What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Current movie lineup - like some sort of time capsule (1 Viewer)

Galileo

Footballguy
I don't go to the theater much these days, but I just looked at my local theater lineup to see if there was anything interesting to check out.  Seems like mostly remakes and sequels:  Child's Play, Shaft, Aladdin, Godzilla, Toy Story 4, Men in Black International, Secret Life of Pets 2, Rocketman, and Anna.   Meh...can anyone convince me that one of these is worthwhile?

Avengers: Infinity+1

When Moline, Illinois thermometer repairman has an on-the-job accident and becomes Mercury Face, the world realises that everyone is now either a hero or villain, leaving nothing to defend and everyone goes home. This irritates Peggy Carter because it is her birthday and she expected a cake. Ooh, sorry, SPOILER ALERT!...When Moline, Illinois therm....

Toy Story 4 is the only one I’d want to see in a theatre.  Maybe Pets 2 with the kids

Rocketman and  child’s play would be the only others I’d ever want to watch 

Is Anna a sequel or remake?
I don't know what that is.  Apparently an action/suspense type movie...critics don't seem to like it too much

Beneath Anna Poliatova's striking beauty lies a secret that will unleash her indelible strength and skill to become one of the world's most feared government assassins. An electrifying thrill ride unfolding with propulsive energy, startling twists and breathtaking action, ANNA introduces Sasha Luss in the title role with a star-studded cast including Academy Award Winner Helen Mirren, Cillian Murphy, and Luke Evans.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't go to the theater much these days, but I just looked at my local theater lineup to see if there was anything interesting to check out.  Seems like mostly remakes and sequels:  Child's Play, Shaft, Aladdin, Godzilla, Toy Story 4, Men in Black International, Secret Life of Pets 2, Rocketman, and Anna.   Meh...can anyone convince me that one of these is worthwhile?
Maybe Toy Story 4? Those movies have been good but we as a society are stuck. It probably started with Warhol and has spiraled down since then.

This really is pathetic, I agree. Hollywood is at the bottom of a creative well.

I only learned like a month ago that the classic film The Maltese Falcon was the third movie made from the novel in a 10 year span. 
And the Judy Garland Wizard of Oz wasn’t the first ever Wizard movie, Heston’s Ben-Hur was a remake,  Pacino’s Scarface is a remake, etc. Plus ofcourse there’s all the American movies that are remakes of foreign films. However, we seem to be in an especially bad rut now and it’s been building for awhile. I don’t blame Hollywood, these movies are making a killing. It’s the American audiences and the quality of home entertainment options to blame. 

It seems America mostly agrees- Toy Story 4 disappointed this weekend. It’s the summer of no blockbusters so far.

We have AMC Stubs A-List and have scene 5 of those:

Godzilla - crap

Toy Story 4 - Very Good, maybe the 2nd best of the Toy Stories

Secret Life of Pets 2 - Good, not sure if it warrants a viewing in the theater.

Rocketman - Good, but be warned it's like a musical

Anna - I enjoyed it more than the critics seemed to, but it didn't really break any new ground.

We have AMC Stubs A-List and have scene 5 of those:

Godzilla - crap
I grew up watching the old Godzilla movies from the 60's and 70's on TV...Mothra, Ghidorah, Megalon, Mechagodzilla, etc... Those were never "great" movies, but they used to hold my attention as a kid.  I haven't seen any of the more recent iterations of Godzilla of the last couple decades.  Does it at least have any nostalgic value or 100% crap?

I grew up watching the old Godzilla movies from the 60's and 70's on TV...Mothra, Ghidorah, Megalon, Mechagodzilla, etc... Those were never "great" movies, but they used to hold my attention as a kid.  I haven't seen any of the more recent iterations of Godzilla of the last couple decades.  Does it at least have any nostalgic value or 100% crap?
I mean.  I guess it has some "throwback" nostalgic moments, but not enough to make up for the script, mediocre acting and plot holes you could fly a Mothra through.  And I know it's a movie about a giant dinosaur type monster, but good lord, at least try.

Yeserday sounds interesting and I have heard good things about Longshot, Booksmart and Late Night. However those movies all flopped at the box office because they aren't animated or part of an action series. 

We'll rent secret life, saw ts4 and loved it. The rest don't really interest me. 

It seems America mostly agrees- Toy Story 4 disappointed this weekend. It’s the summer of no blockbusters so far.
Our theater was packed all day, had to get 2nd row seats which suck. Great movie.

Toy Story 4 - Very Good, maybe the 2nd best of the Toy Stories
That's fair, my 16yo said he liked 2 best. I might go 4-1-2-3

We need another filmmaker like the late great John Hughes.  His comedies were some of the best ever, imo.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Weird Science

Vacation, Christmas Vacation

Mr. Mom

The Breakfast Club

Sixteen Candles

Pretty in Pink

Home Alone and 2.  

