What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Man On Death Bed Deeply Regrets... (1 Viewer)

Lot of people here in the PF seem like they heading in this direction. I got tricked out cause when I looked at the link I didn't see the onion.

Life is short.

Things that lure you into wasting your time have to be really good at tricking you. An example that will be familiar to a lot of people is arguing online. When someone contradicts you, they're in a sense attacking you. Sometimes pretty overtly. Your instinct when attacked is to defend yourself. But like a lot of instincts, this one wasn't designed for the world we now live in. Counterintuitive as it feels, it's better most of the time not to defend yourself. Otherwise these people are literally taking your life.

Arguing online is only incidentally addictive. There are more dangerous things than that. As I've written before, one byproduct of technical progress is that things we like tend to become more addictive. Which means we will increasingly have to make a conscious effort to avoid addictions — to stand outside ourselves and ask "is this how I want to be spending my time?"

I love being with my family. I try to spend as much time with them as I can. 

But I also enjoy discussing, and arguing important issues online. I don’t like the sniping or trolling or name calling, and the tribalism can be especially annoying but there is at times some deep discussion that goes on here. And l love that. I won’t ever apologize for the time I spend here. 

I love being with my family. I try to spend as much time with them as I can. 

But I also enjoy discussing, and arguing important issues online. I don’t like the sniping or trolling or name calling, and the tribalism can be especially annoying but there is at times some deep discussion that goes on here. And l love that. I won’t ever apologize for the time I spend here. 
You still at work?  What's your family doing right now?

I read someone describing real life (as opposed to online life) as being “in the meat space” the other day.  That was odd. 

My daughters are at the gym. My wife is out shopping. I’m at home watching the Angels. 
Angels lost. They have one of the best offenses in all of baseball at this point but their pitching is just atrocious. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course people care about other families. 
I don’t think there should be much concern with another posters family in that way. If I’m home or at work or wherever...it’s not anyone’s business but mine where my family is at that moment or what they are doing.  

Edit:  this was not a commentary on your post that started the topic...but a comment made towards another specific poster after and things I’ve seen pointedness at poster’s families lately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe Bryant said:
Of course. It's a joke. 

And the point is to argue less. 
 The point could also be to not spend so much time online and live your life in the meat space.  

It used to be that debating (arguing) could be fun and good natured.  Now it’s so toxic as no one wants to give folks the benefit of the doubt - I’m guilty too.

I guess some people don’t get the whole point of this thread.  They still like to argue but why would I expect anything else. 
I get the point of this thread but I think it’s based on a rather false stereotype. The attractiveness of this site and others like it is that I can type these posts on my phone, which means that I can be on this forum if I want to wherever I happen to be. So it really doesn’t interfere with anything I’m happening to be doing. In addition there’s no time commitment. I’m pretty much regarded as the most prolific poster here, but typically I spend only a few minutes here at a time, at most 10-15 minutes if I’m engaged in a discussion. Then I go off to do whatever I’m doing in real life and I might return here 30 minutes later or an hour or 3 hours, depending on what I’m doing. 

My point is that being here or anywhere on the internet really doesn’t take away from my real life. It’s a form of entertainment. If I didn’t have it, I’d choose a different form of entertainment. Or Id be more bored I guess. 

I get the point of this thread but I think it’s based on a rather false stereotype. The attractiveness of this site and others like it is that I can type these posts on my phone, which means that I can be on this forum if I want to wherever I happen to be. So it really doesn’t interfere with anything I’m happening to be doing. In addition there’s no time commitment. I’m pretty much regarded as the most prolific poster here, but typically I spend only a few minutes here at a time, at most 10-15 minutes if I’m engaged in a discussion. Then I go off to do whatever I’m doing in real life and I might return here 30 minutes later or an hour or 3 hours, depending on what I’m doing. 

My point is that being here or anywhere on the internet really doesn’t take away from my real life. It’s a form of entertainment. If I didn’t have it, I’d choose a different form of entertainment. Or Id be more bored I guess. 
And my point...as I have edited into my reply to Joe wasn't just about his thread topic but about posters making comments pointed at people's specific families.  That used to be quite frowned upon but Ive seen it brought up more lately. Often times pointed at you.  I just don't think its anyone's business what your family thinks of you posting here, what your family is doing while you post her or really much of anything about your family unless you bring your family up to discuss them.

And my point...as I have edited into my reply to Joe wasn't just about his thread topic but about posters making comments pointed at people's specific families.  That used to be quite frowned upon but Ive seen it brought up more lately. Often times pointed at you.  I just don't think its anyone's business what your family thinks of you posting here, what your family is doing while you post her or really much of anything about your family unless you bring your family up to discuss them.
Just stop.  It was a simple harmless question.  If Tim wanted to answer he could (and did).  If he didn't want to answer he could have ignored.  Why are you so concerned that you've made 4-5 posts about it already?

It’s all good.  Enjoy your Friday with or without your family.  

Joe Bryant said:
What is false? 

Do you think anyone on their death bed seriously wishes they'd spent more time arguing on Facebook?
Not to speak for Tim, but I think the stereotype that arguing with others is inherently bad is false. 

The Declaration of Independence is a result of arguing with others. Facebook is just a forum. Not anywhere near as formal as a congress, and as such far less productive, but that just shows that the informality of the forum is the problem, and not the arguing itself. 

Not to speak for Tim, but I think the stereotype that arguing with others is inherently bad is false. 

The Declaration of Independence is a result of arguing with others. Facebook is just a forum. Not anywhere near as formal as a congress, and as such far less productive, but that just shows that the informality of the forum is the problem, and not the arguing itself. 
No doubt.

don't think anyone is suggesting discussion and working through problems and disagreements to create something worthwhile is negative. Especially not creating a document to frame a country.

I'm suggesting at the end of one's life, nobody wishes they'd spent more time arguing on Facebook. 

No doubt.

don't think anyone is suggesting discussion and working through problems and disagreements to create something worthwhile is negative. Especially not creating a document to frame a country.

I'm suggesting at the end of one's life, nobody wishes they'd spent more time arguing on Facebook. 
But that's a worthless point. Nobody on their death bed will wish they spent more time playing Candy Crush either. They're both time wasters and provide something more than being bored. That's their value. 

I think the people who think this is some valuable point take what is being posted on facebook way too seriously. 

Ran errands earlier. Currently on my phone while my wife watches something on her laptop and I hang out with our macaw. Marti says hi. Doing some commenting. So multitasking away my day off. No regrets.

Read this in the voice of Jim Jeffries

- I should argue more on social media. The alternative? Spend time with my wife? She's just "do this, do that, nag, nag, nag". I'd rather be on Facebook

Ran errands earlier. Currently on my phone while my wife watches something on her laptop and I hang out with our macaw. Marti says hi. Doing some commenting. So multitasking away my day off. No regrets.
What a complete waste of your life this post was. You'll completely regret this moment on your death bed. 

Users who are viewing this thread