What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trampoline Park Parties — Parents, are you concerned? (1 Viewer)

Gary Coal Man

Footballguy
I had long known about reports like the one below that highlighted the injuries occurring at trampoline parks across America...

Trampoline parks exploding in popularity, but expert warns of "catastrophic injuries"

CBS News, March 29, 2019

On most weekends, trampoline parks are at capacity with hundreds of kids bouncing, jumping into pits, and playing tag. The popular theme parks have exploded into a billion-dollar industry. But in the last seven years, CBS News has confirmed at least six people have died from injuries at trampoline parks. That number could be even higher because many of those injured are often forced into arbitration and sign confidentiality agreements that stop them from speaking out, reports CBS News' Meg Oliver. 

The parks' popularity is leading to new cases for attorneys like David Chazen, who represents more than a dozen people injured at trampoline parks in New Jersey. In one video of a trampoline park that he showed us, you could see a father unknowingly causes what's known as a "double bounce." His 4-year-old son falls to the mat. "The force of the trampoline coming back up after the father's hop across broke the 4-year-old's femur," Chazen said.

It took almost a full minute before anyone, including the guard on duty, realized the child was squirming in pain.State lawmakers in Utah recently passed a new law to try to make trampoline parks safer. Utah joins at least seven other states requiring more oversight from insurance companies and annual inspections. In the U.S., all of them operate without any federal oversight.

Don McPherson has coached gymnastics for more than 40 years. Since 2011 he's been an expert witness in more than 200 plaintiff cases against trampoline parks. He said the injuries they can cause are life-altering. 

"Broken necks, broken backs, dislocated and open-fractured elbows, shoulders," McPherson said. "They're all catastrophic injuries."

McPherson said the danger lies in the design. Several trampolines are connected with steel cables or chain links under thin padding. As people jump, waves of energy are generated in all directions, which can cause those "double bounces" that can end in high-impact collisions.

"They're moving at speeds and with energy that when they hit or get hit by somebody else that's twice their weight, they end up with crush injuries," McPherson said.

I was never overly-concerned about reports like the one above, though, as I shepherded my daughter on the trampoline park birthday circuit.  

That changed during the trampoline park party I attended yesterday, however.  One of the boys at the party, a seven year old, came scurrying back to the parents with tears running down his cheeks.  I didn’t think much of it.  As parents of young kids know, bumps and bruises happen and kids often wildly overreact.  

The kid was saying his wrists hurt.  Both wrists.  They didn’t look bad, but just to be safe the parents took him to the hospital or clinic.  My wife later checked in with the mother to see if everything turned out OK.  But everything didn’t turn out OK.  Quite the opposite.  The boy broke both lower arm bones —on both arms.  Ouch!  What a horrible way for a little man to spend his Summer with both arms in casts.

Parents, have you witnessed any injuries on the trampoline park party circuit?  Do these parties concern you or is it just part of growing up and their are hidden dangers in loads of kids activities?

I actually hurt myself at one of these when I took my kids.  Did something to my hip that took about 6 months to recover from.

I think they’re fine as long as there is good supervision and people not following safety rules are addressed.   

I haven’t been to a trampoline park in several years, but I remember each area being broken out by age to limit just this kind of injury.

They are more dangerous than many kids activities. That said, my kids have been to them many times. So I guess Im mildly concerned, but not enough to keep them away. 

The one we go to most is VERY strict about enforcing weight-limited sections. It was not that way when we first started going, and I thought it was less fun as a result... but I sure think the way they do things now is helpful.

Remember when playgrounds were made of rusty steel with sharp edges, little to no guard railings, and hard, concrete pavement?   That was like a rite of passage kids don't have these days.  Does the Chuck E. Cheese ball pit still even exist?  If not, how do kids develop immune systems these days?

Was at one this weekend with my son and his friends.  They played dodge-ball most of the time, which I have zero concerns with compared to other areas of the tramp park they could be in.  My son and friend's are big basketball players so I asked them why they weren't in the hoops area trying to dunk and they said:  "They just told us bigger kids like us (12 yrs old) can't dunk any more, since a kid just broke his neck in there..."  

I thought WTF, should I be watching over them like a hawk?  But then I realized between organized sports such as baseball and football, snow skiing 30x per year, playing on friend's tramps, and playing tackle football with friends, he does stuff that could get him seriously hurt on almost a daily basis, so it's hard to draw a line at the tramp park.

