What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Hayden Hurst, LAC (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
Hayden Hurst was so overlooked in his rookie season that he didn’t even receive his own thread. Mark Andrews is now the more popular Ravens TE to roster; however, Hurst was a first round draft pick and his ADP has dropped to the point where he might now be considered as the “value play.”

Last edited:
Ravens selected South Carolina TE Hayden Hurst with the No. 25 overall pick in the 2018 NFL draft.

Hurst (6’5/250) will be a 25-year-old rookie after spending two seasons in the Pittsburgh Pirates’ organization, then three with the Gamecocks, tallying a career 100/1,281/12.8/3 receiving line and setting school records for a tight end in catches and yards. Hurst tested as a 46th-percentile athlete with 4.67 speed before the draft. Hurst is raw and old for a prospect, but he offers a plus pass-catching skill set and willingness to block. Even at his age, Hurst offers room for growth in a sport he wasn’t even focusing on four years ago. Hurst is yet another addition to an offensive skill group that has been complete overhauled in Baltimore.

Apr 26, 2018, 11:05 PM ET

An anonymous scout told Bob McGinn Football that South Carolina TE Hayden Hurst reminds him of Greg Olsen.

"He’ll be 25 starting this year (Aug. 24)," the scout said. "You’ll get seven years out of him. You get seven years out of somebody, that’s a pretty good player. Reminds me of Greg Olsen. He’s quicker and more maneuverable than (Mike) Gesicki." The biggest concern for scouts seems to be that age -- Hurst was a minor league pitcher for the Pirates before enrolling at South Carolina -- but the lack of projection can be both a blessing and a strength, particularly when it comes to his blocking. Hurt will go in the first two rounds, and there's a real chance he'll be the first tight end off the board.

SOURCE: Bob McGinn Football

Apr 24, 2018, 8:25 PM ET

Bob McGinn Football's Mark Eckel has South Carolina TE Hayden Hurst ranked as his No. 1 tight end.

Hurst will begin his age 25 season as a rookie, something that is usually a concern for most prospects but one scout said "You’ll get seven years out of him. You get seven years out of somebody, that’s a pretty good player. Reminds me of Greg Olsen." Another scout views Hurst as a player that is a little rough around the edges and said, "He’s got to be your No. 3 or No. 4 option on offense... His blocking game is still coming around... He’s still just learning the game." Rotoworld's Thor Nystrom gave Hurst a second-round grade and has him as the 48th overall prospect on his top-400 big board. He will likely be drafted in the late first or early second round.

SOURCE: Bob McGinn Football

Apr 22, 2018, 2:56 PM ET

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. lists South Carolina TE Hayden Hurst as his favorite tight end prospect in the 2018 draft class.

Kiper says that it's neck-and-neck as to whether Hurst or South Dakota State TE Dallas Goedert as his "best" tight end, but he lists Hurst as his favorite because of his willingness to block. The former Gamecock has faced some criticism because of his age (25) but Kiper mentions it as a potential plus, because "you know what you're going to get." Hurst has been linked to the Patriots this draft cycle, and he could be a fit for them late in the first or early in the second.

SOURCE: ESPN

Apr 21, 2018, 7:45 PM ET

NFL.com Draft Analyst Mike Mayock believes that South Carolina TE Hayden Hurst's blocking separates him from the rest of the tight ends.

Hurst currently ranks as Mayock's top tight end over players like South Dakota State Dallas Goedert, Oklahoma's Mark Andrews and Penn State's Mike Gesecki. Some analysts have concerns about the lack of upside in the former Gamecocks tight end, as he's "physically maxed out" and turns 25 before his first NFL game. Still, because he's an effective receiver and blocker, he has a real chance to be the first at his position to come off the board.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Feb 26, 2018, 6:13 PM ET

South Carolina TE Hayden Hurst ran the 40-yard dash in 4.67 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Hurst (6'4/250) was one of the top performers at his position with his 40-yard dash time on Saturday, tying with Mark Andrews and topped only by Jaylen Samuels and Mike Gesicki. Not only does Hurst have palatable upside as an offensive performer, he's also a strong blocker -- something that cannot be said about either Andrews or Gesicki. He'll likely be drafted in Round 2 come April, but we aren't completely dismissing the possibility he could sneak in near the end of Round 1.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 3, 2018, 5:50 PM ET

Tough situation last season but I still like the upside of a TE with a QB like Jackson. Grow together... Andrews is a problem but it's not out of the question that the 2 TEs becomes the top targets (for whatever that's worth) going forward.

