What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Byron Pringle, CHI (1 Viewer)

King of the Jungle

Footballguy
When you have an elite QB potentially losing his top WR someone has a chance to step up. Things that have me excited about Pringle:

1. Waldman had him highly rated last year as a rookie.

2. He performed really well during last years preseason prior to getting hurt.

3. Preseason reports are glowing over his performance and improvement.

4. Demarcus Robinson who has been with the offense for several years and actually made plays with Mahomes was never able to surpass Chris Conley. I think Pringle may have a chance to leap over him for the number two role if he is able to continue to progress.

5. JMO but I don’t see Hardman as the next Reek. I think he is someone they drafted for speed on returns and gimmick plays that they like to run in the offense. To expect him to develop into a top two role at receiver quickly would be optimistic IMO.

Bottomline is he is a talented playmaker in an elite offense....certainly something to monitor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just about as bad of a BA as you can get, but Tyreek wasnt great either there. 

Personally I like Cody Thompson a bit better than Pringle, but I think it's worth talking about this guy as he has as good of an shot as anyone

I could see this guy being the flavor of the month. Does he run crisp routes? Will there be any crumbs left over for him after the other guy's feast? Wondering if his father was an athlete, which might make him a chip off the old block. 

I could see this guy being the flavor of the month. Does he run crisp routes? Will there be any crumbs left over for him after the other guy's feast? Wondering if his father was an athlete, which might make him a chip off the old block. 
I see what you did there...

he wasn't really a blue chip prospect coming out of high school....looked a lot like all the others at the same position...there wasn't really anything separating him from the rest....

I think what separates him now is opportunity in a top offense....with a top QB....on a team potentially in need of a pass catcher to step up. 

I think he will crack under pressure.  He will break, unless he shows that he -can- do it.  But I'm not going to be salty if he succeeds.

I think he will crack under pressure.  He will break, unless he shows that he -can- do it.  But I'm not going to be salty if he succeeds.
possible....but he has generally been surrounded by pretty solid talent compared to similar options......

@Dr. Dan  But that's why he does it.  He makes a call on a guy that is very unlikely to do much of anything.  People go ga-ga over him, with threads like this.  When he misses, like he's going to here, no one really says anything about it because he's expected to be a bum, and the investment was minimal.  No backlash.  However, if he hits with it, he's a goliath for the next 5 years.  Basically Waldman needs to hit with about 1 in 20.  Will Pringle be 'the one'?  No.  Absolutely not a chance in h...e...double hockey sticks.
I mean...hitting big on 1 in 20 lottery ticket fliers is pretty much how you accumulate value in dynasty, aside from trades and drafting well. You need to stay ahead of your leaguemates and hit on guys like this...but it's not going to happen often for anybody, in the long run. You keep 5-6 (or more if you consolidate into a top-heavy roster like I usually do) roster spots open to rotate fliers like this guy, and hope that you have the ones that take off when it matters. Then you hold or sell, which is almost as a big a moment as hitting on the lottery ticket in the first place.  

Nobody is batting a high percentage on guys like this. So killing a fantasy analyst/film room guy for having offseason favorites among this low tier of player...frankly, it's dumb. 

I am not defending Waldman specifically here--while I appreciate what he does and that he shows his work in the RSP, I bought it 5-6 years ago and I found that it didn't really help me specifically. It's not for me. So while I respect the guy, I'm not some Waldman stan who is sending him (or anyone, for that matter) money every year for his thoughts. 

I just think it's moronic to criticize these types of longshot calls. Yes, most will miss. No, guys like Waldman won't be held accountable (much) for their misses on guys like this. Yes, if they hit I'm sure there will be a small subset of the dynasty population that forever remembers and gives credit to someone like Waldman for being right on a guy and helping them win a league.

Is there a problem with that? Aside from pure luck, no dynasty owner has a high hit rate on lottery ticket waiver types. You cycle through until you hit, and guys like Waldman supply potential targets, if you care what they think. But most late-round rookies, offseason blind bid sweethearts, and random add/drops miss miserably no matter what info or analysis you're utilizing to make your decisions. 

It would be different if he was out here saying "trade a future 1st or 2nd for Byron Pringle, future stud right here". I'm assuming he isn't doing that. He's intrigued by a skill-set and a potential NFL fit and putting a little-known player on people's radar. That's his job, isn't it? 

