What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Civil War Days Cancelled -- People don't want to be reminded of slavery (2 Viewers)

Battersbox

Footballguy
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/civil-war-reenactment-cancelled-again-after-reinstatement-511779701.html

Forest Preserve President unilaterally cancels a 27-year event because he doesn't like it for various reasons. He gets push back and reinstates the event, only to cancel it AGAIN days later due to 'safety concerns'. These 'concerns' apparently stem from threats by certain groups to protest the affair. What exactly they'd be protesting is unclear. The only complaints voiced so far have been the appearance of the Confederate flag during the battle and the 'reminder' that slavery once existed in the U.S.

The implication is that Civil War Days and reenactments are inherently racist. I can find NOBODY who's ever actually attended one of these events who agrees with that. Are people really so obtuse? 

Not getting that from the article at all.
It's a two-part story. This link explains the original cancellation a couple of weeks ago. Quotes from the Board President explain his thinking (I guess)

https://herald-review.com/news/state-and-regional/illinois-official-calls-for-end-to-county-s-civil-war/article_be6382a0-0c20-5f78-8469-a86e4fb95e2e.html

“There were a considerable number of Confederate flags and a number of other things I took into consideration,” Kyle said.

In 2015, the district staged Civil War Days shortly after South Carolina removed the battle flag from its state Capitol. At the time, forest preserves officials said Confederate flags were not being displayed inappropriately at the Lake County event and were used in a historical context.

Kyle said on Tuesday that history is written by the victors, and he believes there is only one side to the story being told at re-enactment events.

“Our ancestors told us what really happened. Did you know that black soldiers were put on the front line in the North and Southern front lines so they would be killed first?” he asked fellow board members.

“There should be some consideration taken for that,” Kyle said, adding that he also feels some people are tired of the event.

I’m not the only one who giggled when reading they were gonna do this event near a city named Wauconda, right?

What is the purpose of battle re-enactment from the Civil War?  That question could apply to any war, but specifically the Civil War, why revisit one of the darkest events in our country’s history?

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not the only one who giggled when reading they were gonna do this event near a city named Wauconda, right?

What is the purpose of battle re-enactment from the Civil War?  That question could apply to any way, but specifically the Civil War, why revisit one of the darkest events in our country’s history?
Why study ANY history? The answer is to learn from it and hopefully avoid repeating our mistakes. While it was horrific for those involved, I think most people would agree it was a necessary war and the outcome changed the course of our country for the better. 

What is the purpose of battle re-enactment from the Civil War?  That question could apply to any way, but specifically the Civil War, why revisit one of the darkest events in our country’s history?
my cousin was totally into the battle re-enactments in his early 20s.  had the full outfit and everything.  he was a real civil war buff.  some people enjoy it :shrug:

Why are they doing a reenactment in place where there was no battle? They reenact a battle from Alabama. I mean it seems odd. So I'm kind of in the who cares camp. I wouldn't be offended if they had it and I don't care if it gets cancelled. Now if they were reenacting a local battle? I'd be more on the learning history side of it. As far as the events themselves? I've only been to one and it was years ago. But there was nothing inherently racist about it. I mean there were people there playing both sides and IIRC it was a battle the north won which was historically accurate for the area. Lots of cool stuff going on.

Well, there doing a reenactment in a place where there was no battle because people here are interested in it. Why does it matter if the battle they reenact is nowhere near here? I could see it being odd if there had been a battle near this spot, and they chose to reenact something else entirely, but northern Illinois has no battlefields, so in effect they picked something else. I believe they DID pick a battle which had Illinois regiments involved, so that makes sense. 

And I'm not expecting anyone to care if this particular event is cancelled. But the point is, thousands of locals like this event and see value in it from a historical perspective. Now, after 27 years, there is apparently a growing feeling that it is inappropriate for what are foolish reasons (at least to me). I've looked at various comments on social media, and it seems the reflexive reaction of some people (usually young people who might fall under the SJW umbrella) is that it's racist and dumb to be reliving this portion of our past. 

