What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Primary Challenge to Pres. Trump? (1 Viewer)

Would you like to see a primary challenger to President Trump?

• I typically vote Republican and would like to see a primary challenger

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • I typically vote Republican and would NOT like to see a primary challenger

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I typically vote Democratic and would like to see a primary challenger

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • I typically vote Democratic and would NOT like to see a primary challenger

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I typically vote independent/3rd party/don’t vote and would like to see a primary challenger

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • I typically vote independent/3rd party/don’t vote and would NOT like to see a primary challenger

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters

D_House

Footballguy
I almost certainly live and consume media in a bubble but I remain surprised that there’s no discussion of a serious primary challenge to President Trump. I know such a challenge would be unusual but President Trump is such an unusual political figure, and 2016 such an unusual election, that I really thought we’d see a legitimate movement on the Republican side for a primary.

I’m particularly interested in the input of any ‘never Hillary’ Republican voters that ‘held their nose’ and voted for President Trump.

I support Trump, but I would like to see a primary challenge.  I always want to see a primary challenge.  It ensures the candidate remains in touch and accountable to their party platform.  Sadly, National campaigns are too expensive so there won’t be a serious challenge.  

Could’ve said that about Obama , Bush , Clinton , Bush , Reagan etc
Sure. But I think most of those people would have been considered “mainstream” within the context of their party. I think Trump has fundamentally changed the GOP - and while many conservatives are uncomfortable with the direction, they are afraid to speak up. 

The only possible challenger would be Romney and we know what the Democrats did to him last time.  They said he took a guys health care away and was responsible for his death, bullied kids in school, and put the dog on the car roof.  

Joe Biden said he wanted to put black people back in chains and and Harry Reid claimed he had a source that Romney never paid taxes (which he admitted he was lying about after the election.)

So know there won’t be a challenger to Trump, especially since he’s so popular with republicans. 

Sure. But I think most of those people would have been considered “mainstream” within the context of their party. I think Trump has fundamentally changed the GOP - and while many conservatives are uncomfortable with the direction, they are afraid to speak up. 
The GOP so screwed up that I am not sure there is anyone else I would consider voting for if they somehow defeated Trump in a primary

Independent. A challenger would make for some sweet ratings for some network. It would be like a Trump tune up fight before the championship. They used to do that in boxing. You'd get a tomato can and beat him up 6 months before the championship fight.

The only possible challenger would be Romney and we know what the Democrats did to him last time.  They said he took a guys health care away and was responsible for his death, bullied kids in school, and put the dog on the car roof.  

Joe Biden said he wanted to put black people back in chains and and Harry Reid claimed he had a source that Romney never paid taxes (which he admitted he was lying about after the election.)

So know there won’t be a challenger to Trump, especially since he’s so popular with republicans. 
This is why I  :lmao:  when Democrats talk about taking the high road.  

knowledge dropper said:
This is why I  :lmao:  when Democrats talk about taking the high road.  
:goodposting:

I sure as hell haven’t forgot what Democrats did to my boy Mitt and never will. That’s why I’m glad every time they attempt some of the same tricks they tried before Trump throws it right back in there face.  

Democrats love moderate Republicans and then the moderate Republican they loved becomes the ultimate extremist punching bag in the general. Best to nominate who you want to nominate.

And I detest that conservatives haven't been able to cobble together the coalitions that Trump has been able to cobble together. Anyone see polling by state yet? It's not the raw popular numbers, it's the Blue Wall again.

Interesting that Democrats are less in favor of a Republican primary challenger than are Republicans. My guess is that this is based on the perception of Pres Trump as a weak candidate and a preference for him to be the Democratic candidate’s opponent?

Yeah I am aware of Weld’s challenge but apart from his announcement date I don’t think I’ve heard a thing about him since. So I don’t consider him a serious challenger.

From my perspective, even if I’m a conservative voter that’s willing to overlook President Trump’s eccentricities, I worry about his polling in battleground states and seriously wonder if a more conventional and less polarizing candidate would have a better chance in the general against a field of Democrats that have noticeably shifted to the left.

D_House said:

Interesting that Democrats are less in favor of a Republican primary challenger than are Republicans.

Where are you seeing this?

I see libs pining for Kasich or Weld or Romney all over Twitter (not to mention these forums). I've yet to see any conservative push for a challenger to Trump.

I see libs pining for Kasich or Weld or Romney all over Twitter (not to mention these forums). I've yet to see any conservative push for a challenger to Trump.
Just in this very unscientific poll attached to this thread - 7/9 respondents that would not want to see President Trump face a primary challenge identify as Democratic voters.

I'm not sure how you can come to this conclusion unless you define conservative as a Trump supporter. 

And even if so, up thread, knowledge dropper pretty clearly stated he'd like a challenger. 

Three have now announced their intent to vie for the GOP nom. Seems there is interest in a GOP primary from FBGs but I don’t know if that same interest exists IRL. Anyone with a better feel?

Three have now announced their intent to vie for the GOP nom. Seems there is interest in a GOP primary from FBGs but I don’t know if that same interest exists IRL. Anyone with a better feel?
There obviously is because 4 state GOP parties just shut down primary elections.

Users who are viewing this thread