What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Summer is the worst season (1 Viewer)

Grading summer based on the quality of television is some good schtick.

Go outside.
Just an add-on.  I have a double lot so when I'm outside I'm either cutting grass/edging, playing golf, or playing with my grandkids in the pool.  Two of those activities are fun but the latter only occurs every other weekend or so as my kiddos live a couple hours south of here.  We go down there a lot too.  They're pre-school age so we can do those things, save swimming, all year round.  

VA and MD summers are indeed pretty malarial and just awful.
A part of me gets why someone south of I-70 would complain about summer.  Most of their winter's aren't too awful and the quantity of 90+ and humid days actually pile up.  There's the other part of me that says you moved there to get away from winter and this is the price though.  Above I-70?  Unless you're flooded it does not compute.  There's like 2-3 waves like this per summer.  And unlike the worst of winter you can still go outside anyway.  Where I live is generally more comfortable, but that's one of the reasons I moved here in the first place.  Deal with a lot more snow to get a summer filled with 80's.

My seasonal rankings:

Fall

Summer

Spring

Winter
This though I say a good spring day beats a good summer day the issue in the Midwest is there are a ton of 45 degree rainy spring days.  Those 70 degree plus spring days where you can air out the house are hard to beat.

You’ve never been to Michigan in the summer, have you?
Early July 2012 (forget the exact day) was the hottest day of my life and it was in Detroit. A couple got married in one of those old churches without air. People fainted, including the bride. Reception was at the Masonic temple, where the air didn’t work for the first 45 minutes. People just straight up left and then there was a fight at the end of the reception where guns came out. It was a day. 

Early July 2012 (forget the exact day) was the hottest day of my life and it was in Detroit. A couple got married in one of those old churches without air. People fainted, including the bride. Reception was at the Masonic temple, where the air didn’t work for the first 45 minutes. People just straight up left and then there was a fight at the end of the reception where guns came out. It was a day. 
We were at a wedding in Toledo that weekend.  Reception was outdoors  :lmao:   This was all right after some massive storms blew through there too.  Large sections of town were without power for days.  Don't remember if that was the hottest day ever, but it was close.  Over 100, but don't remember by how much.

What the heck is a biting fly?
I have been hunted by a biting horsefly in the woods before.  It is kind of terrifying and the bites hurt, like a strong pinch.

Apparently the females do it because they need animal blood to reproduce and they are related to other blood sucking insects.

IMO, much worse than the heat in Summer is the insects.  The only thing I truly despise about the Summer months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Capella said:
Try living in Florida. It is absolute hell here right now. 
Between 2016 and next month, I'll have been in FL 3 times in summer - A wedding at Epcot (hot pavement!), moving my stepdaughter for college (carrying furniture & boxes up a flight of steps), and next month moving my stepson (at least he's getting a ground floor apartment). 

It's like being on the surface of the sun, but humid.

Yeah this is the absolute worst time of year in Florida. We used to host exchange students from Europe on the summer and I always felt bad for the kids.  The heat right now is relentless.  But I love the weather the other 40 weeks or so.

Summer has grown on me here in NJ and I love having the extra daylight.   You need to plan your day appropriately to do the right activities for the right times of the day.  Any biking is done either in the early morning or late in the day.  All golf is done is the very early morning.   Actually have a 5:50 tee time tomorrow.  The rest of the day, you either want to be inside or by a body of water.   

Since location changes what the seasons mean I'll take the heat over cold.   Much rather be outside sweating than having to stay inside to keep warm.

Back to location, heat plus humid places in the summer suck almost as places where winters are so dreary that you rarely see the sun.  Give me all 4 seasons with the longest summer possible.

This is the exact reason why air conditioning belongs on the list of greatness inventions ever.

Yeah we do that occasionally.  What should I do with the other 99% of summer that is unbearably miserable 

I’m pushing 40 and have a wife and 3 kids.   Pretty rare I see anyone above a 7 out and about 
In Michigan? Home of the winterosaurous wimmens?  The view improves the further south you go.

Summer nights are the best nights there are in fact perhaps summer would be more enjoyable if we all became nocturnal like bats where we can just fly around like batman and then avoid the heat during the day and get to fight criminals by night since batman is a monster and the best superhero there is 

I don't much care for the summers here in NC. My favorite seasons from first to worst are:

Fall - Love the brisk air, changing of the leaves, the bugs depart, football is on, etc.

Winter - I don't mind the cold. Compared to some other states, our winters are pretty mild, yet we still get some snow (and sometimes ice). The mountains, especially around Boone, get more snow.

Spring - Feels great, but way too short.

Summer - Hot, humid, buggy, and too long. 

I don't much care for the summers here in NC. My favorite seasons from first to worst are:

Fall - Love the brisk air, changing of the leaves, the bugs depart, football is on, etc.

Winter - I don't mind the cold. Compared to some other states, our winters are pretty mild, yet we still get some snow (and sometimes ice). The mountains, especially around Boone, get more snow.

Spring - Feels great, but way too short.

Summer - Hot, humid, buggy, and too long. 
My biggest complaints would be the shortness of both spring and fall. 

Agree with OP.  Fall/Winter has Halloween, Thanksgiving, Xmas/New Years, the best holidays of the year.  Summer has unbearable heat.  It's a lot easier to warm up in unbearable cold than it is to cool off in unbearable heat.  Summer also has things like yellowjackets and ant infestations.  

Summer's a lot better as a kid.  

