What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: Season Long Prize Every Team Can Compete For (1 Viewer)

nittanylion

Footballguy
So I run a 14-Team Dyn League (expanded to 16 in 2007, contracted back to 14 this offseason). Franchise Fee $300. With 16 Teams, this created a $4800 prize pool, of which $4600 was distributed to Playoff Teams, with $200 going towards League Expenses (League Mgmt Software (MFL), and a small stipend to the Commish)...

Post contraction, with the prize pool reduced to $4200, I suggested an increase, and we voted to increase Franchise Fee to $350 for this Season, with an eye towards raising to $400 at some point down the road. This raised the Prize Pool to $4900. Initially I passed the extra $100 on to the League, incorporating none into League Expenses, and now I've decided to add $30 of League Expense $, bringing the total of extra $ to $130, because we play a 13-game Season, which seems poetic for a Season-Long Prize, and in reality, I won't miss the $30 enough not to sacrifice it for the good, and fun, of the League.

I'm looking for ideas for a Season-Long Prize that ALL 14 TEAMS can compete for. Bear in mind that this League is going into Year 19, and we embrace the fact that at some point, roughly half the League is going to decide that it's time to play for 2020 and beyond. A specifically defined form of tanking is a recognized and accepted strategy in our League, so prizes like Highest Total Points/Season aren't going to be prizes that it's in the best interest of every Team to compete for.

I designed a 7-Team Playoff Format when we expanded to 16 Teams, which we are keeping post contraction. It's really 6+1, as the 7th Seed is a ******* stepchild. We award only the one, true best Team the coveted #1 Seed and Bye. #7 must not only play the #2 Seed in the opening Round, but if it loses, it wins nothing, and if it advances, no matter how far, it's final prize is always 'X-$200'. Current Prizes are: Champ/$2000, Runner-up/$1000, Final Four losers $500, 1st Round losers $300 (if you make the Playoffs as a Top 6 Seed, you get your money back/break even). So, $130 isn't much, but it's something, and I want it to be something that EVERY TEAM IN THE LEAGUE CAN COMPETE FOR, regardless of how their Season plays out.

I'm sure the collective mind that is this place has some great ideas for this type of prize, and I'm all ears. TIA, will answer yours, and all that jizmatazz jazz...

You can split it up for the highest individual scoring week for each of your starting positions.  So if Andy Dalton is on your bench and by some stroke of luck he throws for 500 yards and 6 TDs, he can win you a share of that pot.

Another league I'm in set up a side game where you would get points every time your roster in Week+1 beat the players who comprised the optimal lineup from the previous week. For simplicity, say you start 1QB/1RB/1WR/1TE and the top scorers in Week 1 are Mahomes/CMC/Nuk/Kelce.  In Week 2, your starting lineup has to beat what those four guys put up in Week 2.  Admittedly, this is a harder one to do in a dynasty league where people are playing for the future.

Thanks for responding, tf. Unfortunately, my guys are all deep-pocket types, most of who play in various national high stakes contests and other local Leagues with buy-ins ranging from $250-$500. After a brutal ribbing, they'd just send me back to the blackboard, chalk in hand, if I put forth an idea that paid out $10/week, I'm pretty sure. It has to be a Season Long Prize for the whole $130...but I'm grateful for your input. Thanks!

@nittanylion

Do an NFL picks pool, against the spread or not.  Everyone gets a ten dollar entry for the 130 dollar prize.

Avoid games where there's an advantage to the commish for submitting last or where it takes a lot of effort to administer. Myfantasyleague does a couple pools as part of the site, we've used that for years and love it.  It even gives you a reminder each week where you get your lineup reminder.  

Bet on the league winner. Everyone who is right splits the prize. If you bet on the overwhelming favorite you might each get 12 bucks. Bet on a dark horse and you might get the whole 130. But since everyone knows that, it's possible the top teams only get one or two people so there's some gamesmanship.  

Same thing but bet on who comes in 7th (or 5th, or whichever team just misses the playoffs). That's a great one for trash talk leagues.  Everyone's rooting against their guy the last week or two.  

(Side note - I prefer side bets where the winner plays free. So if 11 eople play that would be 40 bucks each (winner gets 40x10 equals 400 and the winner gets a free entry). If 5 people play it's 100 bucks each and the winner gets the 400 entry fee plus their original hundred. We do this with an NFL picks pool and again with a playoff fantasy contest and it starts out easy going but gets pretty competitive by the end of the season.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Survivor style contest - works perfectly for 14 teams.

Each week, the lowest scoring team is eliminated, the rest advance.

The team that gets all the way to the end without being the lowest scorer (of those left), wins the pot.

Make it something that could reward any team, but may actually favor aggressive rebuilders,

Give the prize to the team that accrues the most fantasy points in the season, but only count points scored by the rookies on their roster.

Can the prize be non-monetary, like bonus draft picks or something? For people with money, that might be more valuable, and all owners could use extra draft picks regardless of how their team is doing or their financial situation. 

Survivor pool mentioned earlier sounds like a good idea, too.

I have a few prizes that are intended to be exactly that. Copied from my bylaws so you'd need tweaks to money, season length language, etc. If it's not auction you can just toss out the whole Dollar Dandy idea. :D  

Beatdown Bonus: $30 - Largest Winning Margin - Regular Season (13 weeks)

Champion's Bane: $30 - Largest Winning Margin vs. League Champion - Regular Season (13 weeks - determined after week 16 when the Champion is crowned)

Legal Tender: $30 - First Offensive Player Making Legal News *1*

*1* Legal Tender award is determined if/when an article about a new incident that occurs during the 16 week fantasy season is published online during the regular season.

Dollar Dandy: $30 - Highest Scoring $1 Player Drafted *2* - Regular Season (13 weeks)

*2* Dollar Dandy will be paid to the owner that originally drafted the player, regardless of current team status. Players must be on the team to which they were drafted for a minimum of 3 weeks (i.e. locked onto roster Sunday - Tuesday) to be eligible for this award. (This is to prevent roster spamming on draft day with positions more likely to score the most points.)

Waiver Wire Warrior: $30 - Highest Total Starting Lineup Points Scored by an Undrafted Player *3* - Regular Season (13 weeks)

*3* This will require some assistance from each owner, as they can submit a player to the commissioner for review regarding this award. Only players that are not listed on the league Draft Results page are eligible, and only points they scored while in the starting lineup for the team that submits them for review will count. Kickers and DSTs are not eligible.

Users who are viewing this thread