@Dr. Dan  But that's why he does it.  He makes a call on a guy that is very unlikely to do much of anything.  People go ga-ga over him, with threads like this.  When he misses, like he's going to here, no one really says anything about it because he's expected to be a bum, and the investment was minimal.  No backlash.  However, if he hits with it, he's a goliath for the next 5 years.  Basically Waldman needs to hit with about 1 in 20.  Will Pringle be 'the one'?  No.  Absolutely not a chance in h...e...double hockey sticks.
Waldman loves hot takes and often uses hyperbole, like how he predicts Pringle to start over Hardman and Robinson. You are also using the extreme in saying the guy has no chance at all of success. Like ConnSkin just pointed out, you add a guy like Pringle on the back of your roster just in hope for upside, but without expectations. 

Waldmans going to pile up the misses of he keeps going goo-goo for late breakout age WRs... 
Certain fantasy circles are pretty myopic about breakout age. I think it's worth a consideration with top assets. But late picks and UDFAs all have warts though. Many of them didnt do anything in college at all, let alone at a young age.

We still should fill our rosters.

Certain fantasy circles are pretty myopic about breakout age. I think it's worth a consideration with top assets. But late picks and UDFAs all have warts though. Many of them didnt do anything in college at all, let alone at a young age.

We still should fill our rosters.
Oh I have no qualms over adding a guy as a long shot. I like someone better on the roster. Thompson was very highly regarded before he got hurt. Pringle has a year on him. By no means am I saying he has no shot, I'm just pointing out that some individuals go nuts when a guy like Waldman opens his mouth about a guy. Faust linked an article above that is a little ridiculous. 

I have my fair share of long shots, and I dont blame anyone for rostering pringle. I think that's smart as the wr competition is wide open 

Waldman brings players to attention that may not be looked at by the masses which is why I like his takes. He identifies what these players do well and what they can improve on. Although it is fun to discuss last years top 10 from each position it is also nice to attempt to find a diamond in the rough that may be of value. 

Just woke up and didn't watch game. What's the story behind this stat line? How did he look?
I was at the game. Watkins was out really early. He looked pretty good. Missed one pass. Was targeted quite a bit because he was getting separation. He looks a little short out there, but good speed and smooth. 

Byron Pringle caught 6-of-9 targets for 103 yards and a touchdown in Week 5 against the Colts.

Pringle was forced into three-wide sets after Sammy Watkins (hamstring) left on the first series. He ended up leading the Chiefs in receiving, though most of his production came on the first drive. Tyreek Hill could be back next week, but Pringle will be worth a waiver add if Watkins misses time.

Oct 7, 2019, 12:08 AM ET

I mean if Watkins misses more than a week, you'd think Pringle HAS to be a top add. We know he can get separation and that means getting bombs in this offense. No guarantee Hill comes back and if he does, Hardman would be the one sitting you'd think.

Didn't most of his catches come in the first quarter?

I wonder if Indy woke up on him later on and that's why he was quiet late...and may be more indicative of what you'll get if you pick him up now.

Didn't most of his catches come in the first quarter?

I wonder if Indy woke up on him later on and that's why he was quiet late...and may be more indicative of what you'll get if you pick him up now.
He was 2/64/1 after the 1st quarter. So I'll take that, no problem.

Byron Pringle wasn't targeted in the Chiefs' Week 7 win over the Broncos.

And that's that. Pringle's zero-look night came in a game where Patrick Mahomes was lost to a knee injury in the second quarter. Even were Sammy Watkins (hamstring) to miss another game in Week 8 against the Packers, Pringle would be miles from fantasy relevance if Mahomes can't give it a go. As of Thursday evening, Mahomes seemed likely to miss at least 1-2 contests.
Life moves pretty fast...

The Athletic's Nate Taylor reports WR Byron Pringle was the "teammate who [Patrick] Mahomes targeted the most" in the Chiefs' minicamp.

Fantasy managers remain eager for a third viable fantasy option to emerge in the absurdly productive Kansas City passing attack, and so far, it appears Pringle has an edge on Mecole Hardman and Demarcus Robinson. Chiefs general manager Brett Veach said in April that the team is "extremely high" on Pringle, a fourth-year wideout with just 33 targets and 25 receptions through two seasons in KC. Sammy Watkins moving on to Baltimore opens up 55 targets in the Chiefs' offense. Pringle looks like a defendable last-round pick in best ball leagues. 

RELATED: 

Mecole Hardman

, Demarcus Robinson

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Jun 12, 2021, 5:29 PM ET

Why did I believe in Hardman and even trade for him in a dynasty league 2 years ago  :wall: :sadbanana:
The team that owned him offered him generously to me for 2 future 1sts (even commenting he was the next Tyreek).  Luckily, I am like so savvy and was able to see through his BS.

Users who are viewing this thread