What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I'm not one who would usually boycott things... (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
Not saying I think it's dumb, but I guess I've never thought something bothered me that much where I'd stop buying something.  I mean, I'm someone who almost became a police officer.  And when I saw police say that it was time to boycott Ben & Jerry's because they were anti-cop, I thought, "But they make good ice cream."  Same way my good friend who's gay will still eat Chik-fil-A.  

At the same time, I totally respect people who are willing to boycott over something they believe in.  More power to them.  

With all that said, I think I finally found an example where I would boycott a company.  Basically, a NZ pizza place advertised a pizza with hamburger chunks on it.  But after a couple weeks, it was revealed that the hamburger was not a meat product, but a "plant-based meat product", whatever the hell that is.  Now, obviously this didn't affect me and I don't live in NZ.  But it got me thinking about if a company here in the States had done that.  Say Pizza Hut.  (And also, let's pretend I am a customer of Pizza Hut, since I'm not.)  Honestly, let's not say an actual company, and instead I want you to think of a food company you buy from and eat from and like.  But one day, they reveal something you've been buying and eating from them was not actually what they made it out to be.  

For me, I don't get caught up in the "But it's not like it's bad for you" argument.  Or that it might have tasted OK.  I'm more bothered that I'd never be able to trust them again.  What happens the next time when I order something and they replace it with beetles and maggots?  And that one doesn't taste good.  Again, for me, I'd never be able to eat something from them again without questioning what it was.  

Do you think this would impact the company enough to put them out of business?  My first thought was no, but the more I thought about it, the more I started to think, "maybe." 

Thoughts from the collective FFAers?

We sure this isn't just some viral marketing stunt for Beyond Meat?
I don't think so, but even if it was, I still wouldn't trust that company anymore.  Probably not a good business plan to pretend to put weird ingredients into your food hoping to fool people.  

Not saying I think it's dumb, but I guess I've never thought something bothered me that much where I'd stop buying something.  I mean, I'm someone who almost became a police officer.  And when I saw police say that it was time to boycott Ben & Jerry's because they were anti-cop, I thought, "But they make good ice cream."  Same way my good friend who's gay will still eat Chik-fil-A.  

At the same time, I totally respect people who are willing to boycott over something they believe in.  More power to them.  

With all that said, I think I finally found an example where I would boycott a company.  Basically, a NZ pizza place advertised a pizza with hamburger chunks on it.  But after a couple weeks, it was revealed that the hamburger was not a meat product, but a "plant-based meat product", whatever the hell that is.  Now, obviously this didn't affect me and I don't live in NZ.  But it got me thinking about if a company here in the States had done that.  Say Pizza Hut.  (And also, let's pretend I am a customer of Pizza Hut, since I'm not.)  Honestly, let's not say an actual company, and instead I want you to think of a food company you buy from and eat from and like.  But one day, they reveal something you've been buying and eating from them was not actually what they made it out to be.  

For me, I don't get caught up in the "But it's not like it's bad for you" argument.  Or that it might have tasted OK.  I'm more bothered that I'd never be able to trust them again.  What happens the next time when I order something and they replace it with beetles and maggots?  And that one doesn't taste good.  Again, for me, I'd never be able to eat something from them again without questioning what it was.  

Do you think this would impact the company enough to put them out of business?  My first thought was no, but the more I thought about it, the more I started to think, "maybe." 

Thoughts from the collective FFAers?
Wouldn't that be illegal in the US?  I'm not a lawyer so I'm not sure, but it seems like it would be illegal in the US to deceive your customers about the ingredients of food products.

Wouldn't that be illegal in the US?  I'm not a lawyer so I'm not sure, but it seems like it would be illegal in the US to deceive your customers about the ingredients of food products.
People in NZ thought the same thing.  Tried to bring up lawsuits.  But the pizza place was very careful how they worded it.  They knew they were being deceptive so they made sure it was within the bounds of being not misleading.  They used the term "burgers" which they said doesn't mean "meat."  They said burgers come in many different forms and contain many different things.  So they didn't do anything illegal.

I wonder if they could get sued. Here in the US someone might. It's "False Advertising" and could get people who have allergies and such upset.

