What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Black Sabbath's first six albums (1 Viewer)

No. And they could have stopped at 4 and then farted for the next 2 albums and still had a better 6-album run.

Has any metal band since ever had a 6-album run that matched or topped their first six? 

Black Sabbath
Paranoid
Master of Reality
Volume 4
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Sabotage

I would say an emphatic no. 
Iron Maiden and Opeth instantly came to mind, but I think Vol4 and Sabotage are uneven, and could do without SBS.  

Metallica and Slayer are the only two heavy-assed bands that stand a chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has any metal band since ever had a 6-album run that matched or topped their first six? 

Black Sabbath
Paranoid
Master of Reality
Volume 4
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Sabotage

I would say an emphatic no. 
Honest opinion? 

Trash

One of the most overrated bands ever.

Metallica and Slayer are the only two heavy-asses bands that stand a chance.
Meh.  Problem with Metallica is #5 is Black, #6 is Load.  

Slayer only has a string of 3 maybe 4 albums.  

IMO Maiden didn't put out a bad album until the 90s, which would be their first 7.  I think Opeth is the best metal band of the last couple decades or so and their 8 album run from Morninrise through Watershed is fantastic. 

IMO Maiden didn't put out a bad album until the 90s, which would be their first 7.  I think Opeth is the best metal band of the last couple decades or so and their 8 album run from Morninrise through Watershed is fantastic. 
I'm really right there with you about Metallica. I like Slayer's later ones more than your average fan. That's also just off of the top of my head. 

Big fan of Sabbath but think Metallica and Maiden had a better run with their first 6 albums.  Priest could be thrown in the discussion but some of their early work doesn't match up when comparing overall albums.  

I love me some Opeth, but Still Life and Ghost Reveries are really the only albums anymore I love from start to finish (that fall under the metal banner).  

Big fan of Sabbath but think Metallica and Maiden had a better run with their first 6 albums.  Priest could be thrown in the discussion but some of their early work doesn't match up when comparing overall albums.  
As much as I like Priest, they never really had a long consecutive run of great albums; they tended to go up and down a bit. 

don't want them stopping before Sabbath Bloody Sabbath though.  
Agreed.  I think Sabbath Bloody Sabbath might be the best of the six, although it is hard to top Paranoid. 

I love me some Opeth, but Still Life and Ghost Reveries are really the only albums anymore I love from start to finish (that fall under the metal banner).  
That's fair.  Opposite for me - probably the most listened to band in the last decade for me.  I have 10 CDs of theirs in the car that I basically just cycle through.  

That's fair.  Opposite for me - probably the most listened to band in the last decade for me.  I have 10 CDs of theirs in the car that I basically just cycle through.  
I hear that.  They were in heavy rotation for me for a long time, and I still bust them out here and there, but the albums that I tend to listen to the most now are Damnation and Pale Communion. I love the laid back, classic rock vibe of both. 

I agree with OP but I think Maiden is close and maybe Metallica if you count the 5.98 EP

Black Sabbath's six album run is better than those two for sure though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. I will die on this hill and take most of you mamajamas with me.

Sabbath is nothing more than an novelty that was at the right place at the right time.  Basically they are the Lou Bega of hard rock.
I like most of your music takes - this is not one of them. 

I looked up Lou Bega.   :D  scatman and hatman.    

Iron Maiden 1980

Killers 1981

Number of the Beast 1982

Piece Of Mind 1983

Powerslave 1984

Somewhere In Time 1986

Seventh Son of A Seventh Son 1988

That's 7 great albums, not including their live opus:

Live After Death 1985

8 spectacular albums in 9 years. 

Sabbath's run is impressive, no doubt. But Maiden's was the best.

I will run to this hill, and I will die on it, with my boots on, like a trooper.

I am a lukewarm Maiden fan at best, so I cannot get on board with any of their albums touching any of the first six by the mighty Sabbath.  

I am a lukewarm Maiden fan at best, so I cannot get on board with any of their albums touching any of the first six by the mighty Sabbath.  
I'm not a Maiden fan at all but have friends who swear by them. I've come to appreciate some songs by them.

The Cinderella story against Sabbath is over, though; it's two minutes to midnight and she's a stranger in a strange land.

I'm not a Maiden fan at all but have friends who swear by them. I've come to appreciate some songs by them.
That is probably a good description for myself as well.  I have tried like heck, and based on other bands I like, I should love Maiden, but outside of maybe a dozen songs, I have no use for them. 

Maybe it's to their detriment for some that they didn't try to expand their sound too much, but if you dig them IMO you can't argue much against how good and consistent their 80s output was.  I also put them up there as far as older bands that are able to keep going and put out great late-stage music (again, maybe it's because they don't really expand too much).  I have loved 4 of the 5 albums from 2000 on, and think Book of the Dead is right up there with some of their best albums in their catalog.  