Uncle Buck

The Great Outdoors

and a few stinkers too. 

We need another filmmaker like the late great John Hughes.  His comedies were some of the best ever, imo.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Weird Science

Vacation, Christmas Vacation

Mr. Mom

The Breakfast Club

Sixteen Candles

Pretty in Pink

Home Alone and 2.  

Uncle Buck

The Great Outdoors

and a few stinkers too. 
What sets those apart from what we have today is love. Love of people. Everybody's an idiot somehow, most come upon it honestly and pursue it obsessively and fail by it in the end. But we don't fail anymore - we give ourselves participation trophies and begin our victim's journeys because we no longer trust our support systems in a world where the lion's share of love is pointed inward. Fall down and they're all 'well look at you'. Please continue to be an idiot cuz it takes the heat off me. No failure, no funny. No recovery, no redemption. No loss, no love.

John Hughes loved idiots in a way that traditional comedy couldn't and modern comedy doesn't and i completely understand why you miss him, Jay.

TV pays for better writing, Hollywood prefers to pop out comic and Star Wars movies. There’s not much of anything else. 

Our theater was packed all day, had to get 2nd row seats which suck. Great movie.
Reviews have been great and it did make like $110 million. However, it was projected for 150-200. Combine that with the huge bombs like MIB, Shaft, Godzilla and Dark Phoenix, the summer has been really bad for the movie industry. 

TV pays for better writing, Hollywood prefers to pop out comic and Star Wars movies. There’s not much of anything else. 
This true- the box office is for spectacles and event films. This is actually kind of a repeat conversation from the 50s. Once TV became prevelant, movie viewership began to dip for the same reasons it is is dipping now- easier to stay home, avoid the crowds, TV had quality programming, etc. What the studios figured out was what they could do that the networks couldn't: wide screen color spectacles. So the movies were driven by films like Ben-Hur, South Pacific, Quo Vadis, The Greatest Show on Earth and several Cinerama (precursor to IMAX documentary movies that gave visual tours of exotic places). So while TV could tell jokes and could do melodrama, it couldn't make the viewer feel like they were in Hawaii or feel the granduer of ancient Rome. I think we are seeing the next evolution of that to combat the HD, OLED 60 inch with sound bar world we live in. Movies had to become even bigger events and that required CGI. Only through super expensive state of the art CGI that TV couldn't afford could movies inspire people to leave their homes. The other driving factor in movie attendance is the water cooler. Kids at my school wanted to see EndGame right away because they wanted to avoid all the spoilers and wanted to be able to participate in the conversations. Maybe because with all the streaming services there is such a glut of new entertainment, there are not many movies that are able to become watercooler talk where viewers have to see it and can't wait until it hits HBO or Netflix.

Reviews have been great and it did make like $110 million. However, it was projected for 150-200. Combine that with the huge bombs like MIB, Shaft, Godzilla and Dark Phoenix, the summer has been really bad for the movie industry. 
Many of us might have spent our movie money and time or just attention on end game and Captain Marvel, waiting for spider Man. 

Totally agree with the idea that Netflix and other platforms make movie going less attractive. If it's not a "must watch" I'm happy to wait for the Blu-Ray. 

This true- the box office is for spectacles and event films. This is actually kind of a repeat conversation from the 50s. Once TV became prevelant, movie viewership began to dip for the same reasons it is is dipping now- easier to stay home, avoid the crowds, TV had quality programming, etc. What the studios figured out was what they could do that the networks couldn't: wide screen color spectacles. So the movies were driven by films like Ben-Hur, South Pacific, Quo Vadis, The Greatest Show on Earth and several Cinerama (precursor to IMAX documentary movies that gave visual tours of exotic places). So while TV could tell jokes and could do melodrama, it couldn't make the viewer feel like they were in Hawaii or feel the granduer of ancient Rome. I think we are seeing the next evolution of that to combat the HD, OLED 60 inch with sound bar world we live in. Movies had to become even bigger events and that required CGI. Only through super expensive state of the art CGI that TV couldn't afford could movies inspire people to leave their homes. The other driving factor in movie attendance is the water cooler. Kids at my school wanted to see EndGame right away because they wanted to avoid all the spoilers and wanted to be able to participate in the conversations. Maybe because with all the streaming services there is such a glut of new entertainment, there are not many movies that are able to become watercooler talk where viewers have to see it and can't wait until it hits HBO or Netflix.
Yep.

Our go to theater has a bar on the top floor, open to the movie. I can see that becoming more of an attraction. 

-OZ- said:
Yep.

