What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Rebuild Advice (1 Viewer)

buballa

Footballguy
Decided to kind of blow up my team last year and rebuild with the aim to position myself well in the 2020 draft to get competitive again that year.

With that said my current team is as follows:

QB - Garoppolo

RB - Guice, A Jones, Carson, Barber

WR - DJ Moore, Sutton, Pettis, A Miller, Agholor, Doctson, Quinn

TE - Herndon, Burton, I Thomas

I have little draft capital this year, and currently 2 1st rd picks for 2020 (most likely high and mid)

I have been proposed a trade of:

give: Guice and Jones

get: C Ridley and 3 1st rd 2020 picks (most likely mid to late)

Would it be worth it to basically destroy what rbs i have to get more 2020 draft stock?

I have tried moving carson and barber for pick but so far no luck. What other moves should I be looking to make?

12 team .5ppr btw

start

1qb

2rb

2wr

2flex

1te

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are in a rebuild then Guice should be your cornerstone if you believe in him.  I think he is too big of risk however based on what you have I would probably rather see what he is and stick.  In order to turn things around getting late 1st round picks don't help much especially when you are giving up young cornerstone type pieces. 

In general I think you are in quite a bit of trouble.  Ideally you would have a couple older quality guys to move for picks so you can keep your young guys to build around.  I don't see that with this team.   You are already young but need guys to pan out.  If they don't you are going to have a tough time getting out of this spot. 

I would hold tight for now and trust that the young guys you acquired/have will reach their potential.  Carson and Barber may be of higher value mid season if some contenders have RB issues.  You may be able to turn them into picks/younger upside guys at that time. 

If you are in a rebuild then Guice should be your cornerstone if you believe in him.  I think he is too big of risk however based on what you have I would probably rather see what he is and stick.  In order to turn things around getting late 1st round picks don't help much especially when you are giving up young cornerstone type pieces. 

In general I think you are in quite a bit of trouble.  Ideally you would have a couple older quality guys to move for picks so you can keep your young guys to build around.  I don't see that with this team.   You are already young but need guys to pan out.  If they don't you are going to have a tough time getting out of this spot. 

I would hold tight for now and trust that the young guys you acquired/have will reach their potential.  Carson and Barber may be of higher value mid season if some contenders have RB issues.  You may be able to turn them into picks/younger upside guys at that time. 
I agree with most everything you have said here. I had some older guys that should have been able to net me something but unfortunately I could never get anybody to offer more than scraps.  I was offering up Larry Fitzgerald for the last 4 years as he was putting in top 10 seasons and I think the best offer I got was a 3rd rd pick.  This league has made it tough trying to get back on top after my team aged.  I kinda figured my best bet was just to take some risks on some young guys and hope it works out. 

I do think guice and jones will end up being really good rbs but there is some obvious risk there.  I was thinking maybe with 5 1st rd picks in 2020 i could net a couple of the top RBs in that draft

So the best rebuild I have seen was from someone in your boat, but they did not sell out entirely for one draft year. Guy took over a team, it was just awful, and he turned it around in just a few years with a lot of long term patience. Like you he acquired a number of first round picks one or two years out. He doesn't trade until basically the week of the rookie draft, and routinely moves back each draft. This year he has the 1.04 and 1.09. I fully expect him to move the 1.09 for a late second plus a future late first. He keeps trading back for a yearly supply of multiple firsts. 

Given that you have two already, gaining additional picks has an argument, but not to take 5 players in 2020. I would use that number of picks to set myself up for 2021-2023 by trading back each year or trading for established veterans. 

I am also a firm believer that picks are overrated and the hit rate for picks, even first rounders is too low to justify their 'attention'. You have a number of players in good to great positions for second and third year leaps. If I was you, I would only trade one of those rbs, and I would favor trading carson or barber much sooner than jones or guice. Trade carson for an additional pick or veteran and take two players in the 2020 draft and use that third pick as trade leverage for future drafts. 

I agree with most everything you have said here. I had some older guys that should have been able to net me something but unfortunately I could never get anybody to offer more than scraps.  I was offering up Larry Fitzgerald for the last 4 years as he was putting in top 10 seasons and I think the best offer I got was a 3rd rd pick.  This league has made it tough trying to get back on top after my team aged.  I kinda figured my best bet was just to take some risks on some young guys and hope it works out. 

I do think guice and jones will end up being really good rbs but there is some obvious risk there.  I was thinking maybe with 5 1st rd picks in 2020 i could net a couple of the top RBs in that draft
The problem is that those picks appear to be back end picks so you will not be getting any impact guys.  They are all dart throws.  I would rather have guys that have shown what they can do in the NFL (even though Guice was really only one play). 

The problem is that those picks appear to be back end picks so you will not be getting any impact guys.  They are all dart throws.  I would rather have guys that have shown what they can do in the NFL (even though Guice was really only one play). 
Yep, that has been the tough sell to me. With the odds of getting back end picks it may become a crap shoot of whether I can get the same value back much less more.

So the best rebuild I have seen was from someone in your boat, but they did not sell out entirely for one draft year. Guy took over a team, it was just awful, and he turned it around in just a few years with a lot of long term patience. Like you he acquired a number of first round picks one or two years out. He doesn't trade until basically the week of the rookie draft, and routinely moves back each draft. This year he has the 1.04 and 1.09. I fully expect him to move the 1.09 for a late second plus a future late first. He keeps trading back for a yearly supply of multiple firsts. 

Given that you have two already, gaining additional picks has an argument, but not to take 5 players in 2020. I would use that number of picks to set myself up for 2021-2023 by trading back each year or trading for established veterans. 

I am also a firm believer that picks are overrated and the hit rate for picks, even first rounders is too low to justify their 'attention'. You have a number of players in good to great positions for second and third year leaps. If I was you, I would only trade one of those rbs, and I would favor trading carson or barber much sooner than jones or guice. Trade carson for an additional pick or veteran and take two players in the 2020 draft and use that third pick as trade leverage for future drafts. 
Yea I am pretty heavily invested in last year's draft and am trying to build up 2020's stock as well but you have a have a point in using those picks to benefit future drafts as well.  I feel like I should be able to get something decent for Carson/Barber but who knows with this group

give: Guice and Jones

get: C Ridley and 3 1st rd 2020 picks (most likely mid to late) 
This is a great deal for you. IMO all 6 pieces in this deal are fairly similar to each other in value. At least they're close enough so that the worst 2 pieces in the deal are worth more than the best one. And you're getting 4 in exchange for 2.

Users who are viewing this thread