What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Proper etiquette while being a customer in Retail (1 Viewer)

DJackson10

Footballguy
Working in retail for 15 yrs (Literally half my life) I've realized and seen some pretty messed up things from employees and customers and management. However nothing drives an employee more crazy then when you are a professional to the customer and they show very little care in the world about you. 

First and foremost lets go over some rules

1. When Shopping if you need a cart don't go #####ing to the first employee you see. I've come into work with no uniform on yet getting ready to go to the lockers to put my stuff on and I already got someone in my face cause they know I work there. Calmly go to the Customer Service desk as they will gladly help

2. While shopping if you see an employee in a rush and our something in their hand like a cart or whatever they are either helping a customer, putting a display up or something else productive. Please either move out of their way quickly or pay attention. Other customers also hate people not paying attention. Time is money. 

3. If an employee has food in their hand they most likely are either going on break or going home. Please don't stop them to ask them questions. Some employees won't mind but for those having a rough day its the last thing they want is being bothered while on a break. Breaks are time in most companies. Most of the time an employee will be apologetic and say they aren't on the clock. Don't try to snake your way into them helping you

4. Please read all the advertising for sales. Some stores follow a producer where if you spend X amount for their product, or you need the app of the store internet coupon for the sale. Also when it says 10 for 10 unless it says must buy all 10 you don't need too. Don't argue with employee because you read the ad wrong. Just apologize for the in convince. If th product is wrong by our mistake we will depending on our policy let you get it for free or for the sale price at that time. My company has a if it's wrong and it is $10 or more it's free for the exception of electronics and alcohol sales. 

5. When at a register if it's an express don't be that clown that comes up with more items in their cart the what is said on the sign. If it's 10 or less or 15 or less don't come up with 20 or more items. 1-2 extra usually won't be an issue but just keep in mind some stores have charged in the past for bringing in more items. Also don't be that person complaining about the amount of items and trying to sucker a cashier into taking you. It's not fair if a customer buying 2-5 items comes up and has to wait for your lazy ### to be rung up simple cause you couldn't wait like an adult at another register. 

6. If a line is predominately for certain customers or items don't try to come into the lane unless an employee manager or cashier allows it. I work beer and wine in PA with some unusual alcohol laws and only have designated registers for beer/wine. Don't be that person who doesn't have those items and has 20 items get into a busy line during rush hour simple because it was the first line you saw. Most of the time I see the express has 1-2 people. Walk down there. It also upsets the customers coming in for that one item of beer/wine lemons/lime etc for their drinks. Now they are upset and when they get to me I get to hear about it. That person has one line they can go too while you have 3-4. 

7. When an employee asks for ID just do it. Don't yell at them as they don't make the rules. If you aren't satisfied with the cashiers response ask them nicely to call a manager over. Don't try to be an entitled jackass because it won't get you far. That usually makes the manager's job even easier and sides with their employee and not you. If a line is beginning behind when you leave apologize for any inconvenience

8. When going to a line please be ready. Have items up, method of payment ready, ID if needed and any coupons you have. A store type card or an internet rewards program can be typed into the EFT pad as well. Absolutely do not come in line while on your DAM PHONE!!! It is the rudest thing a customer can do. Some places such as getting your prescriptions at my local rite aide will refuse service to anyone who comes up on their phone. We cannot properly give you the Customer service you need or deserve if on the phone. If you are rung up and say Oh I forgot my card don't get mad at the cashier. You were on your phone thats your fault. Most of the time the cashier asks if you have the card or coupons but you were distracted on your phone. Either finish the call before coming in line or tell the person you will call back. 

9. If you have kids it's not our responsibility to watch them. Pay attention if they are in employees or customers way. I've had kids knock over displays and parents don't do anything and walk away like they didn't do anything. Pay attention when walking too. If you knock something over apologize and offer to help clean it up. People run into my floral section at work constantly as they aren't paying attention knocking flowers over that have buckets of water in them. it inconveniences us to pick up after you.

10. When in line if theres a huge line go to customer service and ask if they can get more cashiers. In no way do you tell them to call a manager up to check. Most managers don't know how and most stores the managers are not trained to check unless they run the department with the cashiers or behind the service desk. Most of the time managers can't be bothered coming up nor care. Trust me I've had ASD's, Grocery managers etc who refuse to not be bothered. 

11. When asking for a product and we say we don't have it in stock don't bully the person to go in the back and double check. If a person says we don't have it we don't have it right now. I've had someone tell me well a truck pulled in can you find it in there? Look lady I don't know if the product will even be on there as sometimes stuff we order doesn't come in. Second we get 5-10 pallets of stuff coming in not including whats back there. For me to check all of that right now will take up over an hour at least. If we don't have it we don't have it

12. If you have a complaint about an employee please tell the service desk and ASK FOR A MANAGER. Then go on the company website and file a customer complaint. Some managers don't care about customer complaining so your best corse of action to see results is email the company itself on the issue. It's the only way somethings are handled when higher ups get involved. 

13. This one bugs me a lot. Don't come into the store and if something is wrong or you feel you are not being treated well bring up you know someone in the company. If you are being a jerk we don't care. Also how are we suppose to know if you even know said person? I have guy who comes in constantly who is self-serving entitled jackass and brags how he knows one of the big shots in my company he apparently plays golf with. I think legit they only played twice and that was 10 yrs ago. 

14. Treat the employees the way you'd want to be treated. Don't come in like an entitled jackass. No one likes it not even the customer behind you. Their job as an employee is hard enough some days. Don't be that person that gets online with video for berating some cashier or customer. Like I already stated if you are one the manager is taking the employees side. Also if you see another customer belittling an employee or making comments don't be afraid to say something to them. You have a right to stand up for them. If you aren't comfortable get another employee or go up to the service desk and ask to see a manager ASAP. Also keep the discussions non controversial. No one wants to hear your political banter. We were running a fundraiser for the Haiti Hurricane victims yrs ago and the guy told the cashier he wasn't going to support those N***ers. He went on a tirade and my one manager kicked him out empty handed cops were called. Also if an employee is great don't hesitate to write a review, call the company and tell them what a great job they did etc. Most companies reward that employee with a free lunch or something. 

15. If you are in a big line if capable bag your stuff. Its brutal being a checker and the last thing the cashier wants to do is bag a $300-400 grocery order with a willing healthy customer just standing there and watching them. It's also rude as theres customers behind you. Don't be that person who says "oh I have to bag my own stuff?" no you don't have to but common courtesy if you have a lot is to help bag your stuff especially if the next thing that comes out of your mouth is complaining how the cashier bagged it. 

16. Cashiers hate the wise ### remarks. If it doesn't ring up don't say "Oh I guess is free" and that other bull####, We hear it enough and you aren't funny. It's just annoying. When coming up to an empty register don't say oh you look bored. Again been there done that. 

17. Last don't be that customer that tries to come in 5 mins before we close especially holiday season. I have people try to barge their way in. Sorry not happening should've come sooner. 

If you follow most of these you will have a great day shopping. The employees will like you if you are a frequent customer and may reward you more as well for that loyalty. 

here's one the cashiers love. pick out a very expensive bottle of liquor, and then pay for it with a bag of nickels & pennies. always gets a laugh.

Working in retail for 15 yrs (Literally half my life) I've realized and seen some pretty messed up things from employees and customers and management. However nothing drives an employee more crazy then when you are a professional to the customer and they show very little care in the world about you. 

First and foremost lets go over some rules

1. When Shopping if you need a cart don't go #####ing to the first employee you see. I've come into work with no uniform on yet getting ready to go to the lockers to put my stuff on and I already got someone in my face cause they know I work there. Calmly go to the Customer Service desk as they will gladly help

2. While shopping if you see an employee in a rush and our something in their hand like a cart or whatever they are either helping a customer, putting a display up or something else productive. Please either move out of their way quickly or pay attention. Other customers also hate people not paying attention. Time is money. 

3. If an employee has food in their hand they most likely are either going on break or going home. Please don't stop them to ask them questions. Some employees won't mind but for those having a rough day its the last thing they want is being bothered while on a break. Breaks are time in most companies. Most of the time an employee will be apologetic and say they aren't on the clock. Don't try to snake your way into them helping you

4. Please read all the advertising for sales. Some stores follow a producer where if you spend X amount for their product, or you need the app of the store internet coupon for the sale. Also when it says 10 for 10 unless it says must buy all 10 you don't need too. Don't argue with employee because you read the ad wrong. Just apologize for the in convince. If th product is wrong by our mistake we will depending on our policy let you get it for free or for the sale price at that time. My company has a if it's wrong and it is $10 or more it's free for the exception of electronics and alcohol sales. 

