What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Talking Heads" Favorite Song (1 Viewer)

Talking Heads

• And She Was

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • Psycho Killer

Votes: 16 14.4%
  • Once In A Lifetime

Votes: 23 20.7%
  • Burning Down The House

Votes: 12 10.8%
  • Wild Wild Life

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • Take Me To The River

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Life During Wartime

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Nothing But Flowers

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 26 23.4%

• Total voters
I've told before about being the only human being west of the Mississippi with a copy of Talking Heads '77. My sendoff party from Boston media was built around a Heads/Ramone concert (had little idea who either band was) and i was given albums bought at the show. i moved to a commune in NM to be w my HS sweetheart & chill, unaware that only one of the mining shacks they had homesteaded had power. We would have naked sockhops at the main house and somehow "77 made it onto the turntable and, though the girls would sqwinch their nose at the freaky stuff, we fashioned a dance called the Psycho Chicken (bucbucbucBAWWWW, bucbuc bucbuc bawBAWWWW) out of Psycho Killer. Ah, naked hippie chicks make every memory better!

Nonetheless, i voted Take Me to the River. I was kind of ahead of my class on black music because i been an insomniac since i was born and went through several 9-volt batteries a week listening to my transistor under the pillow. After the great Jean Shepherd show, i'd listen to soul music on WABC or Buffalo's WUFO til i nodded off. But the thing about radio rock falling apart in the mid '70s is that black music was doing anything but then, so everybody was groovin' on PFunk & EW&F & the Players & OJays & Blue Notes & Mahvelous Mahvin & Al Green.

So, working graveyard shift at a detox center in Albq while i was waiting on a radio gig, one night i hear Tina Weymouth's bass thump thru the li'l portable speaker of the nurses-station radio and Mr FreakySquawker hisself chirping his scaryass tip atop an Al Green song, and i was instantly transfixed & transported. The nurses, one 50s-type chick and a black chick, also quickly worked past their wtfs to dig it as well. The rest of the week, we called in requests - not hard to get 3am requests in on Albq radio - for it every time we thought they might play it again. Really was a "music changed" moment for us out in the boonies.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard not to vote for two of the big hits I knew I growing up, Once in a Lifetime and Burning Down the House, but I also love tunes like The Great Curve, This Must Be the Place, Cities and many others.  I consider Fear of Music and Remain in Light to both be top notch records; both are loaded with great tunes from start to finish.  Damn fine band in their heyday. 

I would also suggest that any fan check out Everything That Happens Will Happen Today, a record David Byrne did a decade ago (with Brian Eno).   Really good record.  My brother and I saw Byrne when he toured on that record, where he played a lot of it plus a ton of Talking Heads classics, and it was a helluva fun show.  

It's hard not to vote for two of the big hits I knew I growing up, Once in a Lifetime and Burning Down the House, but I also love tunes like The Great Curve, This Must Be the Place, Cities and many others.  I consider Fear of Music and Remain in Light to both be top notch records; both are loaded with great tunes from start to finish.  Damn fine band in their heyday. 
Cities is the one that I missed, great build up.

I worked in a video store during my senior year of high school in 1985-86. We always had videos playing during business hours but obviously had to stick to clean videos. Stop Making Sense was one of our top videos in rotation. Still love it to this day. 

Dinsy Ejotuz said:
Other:  This Must Be the Place

Think it's the most honest love song ever written.
I’ve heard this played (at the deceased requests) twice at a wake. Such a great song.

TBH I’m not entirely sure what it’s about, precisely. For some odd reason I don’t think I can articulate, that’s my favorite kind of art. Something that is capable of making you feel joy and pain at the same time, and you’re not quite sure why. Yet there’s something akin to an adrenaline rush from the realization that that’s what a creative genius can evoke.

Did that make sense?

#stopmakingsense

Maybe not their greatest but Once in a Lifetime changed MTV and music.
It's funny that for as much as MTV played that video, it didn't make a dent on the pop charts here in the States.  That would be an interesting list to make, songs that were massive MTV hits, but not big ones on the pop charts.  

It's funny that for as much as MTV played that video, it didn't make a dent on the pop charts here in the States.  That would be an interesting list to make, songs that were massive MTV hits, but not big ones on the pop charts.  
Right.

Because the unwashed masses were listening to Kim Carnes and Rick Springfield 

They're always been more of an albums band.

Voted other.  I've always been partial to "Artists Only" but ask me tomorrow and I'd have a different favorite.

comfortably numb said:
Other:

This must be the place

Dr. Octopus said:
This was my “other” vote as well.

Brony said:
Me three 

This must be the place has the 2nd most listens on Spotify. 

The Dreaded Marco said:

Dinsy Ejotuz said:
Other:  This Must Be the Place

Think it's the most honest love song ever written.

-jb- said:
Regular rotation for me. Had it on yesterday. 

@Bob N. Weaver 

Osaurus said:
This Must be the Place (Native Melody). Got to see him perform it live last year. Very cool.

ETA: already listed. good choice

The Kansas Comet said:
Another other for 'This Must Be the Place'

Morton Muffley said:
Mine too.  Big miss having that off the list of choices

I’ve heard this played (at the deceased requests) twice at a wake. Such a great song.

TBH I’m not entirely sure what it’s about, precisely. For some odd reason I don’t think I can articulate, that’s my favorite kind of art. Something that is capable of making you feel joy and pain at the same time, and you’re not quite sure why. Yet there’s something akin to an adrenaline rush from the realization that that’s what a creative genius can evoke.

Did that make sense?

#stopmakingsense
Same. Super special song for me for a couple reasons. 

Doug B wrote: "Girlfriend is Betterl

This. And Slippery People.
My top 2 as well. I think it’s the upbeat percussive bounce in both of those sounds that gets me. Maybe I’m just remembering the Stop Making Sense versions, though. 

The Great Curve

That moment in history where Punk and Funk and Progressive and World Music collided into a beautiful groove - thank god I was there for it. Best Live show I've ever seen. David Byrne is the master.

Users who are viewing this thread