What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Songs that were huge MTV "hits" in the 80's, but not on the pop charts (1 Viewer)

Ghost Rider

Footballguy
In this thread, we list songs that MTV played a ton in the 80's, yet weren't big hits on the pop charts. 

First one that come to mind: 

Talking Heads - Once in a Lifetime
XTC - The Mayor of Simpleton
U2 - All I Want Is You

First ten years of 120 Minutes (1986-96, e.g., pre-Sum 41) were pretty solid. I didn’t watch any other MTV show during that time besides The Real World.

Stryper is a good band for this thread.  They had five songs that were played to death in the later 80's:

Calling On You
Free
Honestly
Always There for You
I Believe in You

I think Honestly was the only one that broke the top 40 on the pop charts here in America.  Free, meanwhile, was a monster MTV hit, dominating the Dial MTV (the top 10 of the most requested videos) for like a month or so. 

Yes, yes you did.

Those of us non-metalheads were forced to watch crappy metal bands on MTV and the radio for a big part of the 80s
FORCED, were ya? That musta  been rough. I've never experienced being forced to watch television,  I can imagine it would be unpleasant. I remember being one of the lucky kids that could switch the channel or :gasp: turn OFF the TV when something I didn't want to watch came on.

Straight outta compton.

Maybe i wasn't into rap as much, but i remeber seeing it daily on TV but can't recall ever hearing it on the radio, NYC radio anyway.

Maybe im off on this?

Users who are viewing this thread