What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jail or a deserted island (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
Watching LOST with my wife since she's never seen it and it got me thinking about something.  Now, I'm not making it like the scenario in the show because I think that would be a lot easier choice.  So read the question fully before your reply.

You are given a prison sentence of Life In Jail.  No chance of ever getting out.  On your flight to prison, the plane crashes and you are the only survivor.  You are on an island that is a couple square miles.  There is wild life, fresh water, and wild fruit growing.  For the most part, it's a fairly safe island apart from normal island life.  You are 28 years old.

There's literally only one chance of being rescued and if it doesn't happen, you'll be assumed dead and spend the rest of your life alone on the island.  

Do you live your life alone on the island, free?  Or do you get rescued and spend your life in a maximum security prison?  In essence, both a technically prison sentences.  

• Thinking
Reactions: Ned
Man if only there was a lifetime supply of peanut butter/liverwurst sandwiches and a satellite phone with a minute of charge, I'd be all over the island.

I don't think I could deal with isolation like that however.  There is a reason that solitary confinement is considered punishment in a prison.

I assume the option of building a boat and getting off and ending up in some other country is out of the question?  If so, I'm going back to prison.

But if I'm ever on an island like that, I spend a while figuring out stability of food/shelter/water and then start figuring out a way to build a boat.  That alone would both sustain me mentally and then limit my time there to a couple of years at most.

If I don't make it anywhere and die out at sea, I'm good with that, but no way do I just live alone on an island for the rest of my life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Deserted island sounds great, for maybe a year or so. Then I think it would be a pretty quick descent into going crazy and probably start looking for a high cliff to jump off of. 

I imagine those first few years in prison being pretty damn terrible but eventually it becomes your new normal.

Man if only there was a lifetime supply of peanut butter/liverwurst sandwiches and a satellite phone with a minute of charge, I'd be all over the island.

I don't think I could deal with isolation like that however.  There is a reason that solitary confinement is considered punishment in a prison.
And not only being alone, but not being able to talk to loved ones.

Of course not getting shived or raped is also nice.  

I assume the option of building a boat and getting off and ending up in some other country is out of the question?  If so, I'm going back to prison.

But if I'm ever on an island like that, I spend a while figuring out stability of food/shelter/water and then start figuring out a way to build a boat.  That alone would both sustain me mentally and then limit my time there to a couple of years at most.
You are wanted worldwide and every country has agreed to extradite you.

Do I have my wife and kids in this situation, and if so, do I ever get to speak with them while I'm in jail? Because that's the only thing I can think of that would make me choose jail over the island. 

Then again, they'd probably have a better life if I'm on the island, so even that reason might be selfish of me. 

I am way too soft for prison, would much prefer to try the survival thing alone (and most likely fail) than live in fear just for the sake of human interaction 

Do I have my wife and kids in this situation, and if so, do I ever get to speak with them while I'm in jail? Because that's the only thing I can think of that would make me choose jail over the island. 

Then again, they'd probably have a better life if I'm on the island, so even that reason might be selfish of me. 
No.  That's the big issue.  You are alone on the island.  But if you were in jail, you could still talk to them when they visit.  Or even write to them.  

I'd still take that shot.  Go on the run as long as I can, try to remain in countries with poor infrastructure where I couldn't be identified and lay low, living as a vagabond surviving only on my charm and good looks.

I used to go deep into the woods of KY every weekend or extended work break. I came to love the wild; even when alone.

Prison is bad enough in its confinement from the outside world, but the biggest thorn in my side is the absolute CONTROL and OBSERVATION that you are under 24/7. I cannot deal with that part of it.

Gimme the Island.

Deserted island sounds great, for maybe a year or so. Then I think it would be a pretty quick descent into going crazy and probably start looking for a high cliff to jump off of. 

I imagine those first few years in prison being pretty damn terrible but eventually it becomes your new normal.
This

What did I do? If its some horrible crime that will lead to worse treatment than usual in jail, Ill take my chances on the island. If I swindled some money out of "the man" or committed some crime that is respected in jail, Ill take jail.

It's actually the best wifi on the planet.  100 times better than anywhere else.  But unfortunately you don't have any wireless devices or any materials to McGyver one together.
What if I have a wifi receiver implanted in my brain prior to getting lost?

I may or may not already have one - not gonna spoil it tho.

I would rather be free on a decently sized island and do what I want than be caged like an animal surrounded by animals.  

I would rather be free on a decently sized island and do what I want than be caged like an animal surrounded by animals.  
Which would be what?  It would be a continual fight for survival, time lounging on the beach drinking out of a coconut with a straw that washed up on shore will be few and far between.

So you’re saying there’s absolutely no chance of stumbling upon a nubile island girl clad only in a coconut cup bra and grass skirt who will view me as a god descended from heaven? 

Island all day and night.  I will survive.  As long as I know how to love, I know I'll stay alive.  

Which would be what?  It would be a continual fight for survival, time lounging on the beach drinking out of a coconut with a straw that washed up on shore will be few and far between.
Neither scenario sounds appealing but I still think I want my freedom.  The island life would be difficult.  No music and no comfortable mattress would suck.  Limited food menu would suck.  No woman would be terrible.  

I think island.  Because there would always be hope right? Hope can be powerful.

If it was truly a jail sentence, life without parole, then there would be no hope of ever leaving

Neither scenario sounds appealing but I still think I want my freedom.  The island life would be difficult.  No music and no comfortable mattress would suck.  Limited food menu would suck.  No woman would be terrible.  
There's no women in jail, either.

Are we talking a minimum security prison where we can play Xbox and smoke weed, or Rikers? 

This isn't really apples to apples as the island likely won't have gangs, shanks, and butt rapes.

:goodposting: can't believe this is even a question
Loneliness is a powerful thing.  If I knew without a doubt that I would be alone my entire life on that island, I would have to choose prison.

My real life choice would be the island, but only because I would have the hope/drive to get off eventually or die trying.

Users who are viewing this thread