Nobody cites any reasons for their displeasure other than 'there are confederate flags involved' or 'there was slavery then!'. It's mind boggling to me.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/civil-war-reenactment-cancelled-again-after-reinstatement-511779701.html

Forest Preserve President unilaterally cancels a 27-year event because he doesn't like it for various reasons. He gets push back and reinstates the event, only to cancel it AGAIN days later due to 'safety concerns'. These 'concerns' apparently stem from threats by certain groups to protest the affair. What exactly they'd be protesting is unclear. The only complaints voiced so far have been the appearance of the Confederate flag during the battle and the 'reminder' that slavery once existed in the U.S.

The implication is that Civil War Days and reenactments are inherently racist. I can find NOBODY who's ever actually attended one of these events who agrees with that. Are people really so obtuse? 
Ok. Sounds good. Slavery never happened. :sarcasm:  for those of you waiting to report this post.

This country is really swirling the bowl now.

Never understood Civil War reenactment or glory. 

How about we have a 9/11 reenactment though and throw in how not even twenty years later how our POTUS wants to sell the country from where most of the perpetrators were from WMDs?  Oh yeah they also recently tortured and murdered an American citizen. 

Maybe reenactments are a good reminder. 

Well, there doing a reenactment in a place where there was no battle because people here are interested in it. Why does it matter if the battle they reenact is nowhere near here? I could see it being odd if there had been a battle near this spot, and they chose to reenact something else entirely, but northern Illinois has no battlefields, so in effect they picked something else. I believe they DID pick a battle which had Illinois regiments involved, so that makes sense. 

And I'm not expecting anyone to care if this particular event is cancelled. But the point is, thousands of locals like this event and see value in it from a historical perspective. Now, after 27 years, there is apparently a growing feeling that it is inappropriate for what are foolish reasons (at least to me). I've looked at various comments on social media, and it seems the reflexive reaction of some people (usually young people who might fall under the SJW umbrella) is that it's racist and dumb to be reliving this portion of our past. 

Nobody cites any reasons for their displeasure other than 'there are confederate flags involved' or 'there was slavery then!'. It's mind boggling to me.
Ok if it had some tie to the area that gets you the historical context which makes more sense and adds some weight to the event. And again my I dont care wasn't so cancel it it was more I wasn't outraged either way. If people want to do it, it has historical context and the community supports it then rock on. 

I understand 99% of people don't have much interest in this. I'm a bit of a history nerd and majored in History in college, so I have an affinity most people don't. 

What rankles me and made me actually start a topic is the increasingly pervasive idea that if something offends somebody, it must be cancelled. Whatever happened to simply thinking to yourself 'hey, it's not for me, so I'm not going to participate???'

Too many people today think their sensibilities simply MUST be shared by everyone, and about no other subject is that more true than the perception of racism. I read the Board President's comments more than 2 weeks ago and I STILL can't believe someone could be that obtuse. His comments are just nonsensical. But, because people are afraid to be seen as racist (he is African American himself), he is never even really seriously challenged on them. 

More of this delete history junk because it hurts my feelings. Apart from the fact it serves the purpose of learning from past mistakes, it's a fascinating look into where early Americans came from, daily life in those days, and what Americans of that era valued compared to modern times. But I'm a history nerd, so maybe I see it in a different light.

I understand 99% of people don't have much interest in this. I'm a bit of a history nerd and majored in History in college, so I have an affinity most people don't. 

What rankles me and made me actually start a topic is the increasingly pervasive idea that if something offends somebody, it must be cancelled. Whatever happened to simply thinking to yourself 'hey, it's not for me, so I'm not going to participate???'

