What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Yellow Jacket Super Nests (1 Viewer)

I have good memories of going out with my dad at dusk with a can of lighter fluid to do war on ground yellow jackets.
I likely would take a different approach, as lighter fluid directly into a hole in the ground isn't the most environmentally friendly policy, but there's some fine father-son bonding that can be done over bees on fire. 

Hey, maybe this means that they'll consolidate their empire into fewer nests which will make them easier to find and destroy?

In September of 2001 we discovered a bee/hornet/whatever nest in the wall of our house.  It was in our baby daughter's room, and we found it because we heard the humming and when we tracked it down, there were a bunch of antennae trying to get out of an electrical socket.  Holy carp!  We contracted with a pest company to come out and fix it.  I woke up early the next day to meet the person.

My wife later that morning came out, before the guy arrived, as I was eating breakfast in the kitchen and said in a sleepy voice, "a plane flew into the World Trade Center."  We turned on the TV and saw the 2nd hit.  Guy showed up later and said "OK whatever, let's go kill them critters$#@!"

I'll always associate 9/11 with that infestation.  

There are only two things that strike true cold fear in me.  These are one of them. 
I am seriously terrified of yellow jackets. Paper wasps are a few tiers below them. Followed by bald faced hornets and then carpenter bees. 

Honeybees and bumblebees are practically lapdogs compared to yellow jackets. 

I, for one, welcome our new Yellow Jacket overlords.

Side note - these little ####ers killed my mom 4 or 5 times but the paramedics kept bringing her back. She got caught up in a ground nest, she was in her 80's then with a heart that was getting progressively worse. Poison from all the stings just knocked the #### out of her. Luckily the chief of the fire department was a friend of ours and lived across the street. Heard the call and got to her quickly. Paramedics had to resuscitate her at the house once then 3-4 times on the way to the hospital. She was never the same after that event.

Some pests entered into the house in search of food and shelter and if they found it, they make their living arrangement there only like the super nests. Sometimes these nests become terrible in the house and it needs to be removed. One can do it by yourself or can call Pest Control Danbury CT in Danbury, CT area to control the pests in the house and any other area. My Uncle also called them for help.

MarjorieRiggs said:
these nests become terrible in the house and it needs to be removed
  1. Remove the house.
  2. Search for food and shelter.
  3. Ask your Uncle Danbury about their living arrangements.
  4. Sometimes they become terrible if some pests entered in search of food and shelter if they found it.
  5. Please call for help.
  6. One can do it by yourself.
  7. Super nests control the area.
:thanks:

I'm a biologist. And I'm not normally stricken with awe by Mother Nature as much as I used to be - but these pictures have done it. Check out the nest filling up the backseat of that old, rusted car. The locations of these nests are something we can all relate to as we've all lived with, or in the proximity of junk, basically. That's a good dose of how domesticated we've all become, and what nature is capable of when she goes unchecked. It's like seeing a 1000-pound man when you've never even heard obesity even existed.

If yellow jackets build nests under your eves or overhangs, remove them asap. And remove all the residue with some type of cleaning fluid. Even the slightest piece of nest that remains still contains a ton of pheromones and will attract yellow jackets/wasps/etc back in and around that same place again in the future..

How do you even let it get to that point? We had a softball sized nest under the overhang of our garage. I saw a two hornets flying around and I immediately knocked it down with a stick and stomped it out. Gotta nip that ish in the bud.

I, for one, welcome our new Yellow Jacket overlords.

Side note - these little ####ers killed my mom 4 or 5 times but the paramedics kept bringing her back. She got caught up in a ground nest, she was in her 80's then with a heart that was getting progressively worse. Poison from all the stings just knocked the #### out of her. Luckily the chief of the fire department was a friend of ours and lived across the street. Heard the call and got to her quickly. Paramedics had to resuscitate her at the house once then 3-4 times on the way to the hospital. She was never the same after that event.
Whoa

If yellow jackets build nests under your eves or overhangs, remove them asap. And remove all the residue with some type of cleaning fluid. Even the slightest piece of nest that remains still contains a ton of pheromones and will attract yellow jackets/wasps/etc back in and around that same place again in the future..
We've lived in our house for almost six years and never had anything nest in our carport or around the house.

This year I've taken down a total of six nests.  Paper wasps (smallish, chambered nests with holes exposed to view -- not enclosed), but with some vaguely yellow jacket features.  Was thinking it was weird they all found us at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
We've lived in our house for almost six years and never had anything nest in our carport or around the house.

This year I've taken down a total of six nests.  Paper wasps (smallish, chambered nests with holes exposed to view -- not enclosed), but with some vaguely yellow jacket features.  Was thinking it was weird they all found us at the same time.
You’ve been marked. Sorry

Sorry if you have shutters. 

“The most workers I have counted in a perennial nest is about 15,000 or about 3 to 4 times more than a normal nest,” said Ray, who is also a research fellow in Auburn University’s Department of Entomology and Plant Pathology. “However, one nest in South Carolina was documented with more 250,000 workers.”
"excuse me sir, please stop stinging me and let me see your papers."

Users who are viewing this thread