My wife said she would be more upset the other way if they were advertising a "plant-based meat product" and it turned out to be beef.

I wonder if they could get sued. Here in the US someone might. It's "False Advertising" and could get people who have allergies and such upset.

My wife said she would be more upset the other way if they were advertising a "plant-based meat product" and it turned out to be beef.
And that's why I said, don't focus so much on what they did, but put it in a scenario where it would affect you.  Because I'm wondering if it would be enough to make you stop going there ever again.

For me, I think it would.

And that's why I said, don't focus so much on what they did, but put it in a scenario where it would affect you.  Because I'm wondering if it would be enough to make you stop going there ever again.

For me, I think it would.
The other thing could be the area you are in. If this is the only pizza place that delivers in your town, then you may not be boycotting!

My buddy used to have a BBQ every summer.  Big shindig.  Then a couple of years ago, after everyone was done eating the burgers, he said it was buffalo meat.  Thing is, I thought it tasted a little off, but ate it because I didn't want to be rude.  It wasn't super bad or anything.  But the thought of it made me sick after.  And I wasn't the only one.  People were really pissed off.  The next year, about half the people came, not including myself.  That was the last year he had it.  We're all still friends, but no one is trusting enough to eat something he cooks after he lied to us that year.

I had a buddy give me grief for drinking Coors last week.  I finished the beer and three more, but after after doing a bit of research, I realized there are a lot of other crap beers I can drink.

They didn't say ham-burger, so I don't understand what the fuss is about. Is a veggie burger not a burger?
There's the established assumption that absent any further descriptors, a burger is made from beef. 

Just like milk (at least here in the U.S.) is cow's milk.  If you are selling something with soy milk, almond milk, or raccoon's milk, you don't just call it milk.

There's the established assumption that absent any further descriptors, a burger is made from beef. 

Just like milk (at least here in the U.S.) is cow's milk.  If you are selling something with soy milk, almond milk, or raccoon's milk, you don't just call it milk.
Yeah, I understand, but all this talk of lawsuits/boycotts etc. is a little over the top IMO.

TheIronSheik said:
My buddy used to have a BBQ every summer.  Big shindig.  Then a couple of years ago, after everyone was done eating the burgers, he said it was buffalo meat.  Thing is, I thought it tasted a little off, but ate it because I didn't want to be rude.  It wasn't super bad or anything.  But the thought of it made me sick after.  And I wasn't the only one.  People were really pissed off.  The next year, about half the people came, not including myself.  That was the last year he had it.  We're all still friends, but no one is trusting enough to eat something he cooks after he lied to us that year.
I worked in Ohio for a utility company and our floor had a Christmas party. One of the guys brought chili. He admitted to anyone that asked that it was antelope meat. I thought it was rather tasty, but he avoided telling the women because he knew it would upset them.

As for me? I would've been overjoyed to know that I'd had buffalo meat.  But, that's just me...

I worked in Ohio for a utility company and our floor had a Christmas party. One of the guys brought chili. He admitted to anyone that asked that it was antelope meat. I thought it was rather tasty, but he avoided telling the women because he knew it would upset them.

As for me? I would've been overjoyed to know that I'd had buffalo meat.  But, that's just me...
As a child, the same uncle on the farm that gave all the kids Ike silver dollars also made great spaghetti with meat sauce.  Years later I found out he used squirrel meat.

I'd probably boycott that place to.  If  people are going to an establishment where their primary business is serving food--those people have a right to know exactly what they are ordering and eating.  It's not so much the legal issue I care about--but it's also a blatant disregard for peoples safety.  People could be allergic to the topping that they are running the misdirection on.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd probably boycott that place to.  If  people are going to an establishment where their primary business is serving food--those people have a right to know exactly what they are ordering and eating.  It's not so much the legal issue I care about--but it's also a blatant disregard for peoples safety.  People could be allergic to the topping that they are running the misdirection on.  
I don’t think they hid the ingredients, did they? They just identified it as a burger topping.

Also, people with severe food allergies usually are quite neurotic to make sure they’re not being exposed to an allergen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread