What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Movie Club: We're Getting the Band Back Together: Metallica vs Nina Simone Movie Docs (7 Viewers)

I currently have

• Netflix

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Amazon Prime

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • HBO Max

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Hulu

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Disney+

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Criterion

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • TCM Chanel

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
Just saw the title change. First movie = The Muppets (2011)?
Isn't there a poster here who absolutely loves The Muppets? Just has a totally irrational love for The Muppets? The name might be something like OTC Lifter or OBGYN Wifer or TCBY Liker?

Not sure if there are quality options, but we could also consider things like Peacock and Tubi that are free (if people are willing to put up with ads).  
I personally will not put up with commercials. 

Isn't there a poster here who absolutely loves The Muppets? Just has a totally irrational love for The Muppets? The name might be something like OTC Lifter or OBGYN Wifer or TCBY Liker?

I personally will not put up with commercials. 
Not the best options, I'll admit.  Just remember that there were very few weirdos that still use the library and/or Kanopy through their library.  

No streaming here, but I get library dvd's often and have a very large collection too
It's pretty amazing now that libraries are the keepers of physical media. 

Not the best options, I'll admit.  Just remember that there were very few weirdos that still use the library and/or Kanopy through their library.  
I just hate commercials and will not stand for them. Ads are the worst. I was on Youtube today and saw an ad for PF Changs that literally said it was "the pride of Asia". 

I think your local library is better than mine. I don’t have access to Kanopy through mine, and physical DVD stock is pretty limited (pulling up all DVD titles in the library catalog only brings up 240 titles for me, and it looks like 50% are teaching teenagers about the benefits of birth control or stuff of that ilk).

I think your local library is better than mine. I don’t have access to Kanopy through mine, and physical DVD stock is pretty limited (pulling up all DVD titles in the library catalog only brings up 240 titles for me, and it looks like 50% are teaching teenagers about the benefits of birth control or stuff of that ilk).
Damn, I expected better from La Mancha. 

Damn, I expected better from La Mancha. 
Alright, I think I need to scratch that. For some reason bringing up DVDs on the website automatically put some kind of weird filter on. I removed that filter and see a lot more available now (and more than just educational type stuff).

(I am still correct on no Kanopy access though.)

I will consider myself lucky then.  Yeah, the system pools all the Madison area libraries,  so there are 1000s of blurays.  

I will consider myself lucky then.  Yeah, the system pools all the Madison area libraries,  so there are 1000s of blurays.  

Madison has always been a good town for movies. The campus film societies were big when I was there. There were 6-10 different films screened every night in various halls around campus. That's where I got my education about classic cinema.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here I have a main library which is huge and there are 8 branches. All have dvd's and they can be delivered to my local branch when requested. I just put dvd into the search on the website and 36745 results came up.  2888 for blu ray.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here I have a main library which is huge and there are 8 branches. All have dvd's and they can be delivered to my local branch when requested. I just put dvd into the search on the website and 36745 results came up.  2888 for blu ray.
All of Michigan's libraries are connected in a similar way. They will ship whatever book or movie to whatever library you want.

@KarmaPolice and I were thinking of bringing this back for at least November. With the recent Velvet Underground doc, the popularity of the music drafts and of course the upcoming Beatles doc we figured...let's really get the band together. 

Who is in for a theme of 2 music docs? 

Basically tomorrow I’ll post the movies KP and I chose. Then we watch them and discuss them here over the next couple week. 
Okey dokey.  Of course, the impending holidays may impact this a bit.  That and the bingeing of Locke & Key, the movie releases, the Hawkeye stuff, etc.

Alright, let's do this.   I am sure @Ilov80s won't mind me posting the double feature.   I think he said it, but we started riffing on themes around getting the family/band back together.   That in turn morphed into thinking about music documentaries.    We each picked one, and it will be 0 surprise who took what.  Along with the genre of music, I liked the theme of the struggle to keep the band together.    So for homework we have 2 music documentaries that are currently on NF:

What Happened, Miss Simone? 

Metallica:  Some Kind of Monster

:popcorn:  

Alright, let's do this.   I am sure @Ilov80s won't mind me posting the double feature.   I think he said it, but we started riffing on themes around getting the family/band back together.   That in turn morphed into thinking about music documentaries.    We each picked one, and it will be 0 surprise who took what.  Along with the genre of music, I liked the theme of the struggle to keep the band together.    So for homework we have 2 music documentaries that are currently on NF:

Thanks response seemed quite minimal so I wasn't sure if we had interest. I am excited for both. 