Agree with OP.  Fall/Winter has Halloween, Thanksgiving, Xmas/New Years, the best holidays of the year.  Summer has unbearable heat.  It's a lot easier to warm up in unbearable cold than it is to cool off in unbearable heat.  Summer also has things like yellowjackets and ant infestations.  

Straight up lie.

ONCE AGAIN, jump in a pool or lake (or even take a cold shower) and you are instantly cooled off.  I've been so cold multiple times that it takes a good 10-15 minutes to warm up.

Being too hot can be very uncomfortable, but being too cold is painful...like down in your bones aching painful.

Straight up lie.

ONCE AGAIN, jump in a pool or lake (or even take a cold shower) and you are instantly cooled off.  I've been so cold multiple times that it takes a good 10-15 minutes to warm up.

Being too hot can be very uncomfortable, but being too cold is painful...like down in your bones aching painful.
How do you cool off at work when the AC is on the fritz or in a building with no AC or if you need to do something outside?  Or if you're at a wedding or a picnic or any other outdoor activity where there is no pool to conveniently jump into.  

How do you cool off at work when the AC is on the fritz or in a building with no AC or if you need to do something outside?  Or if you're at a wedding or a picnic or any other outdoor activity where there is no pool to conveniently jump into.  
Use a fan, a misting bottle and/or drink a cold beverage.  All much better options than having to cover yourself in more clothes and shaking uncontrollably.

I work in an office that has both been without AC in July and heat in January at some point in the last few years. This probably belongs in the not debateable thread, but January is worse. Much much much worse. 

:lol:   Halloween.   

Wait, someone is complaining about summer in Michigan? My entire extended family is driving up from St. Louis to Michigan in 8 days. About 30 of us go every year in mid July. We stay in these 50's style cabins, straight out of the motor lodge from Dirty Dancing. Why do we go to Michigan? Because in St. Louis in mid July the temps hover around the upper 90's to low 100's with humidity above 90%. In Michigan, we go to the pool or beach during the day and wear sweatshirts at night, sitting around the campfire. Heck, the lodge we stay at didn't put in AC until about 6 years ago and we usually only need it a day or two. 

As for the bugs? Are you serious? One year, about 4 years go it was the hottest it has ever been and we needed the AC for about 5 days and for the first time ever we had mosquitoes. Everyone started asking if anyone had any bug spray. Of the 25 plus of us, some who had been going up to this same lodge for more than 30 years, none of us had bug spray. Why? We never needed it. 

Complain about the winters in Michigan, but the summers are heaven on earth. 

Wait, someone is complaining about summer in Michigan? My entire extended family is driving up from St. Louis to Michigan in 8 days. About 30 of us go every year in mid July. We stay in these 50's style cabins, straight out of the motor lodge from Dirty Dancing. Why do we go to Michigan? Because in St. Louis in mid July the temps hover around the upper 90's to low 100's with humidity above 90%. In Michigan, we go to the pool or beach during the day and wear sweatshirts at night, sitting around the campfire. Heck, the lodge we stay at didn't put in AC until about 6 years ago and we usually only need it a day or two. 

As for the bugs? Are you serious? One year, about 4 years go it was the hottest it has ever been and we needed the AC for about 5 days and for the first time ever we had mosquitoes. Everyone started asking if anyone had any bug spray. Of the 25 plus of us, some who had been going up to this same lodge for more than 30 years, none of us had bug spray. Why? We never needed it. 

Complain about the winters in Michigan, but the summers are heaven on earth. 
There may not be a better place in this country than northern/western Michigan in July.

Summer loving had me a blast ...

Fall is my preferred season, but Spring and Summer are not too far behind. And, I even enjoy camping in winter.

I really like the seasonal variance here in KY - we get a bit of it all, but not too extreme except for humidity at times.

Summer has always been a great time to be on the water. I have the Ohio city-side and there are lots of wonderful lakes and other waterways here. Canoeing has always been a big love of mine. It is perhaps the best way I have found to watch wildlife, as floating down stream is about as silent as it gets.

There may not be a better place in this country than northern/western Michigan in July.
You aren't kidding. It's amazing. 

Two years ago, we packed up the car in Michigan on Saturday morning to head home. It was 49 degrees when we loaded up at around 7:00 am. We got home around 5:00 pm. It was 97 with a heat index around 110. When I got out of the car, the heat took my breath away and I could feel the humidity hanging in the air. It was brutal. 

Yeah, these deck beers with steaks grilling, no shirt on, and music blaring are just miserable 
I can do all of those things in the spring and fall much more comfortably, we’ll aside from the no shirt thing but I have no use for that anyway 

Yeah, these deck beers with steaks grilling, no shirt on, and music blaring are just miserable 
Later in the day when the sun goes behind the trees, just perfect.   The mornings are pretty spectacular as well, but you need to have the discipline to get up early and take advantage of them.   Early morning summer bike rides are some of my favorites.  

Summer > Spring > Winter > Fall. Summer is by far the best season for these reasons:

• It is nice and warm, I am disappointed that my wife made us get air conditioning (first time in my life with AC), I liked sitting around in shorts in the heat.
  • More daylight = do more stuff
  • My birthday
  • No school (maybe more of a fond memory)

Later in the day when the sun goes behind the trees, just perfect.   The mornings are pretty spectacular as well, but you need to have the discipline to get up early and take advantage of them.   Early morning summer bike rides are some of my favorites.  
Yep, sun has fallen below all obstructions and the shirt's back on. What kinda psycho doesn't love this. 

Users who are viewing this thread