5. When at a register if it's an express don't be that clown that comes up with more items in their cart the what is said on the sign. If it's 10 or less or 15 or less don't come up with 20 or more items. 1-2 extra usually won't be an issue but just keep in mind some stores have charged in the past for bringing in more items. Also don't be that person complaining about the amount of items and trying to sucker a cashier into taking you. It's not fair if a customer buying 2-5 items comes up and has to wait for your lazy ### to be rung up simple cause you couldn't wait like an adult at another register. 

6. If a line is predominately for certain customers or items don't try to come into the lane unless an employee manager or cashier allows it. I work beer and wine in PA with some unusual alcohol laws and only have designated registers for beer/wine. Don't be that person who doesn't have those items and has 20 items get into a busy line during rush hour simple because it was the first line you saw. Most of the time I see the express has 1-2 people. Walk down there. It also upsets the customers coming in for that one item of beer/wine lemons/lime etc for their drinks. Now they are upset and when they get to me I get to hear about it. That person has one line they can go too while you have 3-4. 

7. When an employee asks for ID just do it. Don't yell at them as they don't make the rules. If you aren't satisfied with the cashiers response ask them nicely to call a manager over. Don't try to be an entitled jackass because it won't get you far. That usually makes the manager's job even easier and sides with their employee and not you. If a line is beginning behind when you leave apologize for any inconvenience

8. When going to a line please be ready. Have items up, method of payment ready, ID if needed and any coupons you have. A store type card or an internet rewards program can be typed into the EFT pad as well. Absolutely do not come in line while on your DAM PHONE!!! It is the rudest thing a customer can do. Some places such as getting your prescriptions at my local rite aide will refuse service to anyone who comes up on their phone. We cannot properly give you the Customer service you need or deserve if on the phone. If you are rung up and say Oh I forgot my card don't get mad at the cashier. You were on your phone thats your fault. Most of the time the cashier asks if you have the card or coupons but you were distracted on your phone. Either finish the call before coming in line or tell the person you will call back. 

9. If you have kids it's not our responsibility to watch them. Pay attention if they are in employees or customers way. I've had kids knock over displays and parents don't do anything and walk away like they didn't do anything. Pay attention when walking too. If you knock something over apologize and offer to help clean it up. People run into my floral section at work constantly as they aren't paying attention knocking flowers over that have buckets of water in them. it inconveniences us to pick up after you.

10. When in line if theres a huge line go to customer service and ask if they can get more cashiers. In no way do you tell them to call a manager up to check. Most managers don't know how and most stores the managers are not trained to check unless they run the department with the cashiers or behind the service desk. Most of the time managers can't be bothered coming up nor care. Trust me I've had ASD's, Grocery managers etc who refuse to not be bothered. 

11. When asking for a product and we say we don't have it in stock don't bully the person to go in the back and double check. If a person says we don't have it we don't have it right now. I've had someone tell me well a truck pulled in can you find it in there? Look lady I don't know if the product will even be on there as sometimes stuff we order doesn't come in. Second we get 5-10 pallets of stuff coming in not including whats back there. For me to check all of that right now will take up over an hour at least. If we don't have it we don't have it

12. If you have a complaint about an employee please tell the service desk and ASK FOR A MANAGER. Then go on the company website and file a customer complaint. Some managers don't care about customer complaining so your best corse of action to see results is email the company itself on the issue. It's the only way somethings are handled when higher ups get involved. 

13. This one bugs me a lot. Don't come into the store and if something is wrong or you feel you are not being treated well bring up you know someone in the company. If you are being a jerk we don't care. Also how are we suppose to know if you even know said person? I have guy who comes in constantly who is self-serving entitled jackass and brags how he knows one of the big shots in my company he apparently plays golf with. I think legit they only played twice and that was 10 yrs ago. 