Andrews has stolen some of his thunder. Still, I see a good opportunity to buy if you can get him on the cheap (late 3rd - 4th, or, another player with late ADP you can afford to move on from)

Agreed that he's a nice value - I posted some things about that last offseason and this offseason in another thread.

2 main factors in his favor: 1st round TEs have historically had a pretty strong track record, and good TEs usually show something in their 2nd season. That gives reason to think that he had reasonably good odds coming into the league, and his unimpressive rookie year doesn't hurt his chances that much, and you won't have to wait on him forever (if he doesn't show more this year then it'll be pretty safe to move on).

Agreed that he's a nice value - I posted some things about that last offseason and this offseason in another thread.

2 main factors in his favor: 1st round TEs have historically had a pretty strong track record, and good TEs usually show something in their 2nd season. That gives reason to think that he had reasonably good odds coming into the league, and his unimpressive rookie year doesn't hurt his chances that much, and you won't have to wait on him forever (if he doesn't show more this year then it'll be pretty safe to move on).
He’s about to be 26 in August so it’s now or never

While I think Hurst and Andrews are both decent TE's, how can anyone catching passes from Lamar have a rosy outlook?  He averaged 13 completions as the starter.  And here is the worst part - he went 6-1 as a starter, so I doubt his staff is telling him to start airing it out.

While I think Hurst and Andrews are both decent TE's, how can anyone catching passes from Lamar have a rosy outlook?  He averaged 13 completions as the starter.  And here is the worst part - he went 6-1 as a starter, so I doubt his staff is telling him to start airing it out.
The optimistic line of thinking is that Lamar was put into an offense designed for Joe Flacco and they did the best they could to improvise an offense on the fly to play to Lamar's strength but this year they will have had a whole off season to implement a passing game that gives Lamar a better chance to succeed. That's the theory at least...

The optimistic line of thinking is that Lamar was put into an offense designed for Joe Flacco and they did the best they could to improvise an offense on the fly to play to Lamar's strength but this year they will have had a whole off season to implement a passing game that gives Lamar a better chance to succeed. That's the theory at least...
You would've expected him to dial down the runs as the season went on, but he couldn't help himself.  Only 5 NFL RB's logged more carries once he became the starter.  Hell, in his final game he had 20 carries.  When your QB is putting up RB1 stats, it's tough to put up WR1, WR2, WR3, or TE1 stats.

You would've expected him to dial down the runs as the season went on, but he couldn't help himself.  Only 5 NFL RB's logged more carries once he became the starter.  Hell, in his final game he had 20 carries.  When your QB is putting up RB1 stats, it's tough to put up WR1, WR2, WR3, or TE1 stats.
Not disagreeing, just saying that's the optimistic theory

How do we see the Ravens usage of Hurst and Andrews? So many teams seem to leverage two pass catching TEs that helps with jumbo packages and creating mismatches on the field, but this definitely impacts the upside any one of those TEs have on their own.

This seems like one of those cases.

How do we see the Ravens usage of Hurst and Andrews? So many teams seem to leverage two pass catching TEs that helps with jumbo packages and creating mismatches on the field, but this definitely impacts the upside any one of those TEs have on their own.

This seems like one of those cases.
Agreed, but the production might be higher than you think.

Good breakdown on how Roman might deploy Andrews, Hurst and Boyle here.

Hayden Hurst caught 3-of-3 targets for 71 yards and a touchdown in the Ravens' Week 14 win over the Bills.

Freed by play action, Hurst got behind the entire defense on his 61-yard touchdown in the third quarter. Today was easily Hurst's best game of the season, and there could be more where that came from with Mark Andrews battling a knee issue. Even if Andrews misses Week 15 against the Jets, Hurst will be a low-floor TE2, as Nick Boyle will also be involved as a pass catcher.