Been to many - had my daughters parties there.

We stopped once she started playing competitive sports (12-13) - didn't want to risk an injury in season ...

Remember when playgrounds were made of rusty steel with sharp edges, little to no guard railings, and hard, concrete pavement?   That was like a rite of passage kids don't have these days.  Does the Chuck E. Cheese ball pit still even exist?  If not, how do kids develop immune systems these days?
the park i grew up at still has the metal tether ball pole and concrete slab. no more rope or tether ball, though.

nothing says growing up in the 80s more than taking a medicine ball on the end of a rope to the face at 40 mph more than that ####### contraption.  concussions, teeth missing, broke noses, black eyes.  tether ball had it all!

They are more dangerous than many kids activities. That said, my kids have been to them many times. So I guess Im mildly concerned, but not enough to keep them away. 
Same

Same concern that when they go on a ride that does 48 flips going 197mph that i hope they don't get whiplash or fly off the ride at 977ft in the air?

my niece broke her leg, in 3 places, at one last summer.  it was our idea to go.   :bag:    my kid is much more athletic.  we won't be visiting any of them this summer.
Ouch!  Sorry to hear that.  I hope everything healed up for her well.

Do you know if the break was a result of the “double bounce” dynamic referenced in the OP article?

I'm very laxed and carefree with these things but my wife keeps zating we should get a trampoline.

Thats a hard NO way.

With that thought process i shouldn't let my kids in these parks but they have gone...and survived  

I don't like them, but I'm also not going to keep my kid away from them when they get invited to them.  Because the injuries are cause and effect.  The cause to injuries isn't the trampoline park.  The cause to injuries are what people may do at them. And unlike what we got ourselves into as kids they're all supervised - some better than others though.  

But ultimately I'm accepting the risk because I think a lot of people's gripes about the current crop of teens/20's/30's isn't because of them.  It's because of their parents.  Their parents spent more time & energy protecting them vs. prior generations, so they get to adulthood and struggle functioning for themselves.  Most times when I'm presented with something new I err on the side of not protecting them.  We all learned on our own.  Kids today aren't any different.  Only adults are.  Kids can learn if you present them with opportunities.  So give them opportunities and hope the lessons they learn aren't painful ones.

Ouch!  Sorry to hear that.  I hope everything healed up for her well.

Do you know if the break was a result of the “double bounce” dynamic referenced in the OP article?
i'm unsure.  it was a spiral fracture, fairly common apparently.  my sister's kids come every summer and stay at my parents.  we are now a little gun-shy about doing anything physical with them.  

McPherson said the danger lies in the design. Several trampolines are connected with steel cables or chain links under thin padding. As people jump, waves of energy are generated in all directions, which can cause those "double bounces" that can end in high-impact collisions.
Weird, I wonder if that's the standard way of doing it? The ones my daughter went to all seemed like each jumping spot was it's own contained trampoline about 4'x4'. And they strictly enforced only 1 person per spot specifically to prevent double bounces. 

This is a weird line:

In the U.S., all of them operate without any federal oversight.

Do people think/expect there to be federal oversight of trampoline parks? Insanity.

I think they are probably more dangerous than most people realize, but this article leaves out a lot of information and seems awfully sensationalistic. They make the injury lawyer front and center without giving any statistics on what kind of injuries are most prevalent, number of injuries as a percentage, etc.

It's hard to judge true risk when the media hypes up all sorts of "dangers" so often. 

The one thing that definitely makes me pause are the number of stories that you guys have so quickly posted of personal experiences. 

This is a weird line:

Do people think/expect there to be federal oversight of trampoline parks? Insanity.

I think they are probably more dangerous than most people realize, but this article leaves out a lot of information and seems awfully sensationalistic. They make the injury lawyer front and center without giving any statistics on what kind of injuries are most prevalent, number of injuries as a percentage, etc.

It's hard to judge true risk when the media hypes up all sorts of "dangers" so often. 

The one thing that definitely makes me pause are the number of stories that you guys have so quickly posted of personal experiences. 
True

But how many people have personal 1st hand experience with someone almost

drowing at a lake/beach

Getting injured at an amusement park/fair

Normal local playground

It doesn't take much these days for anything to be sensationalized to the point where fear makes people's decisions for them over rationale.

Do people think/expect there to be federal oversight of trampoline parks? 
Actually, yes.  It was recently proposed in Congress (which I also knew about before yesterday’s party, but didn’t give much consideration.)

Dem senator calls for increased scrutiny of 'trampoline parks' (April 9, 2019)

Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) wants to crack down on so-called trampoline parks, warning such amusement parks are seeking to "avoid justice."

Six deaths have occurred at the parks since 2012 as well as a number of severe injuries, according to CBS News. Visitors to the parks are often asked to waive their right to sue by signing forced arbitration clauses.

"I was horrified, as a parent, not to mention a public official," Blumenthal told CBS News. "Trampoline parks want to avoid justice. They want to rig the system against anyone who is injured who may assert claims against them."

The number of trampoline parks has increased from 40 in 2011 to more than 800 today, according to the news outlet, and they are governed by voluntary safety standards rather than any federal oversight. The parks, Blumenthal told CBS, are "trying to hide individual deaths, the total number. Everything about these injuries that may cast them in a bad light."

The Fair Act, which Blumenthal sponsored in February, would eliminate forced arbitration clauses in consumer cases.

"One of the fundamental principles of our American democracy is that everyone gets their day in court," he said in a statement. "Forced arbitration deprives Americans of that basic right. This kind of injustice has to end."

"Congress should have a role here ... but the biggest deterrent to death and injury at these parks will be the park owners being hauled into court, held responsible, deemed culpable, having to pay," he told CBS.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s going to be difficult for members of Congress to vote against that Act when their “no” vote could be spun as them supposedly not caring about children getting injured.

Glad my kids are at an age where they've outgrown these hell-holes and are too busy playing actual sports.

trampolines scare the crap out of me when it comes to a bunch of kids jumping on one.  There are things you just can't control body wise when a bunch of people are all jumping at the same time.  It's hard for me to watch.  I won't ever plan one of these but have let me kids go to them (don't want to stop all fun and everything has some risk).  It's just not something I would go seek out. 

MAC_32 said:
I don't like them, but I'm also not going to keep my kid away from them when they get invited to them.  Because the injuries are cause and effect.  The cause to injuries isn't the trampoline park.  The cause to injuries are what people may do at them. And unlike what we got ourselves into as kids they're all supervised - some better than others though.  

But ultimately I'm accepting the risk because I think a lot of people's gripes about the current crop of teens/20's/30's isn't because of them.  It's because of their parents.  Their parents spent more time & energy protecting them vs. prior generations, so they get to adulthood and struggle functioning for themselves.  Most times when I'm presented with something new I err on the side of not protecting them.  We all learned on our own.  Kids today aren't any different.  Only adults are.  Kids can learn if you present them with opportunities.  So give them opportunities and hope the lessons they learn aren't painful ones.
:confused:  I think you missed the point about how physics cause terrible injuries. 

anyone has has bounced on a trampoline, or watched people bounce on a trampoline has seen one or all of the following:

broken arm

broken leg

broken ankle

dislocated limb (pick a limb)

cracked skull

lip bitten through

tongue bitten through

heads conked together resulting in stitches or knockout

splitting the rim, resulting in a nut shot

leg falling between the springs resulting in metal cutting the leg

springing off the trampoline and slamming either in to the outside rim of the trampoline before impacting the ground, or straight to the ground

and not just one off "i know a guy who said he knows a girl whose friend was dating a guy that..." stories. 

trampolines are just begging for maiming. 

which is part of the fun, i suppose?

comfortably numb said:
True

But how many people have personal 1st hand experience with someone almost

drowing at a lake/beach

Getting injured at an amusement park/fair

Normal local playground

It doesn't take much these days for anything to be sensationalized to the point where fear makes people's decisions for them over rationale.
Trampoline parks are relatively new compared to the activities you listed. The stats being complied are new as well so it's being presented to warn about its dangers that were previously unknown. I don't think anyone is trying to fear-monger. It's a matter of informing and educating so parents can decide what they want their kids participating in. 

anyone has has bounced on a trampoline, or watched people bounce on a trampoline has seen one or all of the following:
I was at a 2 year old's birthday party with an inflatable bounce house. The 2 year old broke her arm a hour into her party and had to get rushed to the hospital.
There's a reason some insurance carrier's exclude (or apply a higher deductible to) these bouncy activities from their coverage; their actuarial data tells them it's too costly to insure.