Too many people today think their sensibilities simply MUST be shared by everyone, and about no other subject is that more true than the perception of racism. I read the Board President's comments more than 2 weeks ago and I STILL can't believe someone could be that obtuse. His comments are just nonsensical. But, because people are afraid to be seen as racist (he is African American himself), he is never even really seriously challenged on them. 
To be fair it is on public lands. The public does have an interest in what happens there and how the land is used. Further it does sound like he got challenged or he wouldn't have backed down the first time. As to security issues now I wouldn't be surprised if threats were made, likely by people who have zero to actually do with the reenactment, and after Charlottesville people are reluctant to bring that to their towns.

More of this delete history junk because it hurts my feelings. Apart from the fact it serves the purpose of learning from past mistakes, it's a fascinating look into where early Americans came from, daily life in those days, and what Americans of that era valued compared to modern times. But I'm a history nerd, so maybe I see it in a different light.
History is not being deleted. If it was my job would be a lot easier.

And these reenactments are about as useful when it comes to learning history as a Bazooka Joe comic when it comes learning literature.

History is not being deleted. If it was my job would be a lot easier.

And these reenactments are about as useful when it comes to learning history as a Bazooka Joe comic when it comes learning literature.
I think reactments is more of a hobby for some people then history.   History is slowly getting white wash in this country.  

I also majored in history and completely understand.   

Countless examples of streets, buildings, schools getting renamed.  Statues, monuments are taken down or vandalized.  Real example, they are replacing the Woodrow Wilson middle school and it appears it will get renamed as he supported segregation.  

Countless examples of streets, buildings, schools getting renamed.  Statues, monuments are taken down or vandalized.  Real example, they are replacing the Woodrow Wilson middle school and it appears it will get renamed as he supported segregation.  
How is that a “white wash”?

I love history as much as you do. I love Civil War Re-enactments- we have them in Orange County sometimes lol. 

The problem is that modern day racists have grabbed ownership of the Confederate battle flag. If they hadn’t done so, this wouldn’t be as big an issue. 

How does that change the history?  Or keep people from being taught history?

Do you think someone learns history because a school is named Woodrow Wilson?

Last edited by a moderator:
How does that change the history?  Or keep people from being taught history?

Do you think someone learns history because a school is named Woodrow Wilson?
I think it promotes history, might spark some interest and hopefully the school promotes why the school is named.  

True story, I had a client years ago that was bisexual. He loved these things because he said it was a big up hook up event. 

One time his wife offered herself to me. I declined. A year later she offered a threesome or even a foursome with my wife. Again, I declined. 

True story, I had a client years ago that was bisexual. He loved these things because he said it was a big up hook up event. 

One time his wife offered herself to me. I declined. A year later she offered a threesome or even a foursome with my wife. Again, I declined. 
Ah, but you could have played General Hancock.

To me it means, painting over something.  
I hate to inform you but your definition is incorrect.

White washing:

“Hitler really whipped Germany into shape yet other world powers intervened.”

“Rex Grossman’s amazing drive and talent weren’t enough to lead a mediocre Bear team to multiple Super Bowl victories.”

Reenactments are definitely weird. And do the opposite of educating. People doing those appear to be enjoying themselves. Civil War battles, by all accounts, were utterly horrific.

Reenactments are definitely weird. And do the opposite of educating. People doing those appear to be enjoying themselves. Civil War battles, by all accounts, were utterly horrific.
Why is reenacting history weird to you? Genuine question. Does it apply to all history or just war stuff?

I hate to inform you but your definition is incorrect.

White washing:

“Hitler really whipped Germany into shape yet other world powers intervened.”

“Rex Grossman’s amazing drive and talent weren’t enough to lead a mediocre Bear team to multiple Super Bowl victories.”
I hate to inform you but I just told what it means to me.  I understand the technical definition. 

Are you saying it is good that this was cancelled? If so, why? 

And to those of you saying this isn't a great way to learn about history, I think you're very wrong. But, even if you were right, why would you care one way or another if these occur? They don't cost the Forest Preserve District money (ours may even have been a revenue-maker, though I'm not sure about that). 

Users who are viewing this thread