What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Deadnaming And Responsibility (1 Viewer)

Should Deadnaming Somebody Result In Banning From Social Media Platforms?

• Yes

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • No

Votes: 24 54.5%
  • Depends

Votes: 15 34.1%

• Total voters
As far as your second question, that’s not for us to decide. I find it interesting that suddenly people are treating social media restrictions as if they’re a form of censorship. 

A person should be referred to by the name they have chosen to go by (within reason like Prince with that unpronounceable symbol) and it is irrelevant why they have chosen to do so. It is a matter of common courtesy.

Tim brought up what I was about to. Mohammad Ali changed his name from Cassius Clay and it was generally those who were racist bigots at the time who refused to accept that and insisted on calling him Cassius Clay despite his wishes.

Last edited by a moderator:
A person should be referred to by the name they have chosen to go by (within reason like Prince with that unpronounceable symbol) and it is irrelevant why they have chosen to do so. It is a matter of common courtesy.

Tim brought up what I was about to. Mohammad Ali changed his name from Cassius Clay and it was generally those who were racist bigots at the time who refused to accept that and insisted on calling him Cassius Clay despite his wishes.
They weren’t all bigots. Joe Frazier called him Clay in order to troll him and psych him out. Still disrespectful though. 

Speaking of disrespect. Here is a right wing hero in this forum, Ben Shapiro, addressing trangender Zoey Tur (Katy Tur's biological father) as "Sir" which causes Zoey to tell to him "You cut this out now, or you go home in an ambulance."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgQy70_LPS4

Shapiro later filed charges with the LAPD against Tur for assault, which were not pursued by the DA's office.

You should call people by the name they prefer.  People who deadname other people intentionally are just being jerks.  I voted "it depends" because I'm thinking of cases where somebody uses the wrong pronoun to refer to a person whose preferred pronoun doesn't align with their gender presentation.  For example, a person who appears masculine to an outside observer but insists on using "she/her" or "they/them" pronouns.  I suppose that's not technically deadnaming but it's a closely related issue.

Deplatforming is nearly always wrong and is much more offensive than deadnaming, so the second question is an easy no.

There is sufficient ugliness and hardship in the world with me not deliberately adding to it.  If I inadvertently and without malice get it wrong when presented with mixed or confusing social cues, well that happens, forgive and forget, or don't, that is not on me.  Another's issues are not my main responsibility, I don't have to be on alert all the time and presumed to be ignorant if I don't catch unclear cues..  Presume a non-malignant heart in others, that's part of being comfortable in who you are.

Do you apply this when people call Trump "Drumpf"?

If they changed their name legally, then you call them by that name. If not, then I would consider it a nickname.

Chad Johnson - Chad Ochocinco - Chad Johnson.

If they changed their name legally, then you call them by that name. If not, then I would consider it a nickname.

Chad Johnson - Chad Ochocinco - Chad Johnson.
Do you call anyone named William, Bill?  If so, why?

They weren’t all bigots. Joe Frazier called him Clay in order to troll him and psych him out. Still disrespectful though. 
Ali said worse about many of his opponents. I chalk all of that up to pre-fight mind games and promotion. This is different imo.

Do you call anyone named William, Bill?  If so, why?
Depends. One of my bosses was named Michael. That's what he wanted to be called. But, there were people that called him Mike. He didn't like it. But, didn't make a big deal about it.

That isn't considered deadnaming, per the OP definition.

And I am on record as against all derogatory nicknames for politicians or people (as you should well know from the Kaepernick thread)
Drumpf = Krappy & K-stink in your book, right?

I respect that

For the sake of the thread, maybe the DJT stuff should go to a different thread. Otherwise, it’s going to take this one over like a plague.

On a related note, I have a difficult time with using "they" when a person chooses that as his or her personal pronoun. Its just grammatically incorrect. 

Perhaps if I could better understand the reason behind that choice, I would be better at using it.

:goodposting:

why is Theodore/Edward called Ted. Where did the H go?How did the T appear for Edward
There are a few names like that.  Thomas and Tom is one and when I see someone spell their name Thom, it just looks wrong. 

People named Henry go by Hank.

Mathew is usually Matt.  Why the extra T?

William is Bill.  Why Bill instead of Will?

There are a few names like that.  Thomas and Tom is one and when I see someone spell their name Thom, it just looks wrong. 

I’ve heard Bill, Billy, Liam, Will, and Willy.  All stemming from William.  I don’t find any of those out of the ordinary.

Matthew - Matt

Mathew - Mat (usually European)

Depends. One of my bosses was named Michael. That's what he wanted to be called. But, there were people that called him Mike. He didn't like it. But, didn't make a big deal about it.
What if someone wanted to be called Mike, would you call them that?  And why?

Is this the good discussion you were seeking earlier this morning in another thread?   

I can assure you I'm not owning the liberals when I refer to Ron Artest instead of Metta World Peace.
You're right.  It didn't add to the discussion and I apologize.

What I meant to say is that if a person changed their sex and then their name that certain people may continue calling them by their original name because they don't agree with their life choice.

Not totally accurate as many black folk referred to Ali as Clay for years after the name change.  Joe Frazier also refused to call him Ali, only Clay.

What if someone wanted to be called Mike, would you call them that?  And why?
If they introduced themselves as Mike, that's what I would call them. Since I wouldn't know any different. 

If I grew up with someone and called them Michael, I would still call them Michael. Even if others call them Mike now.

Those are abbreviations of their real name. When someone changes their name legally, I would call them by their new name. The example of Caitlyn Jenner, does she get upset whether you call her Kate or Bruce?

Not totally accurate as many black folk referred to Ali as Clay for many years after the name chance.  Joe Frazier also refused to call him Ali, only Clay.
Not any that I knew, although I did see a lot of white folks insist on calling him that due to his taking a Muslim name.

if its ok for people to call me redneck, Trumpster or Trumpie or whatever, homophobic, cisgender etc etc

then they should accept names they're called right?

it works both ways 

if its ok for people to call me redneck, Trumpster or Trumpie or whatever, homophobic, cisgender etc etc

then they should accept names they're called right?

it works both ways 
False equivalency.

We are talking about respecting and using a name someone has chosen for themselves. You are equating that with derogatory nicknames chosen by others to ridicule someone. Not even close to the same thing.

False equivalency.

We are talking about respecting and using a name someone has chosen for themselves. You are equating that with derogatory nicknames chosen by others to ridicule someone. Not even close to the same thing.
But aren't you claiming that someone calling Jenner "Bruce" is doing so in a derogatory fashion?

Users who are viewing this thread