14. Treat the employees the way you'd want to be treated. Don't come in like an entitled jackass. No one likes it not even the customer behind you. Their job as an employee is hard enough some days. Don't be that person that gets online with video for berating some cashier or customer. Like I already stated if you are one the manager is taking the employees side. Also if you see another customer belittling an employee or making comments don't be afraid to say something to them. You have a right to stand up for them. If you aren't comfortable get another employee or go up to the service desk and ask to see a manager ASAP. Also keep the discussions non controversial. No one wants to hear your political banter. We were running a fundraiser for the Haiti Hurricane victims yrs ago and the guy told the cashier he wasn't going to support those N***ers. He went on a tirade and my one manager kicked him out empty handed cops were called. Also if an employee is great don't hesitate to write a review, call the company and tell them what a great job they did etc. Most companies reward that employee with a free lunch or something. 

15. If you are in a big line if capable bag your stuff. Its brutal being a checker and the last thing the cashier wants to do is bag a $300-400 grocery order with a willing healthy customer just standing there and watching them. It's also rude as theres customers behind you. Don't be that person who says "oh I have to bag my own stuff?" no you don't have to but common courtesy if you have a lot is to help bag your stuff especially if the next thing that comes out of your mouth is complaining how the cashier bagged it. 

16. Cashiers hate the wise ### remarks. If it doesn't ring up don't say "Oh I guess is free" and that other bull####, We hear it enough and you aren't funny. It's just annoying. When coming up to an empty register don't say oh you look bored. Again been there done that. 

17. Last don't be that customer that tries to come in 5 mins before we close especially holiday season. I have people try to barge their way in. Sorry not happening should've come sooner. 

If you follow most of these you will have a great day shopping. The employees will like you if you are a frequent customer and may reward you more as well for that loyalty. 
Get out of retail. If you can't laugh at this stuff, it's time to move on.
I was in retail for sixteen years and don't miss a thing about it except
for some of the characters I used to work with.

Too many people in retail act like what they are doing is rocket science and get
stressed about it. It aint rocket science and their is nothing in retail to get that 
stressed about. You'll only learn this by leaving.   

Last edited by a moderator:
#15 is BS. If I want to bag all my stuff I’ll go to Aldi or Shop n Save or wherever else they don’t have baggers. Plus the checkers make so many errors you gotta watch em like a hawk and not worry about doing the stores job for them.

TL:DR (actually, I read a little)

I spent my entire career in retail. Either working for someone or working for myself. The customer is the only thing you have unless you are the only person with a specific product or a company that has much lower prices. (Think Walmart)

You dont have an unlimited number of customers, no matter how large your city is. Lose them, and you lose market share. People have a choice where they shop. The better their experience is, the more likely they are to return. 

I would also question your retail level. Owners or significant managers would not make the statements you just made. They know it would be a death knell.

Can't imagine working in retail. Have to work weekends and holidays when everyone else is off. Interface with customers, this applies to any customer facing position, not just retail. Sub optimal wages and silly uniforms, ugh.

here's one the cashiers love. pick out a very expensive bottle of liquor, and then pay for it with a bag of nickels & pennies. always gets a laugh.
Yep a customer paid a cashier recanting in coins. We had to accept it since it was money. It was just a ##### as the manager and cashier had to count the change and they had to send the 2 other customers to another register and open it as it took so long to do 

And don't ride the electric scooters unless you really need one. Old people staggering around while young punks joyride through the aisles. Not a good look.
I forgot about that one. Yeah when I worked at night especially on a Friday/Sat night or during the summer we had punks playing with these plus hanging on and playing with the kiddie carts outside. We also have a bench and table outside near our receiving area for Employees it says private property. In our shopping center anyone who works in the center can sit there not customers. It clearly says on a sign Private property no customers allowed. Yet we get young punk kids there constantly. My one major had to go to the hospital because punks broke glass bottles and they had to take glass out of his ###. I've also found needles dime bags and other #### there when cleaning in the morning. I've had to report this to the manager, property manager and local police 

What is this loyalty reward that you speak of?
Usually if you shop a lot and nice you will get some sort of special treatment. It shouldn't be but employees are more often ready to help you or let you get away with an expired coupon or let you use a rain check a certain way with their approval with manager permission of corse. 