Thanks response seemed quite minimal so I wasn't sure if we had interest. I am excited for both. 
We will see, I guess.  Maybe try this and open it up more next month for input from the gallery on themes people would be interested in?    If it doesn't stick, so be it.  

We will see, I guess.  Maybe try this and open it up more next month for input from the gallery on themes people would be interested in?    If it doesn't stick, so be it.  
Hopefully we can get some trickle in from the music draft. Metallica was the 1.01 choice in the draft! 

Surprisingly I ve never watched Some Kind of Monster. Friends who did told me it made them hate the band so kinda killed my interest. Will try and squeeze it in and participate

Surprisingly I ve never watched Some Kind of Monster. Friends who did told me it made them hate the band so kinda killed my interest. Will try and squeeze it in and participate
For me it was the crappy albums they started to put out.  ;)  

I know I saw it long ago, but don't remember a ton about it besides James and Lars butting heads, and a vague recollection of one of them sitting down with Mustaine.  

For me it was the crappy albums they started to put out.  ;)  

I know I saw it long ago, but don't remember a ton about it besides James and Lars butting heads, and a vague recollection of one of them sitting down with Mustaine.  
Yeah, the fact St Anger sucked so bad didn't make me want to see it either. 

I haven't seen it either but it's often praised as one of the better rock docs ever made. A lucky accident too as it was supposed to just be about the making of the album and instead captured the band totally melting down. 

I haven't seen it either but it's often praised as one of the better rock docs ever made. A lucky accident too as it was supposed to just be about the making of the album and instead captured the band totally melting down. 
 Correct.  I wouldn't have taken it if it wasn't at least highly rated, and like you said it showed up on quite a few lists when I was scanning through.   

I am quite interested in the Simone doc too.  I know very little about her or her music.  I have 4 days in a row off this week, and am currently feeling like crap, so the mental plan is to knock that one out in the next couple days.  

I am quite interested in the Simone doc too.  I know very little about her or her music.  I have 4 days in a row off this week, and am currently feeling like crap, so the mental plan is to knock that one out in the next couple days.  
Besides being widely available on NF, I chose the Simone doc because I find her very fascinating as she was a great artist, Civil Rights activist and fiery personality. Despite being one of the talented artists of the 1900s, she might have missed some of the demographics of FBG so I thought it was possible a lot of people might not be overly familiar. I haven't seen it yet but it seemed to have pretty favorable reviews. 

I have no streaming. But,

What Happened, Miss Simone? - DVD available from library.

Metallica:  Some Kind of Monster - No dvd at library. They do have this: 
Metallica : this monster lives : the inside story of Some kind of monster / Joe Berlinger with Greg Milner

Berlinger, Joe.

BOOK | St. Martin's Press | 2004 | 1st ed.

i was hoping that one of em would be the Sparks doc, cuz i have as many things to say about them as they have  songs, but i'm glad i avoided the Simone doc, which i would have scarfed up a decade ago, til now. didnt even know Some Kind of Monster was on NF. good job, fellas.

i was hoping that one of em would be the Sparks doc, cuz i have as many things to say about them as they have  songs, but i'm glad i avoided the Simone doc, which i would have scarfed up a decade ago, til now. didnt even know Some Kind of Monster was on NF. good job, fellas.
This was the 3rd we were talking about.  

Watch Summer of Soul if you haven't already.  Not about her, of course, but an amazing performance.

I've seen one of these docs already, but I'm fine to watch it again.  And also to watch the Nina Simone one.

Watch Summer of Soul if you haven't already.  Not about her, of course, but an amazing performance.

I've seen one of these docs already, but I'm fine to watch it again.  And also to watch the Nina Simone one.
I was going to..... then you laughed at my Madonna pick! ;)  

I was going to..... then you laughed at my Madonna pick! ;)  

I haven't been reading the picks closely, but did Radiohead already get taken?  I guess I thought that was your obvious pick.  It's not that I don't like her or the pick overall.  Are you doing some weird shtick?

I haven't been reading the picks closely, but did Radiohead already get taken?  I guess I thought that was your obvious pick.  It's not that I don't like her or the pick overall.  Are you doing some weird shtick?
Yes/no.   I was leaning towards just female artists, didn't think Madonna got enough love in the drafts, got a little high and started listening to Like a Prayer, and.....   It is my favorite song of hers though.  

And no - Radiohead hadn't been taken yet.  

This is a great recommendation, Summer of Soul was excellent 

Users who are viewing this thread