What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Armed Militias Pledge to Fight for Fugitive Oregon GOP Lawmakers ‘At Any Cost’ (1 Viewer)

mcintyre1

Footballguy
https://www.thedailybeast.com/armed-militias-pledge-to-fight-for-fugitive-oregon-gop-lawmakers-at-any-cost

Right-wing militia groups across the Pacific Northwest are mobilizing to prevent Oregon state police from arresting Republican state senators who went into hiding on Thursday in order to prevent climate change legislation from passing.

All 11 of Oregon’s Republican state senators are currently on the lam, with some leaving for Idaho in an effort to deny the Democrat-controlled state senate a quorum to pass a cap-and-trade bill. In response, Oregon Governor Kate Brown (D), citing a provision in the state constitution that allows the state to “compel” absent lawmakers to attend legislative sessions, dispatchedstate troopers to bring them back.

One of the lawmakers on the lam, Republican Brian Boquist (R), warned that he would resort to violence rather than return to the state, implying in a local television interview that he would attack law enforcement officers sent to retrieve him.

“Send bachelors and come heavily armed,” Boquist said. “I’m not going to be a political prisoner in the state of Oregon. It’s just that simple.”
This kind of rhetoric is utterly ridiculous and dangerous. 

Ah, reminds me of dear Ashton O'Dwyer in New Orleans after Katrina.  

He declared the government inept, incapable of protecting its citizens and their property, and thus no government of his.  He further declared the 6000 block of St. Charles Avenue an independent State, the Duchy of Kilnamanagh, and he its sovereign, and seceded from the Union.  As I recall he informed the government, through a news camera, that in response to any attempt to remove him from his Duchy, "there will be gunfire."

It's a game of "Who can be more childish?"

I do enjoy the irony of a guy saying "I refuse to be a political prisoner in Oregon!".....and then leaving to hide out in Idaho.

Agreed...ridiculous cowards for congressmen, and idiots thinking going op against state police is a smart idea. 

I’m betting the first threat of getting shot by police or jailed and they run home.  

One of the many insane things about this story is that the Oregon Dems are not instituting some radical, statewide Green New Deal or anything. These GOP senators are trying to become tough-guy cowboy fugitives over tradable emissions permits. A market-based policy that you'd learn about in an econ textbook. Wild.

Last edited by a moderator:
This, this won't end well.
My prediction: nothing happens. It's a show for both sides. No consequences for anyone.

None of these Republicans will be punished by their constituents (they're all in safely red parts of the state). There could be some blowback against the Democratic governor, but she was just re-elected so the public will have forgotten all about this by next election.

My prediction: nothing happens. It's a show for both sides. No consequences for anyone.
That's what David Koresh thought.
Koresh was wanted by the FBI for allegedly stockpiling illegal weapons. He was facing jail time. That's a tad bit different from what's happening here.

The governor will send state troopers to knock on doors. I doubt anyone will answer the door. No one's getting shot and no one's getting jailed.

Koresh was wanted by the FBI for allegedly stockpiling illegal weapons. He was facing jail time. That's a tad bit different from what's happening here.

The governor will send state troopers to knock on doors. I doubt anyone will answer the door. No one's getting shot and no one's getting jailed.
If anyone's getting shot, let's hope it's right wing militias and not law enforcement officers.

Maybe they make a stand somewhere so someone can send them dildos

Ah, reminds me of dear Ashton O'Dwyer in New Orleans after Katrina.  

He declared the government inept, incapable of protecting its citizens and their property, and thus no government of his.  He further declared the 6000 block of St. Charles Avenue an independent State, the Duchy of Kilnamanagh, and he its sovereign, and seceded from the Union.  As I recall he informed the government, through a news camera, that in response to any attempt to remove him from his Duchy, "there will be gunfire."
Did they retake the dutchie Duchy from the left hand side?

Did they retake the dutchie Duchy from the left hand side?
They did.  They also retook his license to practice law and, for a time after he threatened Judge Ivan Lemelle and called him a “blue gummed house n*” (no censoring) in a pro se pleading, I believe they took his freedom to make decisions for himself.  Temporarily.