:confused:  I think you missed the point about how physics cause terrible injuries. 
Nah, I jumped on my fair share of trampolines as a kid.  And I'd much rather allow my kids to jump on them in one of these environments than in someone's "supervised" backyard on this sorta thing that's just begging for a human to either land awkwardly on the edge or somewhere off it.  We never decided when we were done trampoline jumping back in the day.  Whoever got injured first decided for us.

But more the below (what I wrote previously) than the above:

"But ultimately I'm accepting the risk because I think a lot of people's gripes about the current crop of teens/20's/30's isn't because of them.  It's because of their parents.  Their parents spent more time & energy protecting them vs. prior generations, so they get to adulthood and struggle functioning for themselves.  Most times when I'm presented with something new I err on the side of not protecting them.  We all learned on our own.  Kids today aren't any different.  Only adults are.  Kids can learn if you present them with opportunities.  So give them opportunities and hope the lessons they learn aren't painful ones."

Safety is certainly one priority in my children's development, but it's only just that - one.

broken arm

broken leg

broken ankle

dislocated limb (pick a limb)

cracked skull

lip bitten through

tongue bitten through

heads conked together resulting in stitches or knockout

splitting the rim, resulting in a nut shot

leg falling between the springs resulting in metal cutting the leg

springing off the trampoline and slamming either in to the outside rim of the trampoline before impacting the ground, or straight to the ground

and not just one off "i know a guy who said he knows a girl whose friend was dating a guy that..." stories. 

trampolines are just begging for maiming. 

which is part of the fun, i suppose?
I played on a trampoline daily as a kid. My friends came over all the time to do wrestling moves, all sorts of things on trampolines. I've seen 0 broken bones, 0 dislocations, 0 cracked skulls, 0 lips bitten, no head conks, no anything you listed above. I've also been to a few trampoline parks with the same results.

I played on a trampoline daily as a kid. My friends came over all the time to do wrestling moves, all sorts of things on trampolines. I've seen 0 broken bones, 0 dislocations, 0 cracked skulls, 0 lips bitten, no head conks, no anything you listed above. I've also been to a few trampoline parks with the same results.
reeks of lies

Trampoline parks are relatively new compared to the activities you listed. The stats being complied are new as well so it's being presented to warn about its dangers that were previously unknown. I don't think anyone is trying to fear-monger. It's a matter of informing and educating so parents can decide what they want their kids participating in. 
You sure about that?

"Everyone in the gymnastic community calls them death parks,"

Both my kids (son, 14 and daughter, 10) love all of the trampoline parks around town, especially the ones with dodgeball. I didn't really think much about injuries until the newest one that is close to the house. It has a multi-section Ninja Warrior type course that my son can't get enough of. If you fall, you land into a giant inflated crashpad. If you make it to the end, you drop down onto the floor.

The first time my son made it to the very end of the course, he dropped just a bit too early and while his body fell straight down into the crashpad, his face hit directly into the hard floor. Blacked an eye, busted his chin, pretty much knocked him silly for a while. I was right there when it happened, and it was hard and loud when he hit and looked a lot worse.

As I'm pulling him up, the owner barely even broke a sweat walking over and checking on him. I have read the waivers and they know what could happen and you sign away any liability. I will say we have spent 100s of hours in these parks and I haven't seen anything devastating, but the threat is there. I'm lucky, my kids pay attention and know their limits, and I helicopter the whole time we are there. Except when the massage chairs call my name.

... has a multi-section Ninja Warrior type course that my son can't get enough of. If you fall, you land into a giant inflated crashpad. If you make it to the end, you drop down onto the floor.

The first time my son made it to the very end of the course, he dropped just a bit too early and while his body fell straight down into the crashpad, his face hit directly into the hard floor. Blacked an eye, busted his chin, pretty much knocked him silly for a while. I was right there when it happened, and it was hard and loud when he hit and looked a lot worse.
Funny that you mention the Ninj Warrior style obstacle course.  I sent the mom of the injured kid a “Get Well” message today, and I shared the article we’re discussing here.

During our back and forth she noted her son broke both arms in a fall in the Ninja Warrior style obstacle course this trampoline park had, not on the trampolines themselves.

It's the perfect exercise, it'll double the value of our house, and it was free!  Free!
My oldest friend got one for his backyard and kids..... a month later it ended up causing his home owners insurance to rise after it was picked up during a thunderstorm and landed on a car three house down the street. It flew over two 2 story houses to get there. 

Users who are viewing this thread