Dec 8, 2019, 6:51 PM ET

Is anyone rolling with Hurst this week (assuming Andrews is out)?  Over whom?

I have Jared cook, Everett,  and Rudolph.  Just picked up Hurst with Rudy the only other healthy option.  Cook is an easy call if he clears protocol, but I'm far from confident that he will - and Hurst plays Thursday. 

-OZ- said:
Is anyone rolling with Hurst this week (assuming Andrews is out)?  Over whom?

I have Jared cook, Everett,  and Rudolph.  Just picked up Hurst with Rudy the only other healthy option.  Cook is an easy call if he clears protocol, but I'm far from confident that he will - and Hurst plays Thursday. 
I'm rolling with him because he's literally my only choice. Even if Andrews plays :(

The Athletic's Jeff Howe reports there's a "real chance" the Ravens "move" third-year TE Hayden Hurst this offseason.

Hurst was the No. 25 overall pick in the 2018 draft but is already going to turn 27 this year. Mark Andrews, drafted in the third round that same year, has breezed past Hurst on the depth chart, as Hurst has just a combined 43-512-3 receiving line across 28 career games. Hurst should have a market, but the Ravens can't expect more than a Day 3 pick. Andrews and Nick Boyle are Baltimore's top two tight ends.

SOURCE: Jeff Howe on Twitter

Feb 24, 2020, 7:35 PM ET

It seems every year that high draft picks who have underachieved will be officially available for trade entering their 3rd or 4th year.  Rarely are they actually traded.  But I'm sure the Ravens would be ecstatic to get some value in return for Hurst.

Ravens traded TE Hayden Hurst to the Falcons.

The Ravens also traded a 2020 fourth-round pick in return for the Falcons' 2020 2nd- and 5th-round picks. Trade rumors have surrounded the former first-round pick all offseason. Hurst was solid in 2019, catching 30-of-39 targets for 349 yards and a pair of scores. Still, he routinely worked behind both Mark Andrews and Nick Boyle. Hurst is a bit faster than Austin Hooper and could feasibly work as the No. 3 option in one of the league's most pass-heavy offenses in 2020. Note that Hurst (26) is actually older than Hooper (25).
Hurst might possibly be an upgrade on the departed Austin Hooper and Ravens swap their 4th for a 2nd and 5th? Both sides win here.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a comparison between Hurst & some other youngish TEs in another thread, starting here. One of the things I posted there:

By 2019 overall PFF grade: Higbee, Dissly, Everett, Hurst, Jonnu Smith, Irv Smith, Thomas

By 2018-19 receiving DYAR: Higbee, Dissly, Jonnu Smith, Hurst, Everett, Thomas, Irv Smith

By my formulaic TE projections formula: Hurst, Irv Smith, Dissly, Higbee, Thomas, tie between Everett & Jonnu Smith

By 2018-19 receiving yards: Higbee, Everett, Jonnu Smith, Hurst, Thomas, Dissly, Irv Smith

By 2018-19 receiving YPT: Dissly, Jonnu Smith, Higbee, Hurst, Everett, Irv Smith, Thomas

All of these comparisons are somewhat unfair to Irv Smith since he's just a rookie. A big part of the case for Irv Smith (and to a lesser extent Hurst) is based on draft position or what you thought of them coming into the league.

Such a well run organization overall.  

Anybody have a view on Hurst in terms of talent?
I think he's every bit as good as Hooper, with the caveat that I don't think either is all that good. Atlanta's system is great for a TE though. There is so much empty space between Julio and Ridley, and Matt Ryan isn't a QB who typically forces passes, if someone is open he's the target.

Such a well run organization overall.  

Anybody have a view on Hurst in terms of talent?
He has a lot of talent.  Baltimore wasn't working out for him because they had Hurst who is a good blocker and Andrews played the "move" TE role.  They actually had within one snap of each other.  Athletic, but not better than an average route runner.