#15 is BS. If I want to bag all my stuff I’ll go to Aldi or Shop n Save or wherever else they don’t have baggers. Plus the checkers make so many errors you gotta watch em like a hawk and not worry about doing the stores job for them.
Wrong this is complete bull####. Most of the stuff is done by Computer. Its usually a computer error. We have stuff we put in for sales and sometimes the CPU reads it wrong. Its not caught until theres an issue at the register. This isn't the old days where the cashier knows every price. Thats another thing I hate customers thinking you should know the prices of everything. In a huge store you don't know every price and theres no meetings start of sales week telling everyone what the sales are especially with shift work. If you are that paranoid about the cashier messing up theres always self check out you can use 

TL:DR (actually, I read a little)

I spent my entire career in retail. Either working for someone or working for myself. The customer is the only thing you have unless you are the only person with a specific product or a company that has much lower prices. (Think Walmart)

You dont have an unlimited number of customers, no matter how large your city is. Lose them, and you lose market share. People have a choice where they shop. The better their experience is, the more likely they are to return. 

I would also question your retail level. Owners or significant managers would not make the statements you just made. They know it would be a death knell.
It's more so talking about the customers who feel entitled to get whatever they want despite the company guideline or rules on sales or products or other rules a customer and employee have to obey. I hear I'm gonna shop else where all the time only to see these exact people in there shopping 2 days later. It's a bunch of empty threats. 

Yes you are correct on the customers aren't unlimited however theres a respect you should show the employees. Just because you have a better job doesn't mean you look down on people. I got a different uniform then others do to my department and its more professional shirt. I've noticed since starting to wear it I get treated with more respect amongst customers. Some also sometimes think I'm some sort of manager. I had one lady tell another employee yeah your manager over there helped me. She saw me and said he's not a manager he just works at another department so he has a different shirt. I didn't even tell her or act like I was a manager. I was just being friendly and professional. 

Can't imagine working in retail. Have to work weekends and holidays when everyone else is off. Interface with customers, this applies to any customer facing position, not just retail. Sub optimal wages and silly uniforms, ugh.
Absolutely sucks. I don't have a weekend unless take off. I use to have Sundays off as my manager knows I'm a huge Football/Eagles fan and knows is he schedules me during a game I'm not showing up or giving someone else my shift. At the time we had more people. Two of my co workers were fired in March for theft so I now work Sundays again. With Football that will change most likely. Working holidays suck. Recently in the past 3 yrs my company has now opened on Christmas. Honestly if I ever became a politician or President I'd fight for no retail hours on holidays (Including the Bull#### Black Friday sales on Thanksgiving night) and no work on Sundays. All retail business close at 6-7 PM on Saturdays. Lucky for me if I do work holidays this year my boss worked them last year and said she wouldn't so I'll have earlier hrs.

What sucks for me though is I have friends with 9-5 or 8-4 jobs and some have off Fridays and the weekend. When I'm off they are usually working. So when it comes to spending some ME TIME with your buddies it's really hard to navigate. And if you boss is a jackass who always screws with your schedule and doesn't give you off when you ask it, well it's even worse. 

Maybe you should change your closing time to five minutes earlier. If you don't have the authority to change closing hours then suck it up and do your job.

If I own a retail establishment and find my employees are turning away clients before closing hours someone is going to be looking for a new job.

Get out of retail. If you can't laugh at this stuff, it's time to move on.
I was in retail for sixteen years and don't miss a thing about it except
for some of the characters I used to work with.

Too many people in retail act like what they are doing is rocket science and get
stressed about it. It aint rocket science and their is nothing in retail to get that 
stressed about. You'll only learn this by leaving.   
oh I just laugh at a lot of it. We joke amongst ourselves about the bad ones especially regulars who come in acting like they are owed the world. I'm in another department so I don't get to deal with the everyday customer. I have my regulars but I would say outside 3-5 of my regulars I can't stand the others are great. My one co worker Is a real riot complaining about customer. Dude is retired working there for I don't know why in his 60s and the way he impersonates the bad customers and some of our not popular co workers is funny. I'm one of the younger people who's been there the longest. I always tell the newer people get out when you can and don't come back. I had a plan of how long I'd be there. Well a few things out of my hands happened and I've been there much longer then I thought so I've made the best of it. I don't drive and work is a 10 min walk plus I got bennies. Wish I got more money and had full time but I'm better off then a lot of people in retail are. Some of my coworkers travel 30-45 mins to work Daily each way. Sometimes longer do to traffic. 

Maybe you should change your closing time to five minutes earlier. If you don't have the authority to change closing hours then suck it up and do your job.

If I own a retail establishment and find my employees are turning away clients before closing hours someone is going to be looking for a new job.
Its more or less you know we're closing in 5 mins and then you take 10 mins to get what you want. My department legally by state has to close by 10PM. I've had people try and get beer/wine at 10:30 at night. Sorry but the designated registers are closed and if the employee over there is doing their job they are giving warning like half hour/15/5/2mins. My register at 10 locks as well so if you behind someone who takes 5 mins and it's 10PM by the time I'm done with the person in front legally I have to turn them away. Even if I wanted to ring them my register wouldn't allow it. I don't mind the hey I need milk real quick people. Its the I'm just going in for 1 item and start doing a whole $300 order 15 mins before closing and then throw a fit when we say we are closing can you bring what you have to the register. Read the signage. 

I mean Ive been that person before with an emergency who had to go in a store 5 mins before close. However I didn't lollygag and spend 10-15 mins looking at other stuff. I grabbed what I needed went up to the register, apologized for being that customer and left and wished the employees still there a good night. We had a customer on New Years eve complain and then go to corporate to complain about my ASD (Who happens to be my girlfriend) about her making announcements about the store closing as she felt rushed and it was offensive to her. She was very professional about it and mentioned something like everyone would like to be with family like you as well. My SD heard about it and my President and VP of company and they all laughed at it. I'd hate to see how she reacts to something that is offensive. 

oh I just laugh at a lot of it. We joke amongst ourselves about the bad ones especially regulars who come in acting like they are owed the world. I'm in another department so I don't get to deal with the everyday customer. I have my regulars but I would say outside 3-5 of my regulars I can't stand the others are great. My one co worker Is a real riot complaining about customer. Dude is retired working there for I don't know why in his 60s and the way he impersonates the bad customers and some of our not popular co workers is funny. I'm one of the younger people who's been there the longest. I always tell the newer people get out when you can and don't come back. I had a plan of how long I'd be there. Well a few things out of my hands happened and I've been there much longer then I thought so I've made the best of it. I don't drive and work is a 10 min walk plus I got bennies. Wish I got more money and had full time but I'm better off then a lot of people in retail are. Some of my coworkers travel 30-45 mins to work Daily each way. Sometimes longer do to traffic. 
Your ahead of the game if you realize it's not how much you make but how much you spend.
Recognizing that you control your situation and can change it will keep the bad days to a minimum.

In Maine some retail and fast food places pay $10/hour so to take home $230 to $250 you have to work
30 hours-that's if you can get that. If you find a job that eventually pays $15/hour you take home the same
working 20 hours a week.

I don't know the cost of living/wages in Philly, but I wouldn't commute for any job that doesn't pay well.

Absolutely sucks. I don't have a weekend unless take off. I use to have Sundays off as my manager knows I'm a huge Football/Eagles fan and knows is he schedules me during a game I'm not showing up or giving someone else my shift. At the time we had more people. Two of my co workers were fired in March for theft so I now work Sundays again. With Football that will change most likely. Working holidays suck. Recently in the past 3 yrs my company has now opened on Christmas. Honestly if I ever became a politician or President I'd fight for no retail hours on holidays (Including the Bull#### Black Friday sales on Thanksgiving night) and no work on Sundays. All retail business close at 6-7 PM on Saturdays. Lucky for me if I do work holidays this year my boss worked them last year and said she wouldn't so I'll have earlier hrs.

What sucks for me though is I have friends with 9-5 or 8-4 jobs and some have off Fridays and the weekend. When I'm off they are usually working. So when it comes to spending some ME TIME with your buddies it's really hard to navigate. And if you boss is a jackass who always screws with your schedule and doesn't give you off when you ask it, well it's even worse. 
I love being off during the week - less crowds and traffic, so its easier to get stuff done.

Working holidays is also great, though I can understand this isn't true in many jobs.