They did.  They also retook his license to practice law and, for a time after he threatened Judge Ivan Lemelle and called him a “blue gummed house n*” (no censoring) in a pro se pleading, I believe they took his freedom to make decisions for himself.  Temporarily.
Who would have imagined the Judge taking offense at that?  When they took away his freedom to make his own decisions did they house him at the grey bar hotel or force him to marry?

Who would have imagined the Judge taking offense at that?  When they took away his freedom to make his own decisions did they house him at the grey bar hotel or force him to marry?
I know Lemelle pretty well and talked to him about it at the time.  He seemed less offended than fairly certain if he didn’t do something O’Dwyer would come back with a gun or a bomb and really manage to ruin the rest of his life. 

Did he really say “send bachelors”? Does he mean those annoying soap opera looking idiots on that show that my daughters and wife are so obsessed with? 

Because I’m good with that. Let them secede. 

@Henry Ford Quotes for $1,000 will ultimately determine my fate.

1. Cap and Trade is stupid

2. Get your ### in the chamber and vote that it’s stupid
Republicans call this trickle down legislation- after watching McConnell’s “success” in stymieing democratic legislation other are pulling similar stunts to avoid or disable a vote. 

Meanwhile, Dylan Bundy's militia is recruiting and expanding in preparation to defend the senators on the lam.

Reminds me of the Blue Oyster Cult song, "I'm on the lam but I ain't no sheep!"

Seems, I don't know, treasonous? 
They view it as the reason the 2nd Ammendment exists- to prevent the government from abusing its powers and subjegating the citizens. A State level cap and trade bill voted on by their elected representatives seems like a major reach though to declare tyranny. 

I don't understand why we have a two party system. It seems like we continue to allow it to divide our country more and more each day. 

Politicians should be judged on their platform and their morals. Not on what party they belong to. 

I don't understand why we have a two party system. It seems like we continue to allow it to divide our country more and more each day. 

Politicians should be judged on their platform and their morals. Not on what party they belong to. 
It's just not the Politicians, it's also the populace.  Time for a divorce in this country.

What would happen if these militias were composed of say minorities threatening to stop ICE from rounding up people? How do you think those threats would be viewed? What about a black legislator saying he was going to kill anyone that tried to apprehend him? I think we all know the answer.

What would happen if these militias were composed of say minorities threatening to stop ICE from rounding up people? How do you think those threats would be viewed? What about a black legislator saying he was going to kill anyone that tried to apprehend him? I think we all know the answer.
The same thing if Obama said or did a fraction of things Trump has done. 

This thread would be multiple pages because those currently ignoring it would likely be outraged.

All you have to do is study the history of the Black Panther movement in this country. 

Horrible post. 
Not at all. These people have said they will kill cops if they come to get them. Where is the outrage from the people on the right always crying that police are the victims? Where is all the concern over these threats? Haven't seen any. In fact I've seen these guys cheered on. Because the GOP counts on these terrorists votes. And that's exactly what an armed militia threatening to kill duly appointed officers doing their duty are, terrorists. 

Not at all. These people have said they will kill cops if they come to get them. Where is the outrage from the people on the right always crying that police are the victims? Where is all the concern over these threats? Haven't seen any. In fact I've seen these guys cheered on. Because the GOP counts on these terrorists votes. And that's exactly what an armed militia threatening to kill duly appointed officers doing their duty are, terrorists. 
Has anything happened yet? 

I don't agree with the stance they are taking. But, like most things, I don't see a point in getting my panties in a bunch over talk. We have enough of that. If something happens, I will complain the same amount I complain about any police officer dying in the line of duty. You want to call them terrorists. If they are, then we have laws to address that behavior. If their not, then they are protected by the same free speech as everyone else. 

Has anything happened yet? 

I don't agree with the stance they are taking. But, like most things, I don't see a point in getting my panties in a bunch over talk. We have enough of that. If something happens, I will complain the same amount I complain about any police officer dying in the line of duty. You want to call them terrorists. If they are, then we have laws to address that behavior. If their not, then they are protected by the same free speech as everyone else. 

ter·ror·ist

noun

1. a person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.
Sounds like it fits to me?

Users who are viewing this thread