Much like in college, Hurst  is a weapon in the redzone.  SC would even use him on the jet sweep a few times at the goaline.  Picked him up as a free agent in dynasty and am stoked for this, although think redraft value is higher due to age.

Well an organization you just praised thought he was worth a first round pick.
So did Atlanta apparently. I had read a report right after the 2018 draft that Atlanta had their sights set on taking Hurst but Baltimore took them one spot before they drafted. They drafted Ridley instead and just basically turned Sanu into Hayden Hurst so strong job by Atlanta.

And put me down as one who thinks Hurst is every bit as good as Hooper. Does not have that special relationship or rapport with Ryan that Hooper had but every bit as good.

I've thought during this whole off-season Atlanta's total lack of interest in retaining Hooper was odd. Especially in a light TE market. I get it now.

And last thing is this is a great lesson for dynasty owners for why you should use what I call the Paul Masson theory of roster management. You should never cut any player before it's time. I'm in 8 dynasty leagues and I'm the one holding onto Hayden Hurst, and 2 of them are FFPC. In two of those leagues I picked him up in last week just on thought he might get traded. Some leagues he was not rostered with the off-season started but a few he was and those owners cut him when we have no need to do cuts until March 31. Now I think in the rookie drafts he's easily the top TE chosen and I could even see him being a late first in FFPC leagues.

Best case scenario for Hurst was to be traded. This is a great spot for him and he obviously becomes the TE1 for the Falcons and we get to see what he can do with it. Low mileage, 3rd year TE that just got a huge jump in value. I was unable to add him in the few leagues he was dropped last season but held in the one were I drafted him. 

And last thing is this is a great lesson for dynasty owners for why you should use what I call the Paul Masson theory of roster management. You should never cut any player before it's time. I'm in 8 dynasty leagues and I'm the one holding onto Hayden Hurst, and 2 of them are FFPC. In two of those leagues I picked him up in last week just on thought he might get traded. Some leagues he was not rostered with the off-season started but a few he was and those owners cut him when we have no need to do cuts until March 31. Now I think in the rookie drafts he's easily the top TE chosen and I could even see him being a late first in FFPC leagues.
You have to be careful with TEs and QBs in your roster management.  Hard to hold more than one "project" type of player across those.  I see some owners that take a flyer on a TE almost once a year in rookie drafts and, absent an early breakout, end up cutting them too early.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to be careful with TEs and QBs in your roster management.  Hard to hold more than one "project" type of player across those.  I see some owners that take a flyer on a TE almost once a year in rookie drafts and, absent an early breakout, end up cutting them too early.
In-season yes to the bolded and for that matter don't disagree with anything  you are saying. 

But my point was regarding right now, the off-season, not regular season roster management. Until March 31st in FFPC and most of my dynasty leagues you have unlimited roster size. In some of those leagues people cut Hayden Hurst in last few weeks when they had no reason to make any cuts.

Totally depends on roster size. Small leagues I'm in complete agreement. Larger, I'll take a couple flyers.

In-season yes to the bolded and for that matter don't disagree with anything  you are saying. 

But my point was regarding right now, the off-season, not regular season roster management. Until March 31st in FFPC and most of my dynasty leagues you have unlimited roster size. In some of those leagues people cut Hayden Hurst in last few weeks when they had no reason to make any cuts.
Yeah.  Never understand why people cut early

10 Early Free Agency Winners & Losers (2020 Fantasy Football)

Excerpt:

Hayden Hurst (TE – ATL)
“This has to be Hurst, as he goes from the shadows of Mark Andrews to the clear-cut TE1 for the Falcons, which is extremely attractive from a fantasy perspective. I’m not someone who believes Austin Hooper is a superior player to Hurst, and clearly, neither do the Falcons. They drafted him in the third round and he produced well, yet they still moved on and traded a second-round pick for Hurst. They obviously value the position that saw 121 targets in their offense last year. With Jaeden Graham next up on the depth chart, it’s not out of the possibility that Hurst nears 100 targets in 2020 and becomes a top-six fantasy tight end.”
– Mike Tagliere (FantasyPros)

Users who are viewing this thread