Wrong this is complete bull####. Most of the stuff is done by Computer. Its usually a computer error. We have stuff we put in for sales and sometimes the CPU reads it wrong. Its not caught until theres an issue at the register. This isn't the old days where the cashier knows every price. Thats another thing I hate customers thinking you should know the prices of everything. In a huge store you don't know every price and theres no meetings start of sales week telling everyone what the sales are especially with shift work. If you are that paranoid about the cashier messing up theres always self check out you can use 
I've had cashiers double ring up an item twice this year, one of the times was a ham for Easter. This store believes in service and has no self checkouts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sympathetic to #3  and agree whole heartedly with #5 and #9.

I'm sorry but this is a 10 rule or less forum  and you'll have to take anything more than that to The Political Forum.

The BS part was bagging your own groceries. I buy a lot of produce and they often type in the wrong code or whatever or scan things twice, etc.

Your ahead of the game if you realize it's not how much you make but how much you spend.
Recognizing that you control your situation and can change it will keep the bad days to a minimum.

In Maine some retail and fast food places pay $10/hour so to take home $230 to $250 you have to work
30 hours-that's if you can get that. If you find a job that eventually pays $15/hour you take home the same
working 20 hours a week.

I don't know the cost of living/wages in Philly, but I wouldn't commute for any job that doesn't pay well.

I'm only leaving my current job for FT with benefits. I make $13.40 Per hour. I worked there since I was 16 when Minimum waged in PA was $5.25 now 9.50 I believe or 8.50. The store one manager wants full time is 10 mins away I can bus or uber to but I told him I won't just come work for him perminately unless he gets me full time and Sundays off. I make without taxes 1620 or so a month if I keep a 30hrs avg per month. I pay 300 rent to my parents. Honestly if I were to move out I couldn't live in the city as I do not get paid a living wage. I'd either have to room with someone or rent a cheap rundown place in a bad neighborhood probably further from me. 

I know the SD at another store he's trying to get more full time. He wants to pay me almost as much as some managers department wise get with the hope of me running my own department at some point. If I need hrs and he can afford to give them to me I can go to his store and pick them up as long as I don't go over 35hrs which would be OT in PA

I love being off during the week - less crowds and traffic, so its easier to get stuff done.

Working holidays is also great, though I can understand this isn't true in many jobs.
Less crowds is all I like especially for movies during the school year. But I'm one who likes more crowds. If I go anywhere its by public transit and there more people my age out during the weekends. Holidays at my job suck as I work food retail. I get holiday pay even not working a holiday if I go in the day before and after I was scheduled and don't call out. So technically holidays are more volunteer for me. 

The BS part was bagging your own groceries. I buy a lot of produce and they often type in the wrong code or whatever or scan things twice, etc.
Ok I can see that however it's more proper etiquette being compliant to other customers type thing. You don't have to brag it but and most won't care if it's a small order. However you have a $300 order you should try to help after you pay 

I saw the title and thought this was going to be about people getting in multiple lines for registers and not following "first come first serve" as registers become open, when they can just as easily all form one line so people get taken care of in the order they got there.

You know, something real and valid.

I've had cashiers double ring up an item twice this year, one of the times was a ham for Easter. This store believes in service and has no self checkouts.
I can't comment on specifics but perhaps these cashiers were new. Also most cashiers if paying attention will know if they ring up an item wrong and will even tell the customer if using proper customer service hey I rang this up twice but you see the bolded/red/etc color means I did take it off. 

I saw the title and thought this was going to be about people getting in multiple lines for registers and not following "first come first serve" as registers become open, when they can just as easily all form one line so people get taken care of in the order they got there.

You know, something real and valid.
This is real and valid. it's about not acting like an entitled jerk looking down on people. However you have a point on the lines. I've had a person non alcohol butt right in front of a person with beer and sent them packing to another line. They complained to my manager the person who I rang up told the manager the person had more then 10 items and butt right in front of them almost knocking their child over. And I had every right not to take that person. 

Shark move is to go at times when it's not crowded and you avoid 99% of problems.  No lines. No kids. Not even many people, except us other sharks. The problems are inconsiderate people. In fact, inconsiderate people are the majority of the world's problems these days, IMO. 

Users who are viewing this thread