Our go to theater has a bar on the top floor, open to the movie. I can see that becoming more of an attraction. 
I say #### all that.  It just really irritates me that the focus for trying to make the movie going experience worthwhile doesn't seem to have anything to do with the movies.  Most of the stuff popping up around here is like you said - bar, restaurant, etc...    So basically distract the masses with burgers and booze so they don't focus so much on the movies being the same mass produced stuff that we've already seen.   The list in the OP is terrible.  

Ilov80s said:
Yeserday sounds interesting and I have heard good things about Longshot, Booksmart and Late Night. However those movies all flopped at the box office because they aren't animated or part of an action series. 
Yeah, I grumble about it, but I also realize that it's on us.   Studios want to make money, so if people paid for the original movies instead of MIB 7, they would probably start making more of them.  Alas, as a collective we just want comic book movies, sequels, and remakes. 

Isn't summer usually dominated by blockbusters/action flicks and kids movies anyways?

Isn't summer usually dominated by blockbusters/action flicks and kids movies anyways?
Yeah, and it's not like there weren't a ton of sequels 30 years ago.  

It just feels like when you look at the best grossing movies of the 80s vs now, there is a little more variety at the top.  

Like people said, now it's for spectacle and movies like Ghost or something like that doesn't have a shot at making a ton money as people just wait to stream it.  

wikkidpissah said:
What sets those apart from what we have today is love. Love of people. Everybody's an idiot somehow, most come upon it honestly and pursue it obsessively and fail by it in the end. But we don't fail anymore - we give ourselves participation trophies and begin our victim's journeys because we no longer trust our support systems in a world where the lion's share of love is pointed inward. Fall down and they're all 'well look at you'. Please continue to be an idiot cuz it takes the heat off me. No failure, no funny. No recovery, no redemption. No loss, no love.
So well spoken. 👍

John Hughes loved idiots in a way that traditional comedy couldn't and modern comedy doesn't and i completely understand why you miss him, Jay.
💖

I don't know a thing about current ways, but when we were younger, this was a great Drive-In time.

Is that still a thing?

The last time I visited a drive-in was for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - 2005. It was pretty crowded, and we had a great time.
Very few drive ins left I believe, which is sad, because that was a great movie going experience when I was a kid, even with the crummy sound. Given advances in car audio and networking I'm surprised there hasn't been a resurgence.

I say #### all that.  It just really irritates me that the focus for trying to make the movie going experience worthwhile doesn't seem to have anything to do with the movies.  Most of the stuff popping up around here is like you said - bar, restaurant, etc...    So basically distract the masses with burgers and booze so they don't focus so much on the movies being the same mass produced stuff that we've already seen.   The list in the OP is terrible.  
🤷‍♂️ It's all about entertainment for us, risk vs reward for the industry. 

It's less risky to make toy story 4 than something we've never heard of.  Just an example, but we didn't see Moana, Coco, Tangled, bao, up, inside out, the good dinosaur, etc in the theater. Now 3 of those are among our favorites. But we were at toy story 4 and end game opening weekend. 

So, I'm to blame. 

Very few drive ins left I believe, which is sad, because that was a great movie going experience when I was a kid, even with the crummy sound. Given advances in car audio and networking I'm surprised there hasn't been a resurgence.
Seriously, with Bluetooth there would be no issues (although there's some hesitation to link to another computer...), or just broadcast through a radio station like the Christmas houses do.

It just feels like when you look at the best grossing movies of the 80s vs now, there is a little more variety at the top.  
Of the top 20 grossing movies of 2010s, there were 0 movies that weren't a comic, sequel, prequel or reboot.

In the 2000s, there were 3 Avatar, Passion of the Christ and Finding Nemo that weren't a comic, sequel, prequel or reboot.

The 80s and 90s each had 13. The 70s had 18. 

Of the top 20 grossing movies of 2010s, there were 0 movies that weren't a comic, sequel, prequel or reboot.

In the 2000s, there were 3 Avatar, Passion of the Christ and Finding Nemo that weren't a comic, sequel, prequel or reboot.

Nice data ... but I read the bold as "robot". 🤖

And, you know why! 🤐

Those are pretty amazing numbers, but sadly not surprising. 

Great post - I thought I looked it up somewhere and come up with a similar list.  

I would say that in the current climate there is 0 shot movies like Fatal Attraction, Rain Man, Coming to America, or Tootsie make it into the top 20.  Well, unless they are a remake of one of those movies, I guess.  

🤷‍♂️ It's all about entertainment for us, risk vs reward for the industry. 

It's less risky to make toy story 4 than something we've never heard of.  Just an example, but we didn't see Moana, Coco, Tangled, bao, up, inside out, the good dinosaur, etc in the theater. Now 3 of those are among our favorites. But we were at toy story 4 and end game opening weekend. 