This delves more into the prog metal category, but Dream Theater just missed out on a having a stellar 6-album run. The 5-album run of Images and Words through Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is stellar, but while Train of Thought has one of my favorite songs by the band (In the Name of God), it's not on the same level, or close, to the five albums that preceded it.  The Sabbath 6 are amazing in their consistency. 

This delves more into the prog metal category, but Dream Theater just missed out on a having a stellar 6-album run. The 5-album run of Images and Words through Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is stellar, but while Train of Thought has one of my favorite songs by the band (In the Name of God), it's not on the same level, or close, to the five albums that preceded it.  The Sabbath 6 are amazing in their consistency. 
Dream theater doesn't belong in this discussion.  

The Sabbath 6 are amazing in their consistency. 
I still think you are giving the albums after the first 3 a little too much credit.  I really dislike Changes, so keep that in mind.  Sabotage is an album with a few brilliant songs, but couldn't put that album on and listen to it all.  I check out about 1/2 way through Megalomania and Supertzar is the nail in the coffin.  

I still think you are giving the albums after the first 3 a little too much credit.  I really dislike Changes, so keep that in mind.  Sabotage is an album with a few brilliant songs, but couldn't put that album on and listen to it all.  I check out about 1/2 way through Megalomania and Supertzar is the nail in the coffin.  
I do not like Changes either, but the rest of Volume 4 is mostly excellent.  Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is amazing from start to finish. Sabotage does have 1 or 2 songs I can do without, but it has Megalomania (which I really like), Symptom of the Universe, The Writ and The Thrill of It All, four major winners.  My ranking of the six is: 

1a. Paranoid
1b. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
3. Black Sabbath
4. Sabotage
5. Volume 4
6. Master of Reality

I do not like Changes either, but the rest of Volume 4 is mostly excellent.  Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is amazing from start to finish. Sabotage does have 1 or 2 songs I can do without, but it has Megalomania (which I really like), Symptom of the Universe, The Writ and The Thrill of It All, four major winners.  My ranking of the six is: 

1a. Paranoid
1b. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
3. Black Sabbath
4. Sabotage
5. Volume 4
6. Master of Reality
 I guess this was my point about Iron Maiden.  There is not one of those albums of the first 7 that I would put on even now and want to skip through songs.  Same for me with Opeth.  I can say that for 3 of the first 6 Sabbath albums.  

I get what you are saying about some of the epic songs and the band's influence, but step one for me in labeling an album great or an all-timer has be me not skipping over songs.  

Nope. I will die on this hill and take most of you mamajamas with me.

Sabbath is nothing more than an novelty that was at the right place at the right time.  Basically they are the Lou Bega of hard rock.
Interesting. Aren't they in the hall of fame? 

I'm not a big fan. I do think their first album is a masterpiece of it's time, and unlike anything I'd ever heard before. 

I guess I have to give SBS more listens.  I remember that album boring me during my Sabbath phase.  
Do it. :yes:  

I guess this was my point about Iron Maiden.  There is not one of those albums of the first 7 that I would put on even now and want to skip through songs.  Same for me with Opeth.  I can say that for 3 of the first 6 Sabbath albums.  

I get what you are saying about some of the epic songs and the band's influence, but step one for me in labeling an album great or an all-timer has be me not skipping over songs.  
Most all-timers for me do not have any skippers, but it does happen sometimes, and I don't think having one skipper (for me) is an automatic disqualification.  To use another metal album as an example, even though the song Escape is totally forgettable, I would still call Metallica's Ride the Lightning great and an all-timer. 

Seems like a good place to share one of my favorite cover songs on YouTube...

Black Sabbath’s “Changes”, by Charles Bradley

... shows that other musicians who weren’t previously familiar with Black Sabbath appreciate their song writing and composition.
Not bad.  My beef with the Sabbath original is that Ozzy didn't have the voice to successfully pull it off.  And I loved some of their other mellow songs from those early days - I am a huge fan of both Planet Caravan and Solitude - but Changes was a miss for me. 

sabbath created metal. they had no reference

metallica had a plethora of references to create their magic.

I am a 100x bigger fan of metallica than sabbath, but this one is easy... 

Megadeth's first six is pretty strong. Rust is one my favorite albums by any artist.

• Killing Is My Business... and Business Is Good!
  • Peace Sells... but Who's Buying?
  • So Far, So Good... So What!
  • Rust in Peace
  • Countdown to Extinction
  • Youthanasia

sabbath created metal. they had no reference

metallica had a plethora of references to create their magic.

I am a 100x bigger fan of metallica than sabbath, but this one is easy... 
We get that they basically created it.  But that has nothing to do with the quality of the albums and the question at hand.  

Users who are viewing this thread