What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Leftovers: How long are you willing to roll with them? (1 Viewer)

How long ago was it prepared before you won't eat it?

• Previous day. I don't do leftovers

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • More than 1-2 days ago

Votes: 33 21.3%
  • More than 3-4 days ago

Votes: 58 37.4%
  • More than 5-6 days ago

Votes: 34 21.9%
  • I'll eat something that's over a week old.

Votes: 23 14.8%

• Total voters

Captain Cranks

Footballguy
My SO and I have a difference of opinion on how long leftovers have been in the fridge before they need to be tossed.  I'm curious what the FFA thinks.  How long ago was a meal prepared before you won't eat it?

Last edited by a moderator:
We generally have leftover night for dinner every Monday.  We will clean out the fridge pretty much of anything that has been in there since the previous week.

However, if there was a holiday meal involved in there such as Thanksgiving where there were more leftover than my family could finish, I've had no apprehension eating leftovers that were over a week old.  I think about 9-10 days is the area where it gets tossed out.

People who don't eat leftovers are either bad cooks or bad money managers.
I’m a great cook and even better money manager. Part of that is knowing how to portion your food when you cook it. I also like to cook fresh meals so I’d rather cook two nights rather than one and reheat. 

I’m a great cook and even better money manager. Part of that is knowing how to portion your food when you cook it. I also like to cook fresh meals so I’d rather cook two nights rather than one and reheat. 
Sounds like you're saying you never HAVE leftovers, not that you don't EAT leftovers.

It's a little tougher when you have an active family each on their own schedules. My kids beg me to make extras so they can have leftovers for lunch/dinners. 

E-Z Glider said:
Sounds like you're saying you never HAVE leftovers, not that you don't EAT leftovers.

It's a little tougher when you have an active family each on their own schedules. My kids beg me to make extras so they can have leftovers for lunch/dinners. 
Well we have two adults and a toddler who just wants to eat fruit so admittedly it’s easier for us. But we’ve been together for a while - it’s pretty easy to look at a package of meat now and know how much we will need for dinner. 

Yesterday I made some homemade fried rice for dinner and wasn’t sure sure how much to make so I overdid it. Made for a good lunch today. 

Well I was at my daughters place on Saturday helping her with some things..she left to go to the store and I saw a carry out box from PF Changs in her fridge.  It was some spicy chicken, shrimp and veggie dish.  I warmed it up and ate it and it was delicious.   I told my daughter when she got home how good it was and she said "OMG...that was from 2 weeks ago before I went on vacation and I meant to throw it out"  :shrug:

gianmarco said:
I'll go over a week easily. If it still looks/smells good, I have no qualms about eating it.
Yep, especially if it's a fairly dry food, I have no problem nuking and eating it.

My wife will think stuff left over from the week before is fine, though it doesn't matter what day of the week before it was made.  IE, something made Monday is still good to her Friday of the next week.

Me, if it isn't same day, its not worth saving.

Anything good will get eaten within a couple of days anyway.  If it lasts more than a couple of days (exception, big batch of chili), it isn't good enough to eat again anyway.

it's pretty easy use your senses to see when food has spoiled.    If it looks ok and it smells ok, then it's ok.  At worst it's going to be dry or have a jacked up consistency.  

Voted 3-4 days, I’m sure I have gone longer, but usually if I haven’t eaten it by then it’s not something I’m too interested in anyway.  Usually I take any leftovers for lunch the next day

we rarely plan to have leftovers for dinner, occasionally  if I’m making pulled pork or something that takes a lot of time and effort, or if we know we have a busy day coming up and won’t have time for cooking the next night

because you cooked a big batch of it.  

A pot of chili or something like pulled pork -- that goes in the trash after 24h?    Seems crazy, but whatever works.  
Ooooh I freeze soups. Big gallon bags, right into the deep freezer. I will eat that for a few days after though. 

Love to grab a bag of soup out of the deep freezer for an easy meal. 

I think 4 days is my absolute max.   And with certain foods, I start feeling weird after like day 2.

I have ribs in the fridge from 8 days ago.  Will either eat tonight or tomorrow.  I won't go this long with most foods, but pork seems to have a longer shelf life.  I doubt I'd go any longer than this though.

If it looks and smells good, why is it still there a week later?
There are certain foods I won't at my office desk and I workout over lunch.  My wife cooks dinner most nights, so if we have a weekend like this past one in which I need a mobile lunch (if I won't eat it at my desk I obviously won't eat it mobile either) it can just sit there.  We have kids baseball the next two nights, so she won't cook and I'll finally eat the ribs I bypassed the same time last week for salmon and brisket.

just finished the last few pieces of pizza leftovers from last Thursday night.
:X   Pizza is one of the rare foods that I won't go past 2-3 days.  Not because I'm afraid to get sick, but because I know it's not going to taste good.  

I love leftovers, but I am pretty much just a week (or less).  I seem to cook in larger quantities on the weekend.  The next weekend on Sunday before grocery shopping I toss leftovers from the prior weekend.  However, often we end up eating it all.  Wife and I have been trying to eat better and one way we do that is cooking more at home and eating leftovers on lazy nights instead of eating out or driving thru.

I'll usually go 3-5 days, but I've occasionally pushed it to a week.

surprisingly (or not), eating leftovers has never made me sick, but I've gone to the hospital with food poisoning after eating "fresh" food from a restaurant THREE times!

gianmarco said:
I'll go over a week easily. If it still looks/smells good, I have no qualms about eating it.
Same here. I'll throw out week-old meat but I have no reservations about stuff made with noodles and vegetables.

I'll usually go 3-5 days, but I've occasionally pushed it to a week.

surprisingly (or not), eating leftovers has never made me sick, but I've gone to the hospital with food poisoning after eating "fresh" food from a restaurant THREE times!
That's because you're not being poisoned by the food, but by bacteria that was artificially introduced to the food -- either by the restaurant, or by its suppliers.

Sometimes the bacteria isn't even on the food -- it's on your utensils or your glass. That's often why you and your friends can all eat the same stuff at the same restaurant and only one of you gets sick.

Unless you count marinara sauce by itself, I don't do leftovers.  I will add old red gravy to new noodles and meat tho

I'm right there with the majority.  3-4 days seems to be the max.  Don't really eat leftovers besides pizza anyways and it's usually got within 2-3 anyways.

:X   Pizza is one of the rare foods that I won't go past 2-3 days.  Not because I'm afraid to get sick, but because I know it's not going to taste good.  
Pizza crust is generally what sinks long-term storage -- if there were a good way to reconstitute the crust on or after that second day in the fridge, it would work.

Unless you count marinara sauce by itself, I don't do leftovers.  I will add old red gravy to new noodles and meat tho
Acid content helps a lot -- marinara has a fairly long shelf life in the fridge. A week for sure is no problem.

[Tangent: I do fried rice at home all the time. Do you use a little sesame oil to flavor it (not to coat the pan) to get that restaurant flavor?]
I don't, but I will try it next time.
A little goes a long way. A teaspoon or maybe 1.5 tsp of sesame oil -- thoroughly mixed in, of course -- is plenty for ~2 cups of white rice (ignoring whatever you mix in).

Users who are viewing this thread