch people make their own fortune through hard work and determination. By contrast, when there's national discontent, gangster movies flourish with themes about getting one over on society, beating The Man, flouting the rules, getting revenge, and winning by any means necessary... getting rich quickly through crime & violence.

Great Depression? James Cagney and the heyday of gangster movies in the 30s

Post-war victory? Roy Rogers and the Lone Ranger dominated the 1950s

Watergate? The Godfather & Godfather 2 took over in the 1970s.

I found it an interesting way of looking at things.
I think a lot of the decline of gangster movies in the 1930s had to do with the putting in place of the production code.  So many of the greats were before that -- Public Enemy, Little Caesar, Scarface.  After the code, the focus shifted from glamorizing violence to glamorizing law and order.

I think a lot of the decline of gangster movies in the 1930s had to do with the putting in place of the production code.  So many of the greats were before that -- Public Enemy, Little Caesar, Scarface.  After the code, the focus shifted from glamorizing violence to glamorizing law and order.
Very true.  The Hays Code had a huge impact on a number of different film genres.  Westerns were relatively unaffected.  They were a Hollywood staple in silent or sound, pre-code or after.

I can't think of any Western anti-heros before WWII.

Haven't read all of the posts so sorry if this was already posted

Magnificent 7 streaming on Amazon prime video (until 6/30) 

Hateful 8 streaming on Netflix 

Justwatch.com is a great site to see where movies are streaming

Last edited by a moderator:

O
PM sent.

I guess that bolded is important, and i hope everyone catches that.  I guess i am for sure watching that one first.  

That is a bit of a pain- we picked Mag7 because it was on Amazon. I didn't realize it was going off so soon though. 

It was great wasnt it?  If you want to laugh, pour a glass of your favorite spirit and then watch the new one. It plays like a fan fiction version. 
It would have been greater to me if I wasn't so jaded by all movies I've seen that either took their cues from this one, or were made as a sort of response to it. All I will say is one of the more bittersweet takeaways for me was that it was an example of a simpler time of moviemaking. Note I didn't say simpler time in society/culture.  Those are different things to me.

It would have been greater to me if I wasn't so jaded by all movies I've seen that either took their cues from this one, or were made as a sort of response to it. All I will say is one of the more bittersweet takeaways for me was that it was an example of a simpler time of moviemaking. Note I didn't say simpler time in society/culture.  Those are different things to me.
Yeah really was a different time- can a movie be sincere anymore or does it have to be shaded with 10 levels of irony?

Yeah really was a different time- can a movie be sincere anymore or does it have to be shaded with 10 levels of irony?
It seems like now there has to be a socio-political statement to make a movie transcendent.

I don't think this gives away anything: Before this movie, Rio Bravo was the only western made before I was born that I had seen start to finish, and while there were maybe a couple of similar plot points, I felt the two, while both being set in the old west, really were so different that they couldn't compare but rather to me they stand side-by-side as equally great and demonstrate the how this same 'genre' can tell vastly yet equally rich different stories. 

It seems like now there has to be a socio-political statement to make a movie transcendent.

I don't think this gives away anything: Before this movie, Rio Bravo was the only western made before I was born that I had seen start to finish, and while there were maybe a couple of similar plot points, I felt the two, while both being set in the old west, really were so different that they couldn't compare but rather to me they stand side-by-side as equally great and demonstrate the how this same 'genre' can tell vastly yet equally rich different stories. 
There were plenty of “message” pictures back then and actually Rio Bravo sort of was. It was a rebuttal to High Noon. 

High Noon is awesome. Even if Gary Cooper was way too old for Grace Kelly.
I have this like/dislike thing for Cooper.  I know that it was common for actors to basically play the same in every film they starred in, but to me, Cooper always came off more wooden than many of the other 'big' stars of his time. To me, the worst was casting him as Howard Roark in The Fountainhead, but then again, I don't know that any of the cast matched/did much with their roles in that one.  All that one really did for me was demonstrate what it looks like when a director has clearly been left in the dust by his craft.

I have this like/dislike thing for Cooper.  I know that it was common for actors to basically play the same in every film they starred in, but to me, Cooper always came off more wooden than many of the other 'big' stars of his time. To me, the worst was casting him as Howard Roark in The Fountainhead, but then again, I don't know that any of the cast matched/did much with their roles in that one.  All that one really did for me was demonstrate what it looks like when a director has clearly been left in the dust by his craft.
Yeah Cooper isn’t my fave either and I think High Noon is overrated but worth seeing.

Hateful 8 was great.  Watched it a couple times.  I reccomend  the extended version on netflix .

I have seen the newer mag 7 but not the original.   Will check it out

I just looked at this.  I will go this route, but damn - about 3hrs 20min?  If I remember right, that's about 30 more minutes?? 

I didnt watch it all together.  Best to break it into pieces.  They separate it out into episodes 
Just watched this version last night. I liked the extra scenes that didn't make it in the original release.

Users who are viewing this thread