So, I'm to blame. 
I get it, and I am not much better.  I don't get to the movies a ton, but when I do it's usually with the son, and yeah - we are seeing a Marvel or Star Wars movie.   I would love to go see something else on my day off, but when I look what's out, it's usually a similar list to the OP so I don't bother.  

The couple things that really get me grumbling are:

1.  The restaurant/movie experiences.  We have more and more screens like this at the theaters around here, and sometimes the movie we want to see are only showing at those.  I hate them - I don't want to pay $15/tix to have workers bringing in food during the movie and somebody sitting next to me eating a steak dinner.  

2.  IMO the streaming services give us the illusion of choices, but it's not much better.  It's just a race to mass produce original content and seems to be a lot more focused on TV shows.  The movies they do get are usually the ones we are talking about that they know made money and will keep people subscribed.   Criterion channel is OK, but limited,  and there are a couple other services that focus a bit on the "art" side of movie making, but you have to search or it, and none of the most popular streaming services have a ton of options in non-mainstream stuff.  

I get it, and I am not much better.  I don't get to the movies a ton, but when I do it's usually with the son, and yeah - we are seeing a Marvel or Star Wars movie.   I would love to go see something else on my day off, but when I look what's out, it's usually a similar list to the OP so I don't bother.  

The couple things that really get me grumbling are:

1.  The restaurant/movie experiences.  We have more and more screens like this at the theaters around here, and sometimes the movie we want to see are only showing at those.  I hate them - I don't want to pay $15/tix to have workers bringing in food during the movie and somebody sitting next to me eating a steak dinner.  

2.  IMO the streaming services give us the illusion of choices, but it's not much better.  It's just a race to mass produce original content and seems to be a lot more focused on TV shows.  The movies they do get are usually the ones we are talking about that they know made money and will keep people subscribed.   Criterion channel is OK, but limited,  and there are a couple other services that focus a bit on the "art" side of movie making, but you have to search or it, and none of the most popular streaming services have a ton of options in non-mainstream stuff.  
Filmstruck getting the axe was a major blow 

I guess I am ignorant.  I didn't know what it was since I wasn't able to stream until recently, so I don't know what I am missing. 
It was only around a yearish so it never got a chance to grow. It was basically Criterion plus the TCM library. 

Well, I just saw LeBron's tweet that he is filming Space Jam 2, so we got that to look forward to.

Great post - I thought I looked it up somewhere and come up with a similar list.  

I would say that in the current climate there is 0 shot movies like Fatal Attraction, Rain Man, Coming to America, or Tootsie make it into the top 20.  Well, unless they are a remake of one of those movies, I guess.  
Can't wait to see how the Coming to America sequel performs.  

Like they say - it used to be that movies were for grownups & TV was for kids, but it's flipped.

The thing that bothers me most about today's movies is scale. There are no small victories anymore - everything must be for the survival of the universe. I presume if they made One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest now, Chief Bromden wouldnt hurl the bath fixture thru the window to gain the freedom his friend McMurphy sought, he would cast it skyward at light speed to destroy the lair of Ratchettica, Black Queen of the Nurses, from which her control ray throttled the free will of mankind.

Even my cousin's last flick - the Oscar-bait family musical Mary Poppins Returns. He started out as a choreographer and i've kidded him for years as each of his pictures contained an attempt to choreograph some aspect of moviemaking - camera movement, story transitions, light etc. And this was its culmination - one who watches MPR will notice that no scene ends before the next one edges into the screenspace for to swoop it away. Every aspect engineered, conducted, staged.

This whole "we can refine that", "we're not exploiting this aspect", "can we monetize further?" that seems to be everybody's job these days is going to curl back on us somehow as we venture to master life that we may not suffer. Stay tuned -

It’s astounding that a movie like Rain Man was the highest grossing movie of the year. If that came out today, it wouldn’t even make dent at the box office. One of those small stakes movies @wikkidpissah was referring to

It’s astounding that a movie like Rain Man was the highest grossing movie of the year. If that came out today, it wouldn’t even make dent at the box office. One of those small stakes movies @wikkidpissah was referring to
Yes, Rain Man would've broken the bank in Vegas and be the master of an all-differents casino called the Spectrum now instead of burning PopTarts in his little flat.

Yes, Rain Man would've broken the bank in Vegas and be the master of an all-differents casino called the Spectrum now instead of burning PopTarts in his little flat.
Would have turned out he didn’t have autism but was a secret mutant created by the government to be the perfect agent of espionage. In the sequel, Rain Man 2: Revenge of the Babbitts, they would be driving Ferrari’s, shooting up Russians with machine guns and stopping Egyptian terrorists from blowing up the White House. 

Users who are viewing this thread