What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Has anyone written a book? (1 Viewer)

JackReacher

Footballguy
This has been on my mind for many years, but I never felt I had the content to support it.

I now have an idea for a non-fiction book that I am passionate about. Not sure it has potential to be a commercial success, but you never know.

I am a writer by trade (journalist), but this would be my first long-form work of any kind, and I will be taking it on while maintaining a demanding full-time job and raising two young kids. 

Any advice or warnings :)  would be appreciated.

What sort of connections do you have via journalism?  Is there anyone who's published a book you can ask to put you in touch with their agent/publisher?

I never had, but i've designed a bunch of covers for friends/clients who have. 

Are you self publishing or trying to shop it?
As of now, the plan is to self-publish. But I figure I am at least a year away from that. Have spent six months researching.

Last edited by a moderator:
What sort of connections do you have via journalism?  Is there anyone who's published a book you can ask to put you in touch with their agent/publisher?
I work in television news, so not a ton of crossover there. I don’t know anyone in publishing, but work with many talent agents. Thats a great idea to consider.

As of now, the plan is to self-publish. But I figure I am at least a year away from that. Have spent six months researching.
GL. If you have any direct questions, I can forward them to my friends and see if they can help. One of my authors self-publishes through amazon. 

Once you get to the point you need a cover designed, let me know. This is some of my work

Just write a two-page letter a day, keep the subject the same, and in a week you'll have fourteen pages. In a month you'll have fifty-six pages, and by September you'll practically have a book. Farrelly, Peter. The Comedy Writer (p. 242). Crown/Archetype. Kindle Edition.

I've written two non-fiction business books that were published. 

I don't know how others do it, but I first outlined them into the chapters / subchapters. Once I had that down, I wrote every day. Sometimes an hour, sometimes 20 minutes, but every day I wrote something. Each book took me a few months. 

I went the traditional publishing route. I'm somewhat happy I did because it felt more 'real'. Anyone can self publish, but it takes something more to get published. Plus, first seeing my book on the shelf in a Vegas Barnes and Noble while on vacation was something I'll never forget. You're probably not getting that if you self publish.

That said, you make almost nothing when going with a publisher. I averaged about $1.50 a book, and sold about 5,000 of each (which is decent, but nothing superb - no NYT best seller list or anything). You also don't own the rights. My books are out of print now, and I don't own the writing, so they just rot - maybe if I owned the rights, I could update them/etc. 

Still, it was a good experience, and "published author" is something I'll always be. 

I might write another one at some point. 

Users who are viewing this thread