What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

25th Smack-off (1 Viewer)

rome needs to just pull the plug on it already.  there are a couple decent callers (brad is pretty funny, leff decent when he avoids the lame gimmicks) but it sucks major ### overall and it’s embarrassing. the gimmicks and shtick are out of control (yes i understand you could  have said this about rome himself for a while now). bottom line, i would be embarrassed to be associated with it if i were rome. 

while i’m here and ranting to the ~3 people on this board who listen to rome, he really seems to have lost a step in the last couple years. routinely stutters/loses his place, very obvious he’s reading from a script. seems to have fully kowtowed to the PC police now. used to be i would make sure to have 12-3 clear to listen to rome. now i skip it more often than not. 

while i’m here and ranting to the ~3 people on this board who listen to rome, he really seems to have lost a step in the last couple years. routinely stutters/loses his place, very obvious he’s reading from a script. seems to have fully kowtowed to the PC police now. used to be i would make sure to have 12-3 clear to listen to rome. now i skip it more often than not. 
You're so astute, and I mean that genuinely. You also don't post much anymore, which you should. But what did you ever get out of Rome? He was always all shtick -- often, if not almost, all bad.

My pick is the Chevy Silverado. He always brings the sick takes.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're so astute, and I mean that genuinely. You also don't post much anymore, which you should. But what did you ever get out of Rome? He was always all shtick -- often, if not almost, all bad.
appreciate that.  I liked Rome when he didn't focus so much on sports takes, or telling me who was good or bad or who would win, but just finding humor in things.  to me, sports talk radio never really drew me with insight about sports because it's almost always bad insight.  Rome would spend an hour making fun of Michael Jackson or mix in humor if he was talking sports.  I get your sentiment though.  every friend I've tried to get into Rome hated it, and I can understand why.  

appreciate that.  I liked Rome when he didn't focus so much on sports takes, or telling me who was good or bad or who would win, but just finding humor in things.  to me, sports talk radio never really drew me with insight about sports because it's almost always bad insight.  Rome would spend an hour making fun of Michael Jackson or mix in humor if he was talking sports.  I get your sentiment though.  every friend I've tried to get into Rome hated it, and I can understand why.  
I was a regular rome listener back in the day and tuned into the smackoff the other day.  Seemed like the same Rome to me, it was actually like I got transported in a time machine back before podcast and unlimited data.  I'm not sure what / or who you are comparing him to, but radio has always sucked.  That PC stuff, "remember to use the hashtag #smackoff2019". That's what he has to do to be on radio these days.  I'm sure he could strip it down and do podcast / YouTube for a fraction of what he makes now.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Like playing the GIVEMEBACKMYSON! Clip 100 times in a row...those were the days

i probably haven’t listened to him in 10+ years

He got cancelled over a year ago over here (then later picked up at an FM station. FM sports is just weird. If I flip to FM, it's for music. Which also mostly sucks on the radio). Is it still: shtick, infomercial for his podcast, bad caller, infomercial for his podcast, awesome interview, infomercial for his podcast, bad caller, shtick, ect...?

I like Rome but don’t feel the need to try to catch his show anymore.  I still listen but don’t go out of my way to do so.  I did listen to most of the smackoff and thought it was kind of lame.  Brad was good but not nearly as good as past calls but neither was anyone else.  

I used to listen him all the time back in the day, particularly because I had a job that had me in the car between locations part of the day. I haven't listened to him for probably a dozen years. 

He got cancelled over a year ago over here (then later picked up at an FM station. FM sports is just weird. If I flip to FM, it's for music. Which also mostly sucks on the radio). Is it still: shtick, infomercial for his podcast, bad caller, infomercial for his podcast, awesome interview, infomercial for his podcast, bad caller, shtick, ect...?
that's about right, yes

Rome was funny in the beginning, when he was less accommodating to athletes.   His drug test schtick was great.  But he slowly sold out.  Better to hob nob with the athletes than be the hero of Cliff in Cleveland. 

Rome was funny in the beginning, when he was less accommodating to athletes.   His drug test schtick was great.  But he slowly sold out.  Better to hob nob with the athletes than be the hero of Cliff in Cleveland. 
well, yeah.  one of those moves sees you end up with a lasting career, making millions and the other has you making local appearances at ####ty sports bars 4 nights a week for the extra $50 bonus per appearance.

Rome is the worst. 

Repeat what you just said as though it's so important that it deserves to be said twice.

Give the longgggggggg pauses after every few sentences - to the point where I'm not sure if the radio went dead or not.  

Fawning callers that cringe worthy, much less the badly scripted smack-off contestants.  

I would have much preferred for Jim Everett to mangle him.  

Rome is the worst. 

Repeat what you just said as though it's so important that it deserves to be said twice.

Give the longgggggggg pauses after every few sentences - to the point where I'm not sure if the radio went dead or not.  

Fawning callers that cringe worthy, much less the badly scripted smack-off contestants.  

I would have much preferred for Jim Everett to mangle him.  
AGGGGGGGHGHGGGGGGH

THATS NOT A GOOD CALL (NAW!)

I DONT LIKE THAT CALL

NOT A VERY GOOD CALL

I think he still does a good interview but his typical stuff is more like a parody of what he used to be.  It's just way too over the top.

Users who are viewing this thread