What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shoes Off Or On In Your House? (1 Viewer)

Shoes Off Or On In Your House?

• Definitely On

Votes: 20 12.0%
  • Probably On

Votes: 22 13.2%
  • On The Fence

Votes: 10 6.0%
  • Probably Off

Votes: 41 24.6%
  • Definitely Off

Votes: 74 44.3%

• Total voters
I always have mine off in my house, mostly because it's more comfortable. Never ask others to take theirs off when in my home, though.

We recently got all new flooring. Main level is hard wood, basement is LVP, stairs to basement are commercial grade carpet; so all of that is no problem with shoes. We did new carpet upstairs and the stairs leading up. Our old carpet got to be so horrible that I'm now pretty over the top in my requirement for people in my family to take their shoes off when going upstairs. But, again, I wouldn't tell guests they have to take their shoes off. Guests pretty much never go up there anyway, so not a big deal.

Off for us, but with guests we don't care. I'd rather someone walk around with shoes on than have to smell their foot stink. Especially in the summer

If you ask me to take my shoes off, I'm good with that.  I do whatever you want.  But don't expect people to know your rules if you don't tell them.  

The rules in the article seem like common sense except for the bath mat one.  If you don't want people walking on something, a good idea is to not put it on the floor.  If you don't require people to remove their shoes when they come in, you should expect them to be stepping on everything that is on the floor.  So if you don't want mats stepped on, pick them the hell up.  It's like getting mad because someone stepped on a certain section of the rug you didn't tell them they weren't allowed to step on.  "What the hell, Bob?!?  No shoes on section F28 of the Family Room!  :angry: "

My shoes are always off. Usually people will ask because they'll see me in socks (and they'll see the shoes stacked next to the door).

If it's raining outside then I'll ask people to remove their shoes. Otherwise, I let people decide on their own.

I avoid this by never asking anyone over nor go to other people's houses - people suck.

Seriously though - first thing I do when I get home is take my shoes off in my closet - we don't have any kind of rule about doing it at the front door.  I just find it more comfortable.  I'm happy to comply with whatever someone wants in their home but as Sheikh said, just let me know.  I will say if I walk in to a house and there's pile/basket of shoes I will normally slip my off as I take that as a hint.

I'm super paranoid about foot odor, so I get a little antsy about taking them off at someone's house.

Unless I put my socks/shoes on in the last hour or two, there is a legit chance no one wants me to mine off.

Grew up in "shoes on" house, but ours is now "shoes off".  Guests can do what they like except for the pee and poop in the family room.  I draw the line there. 

Around here, it is virtually unknown to remove shoes in a home that you don't live in. Feels WAY too familiar. Kids can remove shoes at their grandparents, and people can remove shoes for using a swimming pool and such. That's pretty much it.

I thought the OP was about what I do in my own home, not about what people do in houses in general. I answered "Probably off", but should have answered "Definitely On".

I've asked this before on other boards:

It's interesting to me that snowy climates seem to cause more tracked-in dirt than rainy climates. I mean, walking into someone's home with wet shoes happens all the time. Sure, a floor mat helps, but nothing short of a good toweling-off is going to totally dry those shoes when you come in out of a downpour. 

Always off, but never ask my guests. The 15-20 pairs of footwear lying in the vestibule next to the door is a pretty solid hint for most guests.
But this is what I'm getting at.  This is something my wife would do.  She won't say what she wants, but wants others to pick up on the clues.  If you want them off, tell people.  People don't always get hints.  And then it makes it uncomfortable for everyone.  You want them off?  No problem.  I'll take them off.  You don't care?  Don't say anything.  But don't make people guess.  

And I'm not directing this at you.  I'm saying this to everyone.  Tell people what you want.  Don't make them guess.  It's a great rule to live by.

We've done this before I think.  In New York, if you're going to wear shoes in my house you might as well pee and crap on my floor.  
this. and I've peed AND crapped on nick's floor.

this is probably an urban/non-urban thing too. anywhere where you're walking around city sidewalks and/or public transportation... no way in hell you want to then bring that into your home. if you're driving from your home to work to lunch to home, whatever.

I grew up in the suburbs and we always wore our shoes inside. NYC, never. but some homes are lax about guests- levaing it up to them... which is our approach. if people ask, we say that we do, but it's up to them. most people take them off. 

I think it lines up with people who don't use umbrellas- which is far more bizarre to me. if you walk places, you use an umbrella- apparently some of the people who drive everywhere refuse this convenience.

eta: but nick is moving to the burbs... what then? WHAT THEN!?

Last edited by a moderator:
But this is what I'm getting at.  This is something my wife would do.  She won't say what she wants, but wants others to pick up on the clues.  If you want them off, tell people.  People don't always get hints.  And then it makes it uncomfortable for everyone.  You want them off?  No problem.  I'll take them off.  You don't care?  Don't say anything.  But don't make people guess.  

And I'm not directing this at you.  I'm saying this to everyone.  Tell people what you want.  Don't make them guess.  It's a great rule to live by.
I'm going to give you a little advice. There's a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball.

I get what you’re saying. New Yorkers (in general) are vehement shoes off types, and usually let you know before you’ve had a chance to close the door. That’s a bit much IMO. When I have people over their comfort is way more important. When we host BBQs or any kind of gathering, I spend virtually every minute attending to people or making/prepping something.

I’m def a shoes off person but don’t care to impose that on others. You wanna leave em on, no worries. Hey, maybe your feet stank & you’re doing me a solid.

:P

Goes triple if your house visitors aren't from the local area. There are huge, multi-state swaths of territory where shoe removal is simply not done.

and if it doesn't matter? 99% of our guests ask. those that don't, either take them off automatically or keep them on... both are fine for us. except for my ####### mother in law.

We take our shoes off in the garage before coming in.

If people come over and they ask if they should take them off, we will say something along the lines of "we do" and they often do. But we don't ask guests that don't bring it up first.

I always ask when visiting elsewhere.

this. and I've peed AND crapped on nick's floor.

this is probably an urban/non-urban thing too. anywhere where you're walking around city sidewalks and/or public transportation... no way in hell you want to then bring that into your home. if you're driving from your home to work to lunch to home, whatever.

I grew up in the suburbs and we always wore our shoes inside. NYC, never. but some homes are lax about guests- levaing it up to them... which is our approach. if people ask, we say that we do, but it's up to them. most people take them off. 

I think it lines up with people who don't use umbrellas- which is far more bizarre to me. if you walk places, you use an umbrella- apparently some of the people who drive everywhere refuse this convenience.

eta: but nick is moving to the burbs... what then? WHAT THEN!?
Nobody walks anywhere, Flop. Driveway to driveway, parking lot to parking lot. We’re the weirdos.

Getting into a car with a wet umbrella is pretty miserable -- during our storms, you WILL get soaking wet in the time it takes you to close and stow your umbrella in your vehicle. Plus, if you hurry and just throw your umbrella onto the shotgun seat, you've thoroughly wetted a good percentage of your car's interior. Hope there's no electronics in there.

Getting into a car with a wet umbrella is pretty miserable -- during our storms, you WILL get soaking wet in the time it takes you to close and stow your umbrella in your vehicle. Plus, if you hurry and just throw your umbrella onto the shotgun seat, you've thoroughly wetted a good percentage of your car's interior. Hope there's no electronics in there.
so the misery of getting into a car with a wet umbrella is more miserable than getting soaked? huh. it's an umbrella, not a bull in a china shop... but well, ok.

Would like to see a geographic plot of the answers.  In Minnesota, I think it is most common for people to remove shoes.  Six months of the year (seemingly) it is wet and snowy outside, or the snow is melting making a mess everywhere.  I don't want that stuff tracked all over my carpet.

I could see living in San Diego, wearing lightweight shoes all the time if they were comfortable enough.

Just always being in the habit of removing shoes (I can't think of one person's house I ever visit where people wear shoes in the house), I find the idea weird.  But, normal is whatever you get used to doing.

so the misery of getting into a car with a wet umbrella is more miserable than getting soaked? huh. it's an umbrella, not a bull in a china shop... but well, ok.
Depends on how far you have to walk to get to your car, and how hard its raining. I thought you were contrasting people routinely walking several long city blocks vs. people getting around by driving and not doing much walking.

Just always being in the habit of removing shoes (I can't think of one person's house I ever visit where people wear shoes in the house), I find the idea weird.  But, normal is whatever you get used to doing.
People pretty much everywhere typically remove shoes and get comfortable in their own homes, right?

I can read the bolded in two way -- what people do in their own homes vs. what people do when visiting other people's homes.

Would like to see a geographic plot of the answers.  In Minnesota, I think it is most common for people to remove shoes.  Six months of the year (seemingly) it is wet and snowy outside, or the snow is melting making a mess everywhere.  I don't want that stuff tracked all over my carpet.

I could see living in San Diego, wearing lightweight shoes all the time if they were comfortable enough.

I definitely think it's regional (mostly) - I've lived in Atlanta my entire life.  Growing up I never even heard of someone doing this.  Granted, we didn't have a lot of money growing up but now that we are more affluent and have more affluent friends we see it.  But it's still not very common.

MS/LA here. Our house is laminate wood flooring and tile, no carpet anywhere.  I wear steel toed boots all day at work.  Keep a pair of slip on brown shoes/loafers in my back seat, and I change shoes before I drive home (usually 45 min minimum drive depending where I am that day).  When I get home I go straight for the closet, take off the slip ons, and put on flip flops that I wear around the house.  I absolutely hate walking around barefoot, indoor or outdoors.  If I sit on the couch or a chair I'll slip the flip flops off but as soon as I get up they go back on. 

Work boots never go indoors, and I never wear anything inside house except flip flops.  Wife and daughter kick off whatever shoes they have on the moment they get inside and go barefoot everywhere unless we're going somewhere, not because of a rule, they just like being barefoot.  

Depends on how far you have to walk to get to your car, and how hard its raining. I thought you were contrasting people routinely walking several long city blocks vs. people getting around by driving and not doing much walking.
dunno really. I just imagined scenarios where a person who drives everywhere has to walk in the open air- if even for a little- when it's raining. you get wet. I remember being surprised by the people who were vehemently anti-umbrella people... who thought using them was bizarre- which is a bizarre thought for me. I hadn't yet heard the rationale that the wet umbrella was difficult to handle in the car... also seems bizarre to me- but I guess if you're using a giant golf umbrella/tent I can see it. 

People pretty much everywhere typically remove shoes and get comfortable in their own homes, right?

I can read the bolded in two way -- what people do in their own homes vs. what people do when visiting other people's homes.
nope. I grew up in the suburbs of SF- always wore shoes in our house and friends' houses. it was unusual to have somebody request that you remove shoes. 

that said- I always ask, no matter where I am- and if I see the host taking their shoes off, I'll take mine off- even if they say it's not necessary. 

Shoes off, but it’s more out of habit than anything else.

When we lived in Japan, the fire alarms were going off  and when the firemen showed up, they took their boots off before entering the main part of the house.

Shoes off, but it’s more out of habit than anything else.

When we lived in Japan, the fire alarms were going off  and when the firemen showed up, they took their boots off before entering the main part of the house.
wow! I'm hoping that's true...

Whenever we go over to our neighbor’s, the man of the house always insists that my wife take off not only her shoes but also her socks.  Even with that odd quirk, I still enjoy visiting Rex and the rest of the Ryan clan.

Users who are viewing this thread